Bowfreak 18-Jul-16
rooster 20-Jul-16
bad karma 20-Jul-16
bad karma 20-Jul-16
Zebrakiller 20-Jul-16
Zebrakiller 20-Jul-16
wildwilderness 21-Jul-16
16-Jul-16
Does anyone know how much kinetic energy one's arrow should have in order to get a pass through shot on pronghorn? Also, can any of you accomplished pronghorn hunters tell me where the best shot placement on a pronghorn is. i.e how many inches behind the shoulder and how far down from the top of the white hair line. The kill zone on my Cabela's pronghorn 3D target doesn't seem to be anatomically accurate.

16-Jul-16
Pronghorns aren't any bigger than deer, in fact, smaller. It won't take a lot to get a pass through.

As far as targets go, they usually aren't to anatomically correct, but a shot tight behind the shoulder and mid way up between brisket and back would give a pronghorn a bad day.

16-Jul-16
"KE dosnt mean much, its the Momentum that kills a critter and puts the arrow thru thru critter"

Can you produce even one formula in physics that uses momentum to solve for distance? There are, however, some that uses KE. Energy is what you put into the bow and the dissipation of that energy is what stops the arrow.

As for the KE require for antelope, its a small framed animal that is usually shot at longer range than than most deer. KE will not be as big of a factor as range and wind effect estimation and long range accuracy.

16-Jul-16
I don't know how much KE, but the last two I have killed were shot with an E35 at 58 lb. and a 415 grain (+/-) arrow. Wasp Hammer broadheads, Axis arrows and 28.5 draw weight. One was 24/25 yd., the other I could see his eyelashes. Both were passthroughs and both died within sight ( less than 80 yd. ) It's been awhile since I've shot a bow than slung a 400 gr. arrow over the 270 fps mark, and I have failed a passthrough on one goat, and he was spined. He died with his head in the water, but that shot is not my best work !

Tight behind the shoulder or straight up the leg, you are good to go.

16-Jul-16
Just aim up from the elbow, and into the corner of the white patch as already mentioned. As far as KE, don't over think it, just go hunt and enjoy.

Just for example...60lb bow, 375gr arrow...pass thru at 75yds on a antelope. That was 14yrs ago so who knows what the arrow speed was.

Good luck on your hunt!

16-Jul-16
Less than your set-up has - and probably by far.

Purdue would be happy to calculate it for you to the 3rd decimal point if you have the time and interest.

17-Jul-16
"Purdue would be happy to calculate it for you to the 3rd decimal point if you have the time and interest."

HA!!!!!!!

17-Jul-16
The smallest big game animal on the continent. Not much tougher than a morel bag target.

17-Jul-16
I will say this: Bou's observation is correct 99.9% of the time. Most goats fold like a cheap lawn chair, but my buddy shot one last year with a NAP Spitfire and shredded his lungs. That goat ran 300+ yards before expiring. If we had been in our normal East Texas woods on a whitetail, that would have been a long track. As it was, wide open, no problem.

17-Jul-16
Tight to the shoulder and a few inches below the 'corner', the corner of white and tan is a bit high for my liking.

18-Jul-16
The last 2 my wife shot were complete pass throughs shooting 40# Mission Craze with 26" 35/55 carbons. Not big at all, hits were identical, corner of where brown and white meet. About 12 yards and broadside.

18-Jul-16
As has been said already, thet are much smaller than whitetails. While they have extremely strong bones for their size, I was told by BB to just shoot at them as if they dont have bones and you will not ha e issues.

20-Jul-16

rooster's embedded Photo
rooster's embedded Photo
My wife killed her antelope last year with an older Hoyt Rintec at 40ish pounds and a 25" draw length and blade Muzzy's on the business end. Not a pass through but he died in 15 seconds or so.

20-Jul-16
Pronghorns have a high volume circulatory system. Hit the lungs and they'll bleed out very quickly. KE isn't important. I'd hunt pronghorns with a 40 lb recurve and not worry one bit.

So, whatever you have, it's plenty.

20-Jul-16
Pronghorns have a high volume circulatory system. Hit the lungs and they'll bleed out very quickly. KE isn't important. I'd hunt pronghorns with a 40 lb recurve and not worry one bit.

So, whatever you have, it's plenty.

20-Jul-16

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
My wife has killed a bunch with 40lbs 35/55 gold tips 100gr heads

20-Jul-16

21-Jul-16
Any bow that is legal where you are hunting would be sufficient.

I shot one through both shoulder blades once. It still ran off over 100 yard though. They can cover ground fast but doesn't take much to kill them.

• Sitka Gear