Michael Schwister 05-Aug-16
Surfbow 05-Aug-16
Kat Daddy 01-Dec-16
76aggie 02-Dec-16
Michael Schwister 02-Dec-16
GotBowAz 02-Dec-16
76aggie 02-Dec-16
05-Aug-16
Just ordered a Seek Outside redcliff heated package with screen doors, half liner, and large stove. For those who have them, any advice for a new owner? I am replacing an 50 year old surplus army squad tent.

05-Aug-16

Surfbow's embedded Photo
Surfbow's embedded Photo
Those tents are awesome! I got to borrow a Red Cliff this spring, can't wait to pick one up for myself. If you're worried about ground moisture take a piece of tyvek or a lightweight tarp. The stoves work great in the tipi tents though and the ground should dry out pretty fast. Setting up works well if you only stake out four corners before putting the center pole up, then do the rest of the stakes after that...

01-Dec-16
Anyone spend some time in on of these this fall?

02-Dec-16
If you surf the net, there is a ton of information about these types of tipis or hybrid tepis as well as comparisons between brands. I was under the impression that SO and Kifaru were about the only manufactures but there are several more. From what I can read, Kifaru seems to have the "name" but I have also read nothing negative about SO at all. SO seems to be a tad less expensive and have the sod skirt. I think that one of our posters said they had a Kifaru that had a sod skirt put into his Sawtooth. I called them and asked if they would sew one in for me and the response was negative. I will be pulling the trigger on one shortly and was initially going with the Kifaru Sawtooth. It is now a tossup for me between the Redcliff and the Four Man Tipi from SO. Tending to go with the 4 Man as SO tells me it will withstand wind a little better than the Redcliff. I want to get the screens, full liner and the stove. I cannot figure out the half liner route. Sorry, I cannot give you my personal recommendations just jet. But, like I said, there is a ton of conversation out there on the web and on this site as well. I asked some questions on recommendations for a Kifaru s few weeks ago and got some excellent responses from some of our posters on this site and even saw similar postings on other site. I think you will be happy with your purchase.

02-Dec-16
Well, I got it and spent 2 weeks in it in Colorado in many types of weather. There is much to learn when first getting into them. First, it is very stable and easy to setup. Best method is to pin the four "corners" first and put up the pole, then do the other base pegs, then lastly the guy outs. I ended up getting extra pegs and the second liner. Half liner does one half. It is very stable, easy to setup, and weather proof. It was unaffected by 50 mph winds. For gear and a stove 3 people is about right, it will sleep 6, but not with a stove and cots. Total weight is like 9 lbs total including stove, which is great, but it is a bit minimalist, but something that can be carried deep into the wilderness for a group hunt (or even solo). If you want to lounge as a group inside your tent I would recommend an 8 man tipi. I like the SO a little better than Kifaru because of the sod skirt and guys outs. The redcliffe has low sidewalls and standing space is really 2 people max.

02-Dec-16
Good review Micheal, Im thinking about going this rout as well. How was the efficiency of the stove and did you use pellets or only firewood?

02-Dec-16
Good deal Michael. How do the liners tie in to the tent? Looks from the pics I have seen that they literally "tie in" with cords on the liners and the inside walls of the actual tent. Is this correct?

• Sitka Gear