sureshot 25-Aug-16
HDE 25-Aug-16
Bowbender 25-Aug-16
JRW 25-Aug-16
Kevin Dill 25-Aug-16
Bowfreak 25-Aug-16
HDE 25-Aug-16
19-Aug-16
Just saw on Facebook where Under Armour Caved to the anti hunters crowd and pulled sponsorship of the spear hunter who legally and relatively killed a bear.

I am not surprised at all! under Armour proved what I always believed, they were in it for money and do not support hunting!

I only have a few items, but will not be using them at all!

I hope there is a major backlash for this!

19-Aug-16
I thought he didn't break any laws.

19-Aug-16
"I am not surprised at all! under Armour proved what I always believed, they were in it for money and do not support hunting!"

..and the companies that refused to sponsor him from the get go?What becomes of them King?

Just sayin'

Just maybe UA is not against spear hunting at all but the presentation of this athlete's craft to the World through film.

When Donnie Vincent gets canned for a spearing a black bear (he probably never will) I'll get a little more concerned

19-Aug-16
I had some Under Armor hunting gear a number of years ago, it was crud...

19-Aug-16
why wouldn't they. hunters are an infinitesimal percentage of their consumer base. they wouldn't miss all of us and the fact is most won't care enough to stop using them anyway.

19-Aug-16
They are getting SPANKED on FB.

19-Aug-16
The wife was the one who was sponsored. They cut ties with both apparently. I believe this will chop their sales way down because the boycotts are coming from both sides. Antis refusing to buy because of the remaining hunter support, and hunters refusing to buy because of lack of hunter support.

19-Aug-16
In it for the money!?!?

You mean the brass at UA sat around a table with their calculators and figured there was more money to be made from non-hunters than from hunters?? And then voted for profit over virtue?

I sure hope no other companies figure out this simple trick and do likewise.

Hunters, collectively, could punish UA and make an example of them. After all, that's how they were pressured into dropping a hunter. But we won't. We WILL complain on hunting forums and wring our hands over the injustice. A very few might even not buy UA.

But we are not cohesive enough to make an impact. Heck, much of the time, WE are busy throwing other hunters under the bus, thinking in the long run it won't affect our bus ride.

I'm not sure when hunters are going to recognize that the extreme anti's that promulgate this type of outcome don't care if you hunt ethically. They don't want you to hunt anything by any method!! Period.

Until hunters get active in social media and use the same tactics as the enemy, we will be stuck sucking hind tit and getting pushed off that soon to.

I know that most non-hunters are not anti hunters and that is where the battle lies. Countering the bad info is crucial. If the only info you have is from one side then that is the message stuck in your head. Hunters are by nature somewhat withdrawn and a bit reclusive, because we want to escape to a more natural, less worldly place and ignore the flap and frills of modern society. But ignoring the reality will not make it pass over you unscathed.

So who is going to write UA a letter. Maybe include a pic of a piece of gear going into the garbage. Who's going to use their facebook/twitter/buzzchat/etc to create awareness?

Pretty sure all that UA is going to hear from over in the hunter's camp, is the crickets chirping.

19-Aug-16
Hm. I kinda like their boots.

I don't think they can have their cake and eat it too. Unfortunately, I don't think they can cater to sports, and cater to hunters. Not in today's world.

I'm not surprised they choose to boot the hunters.

19-Aug-16
Will Cam Haines dump UA??

19-Aug-16
What SHOULD happen is that ALL sponsored people should willingly leave UA.........will it, we will see!!

19-Aug-16
How about Shokey he uses a lot of their gear to ?

19-Aug-16
Yes, I'm sure the dozen or so perpetually offended people ranting on social media will send them straight to bankruptcy court.

19-Aug-16
Curious if Cameron Hanes or the solo hunter guys will speak out about it at all.

19-Aug-16
Tim Wells dumped UA, will Cameron Hanes? Lets see just how dedicated hunters REALLY are? Mike

19-Aug-16
The granola crunching couch potatoe keyboard warrior anti's weren't buying Under Armour to begin with.

You have to admit it is stupid to post that kind of thing on facebook or anywhere on the internet. Hunting is not loved by the masses, and you're not going to convert the masses with that.

Let's say you love beating your wife and she loves it too. Go post on facebook that you enjoy beating your wife and she loves it too. Expect backlash. Doesn't matter what you and your wife are into, the majority of people don't like it. You have to think of context when "putting things out there." Put it somewhere only a hunting community can see? Sure. Out in the wide open internet? Bad idea.

19-Aug-16
This will get interesting for all involved.

Bring back Treebark

19-Aug-16
I always kinda wondered how the UA/hunter marriage would go. I always thought it was great that a mainstream company like UA sponsored some hunters but never thought of UA as a hunting brand or thought their gear was even close to on par with sitka/first lite/kuiu. It will be interesting to see where this goes. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it if UA came out with a statement that they have no problem with spear hunting but are dropping this guy for just being a general moron.

19-Aug-16
I wish I could buy ANY gear that doesn"t sport a logo. Why should I pay for it and then give them free advertising by wearing it? What a racket. Always thought UA was way overpriced anyway. Screw em.

19-Aug-16
Did any of you guys actually see the original video that was posted?

19-Aug-16
I didn't see anything wrong with the video. Probably should have left out the guts on the tree branch though.

19-Aug-16
U/A makes hunting stuff? :-)

19-Aug-16
I often wondered how "connected" UA really was to hunting. I recently heard one of the founders and owners of UA (I forget the name) on Cameron Hanes podcast. I was very impressed at his knowledge and passion for hunting. It seemed to be much more than just a hobby to him.

The news of them caving to antis does shock me after hearing that podcast. Maybe he didn't make the call, and will hopefully speak out on the situation.

19-Aug-16
I believe UA shouldn't have backed down to pressure from antis but it didn't help that the guy acted like a complete moron in the video either. You all can boycott all you want but I've got a fleece jacket and pants that are UA and I'm not going to the extreme of throwing them out... hell I've already paid for them. Actually pretty good clothing(compared to most of the crap UA makes) but I'm also not buying anything else unless they get some backbone!

20-Aug-16
Lets see if Cam's in it for the money or the sport!

20-Aug-16
What I saw on the clip was pretty much nothing. The guy killed a bear with a spear on the ground and no blind, stand, whatever.

What are you supposed to do? Kneel and build a shrine? How many folks you know who have done such a thing? Maybe lots of folks, but I can only come up with.... 1.

Most folks shoot stuff by themselves and no one else around. If you don't know, it makes a difference in your reaction when there are other people around and being filmed, etc.... well, you just don't know what you don't know.

UA bailed. Pretty much the Target of hunting clothing.... never liked the stuff much anyway, lots of better options....

20-Aug-16
I guess that I wish that I had been buying the UA clothing, so that I could stop and protest. The fact is that I bought some about 10 years ago, and thought that it was so inferior to known brands that I have never bought another piece of their stuff.

Now I don't even have to think about it

20-Aug-16
"Our rhetoric will impact a lot of families who work for UA."

Right, so the actions of corporate UA aren't responsible for for the well being of it's employees, we are. Makes sense to me.

20-Aug-16
In a short while no one will care. Remember Cecil the lion?

20-Aug-16
You guys worry about the most trivial things.

20-Aug-16
It's merely a business decision and nothing personal. It's all a numbers game, percentage wise, and unfortunately as hunters we are a minute percentage.

20-Aug-16
I boycott UA because they charge the same prices as Sitka and Kuiu for clothes that are half as good. I think I'll continue that stance until they step up their game.

20-Aug-16
Maybe someone should call Bobby Hulls son, see if he is still involved at all with the company. There is a alot of UA camo out there. They likely are concerned if hunters quit buying it due to a knee jerk decision on sponsorship.

Treebark and Predator were probably the best camo patterns out there. I buy it when I can on estate , garage sales, rendevous etc.

20-Aug-16
UA sucks. He didn't get dropped by UA because he was never sponsored by them, his wife was and they dropped her. oh well I enjoyed the video and I will continue to watch his videos and I will continue to buy better quality items from sources other than UA. Badass kill if you asked me I bet his adrenaline was sky high. KUDOS to him

20-Aug-16
Would SOMEONE please post the dang video so non drama loving, non facebook members can see it?

God Bless men

20-Aug-16

spike78's Link
Cameron Haines speaks out on FB. And you may not like it. See attached link.

20-Aug-16
I don't have a FB account. I have never read anything by C Haines before today. I read his comments and will say I admire his straightforward take on the matter. Good statement.

20-Aug-16
Kevin I don't have a FB account either, never have and never will. Bowsite is my Facebook!

20-Aug-16
If I was UA, I probably would have done the same thing. They haven't served the hunting market well at all and I imagine hunters do not reflect a more significant revenue base than, say, people who think spearing critters is unwarrantedly barbaric.

Frankly, though, UA could have gone the other way and used the close proximity kill to dispel the stink factor in their gear. That would have been useful if not totally dishonest.:)

20-Aug-16
Yep. He nailed his reply. People idolize the Cam's of the world and act as if he should behave the way they think he should. When they have nothing personally invested at that. We all work for someone and, as employee types, there are certain things we have to do for our "employee".

I finally saw the video and, while we all know there was nothing wrong with what he did, putting yourself in a non hunters view, I can see where that one should have stayed off social media due to how it will be perceived by many. I'm not condemning the hunter or saying UA should have done that. I'm just saying I'm not surprised there was some backlash from it.

I wish the spear hunter and his wife the best. God Bless

20-Aug-16
In some ways this shows another reason to support hunter specific gear and clothing. Companies that don't just see you as a sliver of a pie...... that have a vested interest in the sport and SHOULD have your back....

21-Aug-16
i think the steroids went to cams head !!!!

21-Aug-16
Cam really nailed it. The world is much more grey than many believe and we'd be better off if deeper thought went in to what hunters post on the internet. Isn't it great that a passionate hunter heads up a major sporting goods company? Instead, he gets bashed for making a tough business decision that was precipitated by the judgement of a sponsee.

21-Aug-16
Id say cam is a realist who gets it. Too few of those types these days

21-Aug-16
The arrogant attitudes toward this matter voiced by many here and across social media scares the living daylights out of me, far more than anything the antis could ever do or say.

Yes, UA’s statement was not worded properly, but they did what they had to do from a business standpoint. No one is going to remember the exact wording, trust me.

This isn’t about the act of killing the bear, it’s about the portrayal and broadcasting of it. They broke no laws and ethics are personal. We are not the judges of what is ethical (one of the reasons I rarely post on here).

When you choose to publicize hunting, you inherently accept responsibility to portray it in a positive light on behalf of all of us. This is not to appease the anti’s. Anti-hunters are as emotionally vested in their cause as we are in ours. This is about the hunting-neutral majority of voters. We don’t have a chance to reach them to state our case. They only see the bad sides of hunting, the narratives pushed by a media, who happens to collectively be opposed to our lifestyle as well.

I’ve had the privilege of traveling and meeting people from all over the US and some parts of the world. I grew up in small town USA and I understand that it can be hard to see things outside of our little bubbles. Having both perspectives, I’m not sure many of you realize just how perilous hunting stands within the demographics of California, Oregon, Washington, and the Northeastern seaboard. We collectively have a difficult fight on our hands without shooting ourselves in the foot. Don’t think that when hunting is illegal in California, that they aren’t going to go after Colorado, Pennsylvania, West Virginia next.

Josh and Sarah may be good people, I don’t know. There is no doubt they made an extreme mistake in judgement, and they are going to pay the consequences. I pray that they land on their feet and learn from this, but I hope not to see them in the hunting industry in the future. Collectively as hunters, we deserve better, more respectful representation than they have shown capable of.

Bowsiters, please just stop and think about what particular actions mean before you blindly support a fellow hunter who chooses to cast themselves into the public arena. This isn’t an us-versus-the anti-hunters battle. It is merely smart public relations in a protracted battle for the future of hunting.

21-Aug-16
I've heard guys say that criticizing these types of videos is an attack on hunters. I've heard them say we can't back down to the anti-hunters. I disagree with the former and AGREE with the latter.

If I was an anti-hunter / activist I would WANT videos like Bowmar's and countless others to be free fodder for building fires. I would be delighted every time a hunter appeared on video to be thrilled at the injury and hopeful death of an animal...even ecstatic. It's exactly the type of ammo I would use to feed the army and recruit new members to fight against hunters.

Disavowing the production of these videos isn't backing down in any way. It's using simple logic to minimize a weapon being used against us every day. It's only a matter of time before we will see a Bowmar-type video show up in a prime-time Save The Animals ad...just like we now see all the sad dog and cat faces peering out from cages and tugging at our heartstrings....or the heartstrings of non-hunters deciding whether their children should be allowed to hunt animals.

21-Aug-16
UA is getting crushed on FB.

If you don't think this impacts companies like this it does. When the Million Mom group said they would boycott Target after bathroom policy many said it wouldn't do much.

The next quarter they missed forecast and their brand metrics plummeted.

If hunters were a company we would be Fortune 50. hunters are a serious force to be reckon with when it comes to spend. That doesn't even include just outdoor activities which would increase that number significantly.

UA biggest mistake was they aren't the clear leader in the category and can't afford these types of misteps because going back to Nike or another brand makes it nearly impossible to steal those consumers back for a second time.

I can guarantee you they are scrambling to fix this OR drop hunting line all together.

They are screwed.

21-Aug-16
I think Hanes' post was pretty good.

21-Aug-16
My response would have been simple and no BS. I gotta eat and pay the mortgage.

21-Aug-16
I think the guy who speared the bear needs to think about what he does and what he puts out on the internet if he wants to be sponsored. He may have been legal and within his rights but I can see how what he did portrays a bad image to him and his sponsors.

Just because it's your right doesn't always mean it's the right thing to do.

21-Aug-16
Much respect for Cameron Haynes. To judge someone without knowing 1/2 a percent of what's involved and how complex thing are is a mistake.

21-Aug-16
Cams post makes sense to me. This isn't black and white.

On the bear kill I can care less if they used a spear, arrow, bullet or a big rock. Dead is dead. However you have to be an outright moron to go posting it on face book and then be upset at people's negative reaction to it. The if it's legal it's right mentality is a load of crap. furthermore the days of " I will show you and if you don't like it tough shit " are over. Like it or not Non hunters views of us effect us, and not taking that into consideration is plain shortsighted foolishness.

21-Aug-16
I've read it more than once, you want to get hated on, post a dead bear pic.

21-Aug-16
Elk yinzer ^^^^^

In today's world, you put it out there, you can't take it back, just like an arrow.

Unfortunately, the video portrayed us all, like it or not.

21-Aug-16
If UA caves this easily to something like this. It's only a matter of time before they cave to the antis when it comes to bowhunting.

22-Aug-16
So nobody should put their hunt on the internet?

Because there was zero wrong with with that hunt, nor the reaction to it. I would suggest YOU go spear a bear on the ground.... no blind, no candy azz tree stand as if that makes it more.... ethical....

"he gets bashed for making a tough business decision" Yes.A business decision. His decision is he went with his friend and employer. Which ethically means WHAT for hunting? Zip.

In all fairness it wasn't Cam's call. He wasn't consulted, as bean counters in suits likely will not. And again, I know of nobody who quit their employment over some corporate decision of who they work for. That is what it is.

But I hope UA gets hammered for caving in to what in reality is a handful of people who Lord knows what percentage ever venture out and actually buy and use their product. Honestly.... I think if hunters get it together and make their numbers known they would make a much larger dent..... I don't think there are that many UA customers who this will make them boycott over this video. Most are sitting on their ... couch.... and eating B$J ice cream in their underwear....

If this is all it takes for them to cave..... they have NO interest in the SUPPORT of hunting.... only to see if they can get some hunters to buy their stuff and make some money off them.....

Support companies that have an interest in hunters and hunting. THEY will be much more likely to have your back.....

22-Aug-16
I agree with most of the folks standing up for under armor here. Under armor and other companies have done a lot to make hunting a true athletic sport! They have improved the picture of hunting in the public eye by dispelling the "uneducated redneck Hunter" stereotype that many nonhunting folks have. I agree with one of the other posts that mentions the difference between small-town America and the game changing political power houses of the East and West Coast. Bow hunting culture maybe very strong in rural Missouri but it is not in Washington DC or Los Angeles California or New York city New York, like it or not the people who live in these places shape our future and they know very little about what a rural lifestyle involves. If you do not understand that our hunting rights hanging by a thread you need to educate yourself, a trip outside of your small town would be helpful!

22-Aug-16
I am not an industry insider. UA obviously makes and sells a lot of products for a variety of demographics and interest groups. I suspect their corporate strategy is to remain politically neutral as much as possible in regards to promoting or defending the special interests of their customer base. But once in a while a situation develops and requires a response.

Undoubtedly UA responded to negative pressure from their non-hunting customer base and then tossed the Bowmars. I'm figuring UA viewed the video pretty thoroughly and came down on the side of judging it as too controversial and offensive for a majority of their customer base. As has been said repeatedly, this comes down to doing what a very large company must do which is make decisions in the best interest of the business and its shareholders. They'll figure to lose some business and rep from hunters, but that's likely a pretty small fire compared to the inferno that could happen if they stood and defended the Bowmar video simply on principle.

Another probable truth is that over 80% of UA's hunting product sales will be made to hunters who know nothing about the Bowmar situation and wouldn't care if they did.

22-Aug-16
The "uneducated redneck Hunter", who buys a lot of UA hoodies/etc. locally either won't know about this or won't care. Much ado about nothing really. UA always appeared to me as decent apparel at an extremely inflated price.

22-Aug-16
Guess I should read all the posts prior to submitting my own. Kevin's last line sums it up in my pov.

22-Aug-16
You guys are DEAD wrong.

My companies job (one of the largest in the industry) is to build brands.

What is happening on their FB page is incredible and they are screwed.

What's making it worse is they are ignoring the hunters on their page which is making them more irate. Compounding the issue is the antis have found that UA executives hunt so now they are mad.

This is a great case study of social media incompetency and it's going to crush UA soon if they don't fix it today.

UA is getting everything they deserve. Like I said Target did this same thing and they got CRUSHED. It will take 18-24+ months before they recover to where they were.

I have been counting and for every 3 supportive posts there are 100 mad hunter posts. That's insane. Nothing I bhave seen to date compares to that gap.

22-Aug-16
I think part of the problem is that some of you guys have only seen the edited video not the original full length feature. I can promise you that 90% of my non-hunting (not anti) friends would not have walked away with a favorable view of hunters after watching it. I'm sure this Josh is a nice enough guy but he acted like an asshat in the video.

22-Aug-16
I wonder how many of the posters on this thread would find themselves fired, or at least severely chastised, if they posted a similar video on social media. Companies do not want negative publicity and the hunter sure should have known better than to think he could spear a bear and post the video on line with no negative reaction. And to think that a private company is all about profit! Shocking!

22-Aug-16
I understand UA's response and have no issue with it. I also realize that fringe hunting activities are always going to draw the ire of antis. Spear hunting, killing hogs with knives, hunting animals with dogs, trapping, etc. is low hanging fruit. While I don't have issue with any of these practices it is easy to see how they are used as anti hunter propaganda.

22-Aug-16
A number of hunters seem to be offended by UA not taking a total pro-hunting stance in this matter. In fact, what we might be seeing is where more companies are headed in terms of hunter support, due to their increasing sensitivity to videos (and even legal hunts) that threaten heavy corporate repercussions.

I think it points to a future where companies will be hesitant to throw blanket support to hunters unless hunters comprise the majority of their business.

In this case I see UA divorcing themselves from someone associated with a controversial hunt/kill video and knowing there will be some unhappy hunters. No video...no social media...no controversy. Score a PR loss for hunters. Time will tell how it plays out, but I think the UA logo isn't going away anytime soon.

22-Aug-16
Poorly worded statement by UA. That said, hunting isn't a spectator sport and there will always be controversy when it is made into one. I don't buy it for me but my kid is into football and loves UA stuff. Its over priced but one of the founders is a local guy and I knew they hunted, so I figure it beats paying Nike.

Sponsored hunters know the drill.

22-Aug-16
Quote Bowfreak: "Spear hunting, killing hogs with knives, hunting animals with dogs, trapping, etc. is low hanging fruit. While I don't have issue with any of these practices....."

Unfortunately, when that "low hanging fruit" is knocked off the tree and trashed, the next tier up is now the new bottom.

I think most of us agree that the video should not have been made available in it's entirety or maybe not at all. Because the anti's will pick out the few seconds that they want to portray as the reality. So we have to be careful to leave out that ammunition.

But anybody that thinks siding with the anti's on this particular episode will win any points with non-hunters is sadly mistaken.

UA made a business decision in their boardroom and business is business. They live or die by those types of decisions everyday in a fickle, competitive market. As well, my choice to support or not is my decision.

Just "..not having a problem.." with someone else's weapon or style is not going to be good enough for survival of hunting in the longer term. Only active, aggressive and inclusive support is going to forestall the inevitable.

22-Aug-16
I agree to an extent Ambush but I believe that hunting for food is very acceptable to the general public. The farther we get away from that practice the less acceptable hunting becomes. The landscape is changing and whether we like it or not this country continues to lurch to the left.

I had always in the past believed that when you give an inch to ARA's or gun grabbers that they will take a mile but I am not so sure that we are all in the same boat anymore. I think Steve Rinella is the one that said this but it was something to the effect about all being in the same boat and one guy is shooting holes in the bottom......it is OK to kick him out. I am torn on this issue because I am not sure what is best for hunting in the long run....BUT whatever that is I am for.

22-Aug-16
Scent Blocker is doing 50% off on their site in response to UA dropping their sponsorship. Promo code - WEDO50.

Scent Blocker is the type of company I will support from now on.

22-Aug-16
I like Cam's response.

The Bowmar's probably are really good people. I think the judgement used in this video was lacking. If you want to tell a story of spear hunting, great. However, you aren't just catering to the audience you WANT to see the video. If they didn't see this backlash coming, they are very naïve.

I have no problem with the method of take. I do have a problem with the overall attitude the video presents to people who may or may not support hunting. Videos like this are damaging to all of us. With a little more thought, they could have done a very good video that presented the primitive art of spear hunting, instead of what appears to be an ego trip and lots of chest beating.

22-Aug-16
He acted like a complete fool in the video after he speared the bear.

22-Aug-16
Cam's response was measured and calculated and necessarily so. It may be tough at times for him to separate "Cam the man" from "Cam the Brand" but it's a decision that can't be taken lightly when your livelihood depends on it.

When it's your own job/live that is under threat, a much more sober approach is taken. If it's not you personally, it's just like playing with Monopoly money.

Sad thing is, the anti's have spilled a bit more blood and that truly excites and emboldens them. :{ Alberta Fish and Game has come out and supported a ban on spears and atlatls What's next after big spears? Why, little spears of course.

We will suffer death by a thousand small cuts.

22-Aug-16
"He acted like a complete fool in the video after he speared the bear."

And that is what the antis wanted him to do. He is obviously a supporter of spear hunting. His behavior just indirectly led to the loss of it.

22-Aug-16
So we should all hide we are hunters? We should show no emotion and we should just pretend that non of us hunt because the anti hunters might use it against us?

Sorry but as archery hunters we are one misplaced arrow on video away from the same reaction maybe worse.

I am surprised at how many do not realize that this literally is only one small step from an archery ban. Sorry but UA folded and folded hard to a Change.org petition. They reacted swiftly and without reason.

They showed that their bottom line is far more important. As a result they have betrayed the hunting community and old Cam while calculated and a decent guy has ultimately showed that he too is about bottom line and not about the true passion of hunting and supporting it...

22-Aug-16
This same attitude reflected by those here who are not fired up and upset at UA are the same attitudes I ran into as a high school trying to prevent the spring bear hunt and trapping bans in CO. Entire groups turned thier backs on the hound hunters and trappers. Now we have fewer deer, and more problems with bears. etc.

It will have a ripple effect. We need these large companies who suck our money up to actually stand strong and support legal hunting.

I beleive that Scent Blocker is offering a discount to sway over UA hunters.

23-Aug-16
UA is screwed 97% of all comments on their page right now is hunters.

To put that in perspective after Cecil/Target the mix was much more like 50/50 or 60/40.

They seriously miscalculated the reaction and missed the mark on who their customers where. I am not sure how they didn't know hunters make up a HUGE portion of their base since most team sports are in the southeast, midwest, mid-atlantic and northwest.

Many pros are hunters/fishermen.

The other complete stupidity of their move is the fact they sponsor people like Phelps who has 2 DWIs, etc.

After Target's debacle brands should know to only make moves if you absolutely have to. They didn't need to do this especially since they have a hunting line.

Complete marketing debacle and failure. Someone is getting fired over this.

23-Aug-16
"So we should all hide we are hunters?"

There's a lot of room between hiding what we do and waving a bloody gut pile (metaphorically speaking) in peoples' faces. I couldn't begin to tell you how many true non-hunters I've known that were turned off by public idiocy displayed by hunters. Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should necessarily broadcast it in vivid color on the internet.

23-Aug-16
UA is getting slammed by BOTH SIDES,because of the video & posting a reaction on UA's FB page, the anti are now aware that UA "supports hunting" just not this kind... A LOSE-LOSE for UA! LOL, LOL, LOL!

23-Aug-16
This whole situation smells worse than their base layers.

23-Aug-16
UA is a big company and they got there pretty quickly. I won't pretend to know what's best for their business because they have proven they are better at it than I am.

I will say it was a poorly written statement and not much thought was given to the pro hunting customer base by the writer. I don't know if that was by design or by accident, but I can't imagine the goal was the blowback they are getting. The difference between their hunting customer and their swimming customer is that there aren't giant, well-funded, radical groups out there trying to outlaw swimming. I don't think the guy or gal that wrote their statement took that into consideration.

I would like to see them respond with something pro-hunting. I know some guys at the top are hunters.

23-Aug-16
I would wager the majority of hunters don't use big name brands, simply, because they cannot afford it.

It would be intersting to see if the 'hunting community' could really put a dent in the company's financials.

There is a much bigger market in exercise and field sports apparel than hunting. And, you don't have to worry about odor as much either. With non-hunting use, you wash more often...

23-Aug-16
Hopefully every hunter that is interested in maintaining their privilege to hunt takes a few minutes to sign the "Bring Back the Bowmars" petition on change.org

23-Aug-16
why so they can embarrass hunters again with a worldwide posting of a stunt?

no every right we exercise has to be made available to the entire human race, at least those with internet access, to view.

bad move by them

23-Aug-16
I guess because, like it or not, your wagon is hitched to the same horses. If the anti's beat them, they are that much closer to beating the rest.

This is just more evidence that we are as divided as we are doomed. And one because of the other. At my age, I'm not too worried about my own hunting future. Just be nice for my kids and grandkids, that's all.

But everybody chooses their own path and I'm OK with that.

23-Aug-16
Isn't it Tim Wells or one of those shows where the opening scenes of every show have footage of him spearing animals? A buffalo I believe? Anyway, granted Bowmar acted a bit of a douche in his video, but it was not shown on TV over and over for months or even years. And Wells was not exactly playing the respectful, remorseful humble role. I think he had a little poem going about what a badass he is, but don't really remember.

Did anybody yank his sponsorship? Why is this so different?

23-Aug-16
When will people filming hunts take responsibility for how they present our craft?

If you can't see the we live in a divided country/world over this issue,like it or not, you have to be careful about how hunting is presented on film. Period.

The proliferation of hunting footage on social media/Youtube and the complete lack of thought about how something might look is going to make hunting much more difficult for all hunters. The availability of cheap cameras with high definition, simple editing apps, and Youtube has made the last 10 years just nuts.

It wasn't the spear so much as the over celebration, the repeat of "I can't believe I killed this bear with a spear" 10x, and the intestines hanging out that put this video in the "not helpful to the cause of hunting" category. Not to mention, do hunting show hosts want to encourage others to get on the ground with bears with only a spear in hand?

Seems like common sense to me.

24-Aug-16
^^Bullshooter

Yes, Tim Wells' show's opening sequence features lots of spearhunting, a poem espousing how great of a hunter he is (e.g. "if it flies it dies"), etc. Not to mention that it ends with what appears to be him shooting a grizzly in the head with an arrow, at close range with the bear facing him. I find the whole thing offensive, and especially can't believe the Sportsmans Channel allows the footage of the grizzly shot - a shot that is ethically questionable, reflects poorly on bowhunters, and is downright stupid to take. I can't understand how that has not blown up somehow; maybe no one has noticed it yet. Or they can't stand to watch the whole thing and have already changed channels by then. I don't know anything about Tim, and really don't know whether his show is any good or not, because that opening sequence makes me totally lose interest in watching any further.

Surely hunting can be portrayed with more class than this! Many shows do, but there is room for improvement with many shows too.

24-Aug-16
Condemnation of a single man's behavior is not synonymous with condemnation of his sport.

24-Aug-16
HDE you are way off the mark.

Hunting is a $50 BILLION industry while Sports (Shoes/Apparel) is about $64 BILLION. UA absolutely pushed themselves out of a huge market.

UA is still a relatively small brand compared to Nike - hunters make up 13% of Nike's customer base.

UA forgot that most team sports and athletes come from hunting communities - SEC/ACC/Big 10.

BTW Hunters on average are 7% above the US average household income.

Also if you are interested Republican households make $94k a year vs. $76k for Democrats.

24-Aug-16
I've read so many different comments since this issue first came to light. My knee jerk reaction was to get upset with UA and want them to lose money and be negatively affected by this. Then after reflecting more, I agree with many others that say this was purely a business decision and I don't blame UA for it. Also, after reviewing the video, I can see how people might be upset by this.

Our society has become way more sensitive than previous generations. 10-15 years ago, if a video came out like this, it might not have caused such an uproar like it does today. We as hunters I think need to do more "self policing" and control what we show to the general public. I'm not saying we need to hide and not be proud of our experiences. We just need to be more aware of what we want to portray. We are NEVER going to appease the anti hunting/animal rights people. But its those people on the fence, the non hunting folk who don't have anything against hunting, that can be influenced.

Let's face it, hunters make up a VERY small percentage of the total population. We may number in the millions but compared to the rest of the country its extremely small. I think we only hurt ourselves when we take the attitude of "I hunt, deal with it, I don't care what you think". You can say that to an anti hunter, that's fine, but if you want to flip someone who is on the fence to the anti side, have that sort of attitude.

I'm sure we all know another hunter or two who through their actions portray hunters in a bad light. To the general public, they only remember the bad one's, never the good people.

I wish I could purchase KUIU, Sitka, or any of the other dedicated hunting brands. But when I can buy multiple UA clothes for the cost of one of the other brands, its hard to justify the extra money.

24-Aug-16
https://www.facebook.com/camhanes/posts/1332440020129356:0

24-Aug-16
We do not need to defend those in our ranks who behave poorly. Doing so, indicates we support their actions. I could care less about the anti-hunters. The biggest threat to our sport these days comes from within...all the yahoos with their disrespectful and distasteful videos.

24-Aug-16
"The biggest threat to our sport these days comes from within...all the yahoos with their disrespectful and distasteful videos."

This!

24-Aug-16
Hold on - just because you cry when you shoot an animal doesn't mean someone who does the running man when they kill an animal is wrong.

Everyone is programmed different and everyone has the right to celebrate the way they want to.

This guy did NOTHING wrong.

Native Americans run and club down ducks that are molting. They smile and celebrate their kills. You may not like it but it's no better/or worse than a quick bow kill. It's all hunting and what has been done for thousands of years.

BTW We make up 6% of the US population. That's not small.

24-Aug-16
Interesting that in the USA you can be convicted of drug offenses and get elected as a big city mayor but if you are the wife (not even the actual individual) of a hunter that posts a hunting video you lose your job as a spokesperson for a clothing company that supposedley supports hunting. I wonder how this Cam guy would feel if his wife or a buddy filmed something and posted it and a few people that hate that activity questioned it and complained about it. The next thing his sponsor justs drops him. I bet he and many here would be ok with that. On the topic of UA gear I don't own any I spend alot of money on my gear and usually by the best however I was in Bristol this last week at the NASCAR race and it seems a lot of young people that play sports and hunt wear this brand. Some I talked to were less than impressed with what UA had done as alot of these young customers can relate to the Bowmars.

24-Aug-16
Sage Buffalo - your statement about UA being smaller than Nike and hunters only making up 13% of their customer base coincides with what I was saying.

So, what % of UA customer base is hunters? Is that enough to put a dent in their financials?

If hunting is a $50 bill industry and sports is a $64 bill industry (larger market BTW) what portion does the hunting industry own in apparel vs sports, and further, what portion does UA own in hunter apparel vs Scentblocker, Sitka, Kuiu, Firstlite, etc.? Provide these stats and I'll say thanks for sharing, because my statement is just a gut feeling.

Also, according to your statement about household incomes, ok, whatever. But, are you inferring that only republican hunters can afford big name brands of hunting articles?

The things we get all twisted up about is pretty fickle at best.

(As of the June US population count, hunters make up 19.422 mill out of the total 323.700 mill).

24-Aug-16
No you misunderstood what I said - 13% is a HUGE number.

Most segments of a company are in the 7-10% range.

323 million includes infants and children - most companies focus on Adults or almost adults. So 238 million.

Since UA focus heavily on team sports I bet hunters make up 20% of their base which is why they launched a hunting line.

Why this whole situation is absolutely ridiculous and just poor marketing is the fact they likely had just a handful of months before their contract was up and they could have made up one of many reasons why they weren't renewing their contract.

Plus their executives hunt which didn't make the anti's happy so they lost on all accounts.

If there was a Darwin award for marketing every year UA would be running neck-and-neck with Target.

24-Aug-16
For every dollar, Nike gets 13 cents from hunters, I get that. For most companies that would be 7 cents to a dime for every dollar. Nike has been around for a while as well. Money was to be made in the modern hunting scene, so why not expand. But did UA start in hunting?

It helps, yes. Even though the adult population is a portion of the total, the total number of hunters include kids as well. For example, I'm outnumbered 2 to 1 in my house. Those other two do not have the gear I do because I will not out grow mine. The others will. I doubt many families consistantly buy the good stuff every year for their up and coming simply because they can't, even if they pull down 98 G's per year (gross, not net). Life in general gets in the way first.

I would be surprised to see UA go out of business.

24-Aug-16
I'm sure the fact that this guy responded by going online, throwing baby fits and telling people if they wear UA they're no better than PeTA really makes other companies want to line up start handing him and his wife contracts. Then again, I really don't know who these people are anyway.

24-Aug-16
hmm....

I recall watching Fred Bear use a gun to bust glass bottles thrown in the air while on a boat. The broken glass dropped into the sea. That was videoed and televised. It was a normal sort of thing for that day. If he did that today he would be instantly vilified by hunters, anti-hunters, soccer moms and every archery company in existence. Bear Archery would vote him to the hall of shame today.

My point is that societal tolerance and expectations change with the times. Hunting is older than any country in existence. Hunting videos have been made since before I was born. Anti-hunters have hated hunters since someone ate the first wild radish. But never has there been the proliferation of hunt-kill videos like we've seen in the past decade or so. I think we're seeing the evidence that some of them are producing very negative reactions from hunters, non-hunters, companies and otherwise noncommittal folks who see them.

Again...to me this is only about the video and what it showed...how it portrayed the kill. I'm in no way against Bowmar for hunting legally.

24-Aug-16
Interesting to read through this and see the different opinions.

Sage, question on the %'s. I'm amazed hunting is that close to "sports" as a classification in terms of $ generated. Is it safe to say, that the 50~ bil number for hunting is for all of hunting: bows, tree stands, guns, boots, clothes etc, while the "sports" number is for clothing and shoes only?

Just curious on that, it just seemed much closer to what I'm interpreting (perhaps wrongly) as a much bigger retail market - in the form of all the sports "we" all take part in.

I want to make sure I'm reading that correctly so I can understand better.

Thanks!

24-Aug-16
UA had a right to make the decision they made. But they were not FORCED to do so. It was done as a panic, a fear of what "could" have happened. And terribly misjudged a decent size portion of their base thinking they wouldn't really notice.

The Target comparison was spot on. To placate a radical and vocal few they did what they thought was the PC thing to do. Completely misjudging how a large segment of their customer base would react. It cost them millions. Is still costing them millions. How many trannys would have boycotted them for not doing anything but to continue their policies? What amount of their business are cross dressers?

Like Target, UA will not be put out of business.... but that isn't the point. They should be effected, take a big loss, made to pay for their actions. As much as a case study to other companies who are willing to publicly side with anti-hunters and throw hunting under the bus, which this very much was.

These people broke NO laws, weren't dealing drugs, no pedophiles, didn't trash a bathroom and then lie about being mugged, they took a weapon and killed a bear with it, I would assume the very reason they were sponsored, or at least the wife, the guy was not under any contract even.... they killed a bear as a great many bear hunters here have done. Although I would consider what they did a very difficult thing to do, far more so than an arrow or gun. Heck of an accomplishment in my book. If you bowhunt for the challenge and rush of close up and personal.... that was WAY close up and personal....

Look, these nut cases are stalkers of a sort. Nobody is shoving any hunting stories, pics or video in their faces, they have to go SEEK it out. They are LOOKING for it, not "assaulted" by it.

They really don't care the guy used a spear or was overly excited or anything of the sort. Like it was stated, the young lady with the giraffe was publicly trashed, any number of hunting pics on facebook and wherever are attacked, several people on this very site have been targeted. So now we are to quite taking pictures to share because of a handful of whack jobs? We are to go in hiding and keep what we do a secret? Ambush and others above are right. That will be the first step of the end. When hunters themselves act ashamed of what they do.

Hunter hunt. It's what we have done for millennia, it's in the genes. We take our place as best we can in the natural world. Screw these nut cases. They need to be told to go away and leave people alone.

24-Aug-16
Under armor didn't discontinue the hunting lines they're not gonna lose that business.

24-Aug-16
A sponsor is not accountable for the actions of those whom they sponsor. You cannot predict what someone will do.

However, it's the "aftermath" of what the sponsor does is what they are accountable for.

It would be intersting to see what the real pulse is on this in the hunting world as a whole.

There may be more to the story than we know.

24-Aug-16
They won't lose my business, they never had it with their over priced stuff.

24-Aug-16
Unless you are standing still naked and not breathing you are killing things. Driving down the road in a Prius and clipping a baby bird that can't fly very well and crushing one of his wings leaving him to slowly roast on the 110 degree asphalt is fairly brutal as well. But it happens and everyone knows it yet even the most kind hearted continue to drive. So wooopity doo!

24-Aug-16
I am proud to say I never and I mean EVER thought Under Armour was worth a damn. I never buy the stuff for myself and ever since the first ad campaign with all that "protect this house" crap I just never bought in.

24-Aug-16
I guy can't even use a fixed blade anymore.......

24-Aug-16
I guy can't even use a fixed blade anymore.......

24-Aug-16
Non hunters determine our hunting rights in most states, if not all. We simply have to be better about what is portrayed on our videos, shows, social media, etc. etc. It's that simple.

25-Aug-16
Under Armour? That overpriced, tight, clingy crap? I got some as a gift once and I gave it to Goodwill.

Can't stand it. So I really don't care what they do.

25-Aug-16
"Like Target, UA will not be put out of business.... but that isn't the point. They should be effected, take a big loss, made to pay for their actions. As much as a case study to other companies who are willing to publicly side with anti-hunters and throw hunting under the bus, which this very much was." -TD

^^^^THIS!^^^^

I agree with all the comments about hunters being more accountable, and putting out a positive image for us all, collectively. BUT...at the end of the day, hunters KILL animals! There is no hiding, or denying this fact, and it's something companies like UA need to realize before handing out, and then retracting, endorsements.

The bigger threat, is what policy changes are occurring after these social media blow-ups occur. After Cecil, lion hunting was banned in Zimbabwe. After this, spear hunting is probably going to be banned in Alberta.

The one positive that can come out of this whole debacle, is that perhaps not just UA, but all of society will see what happens when you piss off and refuse to back millions of hunters, and we all join together to show what we can accomplish as a group. I believe that solidarity amongst our ranks is a trend that must continue, if we want to continue our way of life.

25-Aug-16
Tell me when UA drops sponsorship of all hunters and I will get concerned, until then I see it as a necessary action. Unfortunately, while the kill was not illegal, the hunter portrayed himself in a very bad light as a result of his own actions, it was bad publicity. Companies drop sponsorship of athletes every day for conduct that is legal but not beneficial to the brand. Think Tiger Woods after he became known as a serial cheater,on women, not even related to the game. Some times we need to step back and look at the big picture.

25-Aug-16
^^^^ Good point. A sponsor has the discretionary right and privilege to drop someone if their behavior is contradictive to how they want their brand portrayed.

25-Aug-16
"Good point. A sponsor has the discretionary right and privilege to drop someone if their behavior is contradictive to how they want their brand portrayed."

Absolutely!! And...A hunter has the discretionary right and privilege to drop UA if their behavior is contradictive to how they want UA to support the very market they pander to."

25-Aug-16
Companies have the right to sponsor or not sponsor anyone they want.

People have the right to buy or not buy a product if they want.

People also have the right to get butt hurt about each of those.

People also have to right to laugh about it.

25-Aug-16
UA:

Their stock isn't losing value...up 10% since 8-4. I read they have 6,500 petition signatures to bring back the Bowmars. $4B/yr company. Sponsored 225 Olympic athletes in Rio.

From Alberta:

"The type of archaic hunting seen in the recently posted video … is unacceptable," Alberta's Ministry of Environment and Parks said in a written statement. "We will introduce a ban on spear hunting this fall."

"We've got at least one hunter that has come up here and wanted to hunt by use of a spear, so now it means we're going to have to address it by way of policy," said Wayne Lowry, president of the Alberta Fish and Game Association, a conservation group that consults with government on its regulations.

Apparently spears weren't banned for bear hunting, but neither were they explicitly listed as a permissible hunting weapon in Alberta. The video brought that to a head. Though I've searched I haven't (yet) found any statement from wildlife officials (Alberta) supporting spearing.

I idly wonder how many non-hunting (not anti-hunting) voters would vote to support spearing bears. I further wonder if a bear-spearing video would help convince them which side of the fence to come down on.

25-Aug-16
Kevin,

I can't answer with a number but I am pretty sure what side they will fall on.....I honestly don't think that video would pass the smell test to many non hunters.

25-Aug-16
"Absolutely!! And...A hunter has the discretionary right and privilege to drop UA if their behavior is contradictive to how they want UA to support the very market they pander to." - Bowbender

That's just the free market, no biggie...

• Sitka Gear