Mathews Inc.
How to tell original Rocket Steel Heads?
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
DartonJager 27-Jul-16
'Ike' (Phone) 27-Jul-16
smarba 27-Jul-16
trackman 27-Jul-16
Tracker12 27-Jul-16
Trial153 27-Jul-16
SDHNTR(home) 28-Jul-16
DartonJager 28-Jul-16
12yards 28-Jul-16
DartonJager 28-Jul-16
APauls 28-Jul-16
DartonJager 28-Jul-16
buzz mc 28-Jul-16
buzz mc 28-Jul-16
DartonJager 28-Jul-16
DartonJager 28-Jul-16
12yards 28-Jul-16
MJH 01-Aug-16
12yards 01-Aug-16
Davy C 01-Aug-16
12yards 04-Aug-16
APauls 05-Aug-16
27-Jul-16
Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, but how do I tell if the Rocket Steel Head mechanical BH's are the original now discontinued out of productions or the ones made by Trophy Ridge?

Would I be right in saying the originals are silver in color and the TR's are gold? I can find large no#s of both on line.

Thanks, Arthur.

27-Jul-16

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
A original pack...

27-Jul-16
Yep, I never really used Rockets, but I thought the originals were black and packaged per Ike posted.

27-Jul-16
That looks right i have used them and they were good heads.

27-Jul-16
There on my arrows and in my quiver. I have killed a lot of different critters with them and never been let down. Pic above is of the originals.

27-Jul-16
There was a bunch of originals being sold on eBay in lots, 3,6, 12 ect ect.... The supply seems to be winding down lately however.

28-Jul-16
Trophy Ridge did make some black ones for a short while,before they turned them yellow. The originals had a longer tip, were in the packaging shown above, and the tip had more scalloping to it. More like a trocar style? The TR versions had just a short little pyramid style tip.

28-Jul-16
Thanks for the help thus far, but cam anyone tell me if the silver colored Rocket Steel Heads are the originals or are only the black ones?

Or if they are advertised as "Rocket Steel heads" is it safe to assume they are the original actually made by Rocket Steel heads?

28-Jul-16
The original heads had black ferrules while the XP version with the cut on contact tip had a silver ferrule. They are both very good heads that will hold their own penetrating against most fixed heads. I've used both and like them both. I've stocked up on 100s and 125s off of ebay.

28-Jul-16
Thanks 12yards, I will buy a few to try out.

28-Jul-16
DartonJager - I wouldn't be worried at all about buying the new ones. I was trying to use the original ones as well until I tested the new ones in my back yard every which way. Been using the 100gr "new" ones for years now without a single issue. Several friends got on to them as well now. Not a single problem.

My fear was deflection shots, but fears were unfounded. I know plywood isn't a deer, but they only deflected at the same angle as two blade fixed COC heads for me in my testing at an extreme angle, so that was enough for me. I shoot and don't worry about it.

28-Jul-16
Thanks APauls, I just would strongly prefer USA made items to imports especially ones from china. I HATE all things Chinese. But your information is very helpful, and if necessary will buy and use the TR ones. Just ordered a dozen original by Rocket 100grn steel heads to try out. If I like them will buy a large quantity of them..

Last question. How does one lock down the blades on a steel head to practice with them?

28-Jul-16
"How does one lock down the blades on a steel head to practice with them?"

Dental floss

28-Jul-16

buzz mc's embedded Photo
buzz mc's embedded Photo
It sounds like APauls has answered your question, but here is a picture of the newer TR ones. The gold one is the older TR version, while the silver ones are the newer ones.

28-Jul-16
Thanks to all for your help, took the plunge and ordered a dozen of the black 100grn out of production ones. Splurged and went with 3-day priority so if I like them will order 2-3 dozen more.

Will report back when I'm done testing them. My set up is a High Country X-10 Speed pro set at a DW of 62lbs, a DL of 28.625" and my total arrow weight W/BH is 424grns. I am guesstimating my speed in the range of 275-280fps.

By testing I mean do they open up on raking shots and do they hit to same POI as my FP's. Will shoot them into a soft and large and flat as I can find container that holds water. Have some large sheets of leather laying around left over from one of my sons school projects I will also place over what ever I end up shooting.

It would be pretty much pointless to test them for durability as I have read hundreds of reviews of them and all attest to Steel Heads being A-bomb proof tough.

28-Jul-16
Thanks on the dental floss tip. I have read literally hundreds of reviews of Rocket Steel head MBH's and honestly I can count on one hand the number of negative reviews I read. I also did an equal amount of research on several other MBH's and none even came close to the positive FB the Steel Heads had.

Now that I think about it, I might just limit my testing to insure they hit to the same POI as my FP's as without doubt no MBH has been tested more to death than the Rocket Steel Heads have been. Will save me quite a few Steel Heads in doing so.

I know that NO BH regardless of design has never had zero in number of detractors, but none have had fewer per my research then the Rocket Steel Heads.

Am quite interested in seeing how they perform.

28-Jul-16
The only negatives that I see are I usually have a small entrance hole of about 3/4". The good news is that I have always had an exit hole. Another thing is the blades will bend if they hit bone or stick in the ground. I've never had a blade break though.

01-Aug-16
Awesome heads! I have had great luck with both the black and gold ferrules. Many of the black I bought off ebay. Disappointed they don't make them in 125gr anymore, so I have stockpiled 4 or 5 dozen with replacement blades for all. Probably will last my life time. Ain't broke so I'm not fixing it, nor do I ever see myself getting away from the 125.

01-Aug-16
I'm with you MJH! Love the 125s, but I only stocked up on a couple dozen. So I could eventually run out.

01-Aug-16
ohiohunter I am with you.

04-Aug-16
IMO, Steelheads provide the best of both worlds. Field tip accuracy and fixed head durability/penetration. And the 125s were 1 1/4". And really how much difference is there in cutting surface between a 2" two blade and a 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" three blade head? I'll bet not much.

05-Aug-16
On the bending blades: I would much rather have a blade bend than break off. I've shot a ton of animals with them and would have to say that pretty much every one of them had 3 blades going out the other side.

"Is it just me or does a mechanical bh with only a 1 1/8" cutting diameter kind of defeat the purpose?"

To me the purpose of shooting a mech head is not to have large blades. The reason I shoot them is because they are the ultimate in forgiveness. A Rocket Steelhead on the front of your arrow is essentially a field point. I love that flight characteristic for longer shots, windy shots, and come November here in Canada when I have to start bundling up and try as I might my form may not be 100%. They excel in all those scenarios, hence why I choose them.

I've also never been after the size of the hole type guy, more interested in where the hole lands. I've also always been more concerned about bone than guts, hence shooting a super tough mech instead of huge blades, but that's a personal preference thing. Even the ribs on a big Canadian whitetail or shoulder blade can start to wreak havoc on large aluminum broadheads.

• Sitka Gear