Bou'bound 19-May-17
wackmaster2 20-May-17
Halibutman 21-May-17
Mark Watkins 21-May-17
Bono 21-May-17
Kurt 21-May-17
Bono 22-May-17
19-Jul-16
Maybe my google search skills aren't up to par but I was unable to find recent information on coastal brown bear outfitters. Any recommendations for guides? I'm looking to book for 2018. Doesn't have to be a trophy area just a good overall experience and a decent success rate.

19-Jul-16
Mav, are you a sponsor?

Perhaps using your name in your registration would help you solicit hunters for free as well.

I'd look for a peninsula or Kodiak hunt, not a mainland hunt.

19-Jul-16
He specifically stated he is in the market for an "experience", and not necessarily a giant trophy bear. That pretty much rules out the "true peninsula" hunts and most of Kodiak. Those guys are killing absolute giants. The prices are giant too.

Check out Jonah Stewart's outfit for a fair price and really good success or something on the north end of the peninsula. BSC has a hunt on offer for $14,000 on the northern part of the peninsula. That might be the best value in brown bear around.

There are some super bargains that are popping up these days in the high end hunt market. If I were in your boots, I might save my pennies and not book a hunt, prepared to pounce on a cancellation. There sure seem to be a bunch available!

Good luck! I hope you find just what you're looking for!

19-Jul-16
I guess everyone's interpretation of experience is different and that is just fine. Yes, prices are outrageous, no questioning that. But If I wanted to experience hunting coastal brown bears, I'd go to the coast, not the mainland. I also know that Jonah runs one hell of an operation and they killed some super bears this spring. I think his early hunts in the snow would be an awesome experience! Good luck with whatever you end up doing, they sure are fun.

19-Jul-16
Thanks for the replies! I dont need to kill a 10ft footer to have a good hunt. Honestly anything over 8ft would be great!

19-Jul-16
I put myself in the draw area of Kodiak Island. If I am lucky, I will be hunting with Luke Randall. I had heard a lot of good reference about his operation and this area in Kodiak

19-Jul-16
You might look at Bert Stormquist -baranof expeditions. Mark at BSC books hunts for him and last fall every hunter got their bear. Fun trip and great people. Highly recommend

19-Jul-16
My mistake Mav, I see you are now a sponsor, good work!

19-Jul-16
PM sent.

19-Jul-16
It's easy to suggest areas fast and loose when you're not writing the check! It's even easier to do when you are not legally required to hire a guide!

Brown Bears are expensive and they're probably going to go up. If money is no object, hire Henry Tiffany (Alaska Perimeter Expeditions). If you're seeking value, reach out to Jonah (Jonahs Alaskan adventures?) or contact BSC (bow hunting safari consultants)

There was a time when an ABC island bear was cheaper and smaller, now they're just smaller! In some cases the hunt is MORE expensive due to the size of boat and accommodations provided.

There is a big difference between a bargain and a value. I enjoy seeking value in all things, this hunt being one of the more recent missions I've undertaken.

When I read "coastal brown bear", I interpreted it to mean brown bear, not grizzly.

I hope you kill a giant bear!

20-Jul-16
Murphy, I know exactly what you are saying but I also think that if someone wants to hunt a "coastal brown bear" they don't want to hunt a brown bear at the northern end of their range (defined by a record keeping org) which is basically a grizzly bear.

The reccomendation of Jonah was perfect, those are brown bears... Talkeetna and northern Chugach, call them brown bears all you'd like but they are basically a grizzly and no where near the coast(al).

I'll refrain from offering advice anymore on anything Alaskan since I'm not writing the check or needing a guide.

Best of luck Brad, call Jonah, you'll have a great time.

20-Jul-16
This guy was obviously looking for a guide service recommendation. I offered that, and some commentary about the useless frivolity of regional recommendations for this particular hunter.

Maverick, what is the name of your outfit? Just post it up man. I know I'm not the only one that's curious.

As far as Alaska goes, I reckon you're getting your feet wet enough Mr. Muche, but you're sure not an expert yet. I enjoy your stories for sure. I know my time in Alaska was exceptional in every way. I miss it every single day. I've got time now to peruse forums and post what I think is helpful advice sometimes, since I've probably done it. I'm not interested in "measuring" with you or anyone else for that matter.

I am pretty uniquely equipped to help people save some money though, since I'm almost to 29 on a tight budget. I suppose I'll continue to pitch in my two pennies, and you can continue to do your thing too. Good luck everyone.

20-Jul-16
Once again think you everyone for your help. I definitely want to hunt coastal Browns and not grizzly.

22-Jul-16
Jay Osting at BSC has a discounted coastal brown bear cancellation hunt that Db1 mentioned above. However it is for Sept 2016. I tried to put it together but could not. Fine set up on boat based hunt, both hunters cancelled so right now you would get whole boat (60 or 70 footer) . I was going to take my wife, still remote chance it could happen. I think it was 15k with 3k kill fee, awful expensive but life is short! Good luck

22-Jul-16
I have met Jonah a couple times at the Alaskan Bowhunters Banquets and he does a great job and works hard. I met one of guides and several of the hunters that went with this outfit out of Dillingham. We were regrouping after our float trip and they were "between" hunters. Some leaving town, some coming in and we happened to be at the same B&B. They were very successful on pretty big bears. http://www.huntbearmoosecaribou.com/johns2/Introduction/go

20-Feb-17
I just receive an information that I got my draw for Kodiak Island Brown Bear hunt I will be hunting in a couple of months with Luke Randall. i hope I can share with you some nice pictures in May!!! Now need to start to shoot my bow to be ready for this adventure!!!

20-Feb-17
Congrats Toby! Be sure to post the story and pictures. Good luck.

20-Feb-17
Toby,

Contact Roy Keefer ("Keef" on Bowsite). He has a video of his brown bear bowhunt with Luke Randall. You'll watch it a thousand times......I know....I did. I just sent Keef a message asking him if he has posted the hunt on Youtube or Bowsite....it is a must see.....

20-Feb-17
I hunted with Pete Barela along the coast near Cordova and shot one in 2012. Barela’s Alaskan Outfitters [email protected] (907) 775-3833

20-Feb-17
Toby, I can't find the video on YouTube but if you PM me your address I'll get you a copy of it. It was pretty exciting and included a false charge that stopped at 15 feet. Thanks Jake for the kind words, glad you liked it.

20-Feb-17

Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo
Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo

I drew another coastal brown bear hunt this year. Third fall in a row I get to try for a big bear. Hoping this one is THE one. Best of luck to all of those who are headed out.

Toby, my best bud guided for the Randal's a few springs back. They typically get really big bears! Here's two they got in a day.

20-Feb-17
Pete Barrela

20-Feb-17
Nick, I didn't know Kelly Harris guided for Brown bears!

21-Feb-17
Keef,

You have GOT to post that video on here. That was one of the fastest brown bear kills that I have ever seen with archery gear.....wasn't he feeding on a whale or something?

21-Feb-17
Jeez, they had to move one of those for the pic...

21-Feb-17
I hate to ask.... Pretty sure yours is Nick, as was that video of Keef, I remember that. wow. But these hunts being posted like that double are bowhunts?

Not an elitist or anything , but on big bears IMO it makes a difference......a different game so to speak.....

21-Feb-17
Thanks guys Hope I can get a nice one, just like the ones in the picture from Nick

21-Feb-17
That's a hell of a picture, Nick!

21-Feb-17
Thanks guys Hope I can get a nice one, just like the ones in the picture from Nick

21-Feb-17
Sorry for the double note. I am thinking in utilize 125 thunderheads What do you think?

21-Feb-17
Medicinemann, I'll have to learn how to post it on Bowsite. I haven't done that before. If I can I'll get it up on the site. Yes he died quick, 11 seconds if my memory is correct. He was feeding on a whale carcass that had washed up on shore. He went 15 yards after I shot him.

21-Feb-17
Toby I used 100 grain Thunderhead broadheads and 62 lb bow, so you should be fine with the 125.

22-Feb-17
I plan to take my Hoyt 70 lbs alphamax

22-Feb-17
Killed both of mine with 125 Slick Tricks (out of the box blades).....Browns are thin skinned so shoot what flies best for other species....Broadside went 20 yards and flipped and was dead in 10 seconds other was a frontal (don't try this at home..too close for comfort) that went from sternum to hind quarter and a 70 yard dead dash.Have Fun

22-Feb-17
Halibutman, I believe Nick is much more qualified then you to answer any question concerning Alaska put forth to him!! He has probably killed more game then most men will in a lifetime! Scooby

19-May-17

Bono's embedded Photo
Bono's embedded Photo
I got my brown bear with Luke Randall. Very nice operation, great food, asome accommodations

19-May-17

Bono's embedded Photo
Bono's embedded Photo

19-May-17
Nice bear congrats!

19-May-17
Story on that monster please

20-May-17
nice size. shame about the hide. looks badly rubbed.

21-May-17
Great looking bear! Rubbed or not, congratulations are in order!

@scooby doo: I just now saw your comment. I'm about the same age as Nick, and I also lived in Alaska and hunted there quite a bit. Further, you have no idea what you're talking about or who you're talking about when you made your statement.

I enjoy chastising Nick, since I've been there and done that in Alaska and I'm jealous that he's doing it now. There is rarely a day that goes by that I don't think about Alaska.

I'm not sure the basis of your statement "he has probably killed more game than most men will in a lifetime". Nick is a fine sportsman, and deserves whatever accolades you'd bestow upon him. I think it's unreasonable to reduce prowess to a quantitative game, but you've taken it there. I guess that's what's happening with hunting. That's too bad.

21-May-17
A huge congrats Bono!!

Well done!!

Mark

21-May-17
Thanks Mark

21-May-17
Big headed bear! Congrats! What a thrill to hunt and arrow a brown!

22-May-17

Bono's embedded Photo
Bono's embedded Photo
great experience. really an easy shoot at 26 meters the place in Afognak is super

• Sitka Gear