AH 29-Jul-16
Elkhuntr 29-Jul-16
IAHUNTER 30-Jul-16
IAHUNTER 30-Jul-16
IAHUNTER 30-Jul-16
27-Jul-16

Mad_Angler's Link
I just saw antler treats for dogs.

Does anyone slice up deer antlers and give them to their dogs? I can't see anyone slicing a big set of antlers but maybe from the smaller deer or from road kill...

27-Jul-16

WFG in NM's embedded Photo
WFG in NM's embedded Photo
Not so much deer, but our pups get lots of elk to chew on.

--Bill

27-Jul-16
i will sometimes give her the whole shed as it may be old and she found it.

28-Jul-16
Crappy sheds or something are fine. My problem is I always have people asking me for them. The worst is my wife's aunt likes them for using for buttons when she knits. She's pretty much the most generous person ever though, so I try and oblige. Really scored caribou hunting this year, brought back enough to keep her happy for a life time...just going to dole them out slow...

28-Jul-16
I made wind chimes from a few sets, my dog keeps any she finds, and I use some for knife handles. I'm not big on mounting stuff.

28-Jul-16
I have in the past with small sheds but my wife made me stop due to the vet getting on to her. Lots out there about fractured teeth from deer antlers. Personally I think it is highly dependent on how aggressively any particular dogs chews but it can happen.

WFG....rat terriers?

28-Jul-16
AH, Yes sir, the black and white is a Decker and the tuxedo is a standard. I personally haven't had any issues with broken teeth, but I cut the antler in half so they can get to the inside. I also sand the cut edges on a belt sander.

--Bill

29-Jul-16

AH's embedded Photo
AH's embedded Photo
Bill, I thought I was seeing Decker there. My current two with noses to ground. Far one is 25% Decker. They are tenacious hunters in a small package and great friends. Thanks for the tip on cut and sand, I will use that suggestion and let them enjoy antlers again. I also read where elk antler is better than whitetail on hardness due to higher marrow percentage. Thanks again for the suggestion!

29-Jul-16
I let my dogs chew on the smaller sheds we find.

30-Jul-16
Can't help but chime in on this one.

Trained field and gun dogs for about ten years, tons of retrievers and that included my own, they all got bones to chew on. Cuz, that's how we did it on the farm.

In summary, my old dogs have lots of cracked molars, very expensive and could have been prevented. My newish other half is a vet and told me no-no from day 1. Guess what....she was right.

Regular cleanings and a few rawhides are cheaper than a dog chewing any kind of bones.

Summary: bones are a no-no, unless training a shed hunting dog. Even then, limit it to training.

30-Jul-16

Trained field and gun dogs for about ten years, tons of retrievers and that included my own, they all got bones to chew on. Cuz, that's how we did it on the farm.

In summary, my old dogs have lots of cracked molars, very expensive and could have been prevented. My newish other half is a vet and told me no-no from day 1. Guess what....she was right.

Regular cleanings and a few rawhides are cheaper than a dog chewing any kind of bones.

Summary: bones are a no-no, unless training a shed hunting dog. Even then, limit it to training.

30-Jul-16

• Sitka Gear