Moultrie Mobile
Plot Help
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
NockOut386 27-Jul-16
27-Jul-16
I'm trying to establish a foodplot back my blind. I have probably between 1/5-1/4 acre of land cleared out. I am going out this weekend to spray and kill the undergrowth in the area. I have never put in a plot but have been doing a ton of research.

I hunt old reclaim land (filled in coal pits) so the soil is super rocky. I haven't way to get any kind of equipment that can't be carried by hand back there. So I'm looking at a lot of rake work.

My plan is to clean up this area to the best of my ability to ensure seed to soil contact. Put down lime and fertilizer then plant some kind of clover, rye mix or clover, oats or winter wheat, turnip mix. From what I've heard these are some hearty mixes and tend to grow well anywhere. After planting I will take it in and walk it down good to help pack it. Sunlight won't be much of an issue I cleared out quite a few trees from the area last weekend.

My questions are, without a soil test what is my best bet on a lime to fertilizer mix? Are the seed mixes I have good and how much of what should I mix in? Also how long should I wait after spraying poison to clear out undergrowth and plant seed?

Thanks in advance!

• Sitka Gear