thatdogdonthunt 01-Aug-16
Amoebus 01-Aug-16
Chronic 01-Aug-16
Paul@thefort 01-Sep-16
redheadlvr 01-Sep-16
27-Jul-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I have been running 265/70/16 HandKook Dynapros on my truck for the past 8 years but the road noise is terrible.

90% of my driving is on hard services, the remaining on gravel or semi rough back roads.

For those of you that drive a similar percentage and do not do "off road driving" any suggestions as to a good but more quite tire? An all season tire?

My best, Paul

27-Jul-16
i always liked the BFG A/T...

Little less expensive is the Goodyear A/T but I don't get the same life expectancy as the BFG

good luck!

27-Jul-16
BFG A/T X2 excellent light truck tire

27-Jul-16
Paul, I have run Michelin LTX M/S (2) year around for about the past 20+ years, the first 2/3rds in CO on the same roads you travel. They are very quiet, have excellent ice, snow and wet road traction. They do fine on CO highway passes in the winter as I drove them between Golden and Berthoud Pass plus Leadville to Fremont Pass on my work vehicles during that time. They are fine on the back roads like Jones Pass, Hagerman Pass, etc. What I never had was rock cuts like always happen with the factory tires like Goodyear Wranglers or General Grabbers. So far I have used them on a Honda CRV, Nissan Xterra, Nissan Titan, GMC 1500, several F150s and my F350. Same opinion of them on all the rigs.....fine tire. They are not the cheapest but with their lower rolling resistance give a bit better gas mileage than most tires. Life seems average, and not as high as the warranty would indicate, or at least I won't run them through the winter in well worn condition. Good luck! Kurt

27-Jul-16
I run Firestone Wilderness A/T 10ply on my Taco and my Titan. They work really well in snow and mud and I have never had any issues with much of anything with those tires.

27-Jul-16
X2 on the Michelin LTX M/S.

27-Jul-16
Howdy Paul. I've run through tons of tires on my Tacoma and FJ. The quietest and longest lasting tires I have found are:

Nitto Terra Grappler Bridgestone Dueler Revo AT

Both of these tires were smooth and quiet and long lasting. I currently run Nitto Trail Grappler but they are Mud terrain tires and are chunky and louder. I wish I would have stayed with the Terra Grapplers. I've found BFG AT don't hold up as well and end up out of balance often causing noise.

27-Jul-16
Michelin LTX M/s

27-Jul-16
LTX M/S tires are discontinued in almost all sizes. They are replaced by the Defender LTX.

27-Jul-16
I love the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. They are a little pricey, but they handle great in all weather and they last about 50k if you rotate regularly.

27-Jul-16
I prefer Goodrich T/A's, but also like Goodyear Wranglers. Can't speak for the LTX M/S, but my F-250 came with the LTX A/T's. They're quiet and wear extremely well. Great on dry or wet roads, but absolutely SUCK in snow, ice, slush, and mud. Too bad you don't run 275/70R18's. Mine are collecting dust in my garage. ;-)

27-Jul-16
Micheline LTX Nitto Terra G2. They do get a little louder as they wear but not bad enough to be a nuisance.

27-Jul-16
Firestone Destination A/T. Work well, very quiet, and tend to be cheaper than many of the others.

27-Jul-16
Geez Paul, I've had great luck with the Hankook Dynapros. Almost all my driving is on hard roads as well but I have to have off road tires for my western and midwest late season hunts. I will look into the tires others have recommended but I was just about to buy new Hankooks:) Love the Tacomas!! C

27-Jul-16
Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar-used to be called Wrangler Silent Armor. I liked the Michelin MS2, but have better traction in snow with the more aggressive All-Terrain Wranglers (not the stock SR-A tire. Changing lanes in slush and snow is less tricky. Very quiet for an all-terrain tire. I tend to get about 40,000 miles from a set. The Michelins did deliver about 1-2 mpg better.

27-Jul-16
Firestone destination a/t on my 2011 tundra. Have one year and 10k on them. So far so good. Good traction quite smooth ride. Would buy again.

27-Jul-16
Bridgestone Dueler

27-Jul-16
I just run courser all terrains on mine. Cheap, wear well, fairly quiet, good off roads.

27-Jul-16
I too am running Hankook Dynapros but I dont find them to be noisy at all.... Just as quiet as the treadless eagle ls 2 I had on it before.

27-Jul-16
Toyo open country A/T

27-Jul-16
I will tell you what is loud and wears fast: I bought NITTO Trail GrapplerĀ® M/T for my Tundra and they are loud and are wearing very quickly.

10,000 miles and already half of the life is gone.

27-Jul-16
Take a really good look at P265/70R or 75R-16 Kumho Road Venture AT51 selling for $115.80 per tire on TireRack.com. You gain a full inch of lift if you move from 70R to 75R.

I paid $615.77 for 5 tires and another $200 for mounting and alignment. They are quiet on hard pavement and have a good grip off road. Last pair lasted me about 51000 miles.

Micheline Defender LTX M/S P265/70R or 75R-16 are a good choice but you will pay $220 per tire. In return they will probably last up to 80000 miles.

27-Jul-16
The toughness & dependability of the tires you are running is more than worth the road noise. Good decision!

27-Jul-16
Cheap

Good traction

Quiet

Pick any two. You aren't getting all three.

27-Jul-16
Firestone destination AT here ...second set over 50k on each. Quite and stable ride, good to excellent traction in all conditions

27-Jul-16
Super swamper boggers are super quiet! If you want quiet get a car!

27-Jul-16
Them super swampers are beast! As long as you have the side cleats intact you will go places you wouldn't believe.

I've been running BigO's bigfoots and they've treated me well for the price + their warranty and free rotation. Def quiet, I think my last set got me 45k and with decent tread left. I sold them back to the dealer to get a new set before my elk hunt.

With that said I may get BFG a/t's next time, IDK. Having tranny problems at the moment, ugh!

BTW its a Yota too.

27-Jul-16
My Mrs has the 4-Door/Long bed and she is very happy with her Toyo A/T tires...

32,500 miles on the ones we got her prior to her Afghanistan Deployment....

Be safe no matter what you decide on Paul.

Good luck, Robb

27-Jul-16
I just put Michelin Defenders on my 2014 Tacoma Sport and I'm very happy with them and they are silent!

27-Jul-16
Firestone MSR if you can find them , great wear and minimal noise. Deep lugs as well .

27-Jul-16
cooper at3

27-Jul-16
Michelin LTX

28-Jul-16
I've run BFG A/T and Michelin LTX.... Both are excellent...

28-Jul-16
I've run BFG A/T and Michelin LTX.... Both are excellent...

28-Jul-16
I drive a truck or a jeep and I want traction, so I'll gladly trade off a little noise. But that said, I've noiticed that most tire noise is a result of lack of regular rotations (4-5000 miles max) and/or some shock, suspension, or front end problems causing uneven tire wear. Once a tire gets cupped or scalloped it's gonna be noisy for the rest of its life. Prevent that and any AT style tire is pretty darn quiet, IMO. We aren't talking mudders here.

28-Jul-16
Thank you for all of the good suggestions, lots to chose from.

Prior to purchasing this Tacoma, I checked out a Toyota blog and one of the major comments was "road noise". Thinking it could not be that bad, I purchased it. Well, the road noise with factory tires drove me craze. I switched to HanHook Tires and they drove me craze until I just realized, I was going to have to live with it.

I tried to sound proof the rear of the cab, but that did no good to reduce the noise so I just live with it and turned up the radio.

You might notice that this model is the access cab and not the crew cab so there is not a lot of "dead" space back there to absorb and road noise.

I always rotate the tires every 6,000 miles at oil change so that is not an issue.

Thanks guys. my best, Paul

28-Jul-16
What psi are you running?

Might try running more air pressure to reduce noise.

28-Jul-16
BFG A/T's. Had them on my old truck and will be putting them on my new truck as soon as it needs them!

Had one set of Bridgestone Revo 2's, not impressed at all. Not near the life as the BFG A/T's.

28-Jul-16
Joey, usually 40 psi. Rated higher but at 45-50. then the truck rides like a tank.

28-Jul-16
Paul, 10-4

Just a thought. I see plenty folks that don't pay much attention to pressure running them in mid to high 20s.

Let us know what you pick for your next set and how they do for you.

28-Jul-16
On my tacoma bfg at ko's are loud as heck. Even when they were new they were loud. But I never get stuck and they laugh at snow. Michelin ltx are the best on road tires made. On my truck they would spin on wet grass though.

28-Jul-16
times how ever many Michelin LTX Defender Dad just put new tires on his tundra and got 80K out of the last set....and he runs them a little low for a cushy ride....it`ll be my next set for sure no more toyo M/T noise makers or any M/T`s for that matter...if it gets that bad ill chain up, MikeC

28-Jul-16
Ok, made a choice. Went down to the local Discount Tire store.

Purchased Yoko Geolander AT go15 tires. ( a new tire this year, ie, an upgrade over the older Geolander.

the 265/70/16 were only one ply on the side walls, and 4 ply on the bottom.. Sort of normal for a P= Passenger tire. Actually the same as the HanHook Dynapro tires I have been using.

I ordered the 265/75/16 and they are available in two ply on the side walls and 10 ply on the bottom.

I will gain one inch in height, more tread thickness, and the tread design will make the tire less aggressive and more quite but should still get me out of mud, snow, etc, within reason. 60,000 mile expected tread life. All warranties will be honored by Discount Tire.

Out the door, less than $800. Free repair and rotation.

Time will tell if these are the "perfect" tires.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Paul

28-Jul-16
I just looked at the Yoko Geolander AT go15. looks great, nice tread pattern. let us know how it works for you.

28-Jul-16
I run Mickey Thompson Baja mudders and just turn up the radio.... =D

Pull out guys with "quiet" tires stuck in wet grass all the time.... hehehehe....

29-Jul-16
I have he same truck and just put coopers on from discount tire.Fantastic!

29-Jul-16
Boy talk about a can of worms... Owned a 2002 ex cab 2.7 auto. Where I went, that truck took me to it. 288,000 mi. So I've had a few sets of rubber on it. I liked the Michelins but very costly. I had a set of Firestone Winter force. A winter mud off road directional tires that worked very well for me. So well a set is going on my newer 2010 Tacoma club cab long bed before an archery trip From Maine to WV. About $116.00 ea. I got good mileage out of them, and worked very well off road. If you want less noise Id go with a highway tread design.

31-Jul-16
I kind of like my Pirelli Scorpions. Pretty quiet but yet they have some gripping ability in mud. Not much snow around here to worry about.

31-Jul-16
I'm with Robb. Always had good life and performance in the Toyo tires.

01-Aug-16
You may want to have your wheel bearings checked. They make a noise often confused with tire noise. The TacoMas do have more road noise. By the way, did you get the rear leaf spring recall done yet?

01-Aug-16
Chad, I had one front wheel bearing replaced last year. Was a light clicking sound like a nail was in the tire. Turned out to be only one bad ball bearing in the wheel bearing.

Yes, I responded to the rear leaf spring recall. Scheduled to be replaced when they call.

Here is another heads up concerning tires and wheels and lug nuts on the Tacoma.

Recently I got a flat on the rear tire. Set up to replace with spare, and found that the 21mm tire iron would not fit over the lug nuts.

It seems that after a few tires sets and tire rotations, the lug nuts get deformed so that the 21mm lug nut wrench will not fit, thus one can not get the wheel off the flat.

I used another larger wrench and removed the flat tire.

I contacted my local Toyota dealer, told them the story and they gave me , no cost, all new lug nut and a new wrench and remounted them for free.

01-Aug-16
I'll have to check my tire iron. Good to know. My Tacoma seems noisy as well. I also have the Hancook tires, but it was noisy with the old tires as well. All terrain tires cup easily. If you are on a 5000 miles oil change interval, I would rotate every oil change to keep the tires wearing smoothly.

01-Aug-16
I had 2 sets of the Geolanders on my RAM over the years. They were quieter but wore out really quickly. I hope you have better luck.

Also on the Ram, I had the Michelins LTX which were very good. On my FJ now I have the Cooper at3 which have been the best of the tires that I have owned (but it is tough to compare those on the RAM verses the FJ).

brianhood pretty much summed up my experience with truck/suv tires...

"Cheap, Good traction, Quiet

Pick any two. You aren't getting all three."

01-Aug-16
I cant believe nobody said wrangler duratracs... Just picked up my second set for my Tacoma.

As long as you rotate them regularly they are unbeatable.

01-Sep-16
UPDATE: Just turned over 1000 miles on the Yoko Geo AT go15 tires. So far very impressive.

1. Very quite. I do not have to turn up the radio in my 08 Tacoma to high. No road whine from tire noise as the Hanhook ties did.

2. Went hunting in the high country last week. Seems like good gripping on rough road/rocks, up hill. Have not been in snow yet. I am not a off road junkie.

3. Will not know tire wear until it happens.

4. as I stated above, I upgraded to the heaver ply and from 265/ 70 to 265/ 75. I wanted a tire to be quite and to have some gripping power. So far, so good.

5. out the door, $833

my best, Paul

01-Sep-16
General Grabber2 is a good quiet tire as well.

• Sitka Gear