bad karma 03-Aug-16
INbowdude 04-Aug-16
INbowdude 06-Aug-16
INbowdude 06-Aug-16
writer 07-Aug-16
Worthless 07-Aug-16
01-Aug-16
10:04 AM LIVE from Ok*
It may be the dog days of summer, but down at Shiloh Ranch it's the hog days of summer.

I'm down here with 3 others friends to brave triple digit temps (heat index) for the chance to procure some pork. Nobody has hunted the ranch for 3 weeks so the hogs should have no clue what's about to happen!

Happy Hogust 1st!

01-Aug-16
And here we go again:) Have fun!

01-Aug-16
YES!!!!!

01-Aug-16
11:04 AM LIVE from Ok*
Orientation and paperwork coming up.

Feels great to be back even in hot temps.

Shot a little in camp just to loosen up. I feel broadside hogs in my future. Now, which stand to hunt?

01-Aug-16

01-Aug-16
Don't kill or spook them all! My friend, our wives and I will be down there Friday. Keep us posted on your Hogust hunt! It will help me make it through the next 4 days.

01-Aug-16
Orientation............???????

You?????????????

Isn't that like explaining to Michael Jordan where the aim the basketball?

Heck you know every hog on the property by name and have been watching them since they were piglets Mike. Is there a tree on the place you have not sat in?

01-Aug-16
2:54 PM LIVE from Ok*
Orientation, done. Stands selected, done. Power nap until 4 then it's off to stand 7.

01-Aug-16
2:57 PM LIVE from Ok*
Bou, lol. I have killed hogs at all the stands plus many by spot and stalk away from the feeders. Still feel like I'm learning this place and the pigs.

01-Aug-16
Now that was funny 'Bou!! I'm sure he has seen many generations of hogs come and go down there.

01-Aug-16
5:10 PM LIVE from Ok*
Out to #7. A delightful walk in the 99 degree heat, heat index says 106. Feels like I am antelope hunting in the woods. Jumped 3 hogs at stand 5 and a half dozen at stand #7, where I am tonight. Clear skies, swirling winds. Stay thirsty my friends, I know I am.

01-Aug-16
5:21 PM LIVE from Ok*
Feeder just went off!

Dang that always startles me. C'mon hogs!

01-Aug-16
5:29 PM LIVE from Ok*
Wind swirled and blew out the first hog in. It was only 6 yards away but on the wrong side of the big cedar tree my tripod is up against. More hogs grunting to the south. Gotta go.

01-Aug-16
5:40 PM LIVE from Ok*
All quiet now. Time to be patient.

01-Aug-16
5:51 PM LIVE from Ok*
Single black boar in. Very skittish.

01-Aug-16
5:52 PM LIVE from Ok*
Dang it, he winds me too!

01-Aug-16
6:10 PM LIVE from Ok*
12 hogs in, various sizes, nothing huge. Resolve crumbling.

01-Aug-16
6:16 PM LIVE from Ok*
12 in various size so nothing huge. Resolve crumbling.

01-Aug-16
6:17 PM LIVE from Ok*
Well the two I would have shot never gave me a good look. Finally, the wind gave me away.

01-Aug-16
6:28 PM LIVE from Ok*
My buddy Bruce, scores the first hog tonight at 1A.

01-Aug-16
6:40 PM LIVE from Ok*
Wind is starting to die down. 2 hours to go.

01-Aug-16
7:25 PM LIVE from Ok*
It has gone dead quiet for the last hour. Nobody has seen or heard a pig. Even the birds are skittish.

01-Aug-16
7:50 PM LIVE from Ok*
Still quiet. Sun is below the treetops now. Should be prime time.

01-Aug-16
8:06 PM LIVE from Ok*
Pig grunting about 30 yards away. Must have my scent. Smart critters sometimes.

01-Aug-16
8:28 PM LIVE from Ok*
1 hog in but way too skinny. Holding off, but it is difficult.

01-Aug-16
9:45 PM LIVE from Ok*
And so the night ended with only 1 hog taken. I had opportunities but just not the right hog. Will try is again in the morning.

01-Aug-16
Good job Bruce! Not very often someone shoots before inbowdude.

02-Aug-16
You can say that again Boothill! I can't remember the last time we went over to camp and Mike wasn't skinning a hog!

02-Aug-16
5:21 AM LIVE from Ok*
5 am and 2 of us are ready to get back at it. 75 degrees and a SW wind. Game on piggies!

02-Aug-16
6:05 AM LIVE from Ok*
In the tripod at 7. Wind is swirly again. We shall see. Damn feeder just scared me!

02-Aug-16
6:27 AM LIVE from Ok*
Hogs still south but won't commit yet. Waiting game.

02-Aug-16
6:32 AM LIVE from Ok*
Finally. First pig spotted. But not coming in yet. The wait continues.

02-Aug-16
6:51 AM LIVE from Ok*
Changed tactics at went to the ground blind. First group in was very skittish and stayed on the far side of the feeder. 25 yards away but very jumpy. Only cruised by for 20 seconds or so.

02-Aug-16
7:48 AM LIVE from Ok*
Wind has died and so has the action. Maybe tonight.

02-Aug-16
Man two sits at 7 and no shots fired that is surprising. Keep at it loving the updates!!!

02-Aug-16
Pull the traditional Hunt4life tactic and shoot one on the way back to camp this morning. I agree KSBOW, 2 sits at #7 for INbowdude and he hasn't dropped the string yet? Very strange...

02-Aug-16
According to official records released by the Trump campaign this is your 187th hunt at Shiloh and you have had 498 feeders go off and YOU ARE STILL SCARED BY THEM! Good luck the rest of the hunt.

02-Aug-16
Always good advise from boothilll! That keeps you away from feeders and jumping when they go off!

02-Aug-16

02-Aug-16
Must be getting picky in his old age. You weren't shooting in camp in your tights again were you?

02-Aug-16
11:11 AM LIVE from Ok*
Nadda. Back at camp. Will try it again tonight.

02-Aug-16
There are three absolutes in the world of bowhunting:

1) No game is tougher to kill than an Alabama turkey

2) It's more fun hunting with our kids than for them

3) When Mike goes to Shiloh he will kill at least one hog

02-Aug-16
I would hate to be a 50 pounder at his stand tonight. The king of pork is going to strike tonight . Hunt

02-Aug-16
3:50 PM LIVE from Ok*
I went for a little look-see by the creek and saw about a dozen hogs scattered about. They saw me a lot sooner than I saw them. I'm headed to 2 tonight. Triple digits now. Yes, anything broadside is fair game tonight! I think the Trump campaign has the right numbers on those sits.

02-Aug-16
5:23 PM LIVE from Ok*
Safely up in the ladder at 2. Wind still swirling but mostly east and south-southwest . Saw one group of 4 and later a single on the way out. Hunters at 5 and 4 also. Time to make something happen!

02-Aug-16
5:49 PM LIVE from Ok*
Anybody need a big merino ram? 12 yards away, curl and 1/2. Maybe a whitetail doe? Perhaps I could tempt you with a trio of grey squirrels? Holding out for hogs!

02-Aug-16
Only a trio of squirrels? It will happen and soon I bet. Those Temps and the pond close by they will be there.

02-Aug-16
7:28 PM LIVE from Ok*
Just really slow right now. About an hour of good light left. Nobody is reporting any hog sightings yet. Maybe it will all come in a big rush at the end?

02-Aug-16
7:56 PM LIVE from Ok*
Finally some grunts but towards stand 3.

02-Aug-16
Get 'em, Mike! It sure is hard to beat their noses when it's that darn warm! Keep us posted and tell the Nappers the Fulton family says hello! They were thick in the area of 1A when we were there a month ago....

02-Aug-16
8:21 PM LIVE from Ok*
Losing daylight. It's now or never piggies! Still 90 degrees out.

02-Aug-16
9:14 PM LIVE from Ok*
I feel like Pat Lefemine. Last 15 minutes of light 15 hogs come in and spook. A few minutes later they are back and I'm looking for the first clear broadside shot. 30 seconds later, I get the opportunity. Hogs scatter in all directions and a few seconds later I thought I heard a crash. Got down to check the blood and it did not look good. Didn't see my arrow either. Start tracking and it still looks like muscle. Sent a text to Matt to fill him in. By this time my buddy Bruce and his wife come up from 4. I show Andi the blood trail and she takes off and keeps on it. I still think it's shoulder but then the trail opens up to a solid line of drips. Now I feel we will get this pig. Thanks for helping track Andi! 50 yards later, dead pig.

02-Aug-16
Awesome! Pics? Trying to get my wife on her first ever big game critter down there this weekend, if you have any tips for Shiloh hogs you want to share shoot me a PM (in other words help me keep the wife happy, please).

02-Aug-16
Awesome! Pics? Trying to get my wife on her first ever big game critter down there this weekend, if you have any tips for Shiloh hogs you want to share shoot me a PM (in other words help me keep the wife happy, please).

02-Aug-16
Excellent news Mike... Was worried you might get skunked for a bit. Not really sure why I should worried though.

03-Aug-16
10:49 AM LIVE from Ok*
Boothill, I was getting a bit worried myself. I would have gone out this morning if I needed it.

03-Aug-16
Driving back to Indiana now. Always bittersweet to leave such great friends as the Nappers but I know I'll be there in February (unless anybody has room for another hunter? No? Just checking)

I've hunted in 11 of 12 months at Shiloh and this was one of the more frustrating and challenging hunts I've had.

Still, if you like the heat, the pigs are out there just waiting on ya.

Worthless, we left a whole bunch of hogs for you and your party. Good luck and let us know how you did.

03-Aug-16
Note to self: If I'm going to hunt hogs at Shiloh and it's over 90 degrees, spend the extra $25 per night and stay in the house!

03-Aug-16

INbowdude's embedded Photo
Back to my home away from home. I think I might qualify for Oklahoma residency soon.

03-Aug-16

First night group at 7. The biggest ones kept the feeder between it and my stand. Smart move, it saved their lives from a weak man.

03-Aug-16

My confidence decoy.

03-Aug-16

Good thing I already have one of these otherwise, I'd have had to let the arrow slip! Hard to line up the sights with the cell phone.

03-Aug-16

Finally got to skin one! Not huge, but I'm a weak man and it did go broadside.

03-Aug-16
congratulations and thanks for the running updates.

So, how big was he? Or did you not bother with the scale? Looks like it's pretty good size-wise.

When we were down there three and a half weeks ago, Dad had that ram out in front of him too. I don't recall now if it was before or after he got his pig, but he did say it was awful tempting, too.

03-Aug-16
He looks pretty good. I know a guy that could photoshop that hog until he looks like about 800 lbs. :)

Nice work.

03-Aug-16
Well we all know the camera adds 10 pounds right? Actually didn't put him on the scale as it was so hot and I just wanted to get the hog broken down and in the cooler as quickly as possible. I would say less than 100 pounds.

Bad Karma, I could use some of that photo shop magic on this boar.

03-Aug-16
Hey, what does this make, number 50 at Shiloh?

We need to hunt together again.

04-Aug-16
Bad Karma, Great question and I think you are about right, maybe a bit more.

Yes, would love to share camp with you again.

06-Aug-16

It was hot.

How hot was it?

So hot even the fire ants went in during the heat of the day!

06-Aug-16

Classic razor back. Tall hog, just needs a bit of filling out. He will be a nice boar in the fall or winter.

07-Aug-16
Can be a tough time to hunt.

Four of us did the first few days of August a few years ago. We killed a total of one, and a kid missed another. Several sits people didn't see hogs.

Good news is you found your hog. Bad news is you found it without Kai.

I really need to get back to watch that pup in action.

Thanks for the tag-along.

07-Aug-16
We just got back from Shiloh. Kai is awesome. But she gave us all a scare when she got heat sick Saturday AM. Thankfully, Cheryl was on top of it fast. Last we heard she was doing well.

• Sitka Gear