CurveBow 26-Aug-16
Charlie Rehor 26-Aug-16
Mudhole 26-Aug-16
midwest 26-Aug-16
AndyJ 26-Aug-16
Jaquomo 26-Aug-16
jdee 27-Aug-16
25-Aug-16
I'm assuming that I won't have cell coverage for my phone on my 8 day drop camp hunt in SW CO.

Is there any type of weather radio that would work?

Any other way to tell if big weather changes are on the way?

25-Aug-16
You can get a weather forecast through a Delorme inreach if you have one

25-Aug-16
Nearly all walkie-talkies have a weather button. You can receive NOAA weather forecasts over nearly all of the continental US. I have done this many times while canoeing in the Boundary Waters of northern Minnesota.

I don't know how accurate the forecasts are for mountainous areas.

One other tip... If you hold the antenna between your teeth, you'll get better reception. I am not fooling you. Try it and you'll see.

Also, play with the radio at home. They all work a little differently.

25-Aug-16
Hike up to a high point over a valley or canyon......you might be surprised and get signal....even 3g or 4g. Happens to me all the time in the CO mtns.

Any radio with a weather channel option will work. Just scan the 5 or so channels until you get reception. It often fades in and out. It's straight from NOAA so good forecast generally.

InReach gets weather but is slow to upload.

Watch the weather. You can often sense a big change in wind direction, strengthening of wind, cloud walls moving in, distant thunder growing closer, etc. If wind shifts to SW and clouds are coming.....generally typical weather pattern for storms. If switches to N or NW and gets heavy and dark in the clouds.....with temps dropping....you know you are in for it.

Right now, expect moisture to continue in that area I suspect. It has really cooled off in the past week in CO.

25-Aug-16
Early afternoon Thunderstorms can be a daily thing in the high country...Jordan nailed it...watch the weather, and be prepared for anything (hail, snow, 3 days of solid rain).

If you're equipped to hunt in all of the above, you do not have to burn a day of hunting. I pack layers to account for anything when I'm out and about.

Best of Luck, Jeff

25-Aug-16
I have a very small NOAA weather radio. I take it on all my overnight trips. It even has an alert that comes on and warns you of serious weather warnings.

25-Aug-16
Been elk hunting Colorado my whole life. We take a crank weather radio with us in case of emergencies. You can find them pretty cheap, they are super light, but sometimes might be bulky. The one I carry is about the size of a nutrigrain bars box. They do come smaller though and I have seen some that are about walky talky size. In fact, LL Bean makes one called the Fr1 Mini, it has a lifetime warranty and can be had for less than $35. No matter though, when you need it you'll be happy you had it.

25-Aug-16

Rut Nut's Link
I have this one. About half the size of a motorolla or similar FRS 2-way radio. Works on 3 AAA batteries.

26-Aug-16
I have a Delorme InReachSE. I downloaded new software this week (update) and I can get weather forecasts now. It works on satellites and can do texts or emails too with no cell coverage.

>>>>-------->

26-Aug-16
I got good cell coverage in SW Colorado. Have a great hunt! C

26-Aug-16
I hunt in unit 71. Phones usually work on top. You may have to move around a little to get good reception. For some reason there is a spot on a particular north slope well below the top that works great. We just usually carry our phone in a shirt pocket (on vibrate)and check weather and call home when it's working.

26-Aug-16
InReach

26-Aug-16
It doesn't matter. They are always wrong.

If it's sunny in the am-Highs in the 70's with a chance of t-storms in the afternoon.

If it's cloudy in the am-Highs in the upper 40's with a chance of snow at any time.

26-Aug-16
Mountain weather is so locally-specific that you need to just prep for whatever and roll with it. It was sunny at my cabin when I left at noon. An hour later and 9 crow-miles away it was hailing like crazy.

27-Aug-16
+1 Jaquomo

• Sitka Gear