Toby 18-Aug-16
Toby 18-Aug-16
Toby 18-Aug-16
Toby 18-Aug-16
skinner creek 19-Aug-16
16-Aug-16

Mtgoat's embedded Photo
Mtgoat's embedded Photo
I went on a mountain lion hunt at the end of January between Meeker and Rifle, Colorado. I meant to post the pictures at the time, but forgot to do it.

I met the outfitter at the Denver Sportsman's show on a Saturday. Had a cranky grandson, so went back on Sunday and talked to him. Friday morning, I got a call from him. Saturday afternoon had the cat on the ground.

He was an old, battered warrior.

16-Aug-16

Mtgoat's embedded Photo
Mtgoat's embedded Photo
Second tree pic.

16-Aug-16

Mtgoat's embedded Photo
Mtgoat's embedded Photo
Look at the scars. Some were fresh. The one below his left eye just missed the eye.

16-Aug-16

Mtgoat's embedded Photo
Mtgoat's embedded Photo
A seasoned game warden told me that he'd never seen one that big.

It was a hard hunt in the sense that once the cat was treed, it took 2 hours hiking through hip-deep to knee-deep snow to get to him.

16-Aug-16
The outfitter was Quentin Smith of QRS Outdoor Specialties. All around good guy with an excellent team.

16-Aug-16

FullCryHounds's Link
That's a really nice Tom. Some of those cuts look fresh. Any chance you were able to weigh it? I've started carrying a small digital scale to the tree so we can weigh any cats we take. We treed this guy the last week of the season. Probably150 lbs or so. Let him go but should be able to identify him again with that broken canine.

16-Aug-16
Thats a huge tom - congrats! Are you doing a full body mount or rug?

16-Aug-16

FullCryHounds's embedded Photo
FullCryHounds's embedded Photo

16-Aug-16

Mtgoat's embedded Photo
Mtgoat's embedded Photo
Destroyer350 "Thats a huge tom - congrats! Are you doing a full body mount or rug?"

Thanks. You've asked the hard question. My trophy room is pretty full. Two years ago, I took a large lioness. I had her made into a rug. I had planned to drape it over the back of the sofa. It turns out that she is too big for that. So, she is taking up floor space that was really free anyway.

So, to answer your question, I think that I'm going to have to have the mountain lion mounted as a full body. The next hard question is which pose.

16-Aug-16

Mtgoat's embedded Photo
Mtgoat's embedded Photo
Destroyer350 "Thats a huge tom - congrats! Are you doing a full body mount or rug?"

Thanks. You've asked the hard question. My trophy room is pretty full. Two years ago, I took a large lioness. I had her made into a rug. I had planned to drape it over the back of the sofa. It turns out that she is too big for that. So, she is taking up floor space that was really free anyway.

So, to answer your question, I think that I'm going to have to have the mountain lion mounted as a full body. The next hard question is which pose.

16-Aug-16
Mt, that is a big, beautiful Tom. Congratulations ! Only a full body mount would do it justice, add on if you hafta.

16-Aug-16
FullCryHounds Date: 1

The link in your post is broken.

"Some of those cuts look fresh. Any chance you were able to weigh it?"

Yes, there were fresh cuts. Makes you wonder about the cat that would be willing to take on that big boy.

No scale, but the guesses in the field were 200 - 220 lbs. Afterward, the outfitter said he figured it was 210 lbs. The old guy who ran the hounds told that it was a "once-in-a-lifetime cat" Because of the snow, they had to quarter it to bring out the meat and hide.

When I took it to the taxidermist, it created a stir. Their "cat guy" (main guy for mounting cats and also hunts them) described it as a "helluva cat"

I've started carrying a small digital scale to the tree so we can weigh any cats we take. We treed this guy the last week of the season. Probably150 lbs or so. Let him go but should be able to identify him again with that broken canine.

16-Aug-16
drycreek "Mt, that is a big, beautiful Tom. Congratulations !" Thanks

"Only a full body mount would do it justice, add on if you hafta." I agree that it deserves a full body mount.

Well, we already did one addition, so we're about out of room for that. The only other option would be to move - and I can't afford the alimony that would result from that.

16-Aug-16
FullCryHounds I hit "Submit" to quick. I intended to add that that's a great picture that you got at the end of the season. If he's got the right genes and the weather cooperates, etc. he could become a bruiser.

16-Aug-16
It scored 14 10/16. I'm not sure that I complete faith in that number. It had been scored 2 twice before that and came in at 13 +. When I really questioned it, they had me sit down with an official measurer and he got the latest number.

In the end, regardless of my cat's score, I have never agreed with using skull size as the measurement of the carnivore's "size" Of course, I have a problem with record books overall - but don't get me started on that.

16-Aug-16
Beauty. Let's see he rest of the field photos of the cat

18-Aug-16

Toby's embedded Photo
Toby's embedded Photo

18-Aug-16

Toby's embedded Photo
Toby's embedded Photo

18-Aug-16
These are my 2 cats. I have full mount both

18-Aug-16
These are my 2 cats. I have full mount both

19-Aug-16
fantastic cat!!! I would suggest your guide take a scale with him I would say from experience the weight is a little off.

• Sitka Gear