Paul@thefort 23-Aug-16
Paul@thefort 23-Aug-16
Blacktail Bob 23-Aug-16
Brian B 23-Aug-16
Jaquomo 23-Aug-16
Shug 24-Aug-16
muskeg 24-Aug-16
23-Aug-16
Has anyone ever used a Fawn decoy and distress call to hunt Black Bear? Do you think this tactic would work for an early fall hunt in Southern NY? I have never hunted bear before and am looking to try for the first time. If you have used this technique if you wouldn't mind sharing a few get started ideas, I would really appreciate the help. Brian

23-Aug-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Here is the Colorado bear I called in with a Quaker Boy Fawn in Distress call. He came to within 30 yards, tried to circle me. I shot him at 25 yards.

Not sure if you need a decoy especially if you are hunting in a thick forest and the decoy will not be moving so it may be hard to see from the bear's perspective.

With a call in hand, you are the decoy. Just make sure you are down wind and yes the bear's do have good eyesight.

I started calling a first light, softly at first for the first 10 minutes and then increased the sound for the next ten minutes, trying to sound like a fawn in trouble, ie, in the jaws of another animal or caught in a fence.

The bear came head on at first but then tried to circle. I was on the ground next to a large tree.

I had not seen a bear in the area but found lots of bear sign, droppings and broken berry bushes.

Fun hunt especially then YOU are in the bear's kitchen and YOU are on the menu.

I had bear spray handy but no side arm.

Hope this helps. My best, Paul

23-Aug-16
Brian, just to add. We can not use an electronic call for big game animals here in Colorado.

A possible decoy is one they use while coyote hunting. Looks like a rabbit on a stick but it jerks back and forth and is battery powered.

Paul

23-Aug-16
It is not uncommon for black bears to closely inspect the 3D Bear target I have in my driveway in Whale Pass. In fact, there are claw marks on the back of the target indicating at least one bear had a romantic attraction to the target.

23-Aug-16
Thanks guys. In NY you are not allowed to use an electronic call either, so I am going to try just like you did Paul. However I will have a sidearm and Bear spray!

23-Aug-16
I called one in and killed it here in CO as well. Wayne Carlton has a great video about calling black bears. I have the old VHS version but I'm sure it is in DVD.

As far as decoys, I tried using my ex-wife once but the bear ran away. As did I not long afterward....

24-Aug-16
Not predator related....but I've called in more than a couple on a bait site by shaking a 5 gallon pail from a rope below my treestand. Their approach each time was within minutes and all came in looking for the source....

24-Aug-16
I use the Deer call to call in Black Bear, here on Prince of Wales ..... both in spring & fall

• Sitka Gear