odoylerules 03-Aug-16
4blade 03-Aug-16
HuntEasy 04-Aug-16
Bigdan 04-Aug-16
odoylerules 04-Aug-16
03-Aug-16

odoylerules's embedded Photo
odoylerules's embedded Photo
I live in Oregon and I'm planning on going with some friends to NV next year (2017) for an early season archery mule hunt. I have 3 points, my buddy has 1. I want a backcountry, DIY hunt. We're both very experienced and successful backcountry archery elk hunters, but this will be our first Mule deer trip. I'm obviously a year away, but am extremely thorough and meticulous in my planning, and want to start my research and Google earth scouting now. My first thoughts are of the Ruby mountains, and Arc Dome wilderness areas. Does anyone have any advice about the hunt, or other areas of the state I should consider? I can offer advice about OR hunts of course, and I drew my first out of state hunt last season-NM unit 36. I killed a great bull and would be happy to help if you happen to be lucky enough to draw that area in return. Please feel free to PM me if preferred, Thanks in advance

03-Aug-16
I have drawn/hunted 1st choice bow mulies twice in Nv and drew a 3rd choice muzzy mulie one year.

All your choices count so be sure and only put in for what ya want---unit and weapon of choice.

I personally do not think ya need 'wilderness' to have a very remote and exciting hunt in Nv. for mulies.

When you see road signs that say Next Services 90 miles----you have plenty of remote country!! haha

Something to consider is do you want to hunt another species in Nv. in the future?

Maybe get to know the unit better for multiple species as you continue to apply and draw --- like elk or Antelope---

Good luck, Robb

03-Aug-16
The Rubies haven't sold out in the past couple years. You can put the tag as your 5th choice or buy it as a leftover since the resident hunters don't fill their quota.

There's a lot of great tags in NV. You should be putting in for 5 choices if you plan to hunt, even if you're going to go with a sure thing.

There are people who will disagree with me, but the Rubies aren't what they were several years ago. There's almost 800 archery tags given out in the Rubies now. Sure, you can pack in or access points that are really far from the typical hike-in points and see better deer, but IMO, there's too many archery tags in the unit and from what I've researched, trophy quality is taking a hit. I will not devote a week or two to a unit with that many hunters when I'm relying on spot-and-stalk hunting.

It'd be an incredible hunt either way, but personally, since there's really only a window for one archery mule deer pack-in hunt per year, I'm not interested in hunting the Rubies since I can hunt a better tag in CO every-other-year and fill in the off years with any number of good mule deer hunts around the country or use late August for Columbia/Sitka blacktail hunts and save my NV points for one of the many epic hunts that the state offers.

The tough thing to do in a state that uses a bonus point system, is to wait until the draw is out to plan your hunt, especially with a late draw-date state with an early season, like NV. The easy thing to do is to just say, "I'm going to go with the sure thing and plan my hunt." IMO, you're going to sacrifice the quality of the hunt if you do that.

If you really want to have a great hunt, you'll spend the next 6 months doing your research looking into where people are actually killing big bucks in back-country DIY hunts. If you just want a back country DIY experience, you'll find it in the Rubies. But you'll also find 700 other guys that are looking for the same thing and eating tag soup, with the remainder killing 2.5 to 3.5 year old bucks and a tiny minority killing nice bucks. Do you really want to hike 5-10 miles into the wilderness to kill a 2.5 year old deer?

03-Aug-16
You guys make some great points. The biggest thing I like about NV is how early the season is. I can go hunt for 10-14 days, come home for a few weeks, then still hunt elk in September. The "wilderness" thing isn't a must, I just want to get away from people and am not afraid to work for it. You're right, It's hard to plan ahead for NV! You put in for what you hope to draw, but then plan for the sure thing. If you're lucky enough to draw something good, you get blasted on here asking for help..."why would you put in for a unit you don't know anything about!" Anyway, I worry it's not worth blowing 3 points for hunts like Arc Dome or the Ruby's. I do like the thought of learning some country that could be a possible elk hunt someday too. Although the premier elk units don't seem to be the typical open and glassable country one would like for a spot and stalk muley hunt. What to do...what to do

03-Aug-16
what about Jarbidge wilderness in area 7?

04-Aug-16
For a guy that has hunted the Rubys drop camp in 13',14', I can say the unit still holds some nice 26" 4x4 bucks. The country is rugged and extremely scenic. If you want remote, then do a drop camp 10 miles deep, you should get a decent quality hunt. I recommend going the opening week for best success. Maybe the Jarbridge would be better due to less pressure, I am not sure, I haven't hunted there but would like to.... Did I mentioned the Rubys cut tags considerably this year, both my buddies didn't draw this year, for the first time in years, due to the cuts (yes, they put in for 1st and 2nd draw ). Maybe the Rubys will be a good option for you next year but a packer is key.

04-Aug-16
I have 9 points and have not been able to draw the tag I want but I only apply for one unit and i will try until I draw or die If I ever draw it I mite try another unit

04-Aug-16
Anyone ever spend any time in, or hear anything about the 161-164 and 171-173 areas? PM's preferred please

• Sitka Gear