ohiohunter 24-Jul-16
ScottTigert 24-Jul-16
ohiohunter 24-Jul-16
ScottTigert 24-Jul-16
APauls 25-Jul-16
Conus_Reaper 27-Jul-16
Tcrum 28-Jul-16
18-Jul-16
I'm in the market to upgrade the camo gear after years of the same stuff. I'm curious as to what you guys recommend? Right now I hunt in some old camo bibs and a jacket from Walmart I got years ago. I'd like to have a warmer outfit so I don't have to layer up as much. Also would like to cut down on the noise factor I have going with the material I have too. I was looking at some of the UA Storm gear and some Sitka gear. Curious as to what you guys recommend? Money isn't much too much of a restraint. I hunt in Oklahoma and Illinois so the weather isn't terribly cold but being in the 20s isn't uncommon for late season. Any opinions or advice is appreciated.

18-Jul-16
As far as brands go, First Lite and Sitka are good options.

18-Jul-16
Sitka and First Lite are both very high quality

18-Jul-16
If you are generally hunting whitetails then Sitka is the way to go. Their whitetail line-up is second to none.

18-Jul-16
I hunt whitetails up through thanksgiving then switch to waterfowl. I have some amazing waterfowl gear though so I'm trying to get my whitetail gear up to par this year. Is the Sitka Celsius jacket a pretty good option for when those late fall hunts get a little colder?

18-Jul-16
I would lean more towards the Stratus jacket than the Celsius. You want the windstopper layer, you can always layer underneath as appropriate.

18-Jul-16
If money isn't much of a concern, they say the Sitka Fanatic hoodie is top notch. Pair it with a weatherproof shell and I think you would be well suited for the conditions.

I have the regular Fanatic. If I hadn't received it as a gift, I would not be the owner because for the few times a year I will probably use it, it probably isn't worth the cost to me. It is more geared for the weather during and beyond which you have switched over to ducks.

18-Jul-16
Ohiohunter, I'm hoping to get some gear that isn't bulky but is sufficiently warm without having on 4 or 5 layers and that isn't noisy with every move I make in the stand. I have with my camo I have taken countless deer wearing the camo I own now but my wanting of new camo is more due to the comfortability of a smaller sized outer layer and personal preference I recon.

18-Jul-16
I prefer to buy a leafy suit and put black/brown/green/ other muted colors underneath.

It's cheaper. The ASAT leafy suit has been a big winner for me over the years. Love mine When it self destructs, it's getting replaced by one just like it.

18-Jul-16
First Lite is very high quality stuff. I like ASAT, but the pattern is not as important as the quality of the materials and fit in my opinion.

18-Jul-16

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
For Whitetail hunting it's "all Sitka, all the time"! The layering system, fit and function is spot on! C

18-Jul-16
I like MossyOak apparel . com , Lots of choices for weather ,and choices and patterns . And priced right.

19-Jul-16
in todays world you get what you pay for. if you have the money for the top notch camo and it fits what you are looking for then id say go for it. If something cheaper fits the bill then even better. I have UA Storm gear and it has kept me warm and satisfied

19-Jul-16
Whether you buy cheap or expensive, you are still going to be layering as the temps change. I wear Cabelas Legacy Fleece when it's above 40 degrees. I then switch to Berber Fleece when it gets cold. But with both sets I am layering with a quality baselayer, then a vest, then the jackets. Has been working well for me even down into the teens in temperature. I'm sure the Berber is heavier than the Sitka stuff though. But I could buy three good Cabelas outfits for the price of one Sitka.

19-Jul-16
I've got some Sitka, but my temps are WAY colder than what you are talking about. While I recommend their gear, the "performance" gear really starts to shine when you reach the extremes. Be it movement, wind/rain, or cold. If you're not moving much (stand hunting) and not in serious cold then you can get by with almost anything.

The most important piece for you will be your base layer. I have two different base layer combos, and going to my "polar" one makes the single biggest difference in temperature I can handle. I would recommend going with a base layer for warmer weather, and a base layer for colder weather, and then a quiet, waterproof windproof shell like the Sitka Stratus or equivalent in another brand. Do that and you're golden, and you'll be fine from warm weather up until you stop hunting.

19-Jul-16
Unless it is a backpack sheep hunt or something remote where space and weight are a big issue, I generally prefer the Kings Camo Desert Shadow stuff- check them out they have some great deals.

As far as rain gear, I like the Cabela's brand packable stuff as a throw on layer to keep in my pack.

Oddly as it is, a lot of professional guides wear old cotton, cheap crap stuff- It's just like your bow or any other stuff- you don't need top end expensive stuff to kill.

19-Jul-16
I understand that. I guess my main issue is with the gear I have now it's real poofy and the material is noisy. Id like to get something more sleek and quiet

19-Jul-16
I understand that. I guess my main issue is with the gear I have now it's real poofy and the material is noisy. Id like to get something more sleek and quiet

19-Jul-16
ASAT 3d over good earth tone wool base layer. Grey base layer wooks well hunting whitetails out east.

19-Jul-16
Another option is Core 4. I know some say it's inferior, but it's not bad stuff.

19-Jul-16
PM

19-Jul-16
For the cold windy days here in Oklahoma I like the Cabelas Wooltimate with the wind shear lining in the outfitter camo.

19-Jul-16
I use Sitka exclusively. It's fit, function, and durability are second to none. PM or email if you have any questions.

Les [email protected]

19-Jul-16
I have no experience with Sitka gear but as some others have stated they are proud of their product, as they should be, however I think some other top brands that cost less could fit what you are looking for. I will vouch for UA gear, it has kept me warm on some cold and windy sits in the stand. It is also half the price of Sitka, I wouldn't rule it out.

19-Jul-16
I have used Cabela's Whitetail bibs and parka for deer hunting for many years. Great clothes. Very warm but bulky and heavy. This year went with the Sitka Fanatic bibs and jacket. Just as warm and half the bulk. Fit is far better. Worth the money?????. That's your call.

19-Jul-16
If you are near a Cabelas check out their new Instinct line of outerwear. It is designed to compete with the Sitka-Kuiu products at way lower price. I haven't field tested all of it but what I did test for them last season and since has impressed with the quality and functionality.

If money is no object then no question Sitka is probably the best. Agree that it's up to you to decide if it is worth the price. Before I started field testing for Cabelas, all my hunting clothes were Cabelas bargain cave or sidewalk sale stuff. Somehow I never got cold and killed a ton of animals...

20-Jul-16
Ditto HDE, and core4 is a deal on camofire.

20-Jul-16
Hands down the best quality and value in the industry is the Kuiu. If you want to get the most for your money get your self a set of their Teton gear and move up from there. You won't be disappointed.

20-Jul-16
I like First Lite ASAT

22-Jul-16
Sitka for me this year. Been using UA for several years but wasn't impressed. Finally pulled trigger on Sitka.

Only reason why I liked UA. That's what I used when playing semi pro football and it function really good but unfortunately not for hunting.

22-Jul-16
KUIU is at the top of the chain and a new player is coming to town, apparently = "Pnuma" Outdoors. Could be interesting...

22-Jul-16
I concur with much of the advice given.

"get a heater body suit" +1 there! If your a stand hunter for sure! I really enjoyed hunting late season after I got one of these. Get a size larger than you think you need.

Personally I like the First Lite gear in ASAT but moving forward and recently I have been switching to solid colors to save money and increase utility.

23-Jul-16
+2 on heater body suit. Thought it would b bulky but unreal how comfortable it is and allows much lighter layers under neath. I love the KUIU merino wool for mountain hunts and combined with my Mossy Oak heater body suit for tree stand hunts in Kansas. . Not fond of the KUIU patterns for Midwest hunting but all their products, service first class. Don't like their pants as they fit like what I assume skinny jeans are like. Sitka is great quality and their pants don't make me talk two octaves higher. Merino wool doesn't stink like the synthetics

23-Jul-16
Have a look at Tusx Camo, its a great pattern and very effective. This year I called in two spike bucks at once and they came with feet of my hunting partner before smelling me at about 1 yard and crashing into my mate as they took off.

John

http://tusxhunter.com/

23-Jul-16
The UA under garments are great. I'm in Wisconsin and wear Predator's lined fleece in fall grey when the temps drop. Quiet, comfy, and warm. The "open pattern technology" is great...for me it's that or ASAT.

23-Jul-16
When choosing hunting clothing the first thing I check for is how quite it is, then price ( I am frugal ). I tend to go to clearance racks first and have found some great deals. I own one scentlok suit ( that I got on clearance ) because I liked how it fit and was quiet it is, not for scent control. Other then that it's mainly all wool outfits with a few plaid shirts for early season. But I am considering a Heater Body Suit for the late season, which is my favorite time to hunt.

23-Jul-16
SITKA!!!!!!!! Their slogan is no joke !!! They truly make gear not clothing and if you do some research their systems are 100% unbeatable. Well worth the price tag !!! I have the entire stratus, fanatic, and incinerator sets and they all serve a purpose

23-Jul-16
Do they make it for big guys ?. I have seen it at Jays Sporting Goods. It looked very nice. Until I saw the price tag. But that's just me.

23-Jul-16
Kuiu>sitka.....

23-Jul-16
Good wool. Warm, quiet and it still works when wet. And because of it's "fuzziness", it will also absorb rather than reflect light.

That's pretty much as good an all around camo garment as any.

24-Jul-16
Buy yourself some ASAT camp, best camp out there for multiple terrains. A leafy suit which is great for warm epweather is 140 bucks and once the cold weather comes you put anything warm on and then the leafy suit over it. First lite comes in ASAT and is great stuff.

24-Jul-16
So now that we all agree on camo, what say we settle the broadhead, arrow weight, KE, FOC, pack weight and tent quandaries on this same thread?!

:-Q

24-Jul-16
A sharp one, heavy, a lot, adequate, light enough to shoulder, holiday inn tents are the best.

24-Jul-16
Mechanical or FIXED????????

24-Jul-16
Everyone knows that answer scott.... mechanicallyfixed

24-Jul-16
My bad

25-Jul-16
I agree Kuiu>Sitka for everything but cold whitetail sits. That's not what Kuiu was made for.

27-Jul-16
I wear the Multicam I was given for Afghanistan. Seems to work pretty well. My grandfather bow/rifle hunted elk his entire life in a red flannel shirt. I don't really believe the elk are that picky. Especially given the price of the new camo gear,$250 for a jacket? Crazy.

Also, I bought some pretty good shark skin gear made in China from Amazon also in Multicam. Seems to be really nice gear considering I paid less than $70 for waterproof insulated jacket and pants.

28-Jul-16
I'm a bit odd, like to mix kuiu with scentlok. When I need warm, quiet, water repellent shy of a downpour the kuiu teton insulated jacket is very quiet, stretches,very water resistant. If I need a bit more warmth or wind block I use the scentlok windproof fleece over the kuiu. These are my favorite brands because they both understand string clearance and give a bit more sleeve length. As much as I like first lite their fit is inconsistent and outerwear is noisy.

• Sitka Gear