HUNTALITTLE 21-Jul-16
Ckapp22 21-Jul-16
Hoggydog 23-Jul-16
Jaquomo 23-Jul-16
fubar racin 24-Jul-16
Conus_Reaper 27-Jul-16
Tcrum 28-Jul-16
18-Jul-16
Looking for a lil advice...I'm finally going after elk this season with my bow. I thought I'd try unit 16. My son will be accompanying me on this hunt and would like to do some scouting in the next few weeks. Can anyone point me in a good direction? I understand keeping good hunting spots under wraps so to speak. So anyone good advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

19-Jul-16
Do a search on here. Lots of comments by me and others. They are generally accurate.

19-Jul-16
I hunted that unit last year and was successful with a 5 by 6 bull. I won't tell you where I was exactly but I will say I was within 3 miles of rabbit ears peak. I found an absolute honey hole that was loaded with elk. If I wouldn't have shot the one I did I would of had an opportunity at a much bigger one. The elk are there so don't give up!

19-Jul-16
Thank you hunt all and kentuckbowhnter, I'm new to this site so any advice is greatly appreciated. Even if you PM to keep things private is also an option. This is both My Son and I first archery Elk hunt. I've been wanting to do this for years. We normally hunt the flat tops unit 24 and have done very well. But didn't draw for it this year. Is there a campground recommended out near there, I'll be headed that way this week end. I'll be by myself, which my wife isn't thrilled with the idea, being I had a heart attack 2 years ago, but I feel fine and need the exercise before season starts. Thanks again guys!! I'm very grateful

19-Jul-16
Pm sent sir.

19-Jul-16
Ok...I'm new at this site, if I get a pm where do I get it? Isn't it in a text message to my phone?

19-Jul-16
I can tell you where there aren't elk in that unit.. I've hunted it a few times and apparently not in the right areas.

19-Jul-16
HoggyDog, For PMs click on the Forum tab at the top of this page and go to the Colorado State page. On the right side you will see "Welcome back Hoggydog" Below that it will tell you if you have new PMs. Click to open the PMs.

19-Jul-16
Thanks aspen ghost, sounds like we have more hunters in 16 than elk, any suggestions on where I should start?

19-Jul-16
Thanks aspen ghost, sounds like we have more hunters in 16 than elk, any suggestions on where I should start?

20-Jul-16
You can also get to them on the right side of the main forum page.

21-Jul-16
I would expect to see a bit more pressure in 16 with the fire that's happening in 161 and the large closure area....those hunters are going to be somewhere else....

21-Jul-16
I would have to agree with huntalittle. With the majority of 161 closed, all those guys are going to migrate to 16,17,171 likely. If you are dead set on hunting the area, you might consider looking a little further away like 14,15,214,27 etc. I have no experience in those units but they just seem to have better elk populations from what I see.

Ill be honest and say I tried 16 a few years back and there was definitely more hunters than elk. On top of that, one weekend they ran a marathon from Steamboat to the top of Rabbit Ears and there were literally hundreds of people running to the peak. I actually ended up hauling one runner off the peak in my jeep that had collapsed from exhaustion. Saw two elk in three days because of all the traffic.

Be mobile and have 3-4 units or areas you can bounce back and forth to and you should do fine.

23-Jul-16
Thanks everybody for your help.I am out scouting this week end. If you see a guy in a dark blue crew cab Chevy Duramax 2500 HD with a Canam in the back.

23-Jul-16
Hoggydog, do us a favor and post a story on your hunt this season, what you learned, what you would do differently next time. Doing a first-time DIY bowhunt for elk is an adventure, and you'll be able to help others contemplating the same challenge next year.

The units you're looking at have a lot of elk and a lot of great looking country with no elk. Ckapp's advice us solid.

24-Jul-16
Just got back from scouting in 16, 6, and 171 found good areas in all units. Checked in on my honey hole in 171 pretty heartbroken as its completely gone not a tree left standing and a giant pile of logs where my groups last 3 elk gave their last breaths. I'll be in 16 in 47 days and moving around as needed.

27-Jul-16
I scouted 15 last weekend. Tough area to hunt because of the NF access being blocked by new multi million dollar neighborhoods. You can start mid by Stagecoach and go in through the wildlife area. But I didn't have it in me to do 9 miles through the mountains with full camp gear, so I have no idea what's in there. Further south on the edge of Routt by Gore pass we saw a lot of old sign, rubs, and tracks from the last rain storm. However, that area has a million roads, atv access, and 161 is closed. So I'd assume it's going to be jam packed with hunters this year. As such, we've bailed on the entirety of 15,16,161 and are heading somewhere yet undermined.

28-Jul-16
For the last post, Unit 15 has better access from unit 27. For the OP 16 has a lot of good but but a recent fire north of there may play a factor, suggest keeping up with the "beaver creek fire" it's about 15 miles north of walden.

• Sitka Gear