Mad_Angler 20-Oct-16
DonVathome 20-Oct-16
Chris S 20-Oct-16
r-man 20-Oct-16
BULELK1 21-Oct-16
14-Jul-16

Ursus a. Horribilis's embedded Photo
I finally was able to draw a SC gator tag. I've been scouting them for the last couple years and found some nice ones in canals that I think I can hunt. With the muzzy setup I have I think I need to be with around 15 yards due to the trajectory.

I think I can get it done during the day and from shore off the dikes as the gators seem to actively feed during tidal movement.

Has anyone had any success in using a mouth call or electronic call to get them in close?

Here's a couple pics of some I've seen recently

14-Jul-16

14-Jul-16

14-Jul-16

Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Yes Foxpro call using a baby Gator chirp. Got him in at less then 3 yards!!

14-Jul-16
Look on your phone for gator call app there are a bunch.Like bigpizzaman said get the baby gator.Then I got a small bluetooth,waterproof,shockproof speaker.Set it up next to the water.But be ready cause there's a good chance he'll come in fast.I would go for shot less than 10yds from shore. Definitely try a have a boat (jonboat) ready, if he's big how you gonna pull him in. BIgpizzaman's gator is around 13' and your not gonna pull him in from shore.

Good Luck

14-Jul-16
Thanks Bigpizzaman! That's a real beast in your photo. I've got a fox pro. I'll add those gator calls and give it a try.

Dollar. Boats or vehicles really spook the gators on this particular property. When I walk in I can typically get very close to them sunning on the dike. Once I get one hooked up a boat can be used if necessary to get'em in. I'm told anything over 10 ft is a real handful. I can only imagine a 13 footer!

14-Jul-16
I don't think it's an issue of "if necessary". There is no way you are going to hand-line a gator in. I've never done this, but I would think you'll have to pursue with a boat. Don't most guys shoot them with the line tied to a float? Let the float go and then follow with boat, gradually pull up gator then shoot them with gun. If you shoot a gator with a standard bowfishing rig with the line attached to your bow you are going to lose your bow. And the gator.

14-Jul-16
Sorry I meant if you had a boat you could beach.Then with someones help get the boat launched and go get him.Those bigger gators usually run out then settle down but they're so heavy you'll need a boat to get close.They tend to sit on the bottom and or just slowly move away. You should try and video since you're hunting from land should be able to get good impact shot at least.

14-Jul-16

The area is managed for waterfowl so most of it is relatively shallow. I do plan to use a float which can be snagged with a snatch line if too far from shore. In order to reach open river a gator would have to cross the dike which it isn't likely to do with an arrow in it and me standing on it.

The manager is a licensed alligator trapper who's caught them for years with snatch hooks from shore. Here's a pic of an 8 footer my son helped him with awhile back.

14-Jul-16
Have a great hunt and please post pics! C

14-Jul-16
Looking forward to hearing the story!

14-Jul-16
When will you be hunting the gators?

14-Jul-16
Medicinemsnn, the season starts September 10 and lasts a month. Last year the later part of the season was affected by the torrential rains and flooding we had so I'm planning to go as early as possible.

14-Jul-16
Good luck !

14-Jul-16
Should be a fun hunt. I went on one on a Florida permit I drew 3 years ago for 2 gators on public land. Getting the arrow (bow) or bolt (crossbow) to stick in the hide can be a challenge though once that is achieved then the embedded prong head has a line that has a float at the end. Then is a tug of war to get gator close enough to bang stick in a relatively small target zone at rear of the skull. I used a bolt and spined one of my two so no tug of war needed on that one. The other one was several minutes of tugging and splashing and intense focus on the matter of hand as was night time on an airboat no where near the edge or the lake. Still needed the bang stick.

If shooting with a muzzleloader then is that after have gotten a float hooked in the gator? If are shooting and a float line is not being attached then the gator could dive or sink on you. Could usually follow bubbles from the gator or the stirred up mud as the gator moves then snag with a hook but that strategy would not be a sure thing.

Post some pics when you finish up the hunt.

14-Jul-16
Good luck. Look forward to updates. Very cool.

20-Oct-16

Ended up getting a nice 10 footer just before hurricane Mathew. Spot & stalk from shore during daylight. Didn't go exactly as planned as we had to use fishing to get an additional line on. The gators were very wary and difficult to get close to. Once the gator got on a shallow mud bar he dug his feet in an anchored himself. My daughter enjoyed the adventure and has a cool hunting story to tell.

20-Oct-16

20-Oct-16

20-Oct-16

20-Oct-16
cool! congrats!

20-Oct-16
sweet!

20-Oct-16
Where the story?

I want a full blow-by-blow

20-Oct-16
Nice gator!

20-Oct-16
Very cool would love to hear them details of the story.

20-Oct-16
Nice going , ran into few hunting gators last week , in the cool mornings they are in holes . this evening saw one in a bog 250yrds from lake , they know you are after them.

21-Oct-16
Damn nice!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear