Trial153 27-Jul-16
elkstabber 28-Jul-16
Scar Finga 28-Jul-16
El Je-bow 28-Jul-16
John Haeberle 28-Jul-16
Kevin Dill 28-Jul-16
Trial153 28-Jul-16
27-Jul-16
I will start by saying I'm very picky when it comes to my elk pack as I'm sure most of you are. My preference has been for a light pack that I can comfortably hunt in and carry out the first load back to the truck and then get my cabela's frame pack for the bulk of the work. My hunts are anywhere from 2-4 mile hunts up to overnight hunts 6-8 miles in. I have been using an Osprey 45 liter pack built for backpacking and not hunting mainly because I have found this to be the lightest pack and most comfortable for me. I have tried Eberlestock x2, sitka bivy 45 and Badlands 2200 packs and keep going back to my Osprey pack. I know the Osprey pack is not great for the heavy load out and my back is paying the price!

I recently came across the Mystery Ranch Cabinet pack and tried it on in the store and it seems like a very comfortable pack that can be cinched down small for day hunting and comfortably handle a decent load on the first trip out. I have been searching for reviews on this pack and can't seem to find any except one and that review is all but worthless.

Has anyone used this pack? I know there are many that love the Kuiu and Stone glacier packs but I don't thing those have the organization that I am accustomed to with my Osprey. thanks for your advice.

27-Jul-16
Sorry, I've never tried it, and since it's new, you're gonna have a difficult time finding reviews. For what it's worth, it appears that the MR Cabinet replaced the very popular MR Crew Cab - which always got rave reviews. Virtually the only criticism the CC (and most MR packs) got, was the empty weight of them - they tended to be heavier then most premium hunting packs. The good news is, it looks like they shaved a few pounds off the Cabinet, compared to the CC. You really can't go wrong with the quality of the MR packs, it's whether or not they fit you right - you could always order one, try it on, and return it, per their return policy, if the fit isn't for you. Good luck, and if you end up with it, please write a review on it.

27-Jul-16
I had a Crew Cab, it's was a solid as they come carting a load. Like it was said above my only compant was the empty weight of it. Since more often then not I was using it in a day pack mode the extras 2.5-3 pounds wasn't something I desired day in day out. That said the difference would be that with the CC I wouldn't be switching out for hauling meat after the first load. The CC was an excellent load hauling pack. If they slimed the newer version down as far as weight goes I have to take another look at it. It just maybe in the card to replace it,

27-Jul-16
Thanks guys. At 5.7-LB's empty it's definitely not a "light pack" IMO. However I will say when I picked it up at the shop it sure didn't feel that heavy!

27-Jul-16
Looking at the new cabinet now, looks like it's coming in at 5.7 pounds. Still fairly heavy compared to say an EXO k2000 (4 pounds) , Kifaru 14r(3 13 oz) KUIU ico pro 1850 (about 4 pounds) ...

What I am getting at is there still is lighter weight options. Not that the will all haul a lad the same but they suit you as well.

27-Jul-16
Another pack to consider is the MR Plinter, it's more streamline and a little lighter. Looks like it will haul meat excellent however it's real strength looks to be how streamline it is.

27-Jul-16

El Je-bow's Link

27-Jul-16

El Je-bow's Link
the KUIU Ico pro 1850 looks like a pretty sweet pack and I do like the organization and general set up. What I'm now wondering is will the KUIU 1850 handle quartered elk the same, better or worse than the Mystery Ranch Cabin.

The youtube clip shows some good modifications as well.

27-Jul-16
Just my two cents. The MR will handle the weight better ...that said I think the new icon pros are a pretty solid pack as well. They seemed to get it right after a few early versions not being the greatest, that's coming from someone that admittedly isn't the KUIU fan. I wouldn't think twice about running a icon.

28-Jul-16
I've used the Icon Pro 1850 for the last two years. With a load over 40# I can't keep the waistbelt up. This transfers the weight to the shoulders.

There are better packs out there.

28-Jul-16
I just sent my Kuiu PRO 1850 back. I had it for 2 weeks and tried everything I could to make it comfortable on my lower back... I went from my normal 40lbs all the way down to 20lbs pounds and it just didn't work. I do have a few lower back issues, but my Horn Hunter pack doesn't hurt me at all with 40-50lbs in it. I am sure it's a great pack, I loved the design and the weight!

Along the lines of empty pack weights, some packs just wear heavy!

Scar.

28-Jul-16
Thanks all for the comments. I just pulled the trigger on the Icon Pro 3200. I'll give a report, fingers crossed.

28-Jul-16
My Icon Pro works great ... walked last week with 65 pounds and didn't have much trouble at all with the waistbelt or shoulders or the back. I haven't tried with heavier weight -- increasing 5# per week for now.

28-Jul-16
I own one of the new Pintler packs from MR. I've been playing with it and getting familiar with the adjustments and mods. I got the pack specifically to use as a day pack in Alaska (2500 cubes) and as a freighter to haul meat if I am successful. The Guide Light frame has far more lateral/torsional flex vs the NICE frame, so I will like it for normal carry. The vertical stiffness is just as good as the NICE frame and will handle more weight than I'm willing to carry. Overall the Pintler is slim and has a tight feel to it. No over-abundance of external stuff which I really didn't want. I like a clean pack for hunting. Finally, I have always liked the MR adjustable yoke system.

I know the Cabinet and Pintler are totally different bags, but they use the same frame. Maybe this additional feedback will help people interpret which pack(s) are appropriate.

28-Jul-16
Thanks for the Plinter info Kevin, I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one if I can find II in stock.

• Sitka Gear