Treeline 10-Aug-16
fubar racin 10-Aug-16
EmbryOklahoma 10-Aug-16
Treeline 10-Aug-16
EmbryOklahoma 10-Aug-16
Treeline 10-Aug-16
EmbryOklahoma 10-Aug-16
09-Aug-16
My wife and myself are about two weeks out from heading up the mountain on our first Mule deer hunt. Using all you veterans as a sounding board... what are some things you will not leave home without. Besides all of the usual stuff. Maybe something you've got to camp and wished you would have brought with you?

Also... Since we will be base camping, I'm looking for ideas on camp shower and camp cooking covers you've used. (Tarps, etc) Surely some of you guys that hit the high country have some pics stored up in your vault. Basically, I'm making small talk about hunting with all of you guys. :)

Thanks!

09-Aug-16
I love my crooked creek chair for glassing and mid day naps. Trekking poles are a must . You guys are in for a real treat! Enjoy the whole experience of the High country ! Hunt

09-Aug-16
Above timberline hunt?........small tube of sun screen with high spf. Amazing how sun-burned one's ears and face can get above 11,000'.

09-Aug-16
Thanks, Hunt! I am thinking of getting some trekking poles. We are looking forward to the hunt, for sure.

Roy... That's a good point! Hoping to zig and zag within the treeline to intercept some animals. But, I'm sure there will be times when we will be glassing from an unshaded point.

09-Aug-16
I hunt a lot of waterless country and like to bathe.

Take an empty 3 quart of so laundry detergent bottle, cut the pour portion of the spout out so it fills easily.

Drill 8-9 1/8"holes in half the cap. With this you can start at your head, work down and still have water left after a top to bottom clean.

It's important not to drill both halves of the cap or the water comes too quickly.

09-Aug-16

LUNG$HOT's Link
Here's what I picked up last year and I love it! Fairly inexpensive for the luxury of a hot shower at base camp after a few days of sweating your arse off. Bring blister pads or "moleskin" as well if you don't already have it on the list. Keep your feet healthy and you'll be happy.

09-Aug-16
Qtips, nail clippers and baby wipes.

Have fun and post pictures when you return.

Mike

09-Aug-16
chapstick, tp, first aid kit. energy bars, water purifier. Drink plenty of fluids, and sodium.

09-Aug-16
I never leave home without muscle relaxers and pain killers

Also always have spare contacts and a small mirror in my pack in case I lose a contact while in the field

Extra release is an absolute must!

Throw in a broadhead target if you have room in the rig. Handy to check zero if you bump your bow and worry about it.

Other than that, I'm as curious as you are. I'm not much of a camper, and add something every year to make truck camping a little more comfortable

I promised myself a toilet and a shower this year for camp, but I bought a new truck instead :) If more packages show up at the house, my wife may divorce me :)

09-Aug-16
Ditto Roy. I'm a reasonably tan guy who spends a fair amount of time out in the yard throughout the summer sans shirt. I was amazed at how quick the sun at 11-12k will burn in comparison to where I live.

09-Aug-16
Tripod mount for your binoculars is vital to picking up game over the next ridge.

09-Aug-16
LKH, that might be something I could make there! Might use it song with our "heat from the sun", shower.

Lungshot... Moleskin and duct tape will be in the pack.

Bake... Got most of that. Target is coming with us. Release is in pack. Something tells me Lana might have a muscle relaxer. If not Colorado has a bunch of stores that sell "relaxers". :)

Aubs.. Got all of that. I will surely post pics upon returning. Hopefully my wife gets one. I'd be more happy if that happened.

Sivart... Chapstick is my go to when people ask "things to never forget", threads. I'll have a a 4 pack of the black original. Maybe I should pick up some water purification tablets?

Franzen... I am pretty white. I'll have some on my ears and neck.

COLO-3D... Never thought of that. I don't have a spotting scope but we do have decent 10x42s. Hmmm?

09-Aug-16
Wash rag and hand towel.

6x8 foot tarp. Uses: Water collection, shade, surface for processing your animal, extra rain protection over your tent when it comes down in buckets, goes on faster than rain gear in case of intermittent deluges, etc etc.

09-Aug-16
Broad spectrum SPF 50 unscented sunscreen/lip balm stick. We used a 4 gal solar shower placed on the hood of the SUV for mid day showers, but have replaced it with a Zodi propane shower and a 1/2" EMT DIY shower stall/curtain for all day showers. Also a doubled plastic bag lined 5 gal bucket with a toilet seat. Life is good in elk camp.

09-Aug-16
tweezers, bandaids, ace bandage, duct tape & magnifying glass.

09-Aug-16
For showers we use an RV water pump and a 50 gal. barrel, on demand portable propane water heater and a 12 volt car battery ---- life is wonderful

09-Aug-16

TX Cazador's embedded Photo
TX Cazador's embedded Photo
For showers we use an RV water pump and a 50 gal. barrel, on demand portable propane water heater and a 12 volt car battery ---- life is wonderful

09-Aug-16
TX Caz... I'd like to have all that stuff at camp, but where I'm going you can't get a trailer up there. I needed all my extra space for ice chests to hold all the meat in. :)

I do like your camp set up, although.

09-Aug-16
I've tried a number of different shower set ups. The simplest I've found is a standard 2 gallon garden sprayer with a hand pump. I switched the wand sprayer with a kitchen sink spray nozzle. We hgveat water on the stove to fill the sprayer. It gives a great shower and fairly conservative on water usage.

09-Aug-16
Oh see what you did there, Buffalo1... You purposely put those other three suggestions in between "tweezers" and "magnifying glass". That's real funny, Greg. :)

Whip, that's most likely what we will do. That could be an option as well. Thanks!

10-Aug-16
My bow and arrows with sharp broadheads!:)

Been hunting the mountains of CO, NM, AZ, UT, WY, NV, and Alaska for over 30 years and just bought a shower setup this year at the wife's insistence... Will certainly use it at a base camp. Have used scent free wipes/towels for years and they work great.

A tripod is a huge help, even with lower powered optics. Find a way to set up your binos in a harness to use the tripod. A high-end carbon fiber one with a good smooth pan head that I can stand behind has become a staple. I don't go up the mountain without my 10's and spotting scope for mule deer. The 15's are at the truck and sometimes carried as well. You can't kill what you can't see.

A good backpack that you can load up with your camping gear and expand to handle the meat packing. I am liking the big Kuiu 7200 cu in bag these days. Can cinch it down for day hikes and open it up for meat.

A good set of game bags.

Sharp knife. Currently liking the replaceable blade ones from Havalon for packing. Very nice...

Sunscreen and lip balm with sunscreen. Above treeline the sun will kill you if you are not covered up and using good sunscreen.

A hat with a brim that will keep the sun off my ears.

Merino wool long-johns. Amazing base layer stuff that will help you stay warm (and possibly alive) when it gets nasty and will not overheat you during the day at high elevation. Also like a wool vest. Love wool in the high country top to bottom for warmth and quiet on the stalk. Cotton and poly will kill you up there.

Rain gear. Not only for rain, but it will hold the heat in if the temps drop. Packable stuff is great - keep it with you because it may save your life.

A space blanket. Another thing that will really help for an overnight. Keep it with you.

Small first aid kit. Those steri-strip things are really neat and I have added some of that clotting agent to my pack. Worst injuries I have ever seen in the hills have been from bad cuts with knives and broad heads. Really sucks to be miles from the nearest road and bleeding like hell with limited options for getting it to stop.

I keep a lighter and matches in my pack but have never needed to start a fire when hunting except at camp. If you have good clothes you can spend a night on the hill away from camp if you need to.

Filter straw. Not sure what the brand is - picked several up at the CBA Jamboree several years ago. Can probably find them at an Army Surplus store. Nifty little filter straw that you can use to suck some water out of a little puddle without worrying about getting sick. Been drinking water in the mountains most of my life just out of seeps and springs but this will keep you from getting a bad case of the trots.

Good luck!!!!

10-Aug-16
PS - Have only hunted out of a big base camp a couple of times. Nice, but a long way from critters. Usually sleeping under a small tarp or in a bivy in a small flat spot somewhere closer to the critters.

10-Aug-16
X2 on the clotting agent I ended up with a magnus through my tricept on my last archery elk hunt.

10-Aug-16
More good info! Thanks Tavis. I believe we have most of the stuff you mentioned except a spotting scope and a filter straw. That might be an option instead of tablets. Your thoughts?

As far as hunting from a base camp... Well, that's just the cards we/myself dealt out. Gonna play them best we can out of a base camp. I really want my wife to be successful and have a good time. I don't feel she can handle a bivy type hunt. Personally, I could and will do it someday. She knows it too. Maybe in a couple years, I'll strike out for a bigger and better unit and do a spike camp. I still think we can be successful under the base camp conditions. Will have to deal with some weekend hunters and some hikers, etc. We look forward to giving it our all for 7-9 days.

My only "unknowing", is how to preserve the meat, cape and antlers. Those concerns are what we spoke of in our emails, Tavis. I appreciate all the advice and pointers.

Now... I think I'll buy some hammocks for relaxing after we kill. :)

10-Aug-16
Ask around about a spotting scope. You might be able to borrow one from a buddy near home for your hunt. I know I have loaned out my optics a number of times for guys chasing sheep or deer in the high country.

If you are set up with a good base camp, you should bring water up with you to ensure that you have plenty at camp and fill water bottles for the day. The straw is just insurance in case you get in a bad place.

If you still have concerns about preservation of meat, cape and antlers - do a you-tube search and see what you can come up with and learn. You can save a lot of weight by losing the bones.

10-Aug-16
Tavis... Yea, the straw was a backup in case of getting in a pickle.

I'll do some searched my around for a spotting scope. Funny enough, I have been searched my out YouTube videos. Just watched caping and deboning a mule deer. I need to find one that shows the care of the velvet for prolonged time afield. Let's say we kill something day 1 or 2. In higher temps (highs in low 80s), even in the shade, how long can I leave the antlers with velvet lying around? Those are my concerns. The cape and meat, I'll do as you suggested... Dry ice and the extra cooler to freeze them.

10-Aug-16
Look up preservation of velvet antlers. Should be lots of options.

Not a fan of formaldehyde.

Hanging them upside down with the tips sliced to drip out and rubbing them down with borax should be adequate.

If you have room in your cooler, put the rack in there with the meat and dry ice. Doubt that you will see 80 up in the high country. Velvet will keep if you keep it out of the sun in the shade and where air flow is good around them.

10-Aug-16
That's a simple enough plan righ there, borax, split the tips and hang. That at least gives me an idea. I really hope the antlers won't fit in my ice chest, although. ;)

• Sitka Gear