elkstabber 25-Jul-16
OFFHNTN 25-Jul-16
Dan Mallia 11-Aug-16
Brotsky 11-Aug-16
EmbryOklahoma 11-Aug-16
23-Jul-16

TheSaint's embedded Photo
TheSaint's embedded Photo
Took this pic today while scouting my unit. Would you shoot or pass? I think he'll be my backup buck! What do you think?

23-Jul-16
Good looking buck

He would be very tempting!

Good luck, Robb

23-Jul-16
I'd gladly take him!

23-Jul-16
I like brows, he walks:). NOT!

23-Jul-16
Wouldn't get a pass from me. Nice buck.

23-Jul-16
I'd take him...or try at least :^)

23-Jul-16
Blayne, considering where you're hunting I'd file him away as an alternate..

;)

23-Jul-16
He gets an arrow from me. What do you think he scores? I'm not experienced with mule deer scoring......I'm gonna guess 170?

23-Jul-16
Yeah, he's definitely a back-up buck. It'll be interesting to see how much he grows between now and then :)

23-Jul-16
Low-mid 150s net after the velvet comes off. Pretty guy, but has relatively short mains, no brows, and short G3. Inside spread of around 18"

23-Jul-16
I have my wife hunting for the first time archery deer. He is a shooter for her in a second. PLease send coordinates and we will make your decision easy.

23-Jul-16
I need to get off my duff and get out there and muley hunt someday soon. Been a dream of mine since I was a kid. I am 55 now and still haven't made it happen... and it is one of the tops of my "bucket list". Oh how time flies.

23-Jul-16
Since I've never killed a mule deer, he'd be in grave danger. Looking forward to August 25th and the 9 days after.

23-Jul-16
5 weeks out for our Mule Deer season and my honey hole on fire yesterday!!! Ugh. Still cant wait :)

23-Jul-16
Depends where your hunting and how many you'v killed. Good looking buck.

23-Jul-16
There are bigger, but I like the look of this one. Game on!!

Good luck!

23-Jul-16
I wouldn't be able to pass him. He's gets a chance to ride in the back of my truck.

23-Jul-16
I can not wait for season to start. I am starting my wife on her first archery deer hunt. We are packing the kids and hoping for a great family hunt.

23-Jul-16
Wouldn't even hesitate!

23-Jul-16
Drop him like a bad habit

24-Jul-16
Juaq/Mav- Thanks for confirmation on score. So I would be REALLY happy with a 170" is what your telling me! Id' still shoot that deer but I've never killed a good mule deer with my bow. Hope this is the year.

24-Jul-16
Other than Randy Ulmer, pretty much any mule deer hunter should be REALLY happy with an honest 170 buck.

24-Jul-16
Pass unless I'm elk hunting and have a deer tag I can get every year.

If I'm specifically hunting mule deer chances are it took me at least a couple to 5 points to get it so I'm looking for bigger.

24-Jul-16
Maverick, funny about "internet and TV" 200" muleys vs actual bucks that size. Cracks me up when a TV hunter talks about antler score on a buck that is very nice, but nowhere near what they are spouting. I believe it gives people unrealistic expectations, especially score-hounds.

When I bring guys to my cabin and show them a true 200"+ buck next to a 175 buck, they are like "oh...".

24-Jul-16
Lou,

This isn't the buck I'm after at all. However, the pic may be a little deceiving. I'll post a few more when I get home tonight. I think this buck will gross in the 160's. I doubt he'll grow much larger....pretty buck though! My scouting is pretty much done before the season opener. Heading to Nunavut to hunt musk ox and bou mid-August. There's a slight chance I'll get back to the unit before then but it's going to be tight! I've been pretty lucky with muley's so I'm really trying to hold out for a 180+. We'll see!!!

Blayne

24-Jul-16
Blayne, knowing you I'm sure he's a backup buck. I estimated net low to mid 150s taking into account the deduction on the G3 and main beam, plus the usual side-side differences. So grossing 160 isn't out of the ballpark. Like I said, he's a pretty buck, just not what you're looking for.

Good luck up north!

24-Jul-16

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
I'm using my recurve this year so that buck would have a zwickey coming at him.

Of course if this buck that was just behind the deer I killed last year is bigger I'll be taking him with the stick.

24-Jul-16
Cool buck, Scott!

Adding: I don't really care about net scores on muleys because some of the best "stuff" on a mature mule deer counts against the net typical score. My second-favorite buck is a crazy thing that grosses almost 180 but barely makes P&Y as a typical.

24-Jul-16

Agree- here's one from Town last year one of my officers had to shoot after a car hit him- he had already dropped his paddles!

25-Jul-16

oldgoat's embedded Photo
oldgoat's embedded Photo
I'd settle for a really dumb one! Here's a shot of the only ones I've seen this year, in the parking lot of my archery club.

25-Jul-16
If I were a big buck, I'd go hang out in the local archery club parking lot during non-shooting hours too. Because irony is a beautiful thing.

25-Jul-16
I found a roadkilled 170" whitetail in front of our archery range clubhouse. He should've stayed out on the range.

25-Jul-16

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo

25-Jul-16
Less than two weeks to go for my first spot and stalk mule deer. Can't wait!!! Any 4x4 is in serious danger. And most 3x3s had better be careful too.

25-Jul-16
Me

11-Aug-16
I'd be flinging......

11-Aug-16
44 days and a wake up...seems like an eternity!

11-Aug-16
15 days and a wake up here, Brotsky! Ready to get on the mountain!

• Sitka Gear