RedOctober 29-Jul-16
smarba 29-Jul-16
jjb4900 29-Jul-16
Bou'bound 31-Jul-16
Alpinehunter 31-Jul-16
Mad Trapper 01-Aug-16
Altizer 01-Aug-16
14-Jul-16
yeah, sucks he didn't get it. Crazy close shot!

I think they could have condensed it down from 3 episodes though.

14-Jul-16
His dad has a bunch of money , which helps. I think the kid is pretty level headed , hopefully he stays that way .

14-Jul-16
I think he is coached on what to say. He acts older than he is.

Could be wrong though.

14-Jul-16
Where was the show or where can I find it?

14-Jul-16

Rob Register's embedded Photo
Rob Register's embedded Photo
Having met the the Tapps several times and shared a table with their family at the sheep show, I was thoroughly impressed by this young man and his father. They are well grounded, great people who are working hard to produce a quality show. They are super friendly and humble. The highlight of my 8 year old's trip to the show was to meet legends like Tom Hoffman, Jack Frost, as well as the young hunters like Adam and Cam Foss and Lincoln Tapp. He is already asking me to take him back to the show next year. If you have young kids, I would encourage you to have them watch Young Wild.

14-Jul-16
That is a great picture Rob. A lot of generations of bowhunting right there.

14-Jul-16
Nicely done Rob!!!

In my next life, I want to come back as one of your sons!

The title of that pic could be "The modern legends of bowhunting!"

Mark

14-Jul-16
I like the kid and his show. Methinks if more of our youth were like that young man, we'd have a brighter future in this country. He may be coached on what to say a little bit, but just a little. You can't teach that.

14-Jul-16
Concur SDHTR. I watched every show last season. One episode was basically a summary of behind the scenes with the family and their family looks like the real deal. Seem to speak from the heart and it's definitely one of our favorite shows.

Cinematography is phenomenal.

24-Jul-16
The good news is he went on to the Yukon and got his mountain caribou. he shot it facing him, hit it in the side of the neck not far from the jawline and then proceeded to miss three follow-up shots before he was told to stop shooting.

the only arrow that hit, the first one, caught an artery and they did recover the bull.

check another one off the list to 29. on to the next one...........

This is not a knock on the young man.

none of us ever choose to MAKE a poor shot, but sometimes people choose to TAKE a poor shot.

The experienced adult who said "Shoot him in the chest" and then said afterward "I am proud of you" is providing questionable guideance in my opinion...............but I'm just some guy on the internet and he is a up and coming TV personality with a dream to be the youngest to 29 so he has to be doing something right.

24-Jul-16
Has he really accomplished anything? Some would say the beginnings of a sense of entitlement...

24-Jul-16
Seems like a good show. Good kid. Hunting helps them get and stay that way

24-Jul-16
I dont feel that the use of "entitlement" as a descriptor is accurate here. Entitlement is one of the scourges of this country at the present time. I don't believe this young man falls into that category.

Up to his folks to keep him grounded and on a good path. I've only watched a couple of the shows, but Judging by some of the comments above, it would seem that hisnfolks are doing an admirable job.

Judging this young man on an Internet forum feels very icky.

24-Jul-16
I guess I just can't relate to people (kids) who have everything handed to them. Many adults spend a lifetime to go on one hunt that he has done many of and talks as though it is normal life.

I've watched earlier seasons and episodes before this year and was not impressed. It's funny enough to watch some tv personalities disect the workings of a hunt, but to see a child do it just seems odd and out of place.

25-Jul-16
Normal is different for everyone. I had way more than my parents did as children and my daughter has more than I did. She is not entitled because we make her pay for things she can afford on what a 7 year old gets paid for taking care of chickens and cleaning the barn ;). If I had this guys money you can bet my kids would have "privileges" I never had or most don't. We might not all try to push our children to break records but most of us would give them too much. I can't fault this father and I haven't seen the show but it sounds like they are doing it pretty good

25-Jul-16
It is a very good show and the filming is excellent. it is great to see fathers and sons together.

25-Jul-16
I watched this show for the first time yesterday. That is one lucky kid! I would do anything for my bowhunting daughter to take her on trips like this. What an experience for father and son to share. Wondering about "entitlement", etc is just envy, only thing I can think of. Be happy for other folks success and you'll start being happier with your own.

25-Jul-16
Brotsky is a wise young man! Hat's off sir!

25-Jul-16
I appreciate your viewpoint(s).

But it is no different than all the distasteful comments made about hunting being catered to the "advantaged super-rich" by A LOT of people in the hunting community...

I guess it's ok, though, as long as it's the interaction and comradery between father and son (or daughter).

And yes, I have the means to take my kids on some hunts like that. And yes, I have taken one on a hunt that others clearly can not afford. And yes, I can and have given them more than I had. I, like many others, just don't flaunt it.

It's ok to disagree. Doesn't necessarily make it wrong to do so, but dare to be different and (you fill in the rest).

25-Jul-16
I'll throw my two cents in I suppose. I met the Tapps when I was fulfilling a prehistoric dream of hunting "springtime" musk ox, and got to have several conversations with the family during the long snowed in days. Great kid, great dad, great cameraman! We can all be envious of the opportunities he's had, but IMHO, kids like Lincoln bode well for the future.

26-Jul-16
First, let's get something straight hunting has and continues to be the sport of the wealthy. There's no getting out of that shadow as there are hunts that cost $25k+ that more than 1 person on this site has taken.

Nothing wrong with that.

BTW Entitlement is someone who feels they are owed something they didn't earn or haven't put necessary time towards. The fact that this kid is producing a show is the exact opposite. If you have ever produced a show you know it's far from easy regardless who is funding.

26-Jul-16
I've only seen the one show. Kid seems grounded enough, but wondering if the father is pushing him too fast. Seems like it's the father pushing the son to fulfill his dream, not the kid's dream.

26-Jul-16
Brotsky,

You nailed it (once again)!

Mark

26-Jul-16
Brotsky +1

I happened to be in a camp with this crew and I can say this kid eats, sleeps and dreams of bow hunting. I think the dad is along for the ride and how cool is it that they have the ability to chase dreams father and son. Very good folks

26-Jul-16
They seem like good people and I'm sure they are,I just can't believe he appreciates the hunts as much as someone who has saved for years for just one "big" hunt. Sorry if I stepped on some toes...The show is just not for me.

26-Jul-16
taxidermy man,

Maybe he appreciates them more? Who cares. The kid obviously is very fortunate to have parents that have the means to take him on these unreal hunts. He doesn't have to apologize for being blessed.

26-Jul-16
No way in heck he can appreciate it more than an every day guy who saves and dreams for a life time to go on that one big hunt. He doesn't have to apologize, I'm just not a fan of the show.

26-Jul-16
Perhaps entitlement was the wrong word to use. Envy? Hardly. Blessed and lucky? Duh, of course.

I know too many people that have had small fortunes dumped on things for them like education and weddings. They don't really appreciate it the way you think.

Granted, there are some that do...

26-Jul-16
I can't believe people would judge a 12 year old boy, or however old he is, for shooting animals with a bow.

What the hell is wrong with people?

26-Jul-16
Sorry Brotsky, I thought this was a forum to discuss different topics, like I said I'm sure they are good people and Lincoln is one fortunate little bugger,I just stated I'm not a fan of the show and why...What the hell is wrong with you?

26-Jul-16
Judging a boy? He has entered the public spotlight by his adventures and success. With that will come critique and opinion, good or bad. That's the real world some of us live in. That was a choice they made.

26-Jul-16

Ward's Outfitters's embedded Photo
great kid he harvested a coues , Javelina and Mule deer with us.

26-Jul-16

26-Jul-16
I watched an episode of this show a while back. Seems like a pretty well grounded kid, given the circumstances he appears to find himself in. Great footage from my view. Like I said, watched it once, and just asked myself

"how is this they came to do this?" did dad have a dream? A kid simply does NOT come up with the idea of taking all these BIG TIME hunting trips.

Anyway, hope the kid does well, and hope the kid ends up understanding how truly blessed he is to do these things at his age. Probably will turn out to be a president or sumpin'..................

26-Jul-16
From: HDE Date: 24-Jul-16 I guess I just can't relate to people (kids) who have everything handed to them. Many adults spend a lifetime to go on one hunt that he has done many of and talks as though it is normal life. I've watched earlier seasons and episodes before this year and was not impressed. It's funny enough to watch some tv personalities disect the workings of a hunt, but to see a child do it just seems odd and out of place.

I also watched a couple of the first episodes and quickly got the same opinion you have and haven't watched any since!

26-Jul-16
According to an early show, Lincoln came to his dad and said he wanted to go after the Super Slam. Dad didn't even know what it was as the time, so they began researching what it was and how to go about it.

I'm sure (some) of their funding comes from their show, sponsorship?, maybe family has $ or good jobs, whatever. Honestly, who cares? I'd rather see someone with $ spend it on hunting than on anti-hunting. He's a bowhunter and portraying hunting in a positive light.

The people who posted to have actually shared camp with the crew (Db1) or met Lincoln (Rob Register) both say said Lincoln eats sleeps and dreams bowhunting. (as opposed to dad pushing it) and that he and family are well grounded.

Perhaps Steven Ward can lend further insight, having also actually met Lincoln.

Beyond these, everyone else is pretty much just spouting a bunch of hot air making assumptions as to what Lincoln/family does or doesn't feel, think, etc.

Critique the show all you want (I happen to like it and think the cinematography is top notch), but don't go overboard putting down a kid and family whom you know absolutely nothing about.

Nearly every single Olympian's story is "I dreamed of winning a gold medal since I was a little kid", so don't assume that Lincoln didn't come up with the dream to chase the Slam all on his own.

Regarding the caribou, yep, perhaps poor decision to take the frontal shot. Although every year on Bowsite scads of guys tout the frontal for elk ad nauseam. It is what it is, we all make mistakes, and hopefully Lincoln and crew learns from them.

This hunting show is one of a select few that are on my DVR watch list.

Carl

26-Jul-16
Ok, that being said, I hope I never see anyone on Bowsite get slammed ever again for something they say and/or do when they know nothing about them.

26-Jul-16
Well said Carl

26-Jul-16
Maybe he was inspired by another super slammer who was the first to video all 29, in taking the frontal caribou shot, worked excellent for him!

27-Jul-16
For what it is worth I have shared camp w Lincoln and his father. Lincoln is a fine young man who is very polite and respectful. They are down to earth and a pleasure to be around. He is eager to learn and is not afraid to jump right in to pull his weight cleaning game or helping around camp. I would not judge him just because he is fortunate enough to have the financial resources to pursue his dreams.

27-Jul-16
Heck who wouldn't be envious? I know I am :)

27-Jul-16
The desert sheep episode made me cringe. My impression was Lincoln was out of his element and was not engaged in the mechanics of the hunt. Seems he merely was waiting for the shot.

My impression was he fell into role of the gentleman shooter relaxing to the side and did not seem to be embracing the process of using a spotter scope and spending hours picking apart the ridges. Tedious hunt often will provide a chance to learn new things but seemed like Lincoln was content to be on standby waiting for instruction to engage back into the hunt process.

Nothing wrong with being a shooter and there are lots of guided hunts out there where the animal is located and the call goes out for the shooter to move forward and take up position. Those shooters are usually not passionate about hunting but are in collector mode looking to check a box on a certain animal or size of trophy.

To each his own. Just not as entertaining for me to watch a shoot vs. a hunt.

29-Jul-16
I haven't seen all the shows. I only happened to catch one of the episodes of the goat hunt. He's just a kid though. And you know these shows are all scripted. I don't think you can draw lines or know exactly what he's thinking. It's all just speculation.

Suffices to say, he's done and experienced things I've only ever dreamed of. Glad somebody can. It'd suck if none of us could. Don't you think?

29-Jul-16
Something else was nagging me, so I went back and re-watched the caribou shot sequence.

They don't state the range, but it had to be relatively close, because even after the 'bou runs off, they call out ranges and it's still only ~50-yards. So clearly the shot was a close frontal. Not going to debate it, but this very shot is touted by many on Bowsite for larger-boned elk.

Lincoln "flings" 2 more arrows at what is an obviously hit animal. Most of us would do the same - animal hit and still standing, try to put another arrow into it even if not the best shot conditions. No real surprise that these follow-ups don't apparently hit, as surely Lincoln's excited/stressed and rushing things in the heat of the moment.

Then they clarify and play in slow motion to explain that something snagged upon release and Lincoln's arrow flew poorly (clearly seen wild sideways whip in slow motion).

Maybe his limb hit something, maybe string caught clothing, etc., etc., who knows. But the wild flight clearly affected point of impact. So Murphy struck.

Then they explain that the arrow caught artery in neck and as seen, the caribou died relatively quickly.

Finally they (IMO tastefully) wrap up the show with no closeup shots and no proud pose with the animal - as long as we're reading into what the crew things/feels, perhaps it was because they weren't as "proud" of the way things went down despite ending up with a dead caribou.

Regardless, they didn't hide the fact that it was a bad hit, which could have easily been edited out to make everything look hunky dory.

Carl

29-Jul-16
"Like I said, watched it once, and just asked myself "how is this they came to do this?" did dad have a dream? A kid simply does NOT come up with the idea of taking all these BIG TIME hunting trips."

It's probably no different then the kid who dreams of being the next star athlete or the parent who pushes him to do so, there's plenty of parents who dump money and time into supporting their child's dream no matter what it is.....I'm sure the kid who plays baseball dreams of being in the big leagues, could be the same with this young man.

31-Jul-16
I don't know a lot has been put on his shoulders. what is the worst thing that happens...........he does not shoot 17 more species with an arrow. now wouldn't that be a really bad thing for him and the family to have to come to grips with? how would they endure? not a lot of real important stuff riding on that outcome. it's great he is out doing what we all love, but pressure packed, it is not. not even close

the 14 year old working a couple jobs after school to help the family since a parent is out or work, or mom is sick, or dead, or on drugs, and the rent is due, and the cupboard running on empty is stuff that a lot of kids do have to do and that IS a lot on their shoulders.

this is just a father and son enjoying a pastime they love together. wonderful and touching, but not pressure packed and certainly not important outside of their family unit.

31-Jul-16
I may be a little naive, but making a reality TV show just might create some judgement situations.

01-Aug-16
Amen Bou

01-Aug-16
My hat is off to Lincoln's father. He is spending quality time with his children and supporting their ambitions. Today most young boys are taught to be men by tv, video games and computers. Those that do have dads at home are generally left to grow up on their own.

I have a seven year old son. I spend every second I have with him. He listens to me because he knows I listen to him. That takes time. I am able to give him much moe than my dad was able to give me. Building young men is on our shoulders and costs our time. Lincoln's father and mother are giving him the tools for the future. I am thankful they share their lives with us. They are good examples for youth and young fathers.

• Sitka Gear