Bud Meadows 15-Sep-16
Bud Meadows 15-Sep-16
Bud Meadows 15-Sep-16
Bud Meadows 15-Sep-16
BIGHORN 15-Sep-16
Ambush 16-Sep-16
Chief 419 16-Sep-16
01-Aug-16
Alright guys, I am heading to Africa in September for a plains game hunt. It will be a relatively short father - son hunt with my dad, we are only there for 6 days. My dad has pretty much finalized his "wish list" but i am still putting mine together. I know that i want to kill a Gemsbuck, impala and warthog. But I am trying to figure out what else i want to hunt... So if you guys had to pick 5 animals to hunt what 5 would they be.

And keep the budget somewhere between "the wife isnt going to like it" and "she is going to divorce me!"

01-Aug-16
I'd add kudu to your three....and keep the fifth slot "open" in case you see a really exceptionally animal of some given species.

01-Aug-16
Kudu and ELAND

01-Aug-16
Kuda and Zebra.

01-Aug-16
Nothing says Africa quite like a blue wildebeest.

01-Aug-16
I have always admired bush pigs. and bush bucks.

01-Aug-16
I am having to make same list you are , I am making payments and probably going in 2018 . I wanted to wait till I got there and decide as I go . Guide wants me to have a general list of what I want . I have never been to Africa , so I will be over whelmed and happy to be there and cant really decide either . Here is my list so far Gems buck, Impala, Kudu, Nyala, Sable, Spring Buck, and Wildebeest .

01-Aug-16
Two of the biggest attractions to hunting Africa are the variety of species and the opportunity.... It's nice to have a wish list, but I always advise clients to keep an open mind, and take advantage of the opportunities that Africa gives you. Some animals that didn't initially make an impression may impress you on the hoof broadside at 20 yards.

Approach your safari with that attitude and you can't go wrong. Safe travels, and best of luck!

01-Aug-16
Gemsbok, Kudu, Nyala, Impala, Sable would be my top five. I have little to no interest in some that others are very high on. Since I have never been, I am very willing to admit that I might get there and think: 'I HAVE to have one of those'!

I know full well, that Sables are really expensive, and Nyalas aren't cheap, so. I would say Kudu, Gemsbok and Impala would be my top three (fairly) reasonable ones. I might settle for just 4 and try for a Nyala if budget allowed.

01-Aug-16
Obviously personal choice and likes come into play-

I think my favorite animal I took was Red Hartebeest.

I passed on several Black Wildebeest because my dad was really into that. And Nyala was out of my price range as was Sable.

01-Aug-16
Zebra and gemsbok were my number one animals and were the hardest to get. But I added a black wildebeast, springbok, water buck and a kudu while I was there.

Go over with a few animals on your list, but I told myself when I left that I wasn't going to shoot a kudu or water buck...

I decided to take any animal that got my PH excited. The only time I didn't listen to him was with a stud of a impala that was at 10 yards feeding, but I was on day 7 or something and still had not had a shot at a zebra and they were feeding just out of bow range.

Just enjoy the the sights and take what Africa gives you!

01-Aug-16
Kudu, gemsbok, blue wildebeest, Impala and warthog. Those 5 were on my list last year and I took all 5 and an additional 2 impala rams.

I passed on an old mature Eland that I wish I would've taken and never got a chance at zebra or nyala. On the list for the next trip.

Set a budget and go have fun! Africa is awesome!

01-Aug-16
Kudu, Zebra or Nyala (or all three)!

01-Aug-16
....plus Gemsbok, Impala and warthog (that's six, but she'll be back!)

01-Aug-16
A kudu would no doubt be on my list. Otherwise I like Medicinemann's suggestion. Leave a spot open for one that strikes your eye while hunting.

01-Aug-16
Yhe first time I went I had a list. The second time no list was the best. They all look diff when you get there. Just set aside your budget and have fun. Time over there goes way to fast. The first time was 10 days. The second was 14. My third might be longer, maybe 21 Main thing is to slow down when there and take it all in. Things tend to happen to fast there. It will be over before you know it.

01-Aug-16
It won't matter, because you'll catch the disease just like the rest of us and you will go back again soon to get the rest of them!

01-Aug-16
I would take the first 5 shots I had at representative species of these animals.

Kudu Impala Zebra Blue Wildebeest Warthog Blesbok Red Hartebeest

01-Aug-16
All good responses, but a theme is emerging which you might want to pay attention to.

First, your planned hunt is relatively short by most African measures so you may not get to see all there is on that property including species you really want.

Second, picking five species to shoot seems easy but it will become apparent to you after talking with the PH and in the blind that there are a multitude of choices, some of which you had not considered before that may perk new interest and some of which may not be available at that location.

Third is quality of the trophy. Most hunters want a really nice representation of the species and PHs should be able to be give an accurate trophy assessment; but you should also do your homework online and become a judge yourself of what is good vs exceptional so you have a baseline understanding of each species before you go. SCI online records will many times have photos submitted for top 10 animals. Get to know your game as much as you can.

Fourth is attitude, If you are pressuring yourself on getting certain species it can diminish the fun you might otherwise have on the trip. Be more flexible on all of these choices an let the hunt go the way it's going to go. IMO, on a first timers 6 day trip it would be unwise to pass up on a good trophy which excites the PH. Opportunities may be fleeting for such trophy animals on their property and the PH should well know this. In general on most concessions, shooting an impala or warthog should be easier than finding a Gemsbok. Kudu are usually plentiful as are blue wildebeest, waterbuck and blesbok. Remember each place can be a bit different, some having more of one species than another and/or a signature species which neighboring operations do not have. Ask them what are most prevalent and this might help narrow your list.

Fifth, fill your time in the blind with rich memories of all things. The bird life is unreal and more numerous than you might imagine, odd critters that you have never seen may show up anytime so bring video and a good telephoto camera to capture all of it to relive later. Keeping engaged with filming all of these events will fill most of the time voids while waiting for your targeted game.

It's all about having a great experience and I can assure you after this first trip you will be planning to go back. So, there will likely be more opportunities for getting those desired species you do not find on the first go around.

Good luck to you both and have a blast with your Dad.

01-Aug-16
Well it sounds like you have the list that you know you want. Why not leave it open and see what shows that inspires you to shoot, leave a little surprise in the hunt. If you need to declare what your going for a nice kudo make a fine trophy and I think a wildebeest is always nice and it says Africa. What's your fathers list?

01-Aug-16
Blue Wildebeest, Kudu, Gemsbok, warthog, impala and Zebra Sorry to pick 6, but hard to leave any of these out Hope you have luck and could bring all of them close to your blind

01-Aug-16
Blue wildebeest, zebra, impala, kudu and gemsbok.. warthog and bush pigs would be add ons not primary targets for me. If I had enough cash and wall space I would also add Eland.

01-Aug-16
Depends on the area you are hunting and what animals are available in that area.

Second, it depends on the quality animal that you are pursuing: anything, good representation of the species or a trophy book quality.

Boddington states that the normal hunt yields 1 animal per 1 1/2 days of hunting.

If you take 5 annals in 6 days you had one awesome hunt.

Best of luck on your hunt.

01-Aug-16
AZ-Rich,

We are bringing more camera equipment than you could imagine! We will video every aspect of the hunt so I hope to have some great footage to share after i return.

I have been thinking long and hard about a zebra but i think that may push my wife a little to far! My next choice would be a Kudu but that is a $2,500 animal that turns into a $3,500 mount!

I am excited to go and will most likely just take a few other quality animals that present opportunity.

Thanks

01-Aug-16

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Garrett,

I love euro mounts and have limited room space and a pocket book. This photo is a suggestion on how you can save some money on mounts. The kudus are my latest from 2015 hunt. My two smaller kudus were relocated to a garage wall. Also is a zebra that I collected on the same hunt. Rest assured that I do not have $3500 in taxidermy fees for these 3 animals, nor the entire "Ton of Fun" wall for that matter.

01-Aug-16
Kudu, red hartebeast, blue wildebeest, warthog, Impala.. In that order too..

01-Aug-16
Yeah, looking at the spreadsheet I did on our last trip, including the Dip & Pack, Shipping, Taxidermy, you can essentially go Twice if you only take photos!

I get a lot of enjoyment out of looking at the mounts and having that part of it, but the hunt and travel was approximately the same amount as the getting the animals home and mounted up on the wall. Roughly 50%.

My hope is to someday take my kids on Safari and pay for it like my father did for me...

01-Aug-16
For me it'd be a blue wildebeast, zebra, kudu, eland, and warthog. I realize time is of esscence. So, I'd settle for a zebra and an eland, then worry about the rest after getting those. So, I guess it'd be a zebra and eland. God Bless

01-Aug-16
Kudu, Bushbuck, Nyala, Eland and Zebra. If I ever go I'd have to hunt the spirals...I'd also rather have a Bush Pig instead of a Warthog. Just me though. Good luck and safe travels.

01-Aug-16
Depends on you...... I really need to go back for a big water buck but before being there and seeing one I had no idea how much I want one. (Like a huge deer on steroids)

01-Aug-16
Easy. Kudu, gemsbok, blue wildebeest, zebra, warthog.

01-Aug-16
Kudu and blue wildebeast would be my TOP two on the list!

01-Aug-16

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Definitely kudu.

Also, before I went last year, a waterbuck wasn't even on my radar, but for some reason they kinda grew on me. After seeing them in person, I'm glad I added one to my list. Turned out to be my favorite animal taken.

01-Aug-16

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
Be sure to have your camera, you can shoot everything that comes in. Some of them you later wish you had dropped the string instead of taking a photo op...

01-Aug-16

01-Aug-16

01-Aug-16
Been 4 times: AZ~Rich is on the money. Interestingly you will be turned on my animals types that others are not..or visa versa. Euro mounts are MUCH cheaper than full taxidermy, and unless you REALLY want a skin for a rug or pillow don't tan or process and ship the skins or the back skins. All those "other costs" add up to AT LEAST one more animal and sit on the shelf for years: I know this for a fact

01-Aug-16
Kudu and Zebra.

01-Aug-16
Kudu and zebra (or bushbuck)

02-Aug-16

I had a list of 5 and ended up shooting 8.

My wife did not want me to shoot a jiraffe or Zebra for some reason.

Suprisingly, I had a Duiker, and a Warthog come in and I just drew back and dropped them, both of which I had no intention of shooting before they were in front of me. I also had not planned to shoot a second Impala after having taken a spectacular one- over 26" on the first morning of our hunt, but as the light was fading on our last night a black-faced Impala was broadside, and well... $300 more.

6 days is fairly short- the more time you have the more likely you will see some of the things the property has to offer.

02-Aug-16

Toby's embedded Photo
Toby's embedded Photo

02-Aug-16

Toby's embedded Photo
Toby's embedded Photo

02-Aug-16

Toby's embedded Photo
Toby's embedded Photo

02-Aug-16

Toby's embedded Photo
Toby's embedded Photo

02-Aug-16

Toby's embedded Photo
Toby's embedded Photo

02-Aug-16
My 2017 top 5 is kudu, warthog, steenbuck, red hartebeest, and impala. No trip is complete without a good warthog or 3.

02-Aug-16
I can see everyone has decided that a Cecil would get you divorced, hung in effigy (hopefully not in fact) etc. Is there anything more dramatic on a wall though?

02-Aug-16
My bucket list went out the window the first day. Ended up with my zebra, and one for the wife. Yep, 2, her idea. Didn't know for sure what a waterbuck was until Reon looked at my pictures a said, That's a big one! Also took a nice Impala, beautiful kudu and huge blue wildebeest. Next trip I'll get my gemsbuck and whatever else Africa offers up. Be open minded and willing to take what she gives you. Oh ya, 3 baboons. Probably the hardest thing to get drawn on.

03-Aug-16
Kudu and Blue Wildebeest. Zebra would be #6, Black Wildebeest #7, Springbok #8, Eland #9 and Nyala Bull #10

That is what's so great about Africa, so many choices in species.

Good luck with your Safari and Good Hunting!

03-Aug-16

Several of the species I could have shot I did not since my dad already had mounts of them-

15-Sep-16

Bud Meadows's embedded Photo
#1 for me, at least in Namibia is Gemsbok. The place I hunt only charges $725 for Gemsbok vs $1200 for Kudu.

Here's my 2015 Gemsbok

15-Sep-16

#2 is Kudu. Here's my 2015 kudu:

15-Sep-16

#3 is Warthog. Here's the 2015 version:

15-Sep-16

15-Sep-16
#4 and #5 would be baboons and jackels. My PH doesn't charge me for them, as he considers them pests.

15-Sep-16
Garrett,

If you know how much money you have to spend you should look at the price list to help you make up your mind.

I sure like my zebra (picture that MathewsMan put up) and the Red Hartebeast would be the other two that I would arrow but that is up to you.

16-Sep-16
I shot ten animals [two warthogs} and really wish I could have gotten a bushbuck. That would be top of my list now. I would also set aside at least two days just for baboons.

16-Sep-16
Wish list? Here's what I recommend. Carefully consider how much you can afford, set a budget and make your list.

When you start hunting, throw your list away and let the arrows fly! You can worry about how you're going to pay for it later. I shot way past my budget.

Waterbuck was not on my list. When my PH said "three waterbuck coming in, all shooters", waterbuck was immediately upgraded to my list.

If I had to pick 5 animals, they would be impala, gemsbok, kudu, blue wildebeest and zebra.

Decide on a few must haves and keep an open mind. You'll quickly learn how difficult it is to pass on species that weren't initially on your list.

• Sitka Gear