Keef 24-Jul-16
Keef 25-Jul-16
lewis 25-Jul-16
Purdue 25-Jul-16
shortstop 25-Jul-16
Ollie 25-Jul-16
dm/wolfskin 25-Jul-16
21-Jul-16
Has anyone had any success at killing this in your food plots ? I have a plot that it's just starting to show up, sprayed the plot with glypho (showdown was the brand) and seemed to have no effect on this stubborn weed. Any suggestions ?? Thanks scrub

21-Jul-16
Also had a friend try a fire burn on some of his earlier and that didn't work for him, tough stuff to get rid of I guess..

21-Jul-16
24d

21-Jul-16
Don't let it go to seed head if you don't kill it.

21-Jul-16
You need pigs. Come down and trap some on my place, for free. :)

22-Jul-16
What is planted in the food plot? For soybeans, Flexstar or Phoenix will work. Flex star has a 10 month residual, so if you are going back with a brassica or other broadleaf plant, keep that in mind.

For corn, there is another herbicide that works pretty well. I can't think of the name of it right now, but I will contact my farmer buddy (Mr. Greenjeans) & get the name of it. 2-4d works in corn as well, but it sometimes can cause the stalks to become brittle & more susceptible to wind damage & can cause the stalks to gooseneck as well.

Pigweed (waterhemp) is a real bitch here in Iowa. It's by far, my biggest weed issue in my food plots.

22-Jul-16
There are beans in the plot right now...

22-Jul-16
i have the same prob. with the pigweed this year also. thanks

22-Jul-16
So your saying if i spray the flexstar or phoenix it will kill the beans also ?? and not getting the 10 month residual thing,,, this herbicide thing all new to me.. thanks for helping us..

22-Jul-16
yes

22-Jul-16
lol..your helping both my dad and i here..

22-Jul-16
No it won't kill them if they are R Ready beans. It will kill the broadleaf weeds in your beans, not grasses. You need to mix glyphosate with it to kill the grasses. They can be mixed together.

The residual is also called carryover. It simply means that the agent in the chemical can still be present in the soil for up to 10 months, so that can possibly impact other broadleaf plants that you could possibly plant for a food plot the next year.

The herbicide that I used in my corn to kill pigweeds & other broadleaf is called Laudis.

Hopes this helps a little! I have to ask my farmer buddy too. He's my go-to info guy.

22-Jul-16
I have no trouble killing pigweed when it's small with gly. Let it mature and it will take a flamethrower.

22-Jul-16
Glyphosate won't kill it here even when small here in Iowa anymore.

24-Jul-16
Same here in Southeastern Illinois for Pigweed. Glyphosate won't touch it at any stage of growth. I'm trying pre emerge Dual next year.

24-Jul-16
Spray it with grazon. 24d will burn it down but won't control it.

24-Jul-16
2-4 and glypho but it certainly has developed some resistance. It is about like declaring war to get rid of it. Some plots took 3 years to exterminate it.

24-Jul-16
I've been discing the pigweed under for a couple of months getting ready to plant alfalfa in August. If I spray any remaining weeds with gly and 2-4D is there any carryover to it? I know there are seeds still in the soil but I was hoping the alfalfa and oats might crowd it this fall and next spring I'll move it regularly before the pigweed can come to seed. I know this will be a battle for a couple of years, what do you think?

25-Jul-16
Meant to say next spring I'll MOW it regularly not move it.

25-Jul-16
Balsa gram kills it dead in my clovers not sure rr soybeans will work Lewis

25-Jul-16
Different weeds go by the name "pigweed", especially in different parts of the country. So you may not all be talking about the same thing.

25-Jul-16
I doubt it's pigweed, but rather waterhemp. Not that it makes a difference, it's still undead, right? Waterhemp has developed resistence to roundup (glyco..)and looks almost identical to pigweed. The boys are right, 2,4,-D should smack it good!

25-Jul-16
Paraquat is a restricted use pesticide meaning that it is unlawfull for anyone other than a licensed applicator to possess and use. Small exposures can be very dangerous. Don't even think of using it unless you are licensed and properly trained to use it.

25-Jul-16
Pigweeds Common broadleaves encompass a variety of weeds. One of the biggest offenders comes from the pigweed family, which includes Palmer amaranth and waterhemp, as well as spiny, smooth and redroot pigweed and several other species. Most pigweed plants are tall, with simple, alternate leaves that are oval to diamond-shaped. The plant structure is erect to bushy, with dense, profuse clusters of small, greenish flowers. Pigweeds thrive in hot, drought-like conditions, partially by using rapid stem elongation to avoid the shade. They also respond vigorously to high levels of readily available nutrients in the soil, such as from fast-release sources.

"The most common pigweed species – Palmer amaranth, waterhemp and redroot pigweed – compete aggressively with warm-season crops. They reproduce by abundant seed production. Pigweeds are easy to recognize, but because two or more pigweed species often occupy the same field, and significant variation can occur between them, correct identification of each species is often difficult. Furthermore, it’s impossible to tell at a glance if a pigweed is resistant or non-resistant to one or more herbicide modes-of-action. The only way to tell if a weed is truly resistant to an herbicide, and not just tolerant, is by laboratory testing."

• Sitka Gear