Buffalo1 27-Nov-16
Jaquomo 27-Nov-16
Buffalo1 28-Nov-16
Jaquomo 28-Nov-16
26-Jul-16

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo

Charlie Rehor's Link
All B&C Measurers just received the latest edition of "How to Score North American Big Game". If you are interested in proper measuring techniques this is a must have publication. The illustrations and method explanations are very easy to understand. If interested you can order it from the Boone & Crockett website (link attached).

Pope & Young Club has a similar manual as well but this updated version is impressive.

Most all the measuring is the same between B&C & P&Y but the manual has a section in the back that discusses the differences.

26-Jul-16

Online order position.

26-Jul-16
Going to have to order one of those!

27-Jul-16
Zack: The illustrations were done by Chris Lacey, noted wildlife artist and fellow B&C Measurer. His renditions and B&C technique explanations are a step above previous editions for sure.

Also, The "Category Boundary Maps" were provided by onXmaps and are very detailed. You Cali guys can easily see the boundary for Columbian Blacktail:)

There is also a complete discussion on how to do DNA sampling.

27-Jul-16
Indeed this is a very good book and reference manual, got mine the other day and am very impressed with it.

27-Jul-16
I got the book the other day and was very impressed! The drawings and illustrations really help explain the measuring techniques. They did an amazing job on this book.

27-Jul-16
A 10.... B&C set the bar high. Ed F

28-Jul-16
I like it and my Trophy Search option via B&C.

I wish P&Y would put together a similar Trophy Search option.

Good luck, Robb

28-Jul-16
Ed F.

Did you notice that this book measures the G1 of elk from the tip to the base line. I was taught by P and Y and B and C to measure from base line to the tip. I can do it if they want, I was just curious.

Dave Heffner Roseburg, OR

27-Nov-16
I wanted to bring this back for those interested in really knowing the how to and why's of measuring North Americas big game animals. It can be ordered on the B&C Web site.

27-Nov-16
Does it have sections on "internet score" and "outfitter score"?

;-)

27-Nov-16
Jaq- add 10% if the animal is dead. Add 20% if still alive.

27-Nov-16
LOL Buckeye! That's about right!

27-Nov-16
I thought scoring an animal was a "self measuring proclamation" !! Didn't know there is really an organized system for scoring an animal. This is interesting stuff. WOW !!

27-Nov-16
I just-read a newspaper article that described the B&C scoring system for elk as being the width of the antlers and the length of the "main stems" added together.

28-Nov-16
Lou,

At least the article "added" length and width to obtain linear inches rather than "multiplied" the two to get square inches of an animal !!

28-Nov-16
After Colorado instituted the "Samson Law" for higher fines when trophy animals are poached, one of the stipulations was that an elk must be a "6 x 6". A mountain rancher friend (who is also an elk hunter) told me, "Hell, an elk that's six feet tall and six feet long is a pretty big elk!". He was serious. Westerners don't refer to an elk as a "six-by-six". It would be a "six point".

• Sitka Gear