sisabdulax 27-Jul-16
Barty1970 28-Jul-16
Barty1970 28-Jul-16
Barty1970 28-Jul-16
Stixbow 28-Jul-16
Stixbow 28-Jul-16
Sivart 28-Jul-16
26-Jul-16
For you guys that are familiar with Kifaru packs, help me out. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an Exo 5500. I've read all the reviews for the Kifarus and realize they are very good packs. I see a lot of used ones available and realize that for the same money as a new Exo, I could pick up a used Kifaru in good shape. What are your recommendations?

26-Jul-16
Kifaru for me. Nothing else comes close as far as comfort.

26-Jul-16
I meant recommendations for which Kifaru pack and frame setup that, used, would be comparable in size and cost to a new Exo 5500.

26-Jul-16
If you get an EMR2 you can collapse it for small or expand it for a week long backpack hunt and only have to buy one pack!

26-Jul-16
What type of hunting do you do? I have a duplex frame and 2 different kifaru bags that serve completely different purposes. Well work the price if you spend a lot of time with a pack on your back!

26-Jul-16
Start with a Hunter Duplex frame and pick the bag that fits your needs. My "big pack" of choice is the Mountain Warrior (5800 ci without a lid, 6800 w/lid), but I also have a Mountain Rambler on a Bikini Frame, a 22 Mag on an Ultra Lite Duplex frame and a Tarryall which has its own integrated frame.

I've had two EXO packs and while they are nice packs, they are not a Kifaru.

You could say I qualify as a "Kifaru Fan" ;)

26-Jul-16
This year will be a 7 day pack in hunt. I don't expect to need it more than 2-3 times a year for more than 7-10 days each. If at some point I decide to go longer, I could upgrade if needed. Thanks.

Jeremy

26-Jul-16
Mountain Warrior....

26-Jul-16
Thanks Kota!

26-Jul-16
Why not just call Kifaru and ask to speak to someone and let them make a recommendation.

26-Jul-16
I have the New Duplex with the timberline 2 and I love it. I compress it down most of the time and use it as a day pack but I look forward to hauling meat in it or my tree stand.

26-Jul-16
For 7 to 10 day hunts I like a T1. With that said I just went to a cargo panel this year. Throw on a large side pocket and belt pouch for day hunt mode. If I want to spike in I just throw in a camp bag with my gear in it.

26-Jul-16
I have a Mountain Warrior on their older duplex frame and like it.

26-Jul-16
generation ii duplex, then pick a bag, any bag that's a little bigger than you think you need.

26-Jul-16
EMR II. It has more room than you have stuff to put in it. Compresses down to day pack size. You can add a guide lid, pockets, grab it sling. I can put a weeks worth of stuff, tent, sleeping pad, spotting scope, tripod, butt pad, pull outs full of junk you need, strap my bow to it with the grab it and it still have plenty of room. I love my pack

27-Jul-16
"I have a Mountain Warrior on their older duplex frame and like it."

Ditto! Great pack for hauling and compresses nicely for daypack use.

27-Jul-16
I would just call Aron, he is always willing to help! I'm running a Kifar 26" Tactical frame with the Argali bag, with 6 medium belt pouches and guide lid... I'm pushing 10k C.I and i can use it as my day pack as well because it compresses so flat!

I'll never own another pack, maybe other bags, after trying the Kuiu, SG, and HornHunter. It's Kifaru for me.

27-Jul-16

Barty1970's embedded Photo
From a teeny likkle day pack...

27-Jul-16

....to a 137 litre leviathan, the EMRII has got you covered...

27-Jul-16
JLeMieux: I just got to try on a Kifaru for the first time yesterday. I've hunted with the ILBE, Kuiu, and borrowed a Stone Glacier in the past. The Kifaru is WAY ahead of them in my opinion. I would definitely recommend a used Kifaru Duplex frame if you want one frame that you'll use for a long time.

I'm sure the Exo pack is good too but I've never been able to try one.

BTW: The Marine surplus ILBE pack is the absolute best pack for the money (used on eBay less than $100) if you're buying a pack for the first time.

27-Jul-16
I really appreciate all the input guys.

27-Jul-16
My favorite pack the Kuiu Ultra 6,000 was just on sale complete for $209.99 @ only 3.8 pounds. Nuff said...

27-Jul-16
Get the new duplex frame, it is tremndously more comfortable.

After that, for your uses go simple and get the T1 bag and either a used longhunter lid or the new guide lid.

Very versatile and all your gear for 7-10 days will fit inside.

27-Jul-16
Like was said above, call Kifaru. Yes, you won't have to press 1 to speak to an American. Good old USA speaking customer service.

27-Jul-16
I'm an Exo guy, best pack I've ever used. If you decide on Kifaru there's no better person on the planet to talk with than Aron about those packs! He knows them inside & out!

ElkNut1

27-Jul-16
When you guys say new Duplex, are you referring to the ultralight?

The Exo isn't completely out, I guess it depends on which comes up first for the right price.

27-Jul-16
I have the bikini frame. Didn't Kifaru come out with a panel to keep from getting poked in the back with stuff with the bikini frame ?? I can't find it on there wed site..

Ed

27-Jul-16
I bought a DT2 with (older model) duplex frame in 2015 and hunted with it last fall. I ended up not liking it very much, the frame was so stiff it felt like having plywood strapped on my back. That's just me though, I know a lot of folks love their packs.

I sold that one and bought an Exo 5500 last winter. I've used it on training hikes up to 75 lb all summer and like it a lot. It's more comfortable for me and I like the functionality of the pockets better. I do wish the Exo had a bigger lid though, not enough storage space in there compared to the XTL lid I had on the DT2. Same with the belt pockets, those could be bigger.

My thought is that the frame is more sturdy on a kifaru, so if you plan on packing 125 lb routinely that would be the safer bet. I don't see the Exo having any problem with a 100 lb load, and that's about as heavy as I like to go anyways.

27-Jul-16

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
I've been a Kifaru die hard after my first pack back in 2004. Kifaru Packs are very comfortable. Backed by a great company! I'm using the EMR 2 for this season

27-Jul-16
JLeMieux: The Ultralight Duplex and the Hunter Duplex are the exact same frame. The Ultralight uses carbon arrows for the stays and the Hunter uses either aluminum, or carbon/wood laminated stays. For me the Hunter is more comfortable and handles a load WAY better. As far as the stays go, if you have a "normal" back shape the carbon stays work great. If you want to "shape" your stays or if you have a unique back shape, the aluminum stays are the way to go. I've always gotten by comfortably with the Carbon/wood laminated stays.

For a "general use" pack frame, I like the Bikini (if you can find one used) or the Hunter Duplex. The older Duplex frame will haul a volkswagon, but it is stiff and heavier. I personally have no use for the older Duplex frame.

27-Jul-16
"I have the bikini frame. Didn't Kifaru come out with a panel to keep from getting poked in the back with stuff with the bikini frame ?? I can't find it on there wed site.. Ed "

Ed...The Kydex sheet was a proto type and really never went to production. I sent my Bikini in and had Aron put one on as a "test". To this day, that frame is one of my favorites and carries my Mountain Rambler. The sheet really firmed up the Bikini and solved the problem of stuff poking through., but with the Bikini no longer in production, I'm sure the sheet fix got put to rest.

27-Jul-16
I gave them a call today. I believe I'm squared away. I really appreciate all the input from everyone. I haven't ruled out the Exo, I just need to decide which is best for me.

27-Jul-16
Go ahead and drop the money. It will be worth it

27-Jul-16
After alot of time I ordered the nomad and a duplex frame. Should be here soon, but I believe will be worth the wait. Immediate scouting trip and Ill report back

28-Jul-16

I'll admit that before dropping the string on beaucoup dollar, I spent a long time researching packs [kinda hard when all the good packs are in the US and I'm in the UK]

But in terms of reliability and workmanship, the extra price of Kifaru more than outweighed the cost of gear failure as per the following pictures of very unhappy looking Exo packs

28-Jul-16

28-Jul-16

28-Jul-16
Has anyone tried the Tactical Frame with arrows yet? I'd be interested to hear how that works out, Aron put up a video on YouTube about it, was curious if anyone had first hand experience

28-Jul-16
Has anyone tried the Tactical Frame with arrows yet? I'd be interested to hear how that works out, Aron put up a video on YouTube about it, was curious if anyone had first hand experience

28-Jul-16
I would look into a used longhunter. I still prefer this pack over all others. I wish they still offered it.

• Sitka Gear