JordanMOFLCO 26-Jul-16
Elkaddict 26-Jul-16
Jaquomo 26-Jul-16
ElkNut1 26-Jul-16
SteveB 26-Jul-16
JordanMOFLCO 26-Jul-16
Tucker 28-Jul-16
22-Jul-16
I'm looking for a rain suit for my upcoming elk hunt but don't have a lot of money to spend. Anyone know where to get a good deal on some lighter weight gear let me know. Thanks

22-Jul-16

IdyllwildArcher's Link
About $100 for the slip and the slip system.

22-Jul-16
Check out my more recent thread "Rain Gear Recommendations". Lots of good info on that thread that might help you.

22-Jul-16
Google core4 torrent rain gear. Everybody has it on clearance and the reviews are great. I picked up the set earlier this year and so far love it.

22-Jul-16

Scrappy's Link
Cor4 at Cabelas pants are 70% off

22-Jul-16

Scrappy's Link
Jacket is 60% off at Cabelas right now

22-Jul-16
Do you want a "rain suit" for hunting in steady rain day after day, or one that will always be with you for protection from a sudden and unexpected storm when you're miles from camp?

Big difference between the two.

22-Jul-16
Jaquomo I want one for just in case for when I'm not near camp

22-Jul-16
I have a Helly Hansen rain jacket and also Frogg Toggs

I'm covered for whatever comes

2013 is still a vivid memory

22-Jul-16
Ok, good. Then check out the other thread where the pros-cons are discussed at length. Don't want to be redundant here. Lots of good choices out there.

23-Jul-16
I too prefer light weight rain gear for the "just in case"! But, I also want it to be decent for all rain & wet snows if caught out in that weather unexpectedly. I chose the Kryptek rain gear, it works great & fits nicely, not too tight or too baggy, baggy is worse that too tight for me.

Here's a link to the gear. https://kryptekstore.com/poseidon-rain-pant-highlander

Mine weighs in a 2# for tops & bottoms. I picked them up at sierra trading posts when they had deals going. They still do now & then. I payed around 150.00 or so for both top & bottom, that's 1/2 price, gear works awesome at keeping you dry!

ElkNut1

24-Jul-16
Cabelas Space Rain is what your looking for...

24-Jul-16
I use Sitka raingear but when I don't I use Marmot Precips. My biggest word of advice is I wouldn't buy any rain jacket that doesn't have pitzips or you will get wet from the inside out! As Elknut mentioned above Sierratrading has INCREDIBLE deals. You should be able to pick up Marmot Precips in brown or green colors for around $50 each (top/bottoms) with a 20 to 30% discount code. That more than 1/2 what new Marmot Precips cost.

I use my Marmot Precips all the time in Alaska and they have always worked well with me....and it is know to rain quite a bit in Alaska!

I've used Helly Hansons a bunch in Alaska on boats or when not hiking. They are pretty much non-breathable so keep that in mind or you may perspire and get wet. They are as much 100% rainproof as anything but are bulky.

24-Jul-16
Well.....I spent $400 in 2006 for a set of Sitka Downpour pants and jacket. So far I've had Sitka replace the entire set for FREE with the newest model when the velcro for the wrists came off. So......$400 divided by 10......pretty cheap vs. buying crap $150 rain gear every 2-3 years. Quality always ends up cheaper in the long run.

24-Jul-16
Jordan, honestly do you always carry that Downpour suit in your pack all day every day when hunting elk?

24-Jul-16
yup....pretty light Lou......only knock is it noisier than I'd like. I also have Russell's version in super fat man size (it was cheap). It is quieter.

24-Jul-16
I messed with the Sitka downpour raingear, it looks pretty good but it isn't any better or lighter than the Kryptek rain gear I ended up with. The Kryptek & Sitka are very close at 1/2 the price & the weights were the same for tops & bottoms. Use what works for you!

p.s. neither are what I'd call quiet but both are acceptable.

ElkNut1

24-Jul-16
Jordan, that's great if it works for you. You're the first person I've ever heard of who carries a three pound rain suit (28 oz for the jacket, 20.5 for the pants) everywhere in their elk hunting pack, all day every day, no matter what. No question it's awesome stuff, but most people don't carry something that heavy everywhere they go.

You're the man!

24-Jul-16
I thought Jordan was referring to the Dewpoint? It's 22.11 ounces & the Kryptek is 21.8.oz a set! -- Yes the Downpour is heavier.

Jaq, was does a Space Rain set weigh? Thanks!

ElkNut1

24-Jul-16
Elknut, depends on size, of course, but my XL set weighs right at 16 oz. Not much difference from the Kryptek or Dewpoint except it's more compact in the stuff sacks.

25-Jul-16
I've been carrying the Downpour for 5 years. Yes it's a couple ounces heavier than some of the others, and it's definitely not treestand whitetail quiet :), but it's durable, and waterproof. Sitka also stands behind the gear in an amazing way. I'm very happy with it. I also carry it anytime I'm in the elk woods. When I leave in the morning 99% of the time I don't see the camp until dark again. A lot can happen during the daylight hours in the mountains as we all know....

25-Jul-16
Thanks, that is light! I'll have to check it out, a medium would be even lighter! (grin) I don't pack mine everyday, I only pack it when I see the possibility of bad rains, a little dousing here & there during the day doesn't bother me.

ElkNut1

25-Jul-16
Elladdict, I wouldn't call two pounds difference "a couple ounces", but if It works for you, that's great. Most people I know who have heavy rain gear leave it in camp most of the time, where it does no good.

25-Jul-16
I am SO NOT the man....LOL. But thanks. I just like having it, have tried many others, and keep coming back to it. I carry a heck of a lot more crap than I need in the woods. But then, if I don't have it and need it......why bother having it at camp?

Now that I live here and spend more time in the woods (rather than one trip a year) I may change my ways and adapt to a lighter load out. :)

Heck, I bought a tactical vest to try this year to have better weight distribution for my Glock (first year carrying it) and quick access to my gps, In Reach SE, Knife, calls, etc. Kinda like a turkey hunting vest with a cross draw holster on the front.

Used it this weekend. Its not light but I like it so far. Less crap in my pack wearing on my shoulders and hips and nothing dragging down my pants in my pockets.

Everyone has their own preferences. I love my Sitka!

25-Jul-16
Bought a Core4 rain jacket. It leaked...sent it back for warranty got another one. Still get wet in it, though not as bad. Finally decided even if I do send it back again, I'll never have confidence in it so I bought a Kuiu rain jacket. I get it today. I regret trying to save on Core4 myself.

25-Jul-16
FrogTogs at Walmart....$20.

25-Jul-16
Jaq, I pulled up my spreadsheet. Sorry mine are the Stormfront. They weigh in at exactly 43.4 ounces. So it's 1#4oz heavier than Kryptek. I'm ok with that, as I know it's bombproof and I like to be dry. I do carry mine all day long every day.

25-Jul-16
KINGS Camo. I spent a week in mine on a bear hunt in ID. Climatex rain gear. NO Leaks. was quite happy I got mine on discount for $70 total. Jaquoma is right on. If you want something for just cloudburst or do you want something that you might be living in for extended period of time?

25-Jul-16
Kryptek has some rain pants and jackets in their clearance section on occasion. I have a set to try for this year.

25-Jul-16

JordanMOFLCO's embedded Photo
JordanMOFLCO's embedded Photo
Here ya go Lou! (grin) Screw heavy arse SITKA......go HEFTY!

25-Jul-16
Space Rain performance and light weight and price is not a killer.

25-Jul-16
I've backpacked all over the West for up to 14 days at a time with a piece of visqueen for a tent and a plastic poncho for rain gear. A Hefty bag would have been a significant upgrade!

25-Jul-16
Another Space Rain guy here. Super light, packable, wont break the bank and It works.

26-Jul-16
I have two sets of KUIU rain gear for different hunts and they are pretty light but for Colorado and some Thunder snow or rain I have to agree with all of the guys using the Cabelas Space rain gear. I have the older ones and since then I have been told they have zippers on the legs.Mine do not and that was my only complaint with them, Had to de-boot to put them on! But I still have them and will likely use them again even if I have to remove my boots to put them on. They are so compact no one I know makes an emergency suit like this. You can almost put the full suit in two cargo pockets. Well yes you can! They are not that breathable but if you just need to wait out some bad weather they work great.

26-Jul-16
ECWCS genIII military surplus. Goretex, very compressible and light. They pack up to the size of Cabela's Space rain gear. But, they are a true wet weather piece of clothing.

I carry my Cabela's most of the time but, if it is supposed to be dreary wet all day, I wear the Military stuff. God Bless

26-Jul-16
Having rain gear is more for comfort when hunting out west. These days I like the safety net of having it with me only on the days it looks like it may be needed. I elk hunted for years without it & sure I got wet on countless of occasions but you will dry off! (grin) When I was younger I was OK with that, as I get older I like the rain gear to turn to if needed just like I prefer a Travel Trailer over a Wall tent these days too, I can hunt out of either but prefer the unbeatable comfort one offers over the other.

Rain gear isn't just for rain/snowy days. Many days you'll have to negotiate very wet brush from heavy dews or when it's rained all night & everything out there is soaked yet the day is now clear. Having the rain suit at that time as you hit the woods can keep you dry until the sun dries out your surroundings & the rain suit is no longer needed for the day.

I like to keep those cold wet days to the bone behind me now, maybe I'm wiser maybe not! (grin) I've been soaked all day long & never thought about dying so for me it's not a safety thing but more of a comfort line of thinking, this is why a light weight suit as the Kryptek or Space Rain others mention is really all you need when elk hunting the west.

Be reasonable & don't overthink it!

ElkNut1

26-Jul-16
I agree with Elknut that it's about comfort in most cases. But in areas that have regular hailstorms and rapid temperature drops it's more than that. In parts of northern CO and southern WY, it's not unusual to have temperature swings if 30-35+ degrees in minutes and hail piling up several inches deep. This happened to me most recently a couple weeks ago and I described it in another thread about Space Rain gear.

Being saturated and deeply chilled after being pelted with hail for 20 minutes, then exposed to wind chill in the twenties with an ambient temp in the 40s (this happens all summer and fall, almost weekly in the NOCO mountains) is a prescription for serious problems. This "sudden hail" phenomenon is a common occurrence in places like Rocky Mountain National Park and they warn people about it at the trailheads.

This is from the CPW website: ? An unprepared person may become a victim at temperatures as high as 45° Fahrenheit. In cases affecting hunters or hikers, a combination of four factors are usually present:

1.Cold (45° or below)

2.Wetness (caused by rain, snow, immersion, or condensed perspiration)

3.Wind (chill factor)

4.A likely victim (a person who is exhausted and unprepared to protect himself or herself).

Good clothing, adequate knowledge, emergency shelter and emergency rations can prevent most fatalities from hypothermia. This is why hypothermia is called the 'Killer of the Unprepared'.

Know your enemy. Never underestimate the power of cold, dampness and wind. Do not overestimate your own strength or that of your party. One individual or mishap can pin you to a location exposed to the elements.

26-Jul-16

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
This hailstorm happened on August 28th, the Friday afternoon before opening day of elk season in CO, at around 9,000 feet. It was sunny in the morning, not a cloud in the sky.

This sort of thing happens all the time in our part of CO.

26-Jul-16
Excellent information!

26-Jul-16
Lou, exactly why I carrry my raingear all day every day, and it's a little heavier than others. I know it's bombproof and I will stay dry and cozy.

26-Jul-16
Elkaddict, good plan. If something goes sideways you'll be one of the guys in the headline, "Stranded injured hunter found safe, in great condition". Everything I carry while hunting or scouting, including my survival kit, is pointed toward that outcome rather than hoping for "best case".

If we have one of those monsoonal weather patterns in the area and I'm hunting several miles from camp, I also carry a Kifaru Paratarp in my day pack. It weighs about 1.25 lbs with titanium stakes. I've only needed it once, but boy was I happy I had it that day. Hunting alone, if I get injured it could be a lifesaver until SAR arrives.

26-Jul-16
Yes sir, better safe than sorry! (grin) Jaq, good info!

ElkNut1

26-Jul-16
I just bought a set of Space Rain. To say it packs small and light is an understatement. I'd guess both pieces together are less than a pound, if not pretty darn close!

26-Jul-16
Amen Lou....I've got a silnylon tarp I carry as well.....plan for the worst but hope for the best. I'd rather take one less game bag and have the gear I need if things go sideways or worse. I can always come back with the extra game bag but if I left behind a piece of gear that made the difference in getting back then it is all for naught.

28-Jul-16
Helly Hanson Impertech - lightweight , durable, inexpensive - done. FWIW- I also have a Frogg Toggs suit and while it is light weight, it sucks for sustained heavy rain. Ok for sprinkles but otherwise worthless. It stays at home.

• Sitka Gear