TD 27-Aug-16
BTM 28-Aug-16
Kevin Dill 28-Aug-16
Bou'bound 28-Aug-16
Davy C 28-Aug-16
SBH 06-Sep-16
16-Aug-16

Dyjack's Link
Just saw this on bbc. An American on a black bear hunt in Alberta speared a black bear, and now there is some "outrage" over a legal act. What are your thoughts on this?

16-Aug-16
Stunt

16-Aug-16
Good hit, short trail, quick death. What's not to like?

Funny, all the outrage from anti's and them constantly screaming "... coward, leave your gun at home and hunt them on the ground, close range...!!!".

Guy does just that and now turns out they don't like that either. Just can't please some people.

There will be no charges because there were no laws broken. Politicians tripping over themselves to say the right thing. The Premier and current government of Alberta is ultra liberal and pretty much anti anything hunters would like.

16-Aug-16
"Funny, all the outrage from anti's and them constantly screaming "... coward, leave your gun at home and hunt them on the ground, close range...!!!"."

So true.

Even more ironic is all the death threats he's received. So... you're not ok with killing, so you threaten killing. That makes sense.

16-Aug-16
Guaranteed if hunters abandon this guy and let spear hunting be banned [planned for the fall] then bow hunting is next, starting with traditional. Chip, chip.

Anti's hate blood until they smell yours!!

16-Aug-16
If I don't have a problem with spearfishing then I can't with spear hunting....

16-Aug-16
Bet Tim Wells is watching how this plays out.

17-Aug-16
If its was Legal there would not be any charges.

17-Aug-16
There are a lot of things that are technically legal to do. That doesn't mean you'd be smart to video the act, revel in the outcome, and glorify the whole experience and then put it before the public. At least if you do...be prepared to handle the backlash.

17-Aug-16
X2 Kevin Dill

17-Aug-16
If it would of been a whitetail that he had speared probably people would not of said much they know the animal is going to be eaten. The non hunting public see bear hunting Lion hunting as a trophy hunt where the animal is only killed for the mount, the meat not used and that don't sit well with a lot of people. I was approached by one of my relatives from the city she questioned me about bear hunting if it was only a trophy hunt, I told her know no our hunters take the meat home and if some don't want it there is some locals that will take it. If it was just a trophy she was not fine with it but if we ate the meat she was fine with it. City people don't know what's going on just what they hear from the antis and a lot of that ain't the truth of what us hunters are about. Kevin Dill x 2

17-Aug-16
I agree with a couple of the points made in the posts above. You're never going to make anti's happy no matter what and two, while it's just a matter of semantics and context, I saw the video and frankly, for me it was barbaric and crude. Viewing it once was enough - I could not watch it again. And I'm a hunter.

I don't see how the guy could possibly face any charges but making a video of it and posting it was not a real bright thing to do. The anti's & libs are having a hey day with this. People need to start using their heads. We live in a different day and age.

Again, while bowhunting and spear hunting utilize similar utensils, the motives behind this guy's spearing of a bear seem distinctly different. His sole purpose was for his own primal satisfaction, especially in making a video of it and broadcasting it all over - not the beauty of a hunt and the hunted. Bowhunting engenders admiration for the hunted, NOT the hunter. I can see why it got people stirred up.

17-Aug-16
I'm afraid we, as hunters need to be very sensitive to what we share with the general public. We are in an information age where everything we do is scrutinized if we choose to make it available for public viewing. Back in the day, if a guy killed a bear with a spear, the only people that would have given a damn are other hunters and the response would have been positive, but splashing it all over the internet has done the opposite.

17-Aug-16
Why doe everyone need to post videos of their hunts nowadays?

17-Aug-16
There is no need for letting people hunt with spears even though a handful would like to do so. We don't let people hunt with assault rifles or grenedes even though a few would like to do so.

17-Aug-16
That's why I don't post pics, and I don't even bother trying to video anything.

If we want to preserve what we have we need to vote for the right people and shut the f up, go about our business and keep it to our selves.

All these jack asses on tv are not helping one bit.

17-Aug-16
As far as those bashing the guy for posting a video. So it's much better to hide in the shadows like we are ashamed of what we do?

17-Aug-16
"Why doe everyone need to post videos of their hunts nowadays?"

I ask myself that question on a regular basis. Haven't found the answer yet though. I suspect it's an ego thing.

17-Aug-16
Don't you guys know? If it's not posted on the internet it didn't happen!

17-Aug-16
No, it's best to hide in the shadows like we know what's good for us.

We stand firm and fight but we keep our business, OUR business, and the problem isn't us, it's the media, where we are not going to get a fair shake, we do not see objective, non bias reporting. Maybe one day, but right now, not even close.

17-Aug-16
Is posting a video of a hunt really any different than posting pictures after the animal is dead and having a big grin on you face? No. Anti's raise a huge fuss when anyone posts pictures of Facebook when people want to share what they are proud of. The Anti's want to force us in the shadows. The less people are exposed to hunting, the less interest there will be in hunting. The issue with most videos is 99% of the time it is about the kill more than the hunt. The real work that goes into the hunt and the enjoyment from it. That is where I think we really screw up and why the Anti's can show the pubic we are blood thirsty. DANNY

17-Aug-16
I support filming your adventures and whether you want to share it online is up to you. There's something magical about being able to relive things that happen in a few seconds. I do agree it should be based more on the journey than the end game, but not everyone has the means to film a full length cinematic hunting video.

It seems the biggest thing the antis are using aside from name calling is that "he left it over night.. therefore the animal suffered all night." They should be forced to watch a bear maul a fawn, or calf before they can vote blindly or throw threats around. But I guess such is human nature to act out of ignorant emotion.

17-Aug-16

tacklebox's Link
Read this terribly liberal take on it... Also explains the angle the libtards feel should be used to make a case on the charges. What a crock!

17-Aug-16
"Anti's raise a huge fuss when anyone posts pictures of Facebook when people want to share what they are proud of. The Anti's want to force us in the shadows. The less people are exposed to hunting, the less interest there will be in hunting."

So my comment isn't argumentative...more about clarifying....

Having been at this game of hunting and killing for over half a century, I don't ever recall so much backlash from the anti-hunters, PETA, HS, and the public in general until Al Gore invented the internet and hunters eventually began posting pics and videos of their exploits with a huge emphasis on glorifying the killing experience. I'm saying there's a decent argument that over-exposing the non-hunting public to our successful (meaning killed and dead, with lots of red) hunts can actually be driving public opinion of hunting in a direction we don't want. If we're inadvertently turning the perception of hunting into something about as family savory as watching a slaughterhouse video...that might be doing much to keep future generations of young people from liking the sport or even being associated with it.

I'm not about hiding what we do. I'm also not about making it look like we are cold killers with an in-your-face attitude.

17-Aug-16
People are scared of things they know nothing about. It's human nature.

A guy shooting a bear with bow or gun has been done for a long time.

A spear. Now that's something that hasn't been done for a million years.

As long as he is legal and no past issues there's nothing anyone can do about him.

If he has poached in his past and not a stand-up guy - he will get crushed.

17-Aug-16
Kevin Dill,

I agree that is why I stated videos out there is more about the kill, not the hunt. One of the issues we as hunters have is that we are reactionary. Meaning that: When the Anti's start showing bad stuff about us we react. We have taken what we do as what has always been done and should be accepted. Our problem is the Urbanization of the country and prepackaged everything where society doesn't see what needs to be done to feed it. Hunters/Hunting Organizations need to be proactive showing the public what we do as hunters for wildlife on a continuing basis (Billboards for instance), not just when we have to react to what the Anti's say to try and discredit it. Projecting the positive image not just as individuals (which is always good) but the positive image we as hunter do as a whole for all wildlife and how we do it. How we put our money where our mouth is. When was the last time you saw anything positive about hunting or hunters in the public (Magazines, TV adds, Billboards, or Radio adds)? NOT in hunter only venues, where we preach to the choir. Where we put it out in the public's face in a positive way. DANNY

17-Aug-16
I'm 63 years old and have been hunting since I could walk and have never missed a season of hunting. When I was young it was common to see kids with pellet/BB guns/slingshots/bows roving around and families going and coming from hunting. Then some anti hunters thought that looked "un-cool". So we were told, when I was and adult to 'just keep your head down and be discreet" and everybody will be cool and leave us alone.

Fast forward to the present. Nobody ever sees guns here anymore and they just freak at the sight of one. Instead of being an everyday, peripheral part of their lives, guns, game and hunters have become something to fear or suspect. We did that to ourselves with that "be and let be" tactic. Anti's are a religion and they hate you. Nothing you do will soften their resolve to regulate you into history.

How did they get such power? By quietly stating the facts? No. By shrill, constant, in your face public displays. They DEMAND to be heard and heeded.

Do you think feminists advanced so quickly by quietly demonstrating their just case?

Do you think the Gay Rights movement took place by "keeping their heads down"?

The more you disengage from the general non-hunting public, the quicker the anti's will have you in a smaller and smaller corner. If all people see and hear is the part of hunting that the anti's want them to see and hear, then we are sunk.

How many are putting out counter information? And beating up a spear hunter on a hunting forum doesn't count.

How many actually take fifteen minutes out of their off season to write, and duplicate copies to, their various levels of government?

The hunting fraternity better learn how to roar or it will die with just pathetic whimpers.

17-Aug-16
Ambush, that is a concise, well though out and well written vignette.

May I use it, properly attributed?

17-Aug-16
Sure, no need to attribute.

17-Aug-16
On the video thing - the thing with videos is that 95% don't actually convey the hunt. The kill is the "climax" of the hunt. Most videos show 5 minutes if a hunt including a kill.

As a hunter, we understand the backstory of those 5 minute vignettes, and so we still like the video, we get to see the climax of the hunt and how it all went down, and we enjoy the video and move on. From an anti-hunting standpoint if all you see is these kill videos it's pretty easy to understand their perspective.

That's why I love the type of videos you see from Donnie Vincent and similar style videos that really capture a lot more of the essence of the hunt. To me, these are the kind of videos that are made by someone that is THINKING in his head, "this is going to go on public media, and I want hunters to love it, but also for it to be acceptable to non-hunting people." THOSE are the kinds of videos I like to show to non-hunting people so maybe they can get a glimpse into the life that I love so much. It's the kind of understanding you're not going to get from a 1 hour video that boasts "23 kills" or whatever.

NO we don't need to run and hide but you darn well better believe we have to think about what we are putting out there.

When I explain why I hunt and how I love to hunt and the adventure involved I'm not kidding I swear 99% of strangers and friends I talk to just eat it up. They love it! They see this story I bet you 80% of the same people hate it. Perception is everything.

17-Aug-16

DC's Link
This guy did something that most people today won't even try to do. And he was good at it. I'm glad I got to see the video. Very Cool. The anti's can stick it where the sun don't shine. I'm tired of trying to make stupid people happy. They need to get a life and stay out of mine. Maybe I'll post a video!

I do write to and talk with (Those in Office). Converse with Game Warden and Biologist and I will not at any point in my life hide the fact that I am a Hunter. Born and raised in the South. A Christian and I vote Republican. I have Guns and I know how to use them. I am a Vet and I stand for Freedom and the Constitution. Love God, Family and Friends.

You cant fix stupid!

17-Aug-16
"His sole purpose was for his own primal satisfaction,"

Yep. That why I do it too. If it weren't for that I wouldn't even be out there. Certainly not to "honor" the animal... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume they're rather not be hunted.... honor they couldn't care less...

Made a good hit and quick kill.... what's not to like? That it was a spear? Pretty awesome if you ask me. That they filmed it? Lots of folks film their hunts. Nearly every body takes pics of dead stuff too. So what?

Can't fix stupid is right... if I hear another anti tell me to go buy my meat in the supermarket were nothing had to die I'm gonna snap on em....

17-Aug-16
Hear hear Ambush. We need to stop being afraid of what others think of us. Acting afraid and hiding makes it seem we have something to hide. On another similar note -- I don't "harvest" animals, I kill them. Saying you have harvested them steals from them. They died. You did it. Honor the taken life by calling it what it is.

17-Aug-16
haha shedhorn. Good on you. I always tell people "I harvest carrots, I kill animals".

17-Aug-16
Kevin D. nailed it. Who woulda thunk ego and the internet would of killed hunting?

Get a few videos out like Clay Hayes produces, such as Untamed, and we might have a chance. With the undecided, of course.

17-Aug-16
no one is going to charge him much less extradite him back to Alberta to face charges. Where does this crap come from?????? And some of ya'll swallow anything the libs put in print.....

17-Aug-16
I think that's bad ass killing a bear with a spear! Good on him I'll stick with my bow but if it's legal to use then go for it.

18-Aug-16
Bear meat is some of the best meat I have ever eaten. The spearing isn't that uncommon have seen plenty of stories about it over the years. If done right it is incredibly effective.

Antis are like the ancient parable about the man and his donkey walking across the bridge. Some say he should ride it , others say use the rope and walk while yet others still were not happy until he carries the donkey. He tries that neither one likes it they both panic and tumble off of the bridge. Everyone calls it a tragedy.

If we don't use wildlife management (which obviously includes hunting) animals and humans loose. The American wildlife model clearly shows this. Look at how whitetails, pronghorn, wood ducks, turkeys, etc. were brought back from that slide into threatened or endangered species. Like it or not hunting has existed almost as long as humans have. We have never been , nor never should be an observer, we are a participant in the web of life.

I am not going to change my ways to appears some anti. However they don't make the decisions that effect us. Its the neutral or non-hunter. They are the folks you need to display good ethics morals and offer samples of your game. I have swayed so many of them sitting on the fence by bringing in deer and bear jerky, deer sticks, fahitas, stir fry, etc. made out of wild game at corporate get togethers. That sets the stage for some good dialogue. Even converted a few antis once they found out how I utilized the game, hated to ever loose one, desired clean kills, harvest, etc.

The unreasonable antis, nut jobs I could care less about, except the ones pushing the terrorist agenda and even flat out supporting it financially and socially. That includes PeTA, SOAR, HSUS,ALF, ELF, Humane Society of US (few people know thy have nothing to do with your local Humane Society). I was there when the terrorists attacked the U of M, stole critical research animals , let the go into the wild to die (actually a farmer field), fire bombed the wrong research building (the one designated as non-pesticide, GMO alternatives research), torched a local business mans mansion because it has wildlife mounts in it. Once you have the ability to talk to neutral folks and point these things not in a shouting match, they will side with you.

Again the antis are basically misguided brats, have no clue or in the case of felon Rodney Corodado Adams are just terrorists, supporting a cause because it may look go to others when they just like to be an arsonist. His legal fees were paid for by PetA and likely HSUS. Center for Consumer Freedom found the cancelled check years ago. So you want that guy presenting at your local university? he still does in parts of the country due to political correctness and "animal rights."

Compare that to the ethical bowhunter, spear hunter-which one do you want to present at your local community nature center?? Does BSA, GSA, 4-H have arson badges or wildlife mgt., biology , archery badges, etc.

18-Aug-16
Ollie what has "need" to do with hunting? (Modern) Guys have been hunting bears with spears since the 60's. And, since when do we NOT let people hunt with assault rifles?

18-Aug-16
If the hunt and kill was legal, there will be no charges. You can't be charged with committing a legal act.

18-Aug-16
This is a symptom of a complex cultural shift, where we as a society have disconnected from the natural world. It is yet another example of the anthropomorphizing of animals, as well as the application of some weird arbitrary hierarchy, where a bear is somehow more "valuable" than a deer, or a fish, or an ant. Had this been a video of a guy spearing a whitetail deer, a caribou, a bison, or any other large ungulate, there would not have been any major outcry. However, as a society, we've somehow arbitrarily classified bears and other large predatory "mega-fauna" in a higher, almost more valuable position. I simply don't see things that way, but understand that the vast majority of western culture does...

18-Aug-16
All the news is that there will be no charges but they plan to ban spear hunting.

Sometimes hunters can be there own worst enemy. Leaping around screaming and whooping is viewed by the vast majority of the public and by many hunters as over the top and disrespectful of the animal.

Be happy, enjoy the moment, but don't video offensive behavior, post it online, and expect you are doing hunting any favors.

18-Aug-16
There are some disturbing views on this post from people that claim to be hunters and sportsman. Hater's are going to just plain hate no matter what you use to hunt with and no matter what you hunt. Opinions and views are like a******s...everyone has one. The anti's will use anything as an excuse to go after anyone that hunts, kills animals, possesses and uses firearms, archery equipment, trapping or anything else they deem you use to kill animals. If you don't support ALL HUNTER'S, NO MATTER WHAT THEY HUNT AND KILL WITH...YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. BLA, BLA, BLA...I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY OF YOUR WEAK EXCUSES.

18-Aug-16
"All the news is that there will be no charges but they plan to ban spear hunting. Sometimes hunters can be there own worst enemy. Leaping around screaming and whooping is viewed by the vast majority of the public and by many hunters as over the top and disrespectful of the animal.

Be happy, enjoy the moment, but don't video offensive behavior, post it online, and expect you are doing hunting any favors."

^^^ this ^^^

18-Aug-16
Someone on here mentioned to honor the taken life. I too agree. That's probably one of the biggest issues with this kill. It's not just the strange method but it's his behavior. There is little honor or thought given to the act and everything is about the hunter and his "amazing" accomplishment. Plenty of guys have killed bears with spears. He's far from the first to do it. So he doesn't even have that part right. What's next, Chinese stars and throwing knives? It's just not necessary and it shouldn't be encouraged or promoted. There was nothing badass about it. Seeing a guy stalk a dall sheep or a coastal brown is completely badass. Let's not forget there is a giant barrel of bait in the background. Now I've hunted bears over bait so I'm not condemning it but I've never made it out to be something it's not either. Like Bou'bound said... the thing seemed like a stunt.

I too am a committed hunter but I thought this video was junk. There was little to it that I would call compelling. This encourages bad hunting practices and puts our entire hunting community in a bad light. Someone else said it well, just because you can doesn't mean you should. If you decide you want to attempt to kill a whitetail with 4-5 throwing knives I certainly would not video it and put it on youtube. You won't get a ton of support.

Trkytrack, I respect your opinion but I disagree that I'm part of the problem. I don't feel I need to support all hunters regardless of their practices, behavior or ethics etc. Poachers hunt animals too should I respect them?

Apauls said it well. Perception is everything. We need to be better.

18-Aug-16
What I don't like about this hunt is, first, didn't he hit a little far back? Seems like he went through the intestine then into the diaphragm (he says he hit the diaphragm himself). We all make mistakes but it wasn't a "great" shot. Second, not even looking for the bear until the next morning. A bear at 60 yards, and he had help; he couldn't have missed it, even in the dark. He said it was "too dangerous." This guy acts like what he really cared about was the video, not the meat or hide. The video was his trophy. "The first guy to ever video killing a bear with a spear." Please.

18-Aug-16
APauls - ditto.

19-Aug-16
Under armour dropped Bowmar and his wife from their team after the video. Shows how much ua supports their hunters.

19-Aug-16
Repost

19-Aug-16
Repost

19-Aug-16
"Under armour dropped Bowmar and his wife from their team after the video. Shows how much ua supports their hunters."

Yep. It also shows how sensitive many companies and their customers are to displays of offensive (as determined by them) behaviors.

Bowmar may have had the legal right to spear the bear. He did have the legal right to video it and post it. Doing it the way he did will cost him, and he will be a social pariah for some time.

For the record, I support legal hunting and that includes spearing. I don't support doing it as a stunt for a video production.

19-Aug-16
Smart people don't necessarily feel compelled to share every legal thing they do in their life publicly. The fact someone can do something does not mean they should do something. A little discretion is wise most of the time.

19-Aug-16
This guy wasn't too smart if he thought for a second he could post the video, be emotionally charged about it and not have consequences. I would drop him too....even though I personally have no problem with how he killed the bear. Our most intimate moments in life rarely need to be displayed.

Responsibility.

19-Aug-16
"Under armour dropped Bowmar and his wife from their team after the video. Shows how much ua supports their hunters."

It only shows that UA agrees that this video was offensive and they don't want their company's name associated with it.

19-Aug-16
Not saying he did because I didn't watch any video, but hunters who over-celebrate a kill have no place in my camp. I mean the ones who seem to be all about me and forget to give thanks. That is one big thing that bothers me about lots of tv hunting shows. I'm no saint and I'm all about some high fives but there's a difference and there's a limit. Displaying it on the internet is just plain stupid and no good can come of it.

Every once in awhile a non hunter asks me "How can you be such a HUGE animal lover and still hunt and kill animals?"

One thing I always say is if you eat meat somebody killed something for you. I would rather do it myself. I think I do it more ethically and with way more respect for the life I have taken.

But when I tell people that I don't have an image in my mid of someone slaughtering a cow or pig and videoing themselves jumping up and down with a sinister look on their face saying Boo Ya I got you MFr! If they did some of us might be anti-ranchers.

Hunters who do that are not what I want people to think of me and my fellow hunters. Also they fuel the anti hunting fire. For those two reasons alone I think those kind of people are a$$hole$.

Remember when we used to read Field & Stream and Outdoor Life? lol

19-Aug-16
"For the record, I support legal hunting and that includes spearing. I don't support doing it as a stunt for a video production."

This.

19-Aug-16
Poachers don't hunt and aren't hunters. Their criminals and should be treated as such.

19-Aug-16
I guess the guy in the video wasn't actually sponsored by ua, only the wife was. Guilt by association kind of thing.

19-Aug-16
I don't see any difference between this guys video and vast majority of black bear bowhunting videos on youtube. He threw his "arrow" instead of shooting it with a bow. The reactions afterward are identical to most others.

19-Aug-16
"All the news is that there will be no charges but they plan to ban spear hunting. Sometimes hunters can be there own worst enemy. Leaping around screaming and whooping is viewed by the vast majority of the public and by many hunters as over the top and disrespectful of the animal. Be happy, enjoy the moment, but don't video offensive behavior, post it online, and expect you are doing hunting any favors."

^^^ this ^^^

Ditto X-man

20-Aug-16
Yeah, just because it's legal doesn't make it right.... Same with high fences and other controversial so called hunting/killing issues...

I didn't view the video, but if it was recorded recently and the phrase - "The first guy to ever video killing a bear with a spear." I know is not true because years ago watched a video of a guy spear a bear (blonde-cinnamon phase) from a stand, directly over bait struck down through the back and it was not pleasant to watch with all the blood... Matter of fact the gore turned my stomach and can understand why legislators would want to change the laws... In a sustenance situation, I understand anything goes, but to record it and post over the internet just to stroke his ego is and was just plan stupid and wrong, and a bad image of "hunter" to the nonhunting public.... Hope he learned his lesson...

20-Aug-16
"Be happy, enjoy the moment, but don't video offensive behavior, post it online, and expect you are doing hunting any favors." AMEN!

20-Aug-16
I will second that AMEN.

20-Aug-16
I've always thought hunting isn't really a spectator sport. I don't really care to watch most of the TV hunting shows. They all seem like the same thing over and over. Mostly they seem like they are only about the kill and big trophies. I tend to prefer shows about the experience and what leads up to the kill. Bowhunter, Meat Eater, Solo Hunter, and Apex Predator, are pretty good shows. But even then I'd much prefer to be out in the woods myself than watching any hunting show on TV or Internet.

22-Aug-16
I for one saw the video for what it is, a man using a very primitive weapon to kill a big bear from the ground. What he did, imo, is the epitome of hunting. I agree that his celebration was a bit over the top. But I understand the endorphin rush that he would have felt imediately after the impact of that spear. My own heartbeat rose as the climax of the hunt unfolded. I did not feel that the video was gruesome and I'm glad I was able to see such a feat. I give him kudos for practicing and being proficient with his chosen weapon. He made a clean throw in the same way we practice so we can make a clean shot. As far as videoing the hunt, I'm glad I got to see the hunt so I'm glad he videoed the hunt.

23-Aug-16
Ambush , I 100% agree. The anti hunters, like the anti gun crowd (liberals) want to take our rights away and are not afraid to tell everyone how right they are. They could care less what method we use to KILL an animal, antis would love to ban ALL hunting /trapping. Some hunters act like they are ashamed that they hunt for fear of offending someone. Its The PC world we live in I guess. Saw recently where a young girl and her dad were threatened for posting a pic of her giraffe she killed . I don't think she used a spear....

23-Aug-16
When I tell a nonhunter or even some antihunters that I bowhunt, the most common reply is "Well, at least you give them a chance." The implication, of course, is that hunting with a gun is less fair than hunting with a bow simply because it's less effective. Following this logic down, hunting with a bow is less fair than hunting with a spear. As I stated before, in almost every black bear bowhunt on youtube the successful hunter behaves similarly to this spear hunter. I really don't understand the outrage.

23-Aug-16
Remember years ago when everyone was up in arms about Eskimos clubbing baby seals to death. Then some university did a study, hooked up electrodes to baby seals and dispatched them using different methods. Turned out that clubbing was the most humane method of killing them.

25-Aug-16
Davy C , I DO remember that...

25-Aug-16
were the people upset about the baby seals being killed upset about the method of take or were they upset with the fact they were being taken.

25-Aug-16
Exactly. It's about the perception of brutality and using techniques to kill animals that NON-hunters opinionate are objectionable or even inhumane. Right or wrong, perception of how we do what we do is going to affect our future.

26-Aug-16
When it comes to environmental activism I don't think it has anything to do with what is what is "upsetting". I think its about having an agenda and doing anything you can to achieve it. So in answer to Bou'bounds question I think they just wanted to stop the hunt and were using brutality as a foothold.

26-Aug-16
This is a great example of why promoting something simply because you have the right to do it it's not always wise

This form hunting will now be banned all because one guy felt the need to satisfy his ego preempting common sense

but hey it was his right with was being the key word

26-Aug-16
Love the spear!!!! ....bring on more, and the sport will grow and grow and they won't stop anything

??

26-Aug-16
I told this one before, but it's never been more relevant.

Harp seal walks into a bar.

Bartender: what'll it be?

Seal: Anything but Canadian Club on the rocks.

Rimshot,..

26-Aug-16
Cecil the lion killer lost a helluva lot over that deal, and it was legal

27-Aug-16
Is it time we stop posting pics/video everywhere?

Is it time we no longer make our targets look like animals?

Is it time we lay down our bows/arrows?

You give anti's a little (like UA did) they will not stop!

You think hunters denouncing what Josh did is how you defeat Anti's ?

If you think for a second that Anti's can't take the very best hunting show and spin it against us then you are a fool.. This includes you Cameron Hanes.

Im not sure how anyone who produces hunting shows can critique other hunting shows....

27-Aug-16
Wonder who will be next? Shockey?

27-Aug-16
LOL...! Bullshooter

27-Aug-16
You don't defeat the Anti's,you win the undecided.

The undecided defeat the anti's.

I like video depictions to be fairly accurate in the majority of hunts,so the undecided get a true feel of what hunting is about.

Stalking a bear around a garbage can with a spear in your hand falls short of that requirement imo.

Sorry,but I have political aspirations to be able to hunt all my lifetime...

27-Aug-16
Saddle me up beside Genesis.

It's not about outright defeating the anti groups. It's about never letting them achieve what they are obviously working toward which is a majority of people who will...one by one...vote to eliminate hunting opportunities.

Anti groups work hard to recruit hearts and minds of the undecided. How much time and money do hunters spend trying to reach the undecided every single day? What things are we doing to cause them to look on us with favor? What things are we putting out there for them to propagandize and use to defeat us?

We can play tough guy and say we ain't backing down. Maybe it feels righteous. Tough guys don't win elections and decide policies though. Majorities do that.

27-Aug-16
Agree.... to a point.

Where is the point where we DO say we aren't backing down? Do we wait until it is something that directly effects one personally? How's that been working?

One or two guys are OK to toss off the island to the gators? Seems nobody likes em anyway.... Do you keep tossing folks off so they won't get you? You think it won't ever be your turn?

Is there that line to stand at or is this just a slow quiet retreat, keep giving in until nothing is left? Hide in the bushes and only come out at night?

UA didn't just give in.... they panicked and grabbed the first sacrifice they could get their hands on. Has it stopped them? Now they are being attacked just for being in the industry. Who's at fault there, who's gonna get tossed to the gators next to try and placate a bunch of radical nazis?

27-Aug-16
What is it with social media that people feel the need to brag about everything they do? This whole video hunts is gone way to far in my opinion. Who are you videoing for? I have every hunt locked in memory,and I can tell a story if I want to share it with others and don't need any video to brag to my buddies. Is it you want to be on solo Hunter , my god hunting should be a one on one endeavor and the meat you bring home is your proof of skill, not your video tape. We as a group have become so self absorbed and want to record everything and show it off. As far as spear hunting? Not a good thing, and even though it's legal in some spots it cannot be beneficial to hunters in the long run, especially with so much focus on the hunting sports as being cruel and unnecessary. At some point hunters as a community need to police ourselves and speak up on methods that are harmful to us and IMO spear hunting is one of those.

27-Aug-16
TD,where is the point where we say "it's not like we tossed this guy to the gators but rather he went for a legal swim in the bayou at midnight with ribeyes in his pockets"

:)

27-Aug-16
Well, yeah... there is that.... =D

But UA sponsored them.... they sponsored hunters.... hunters kill stuff, what did they think? They didn't sponsor em to hang out on the couch eating cheetos. They weren't poaching, legal hunt and a good kill. They aren't the first to jump around and get excited by a long shot. Did the antis say "OK, glad you fired em" and went away? They are being hammered right now from them.... simply for selling hunting gear and some of the officers being hunters.

This was going to happen no matter any video, and UA should have had a plan on how to deal with it. Looks like they were caught flat footed and panicked.

It is what it is. UA had every right to do what they did. But now they have to deal with the fall out of that action, that's the way it works. Personally I'd love to see them become the Ditzy Chicks or the Target Store tranny room of hunting gear. I have a few of their heat gear shirts, but hey will get no more business from me.

28-Aug-16
"What is it with social media that people feel the need to brag about everything they do? This whole video hunts is gone way too far in my opinion."

Agree!

28-Aug-16
It's similar to the Facebook (and other media) phenomenon where people must show people all the things they are doing. It's a culture of attention seekers hoping for their dose of approval and adulation. Or maybe it's just acknowledgment of their accomplishments. Makes me wonder what would happen if people couldn't get 'likes' ...'favorites'... exaggerated oohs and ahhs... positive reviews ...and of course rewards whether tangible or just emotional. Would these guys keep posting videos if that's where it ended?

28-Aug-16
this is just a glorified example of a guy who kills a deer feeling the need to drive it around through town all morning with the tailgate down and then hanging it from the tree in his front yard.

gotta show the world what a big competent hunter he is. let them all see it and pass judgment on him. who cares what they think, it's his right to display it. let those who don't appreciate it suck it up.

but they have opinions, and voices and someday they may have a vote and the egomaniacal actions of some will color the way they vote.

.................but so what.............the hunter was legal and he had the right to do it.

28-Aug-16
As far as video of hunts I think that has more to do with society and video taping everything. Police have sure had to learn to deal with some of the negative ramifications of having increasing documentation. I have to admit I have not seen the spear hunt video but I did see the video of Jarod Allen spearing an elk.

06-Sep-16
Gritty Bowmen did a podcast interview with them and it's worth a listen. Then they followed it up with a podcast about how under armor handled the situation. Check it out.

• Sitka Gear