wifishkiller 30-Aug-16
BoggsBowhunts 30-Aug-16
dm/wolfskin 30-Aug-16
Stickhead 30-Aug-16
midwest 30-Aug-16
Genesis 31-Aug-16
LINK 31-Aug-16
25-Aug-16
Levi (Mr. 101 Yard Elk) just smoked a tank of a coues from 73 yards on his show, shot was straight uphill. I hope by now everyone doubting him realizes it wasn't a fluke? The guy knows what he's doing.

25-Aug-16
He is a very good shot, but on the stud thing, I'll just take your word for it.

25-Aug-16
He had to get 28 yards closer, he is losing it:)

25-Aug-16
Sorry. Not impressed.

25-Aug-16
Me either.

25-Aug-16
Great, another TV hero promoting bowhunting as how far you can shoot instead of how close can you get. How many copy cats will try this?

25-Aug-16
If copycats try to pull of shooting like Levi, they are freaking idiots. The guy is the Michael Jordan of archery. Most tv hunters can't shoot for crap. But Levi makes his living shooting a bow.

25-Aug-16
I Hopis better than Michael Jordan Michael Jordan missed 52.8% of his shots in the regular season and 51.3% in the playoffs

25-Aug-16
73 yards line of sight or...?

25-Aug-16
He is no doubt a great shot and that is basically where is celebrity came from. I shoot with a guy who has won Vegas and the worlds. He can shoot like no one I know and he even says Levi is in a class by himself. I know my bud has made quite a few kills at over 60 yards, just because he can do it, don't mean I will be trying anytime soon. I agree bowhunting is about getting close but sometimes depending on the terrain and lay if the land 60-70 yards may be as close as you can get. I say good for Levi! Shawn

25-Aug-16
"...sometimes depending on the terrain and lay if the land 60-70 yards may be as close as you can get."

And that's when you call it for the day and try again another time. You NEVER have to take a shot just because the HUNTING got hard. It's possible to get under 50 yards to any animal. Not every day in every situation, but eventually. Of course if all you're trying to do is make a name for yourself quickly and any way possible, no doubt you will succeed. May not quite be what you intended though.

25-Aug-16
Lemme know when he shoots one at 15 feet.

25-Aug-16
Good shot and good for him. I bet you guys that bitch about the distance are the same guys that bitch because he's hunting in matching Sitka camo? Or because he's not wearing flannel and a cotton tee shirt from Wal-Mart

26-Aug-16
what if the deer decides to move in the two seconds it takes the arrow to reach the animal. for that reason alone i'm not impressed and I don't want this clown hunting any where near me. I wish these long shot hero's would be honest and document all of the wounded animals or bad hits, then you might not be so impressed.

26-Aug-16
Bowhunting should be about how close we can get. These examples aren't good for the beginning bowhunters who will actually try to shoot 101 and 73 yards at their first animals.

26-Aug-16
What is the maximum, acceptable distance to shoot a coues deer or elk with modern archery equipment?

26-Aug-16
He maybe a good shot, but it sounds like he is a terrible Hunter.

26-Aug-16
I'll ask again. What is a the Bowsite acceptable distance for shooting an animal with a bow?

26-Aug-16
Levi probably shoots better at 73 yards than those who criticize him on this thread do at 30.

26-Aug-16
Get the popcorn! I got grilled on here about 10 years ago for shooting an elk at 68 yard raking a tree. I didn't care then and I dam sure don't care now! I know my limits. The ones talking shit will always talk shit no matter what you do.

They are better? Idk evidently they are. Ethics is personal!??

26-Aug-16
C'mon Junior, don't ya know a completely calm and relaxed elk doing something to keep itself busy can jump the string in a fraction of a second!? ;-) apparently some people can't read animal behavior, or have tried longer shots and ended up with a bad result, which left them thinking that all hunters shouldn't do it just because they screwed up? I still don't understand it. Apparently they think everyone has the same exact skill set?

26-Aug-16
I believe that the reason many won't shoot past 30 is because they can't. Those same people often have smaller animals move on them on close shots and make less than ideal hits. It's hard to argue with success but many will. Personally my ethics are better than all of you, I won't take a shot beyond 7 yards. If ten is as close as I can get I call it off and go home and practice my stalking skills. Anything beyond 7 and an animal is almost certain to move. ;)

26-Aug-16
The guy obviously has zero "hunting" ability...

26-Aug-16
There's only one Levi Morgan. I just hope people realize this and don't try to duplicate what he can do on animals. As long as he can make that shot reliably, I really don't care what he does. I'm smart enough to realize that I can't and won't try to.

26-Aug-16
As mentioned, good for him but not impressed. With all the tech out there I'm sure a lot of archers who actually practice could do the same. When he takes an aniaml with a recurve at those distances then he'll be a stud. Tim Wells takes some awesome shots and with no sights, so whose the better archer?

26-Aug-16
He is an incredible shooter, and I give credit, where credit is due.

However, if/when his arrow strikes an animal in the ass, the video goes viral, anti's pressure sponsors to drop him, and states start looking to ban bowhunting, I hope all you folks still salivate about what a phenome he is. :)

26-Aug-16
I couldn't care any less if someone "smoked" any animal. Especially at 100 yards.

26-Aug-16
+1 Boggs and Link on the 30 yard guys. I know that to be true, use to be that guy! BS on your 7 yards though! Lol I get it. Seriously, I won't shoot much past 70, unless its a follow up. I am no Levi( he is the real deal)Btw..I try to set up for 30 on White tail stand hunting. Stalking you better be prepared to go long! Especially if you are a diy hunter on public land with limited funds, and no time to scout. You just got to know YOUR OWN LIMITS, and hunt accordingly.

26-Aug-16
If my memory is correct, last year he missed an Ohio buck while hunting out of a tree stand. I guess it was too close. :)

26-Aug-16
Until a week ago, I'd never heard of this guy. Now he's being called a "stud" for making a 73yd and 101yd shot on a deer and an elk. Really...?

Not cool. At least in my book, and very unethical. He may have the ability to make these kind of shots, but by airing them I guarantee there will be others who think they can do the same. It's irresponsible, and certainly not studly.

You've seen the successful shots he's made at these distances. You'll never see or hear about the unsuccessful ones.

26-Aug-16
I get a kick out of the what if guys, what if when you draw you suddenly hiccup and blow the shot. Lots of what ifs, too many too list. All that stuff can happen at 20 yards. The only issue I had with this hunt for the coues deer was that he communicated with a guy on a walkie talkie asking him where the deer was and if it was still in the same location, that according to P&Y is not allowed. It makes it a hunt that is not considered fair chase from what I read in the rules for the club. Also for the guys that preach, do you know who basically founded archery as a sport and are you aware of the shots they were taking at live animals? Obviously none of them had any ethics, because guys like Pope and Young and Will Thompson and Howard Hill and even Fred Bear took shots a lot farther then 100 yards on game animals. I suppose you would say ethics have changed and I would say that too is a joke. Shawn

26-Aug-16
73 yards corrected (as in 87 yards LOS), or 73 yards LOS (as in 45 yards corrected)?

Big difference between the two. If that's the case, then hundreds of people have made "65 yard shots" at elk and deer very successfully.

He may be a very good bow shooter, but hardly worth the idol worship I think...

26-Aug-16
Besides the objections mentioned, some of you are applauding the results he released. I'd be more interested in the unedited video of ALL his shots.

As for what should be the max distance. I would say what is consistently possible for an individual to be confident in WITHOUT electronic aid.

26-Aug-16
LOL @ "stud"

26-Aug-16
Nothing wrong with taking long shots but the fact he uses matching Sitka gear and not cheaper stuff is disgusting

26-Aug-16
Distance is for those who cant hunt.

26-Aug-16
Someone was just knocking him for missing on film. Who says he doesn't air misses or bad hits? Some just need to get over the fact that some are better shots. Some argue animals move. I will argue until I'm blue in the face that a larger % move at -40 than 60+. There have been plenty of animals duck the arrow or take a spine shot at -30 and sure some move at long distance too. Animals that are feeding and don't hear the shot don't tend to react much unless the arrow is very loud, even then they won't hear the arrow until it's close. I bet many of you have had bad hits at -30 because an animal saw you draw and was on alert. A lot goes into the equation and it's hard to speak against consistent results. 1-2 wounded animals at long range doesn't even buttress the argument when put into perspective the number of downed animals Levi has at long range. Some choose to end the stalk at 70 yards, because they can, others try to get closer because they have no other choice. Who cares? If the guy was wounding more than the occasional animal it would be different. If you've never missed, wounded, or poorly hit an animal you haven't shot at very many.

26-Aug-16
Guy is one the best shots with a compound in the world. I hunt with recurves and longbows and have enough sense to realize that I'm not going to have the same range for ethical kill shots as the best of the best stickbow archers. The guy is a fricking sniper.

26-Aug-16
I'm a big fan of Levi more for his convictions. He is in a class by himself shooting. If someone is trying to copy Levi and his long shot ability...that's on them and not Levi! JMHO!-)

26-Aug-16
+1 jingalls I didn't attempt a 63 yard field goal in high school just because I saw Jason Elam do it.

26-Aug-16
who is Levi ? he cant be as good as Tim Wells

26-Aug-16
"on the stud thing, I'll just take your word for it. "

Coffee out my nose - LOL!!!! Curse you DRYCREEK

26-Aug-16
Hmmm... Explain where ethics apply in your football analogy LINK?

And all the more reason he shouldn't be taking or airing these kind of shots if Levi has proven he's missed at lesser distances. You think he'd be getting all this praise if he aired a 92yd. gut shot unrecovered elk.

Nope... You won't see that shot on TV. Reputation in the toilet. Remember Tred Barta...?

It's called ethics. We've called celebrity hosts out on it before. Good and bad.

26-Aug-16
BigRed some are saying his long shots will cause idiots with a yardage tape to launch Hail Marys. If they do and make a bad hit its on them. Most of us don't try stuff just because we saw someone with better skills do it. Make sense or do I need to attach a picture?

26-Aug-16
I have had whitetails move at the shot at 13 yds that didn't know I was there. So how far is too far?

26-Aug-16
I have seen the guy shoot personally. He is beyond any on this board no questions asked. He just so happens to bow hunt as well and he is equally adept at taking great shots on unsuspecting game.

When I watch a guy peal off a 54.5 yard shot in a shaded and deeply angled down position and 12 ring a 3d black bear, it really begins to sink in how good this guy is. He makes it look so effortless.

I am not trying to demean anyone's shooting skills, we have some amazing archers on this board, but unless you have see him shoot first hand, one cannot truly comprehend the athlete this guy is.

26-Aug-16
He's a great shot that is for sure. I'm sure the pressure of getting a kill for TV persuades longer shots.

26-Aug-16
its worse to call another man a stud then take long shots !!!yikes !!!

26-Aug-16
"If you've never wounded or missed an animal, you haven't shot at many" Is EXACTLY RIGHT. Practice more and maybe YOUR acceptable distance will grow. OMG, I bet he got a drink out of his YETI cooler and celebrated too????!!!!! OH, the shame!!!!!!

26-Aug-16
Now THIS is why I don`t post my 200 yard kills....

26-Aug-16
what were the chances the 3D black bear moved ?

when I read about those really long shots, I just wonder how many wounded animals are not known about...

26-Aug-16
My wife calls me "stud"....... And I never take long shots, ...

I'm so confused.

26-Aug-16
^LOL

26-Aug-16
Brad a hell of a lot more are wounded at 20 yards then 100. Even if you gave a percentage I bet that would be true. Shawn

26-Aug-16
Wow a lot of judgemental people here. You dont know his shooting habits or effective range. He makes 2 kill shots at longer distances and now hes a terrible hunter and cant get close to game. Please haters gonna hate Hunt out west and you realize no matter how good of hunter you are there are times you cant get closer. Smh

26-Aug-16
When did we all become such a bunch of pussies that is looking for someone to copy. I learned how to do from my Dad. If I did it wrong, he told me. I soon learned he didn't like to tell me twice. I eventually learned not to make him tell me twice. As far as copying what someone else did my Mom had that one covered. On the rare occasions I dared to tell her so and so got to do something I didn't, she would just say "I'm not their Mother." Never forgot that. She taught me that other people will do what they will but she expected me to do right. I didn't and don't always do that but I was taught. I guess if I had to have an opinion on this issue it would be good for Levi but I don't see why everyone has to care. Do you, that's enough.

27-Aug-16
I'm with ki-ki. Beside's, I think his wife is much better looking. :^)

Come on. He can't be better than Tim Wells.

27-Aug-16
"Wow a lot of judgemental people here. You dont know his shooting habits or effective range. He makes 2 kill shots at longer distances and now hes a terrible hunter and cant get close to game. Please haters gonna hate Hunt out west and you realize no matter how good of hunter you are there are times you cant get closer. Smh"

Chalk me up as one of the judgemental guys. I don't believe ki-ke's wife calls him "stud". TMZ had a story about her steppin' out with Legoman. It's shameful that Steve comes on here and tries to bolster his self-image with hyperbole.

27-Aug-16
Want to stop being disappointed by hunting celebrities? Stop creating them.

27-Aug-16
^^^^ what JRW said.

27-Aug-16
There are many good reasons to hunt. Self aggrandizement is not one of them. That is the main motivation for this type of "celebrity" hunter. He has nothing to contribute except, 'hey, look what a great shot I am'. He has NO care about the image he portrays, except to puff up his own false ego. Those who put him on a pedestal instead of calling him out, or at least ignoring him, only perpetuate the problem.

27-Aug-16
Levi is an insanely good shot. It's his tag and his choice. I myself would not get much satisfaction at taking game at that range but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.

27-Aug-16
Well said Ziek, we as a group should not be promoting shots Like that and every time Levi does it on his show think of how many young/new viewers are going to think they can do the exact same. Sure Levi is a good shot with sights etc... But he is now viewed as a celeb Hunter and he should be promoting ethical shots on liive creatures. I always thought the point of bow hunting was to get as close to your quarry as you can, if I want to shoot game at 100 yards I'll hunt with my 308.

27-Aug-16

AndyJ's embedded Photo
AndyJ's embedded Photo
To all the impressionable youths out there. Here is the best way to take a shot over 50 yards.

27-Aug-16
"Levi is an insanely good shot. It's his tag and his choice."

Is he? Part of setting up a shot, especially a bow shot, is determining the range. He's using electronics, not skill, for that. I'm also quite sure we haven't seen EVERY arrow he's released at game.

It's called bowhunting, not bowshooting, for a reason. Shooting skills are best demonstrated on a target range. He has demonstrated NO hunting skills.

It's been said that a great pilot uses his superior knowledge and judgement so he doesn't have to demonstrate his superior flying skills. To paraphrase that: A great bowhunter uses his superior hunting skills so he doesn't have to demonstrate his superior shooting skills. In other words, great shooting only comes into play in an emergency, not as the first choice.

27-Aug-16
Only thing I will say I wish I was half as good of a shot as he is. IDK, we all can sit here and beat the guy up . The man is and amazing shot ,and also a good hunter . I see he said he has already killed 17 of the North American animals and that just not happen by accident . I have done a bunch of guided hunts and have practiced had for those hunts , but me I have limits . I tell the guide , you get me to a certain yardage I will make the shot .

27-Aug-16
"Brad a hell of a lot more are wounded at 20 yards then 100. Even if you gave a percentage I bet that would be true. Shawn"

That's for dang sure.In fact I've never even HEARD of a bowhunter admit to wounding anything over 60 yards.Miss? just a few Kill? Absolutely,and a lot of them but it's funny nobody ever wounds at 60 or greater.....

It's getting deep in here......

27-Aug-16
"Brad a hell of a lot more are wounded at 20 yards then 100. Even if you gave a percentage I bet that would be true. Shawn"

That's for dang sure.In fact I've never even HEARD of a bowhunter admit to wounding anything over 60 yards.Miss? just a few Kill? Absolutely,and a lot of them but it's funny nobody ever wounds at 60 or greater.....

It's getting deep in here......

27-Aug-16
I wonder how many guys complaint have actually seen the show. It is very well done and respectful of the game and hunt from what I have seen. I'm always impress with folks who can do things better than I can.

27-Aug-16
Since everyone is worried about new hunters getting the wrong ideas on how far you should shoot at game, what is the max yardage you should shoot to be called a hunter and not a shooter? Now is it still hunting if I use a compound? Or does it need to be a recurve? Or a long bow? Can I buy it or does it need to be homemade? What about my arrows? Can I use carbon? Or does a real hunter use homemade wood arrows?

I am curious because some guys are calling him a shooter not a hunter. Do those same guys use compounds instead of a long bow? Long bow guys can say the same about guys that use a compound then.

As far as ethics those are personal. Or you have to follow the rules in a book if you want your name in it.

Can some of the nay sayers please tell me the bowsite ethical shot distance for elk, moose, caribou, whitetail, and muleys? I am really curious. They have different size kill zones, some are a lot more jittery then others, etc. So I'm guessing most of you have it figured out to the exact yard on what's ethical for each species.

Regards, Branden

27-Aug-16
Just to throw it out there-I don't really approve of taking shots over 50 yards with a bow. I certainly have no business shooting farther than 40 yards. With that said Howard Hill and Fred Bear took some really long shots back in the day and people consider them well respected, legendary hunters.

27-Aug-16
Wow tradholes over there and wheelholes here. Lol :-)

27-Aug-16
Branden,great question with an easy answer.

The maximum distance that you would shoot if you had an on the fence swing vote game commissioner tagging along.....

28-Aug-16
Every game animal has a weakness, and IMO, it's often that they can be called in. I've called Coues to within 15 feet and missed a nice buck at that distance. It's not that I made a bad shot per se, he just ducked the arrow.

Coues are known to be arrow evasive esp. at shorter range...

28-Aug-16
Correct me if I am wrong as I can no longer find my old copy. In the book/pamphlet "Hitting em like Howard Hill " one of Mr Hill's protégées tells the story of Howard Hill's first elk kill at 180 yards, with a long bow. He missed twice, one over and one under. Also recounted are 65 yard running shots on deer. Did he ever miss or wound an animal he shouldn't have shot at? Were those efforts documented but not shown ? Was he a clown , terrible hunter or long shot hero? I have been humbled by having missed and wounded at close range on shots I had practiced a million times and had also made on many animals. I had the hunting skills to get close and had the shooting skills to make the shot. And I blew it. Last week I got to 90 yds three times on two separate B&C antelope, but that is a shot I don't have in my bag and I watched them walk off. If someone can make that shot as consistently as most could at 30- 40 then he is a great shot and hunting ethically in my opinion. Being a good shot IS part of being a good hunter I disagree with the use of radios but then again I was wearing Sitka pants, with knee pads! I shoot a compound but also trad bows! A schizophrenic? A hypocrite? Or just an old guy who would like to see all this player hating tone down. Let's disagree without harsh and judgmental name calling. The antis are bonded as one force , we must be as well or it is over for our children and grandchildren.

The guy made the shots. His skill as a bow shooter well documented. I have no evidence to date he is anything other than a good guy and good hunter. No evidence he has wounded or missed as much as me or broken any laws. Seems reasonable on tv. He makes a living shooting a bow, cute wife and has killed 17 of the North American 25 before age 30. I only hate guys like that because they get to hunt more than me

28-Aug-16
It's amazing that so many guys on here feel the need to build themselves up to tearing others down. Congrats to Levi for a successful hunt. Same goes to everyone that puts in the work to get it done while carting a bow around.

28-Aug-16
Well a lot of guys out here in the West set up there bows for 60, 70, 80 yds and much farther...it's not necessary if you know how to hunt...every Western big game animal has a weakness that can be exploited for close and medium distance shots. And yes, that includes arguably the hardest of them all, Coues and Desert Mule Deer.

28-Aug-16
David Alford do you hunt with a longbow?

29-Aug-16
Well, damn, I had a 160" 5x5 muley at 70 yards yesterday. My 40 yard pin just wouldn't let me do it. Good for "Levi", but I'd bet he has some heart breaks.

29-Aug-16
But you will NEVER see, or hear about ANY of them...

29-Aug-16
David don't you know there's a max range on coues of 7 yards. I bet if you shot 60 yards at a feeding coues he wouldn't have ducked the string. This has been my point since the beginning of the first thread. How many on here won't take that 20-30 yard shot at coues? If you will yet you criticize Levi because "animals move" your a jealous hypocrite(not directed at you, David A).

29-Aug-16
You guys are missing the point. And some of you haven't read the entire thread before posting. The fact that the longer the shot distance, the greater the chance of a poor outcome, no matter how good a shot you are, is not the main issue.

I know many of you grew up being told that everything you do is great. But that doesn't mean we "hate" someone just because we don't agree with them.

My problem is, as a "celebrity hunter", he is misrepresenting what the majority of bowhunters know bowhunting to be. This can have negative consequences for all of us. And because he's chosen to present bowhunting in this way, he invites and should expect, criticism.

I also question his motives. Many of us have "lists" we would like to accomplish. For me, and I suspect most of us, pursuing these lists it's about experiencing all the varied hunting challenges they represent, not chasing fame and glory. When you take shots at 70, 80 or 100 yards, the target is irrelevant. You haven't defeated the animals defenses. You haven't met him on his terms. You may as well just set targets in various habitats, electronically range the distance, and fling away. Check off another one on your list when you make a hit. The "how" should matter more than just the end result.

29-Aug-16
Ziek. What's an acceptable distance then to shoot an animal?

How is paying a guide $5k to run a cat up a tree with hounds defeating its senses so you can shoot it out of a tree? How about paying a guide to bait for a month, showing up and having 4 bears come into the bait and shoot it from 20 yards?

There are so many hunts that are perfectly acceptable that take hardly any hunting skill. Shooting skill yes but not hunting skill.

Regards, Branden.

29-Aug-16
I have read every post in this thread , and myself I have been bowhunting close to 42 years . What has changed so much in this sport that some people find it necessary to criticize other people about the way they hunt or the shots they take . What also suprises me is how jealous people are of someone . I don't change the distances I shoot cause Levi shots animals at 80 yards , I just don't shoot those distances cause it is not me . But I am not going to sit here and put the guy down , know dought he is a hell of a shot and a great hunter .

29-Aug-16
Branden, I've already answered your first question, but I'll answer it again. You should shoot at whatever distance YOU are confident taking. That means the entire shot, INCLUDING judging the distance. Using a range finder to increase your shot distance beyond what you are confident without it, is cheating. This also takes care of the Howard Hill references.

I'm not going to debate the various methods to exploit the weaknesses of each individual species. Suffice it to say that's NOT the issue here.

29-Aug-16
I always thought shooting a turkey out of a blind was cheating! Although I don't call guys out on it! How about hunting in the rut? Isn't cheating?

Spot and stalk Is the hardest hunting you will ever do, especially non rut!

29-Aug-16
"Spot and stalk Is the hardest hunting you will ever do, especially non rut!"

Can you even call it a stalk if you take a 100 yard shot? More like spot and shoot.

29-Aug-16
If your hunting Coues in AZ spot and stalk, you may never get within 200 yards! BTW it was 73yards not a 100.

29-Aug-16
"You haven't defeated the animals defenses. You haven't met him on his terms."

Exactly what are an elk or coues terms? Sounds like we are all bringing a bow to a knife fight. ;)

29-Aug-16
The whole challenge of being a bow HUNTER is not to see how far you can shoot, it is to see how close you can get.

My nephew passed on a 6 x 6 last year at 4 yards. Now that's HUNTING.

29-Aug-16
Ziek do you use a compound or a longbow? Since a rangefinder is cheating isn't a compound bow? Do you use a rangefinder? What about carbon arrows? Unless everything you use is homemade then you haven't defeated the animal on his terms either. Because idk if you've noticed but animals don't use technology or anything else besides what God gave them. So please show me a picture of your homemade weapons that you defeat animals with on their terms. Stuff that is all natural and not made by somebody else. Your argument is ridiculous.

And killing a coues at 73 yards with a bow takes a heck of a lot more skill then shooting a cat out of a tree at 10 yards. Whether talking hunting or shooting skill.

29-Aug-16

29-Aug-16
"And killing a coues at 73 yards with a bow takes a heck of a lot more skill then shooting a cat out of a tree at 10 yards. Whether talking hunting or shooting skill."

Only if the cat was tracked with dogs wearing gps collars. :-)

29-Aug-16
Really 92 posts on this? Oh cripes I just did #93.

Shoot legal and what you can personally live with.

Including scrutiny over ethics.

That should do it. Next topic.

29-Aug-16
If we're in it for the challenge let's leave our calls at home.

29-Aug-16
I don't know about you guys, but the next deer I kill will be jumping out of a tree on to his back and taking it out with a homemade knife made from only raw materials. No tree stand, no ladders or any pre-manufactured items involved. Oh yeah, and I'm going to do it naked and barefoot as to not be accused of having any upper hand or advantage over the animal. Actually, scratch the knife that would be cheating!

29-Aug-16
Lungshot, do not laugh but I knew a gent from Cornucopia, Wi. that jump out of a tree with a knife and took out a buck in very deep snow back in 1938, the name was Wally Antonsen (Swede,nick name), saw the pics just several knife slashes thru the neck. He lived to be 94 yrs old, power utility man and was part of OSS back in WW11, a little guy but would break you hand with his grip.

29-Aug-16
Long shots short shots you guys complain about anything ,Levi shoots to far but fills all his tags and the next guy spears a bear at close range and thats wrong and critics bash him.

Levi is a very spiritual man who lives his life in the ways god laid out for us, A family man, A world class archer that makes his family a living shooting a bow and arrow. You really think you have a chance bringing home the bacon shooting your bow for a paycheck better get Levi to train ya. Most guys can't even bring home the bacon with your bow half the time because hogs are tough and require perfect shot placement.

Don't watch his show if you don't want to see great archery shots. stick to your prozac antidepressants and wonder why you sit in front of the computer being mister expert when he is.

30-Aug-16
Branden, I hunt with longbow, recurve, and will use a compound this year at least part of the time due to a hand injury. I've taken about a dozen mulies with trad. bows, avg. shot distance is about 20 yds.

Link, yes I admitted the Coues at 15 ft. ducked my arrow and he was on full alert looking up at me in my tripod. I acknowledge shooting at longer distances may help reduce this problem even though other guys have said they will duck the arrow at 50 yds. and farther. They are just wired. The buck I missed dipped so low, I think my arrow was two feet high. Impressive reaction!

30-Aug-16
Shooting an animal at 100 yards with anything is just killin. If you can see their eye lashes you may be hunting. I've been hunting elk with a bow since 2005, and have only managed to shoot one cow. I've had more bulls just out of range (50 yds) than I can remember, and I wouldn't trade those experiences for a 350 bull I didn't beat at his own game.

30-Aug-16
Again, what is their "game"? At what distance have I truly "beat" an elk? The ones that die at 40 are more special than the ones at 50 because I beat them at their own "game"? I get it I don't like killing anything other than coyotes with a rifle but it's more about the weapon not wether it's 20 or 70 yards.

30-Aug-16
You read this thread and you wonder why the hunting industry is in the shits , pretty said .

30-Aug-16
Wow.

Some people need to back away from all sources of media, take a cooler, enjoy a hunting season by themselves, and learn to worry about themselves for a little bit.

30-Aug-16
Casperx2! Lungshot using the tree would be an upper hand also you should be able to run it down then jump on its back!! LOL!! ;-)

30-Aug-16
I've been hunting elk with a bow since 2005

Holy cow, I got my first bow 1983!

30-Aug-16
Wtf...when I'm hunting and know I can make the shot, I take it. It's not even half the distance that Levi is comfortable with. That's 25 yards with a stickbow, I'm dam sure not going to risk spooking the animal trying to get to 15yards. My buddies that hunt with a compound are good out to 50yards. None of them are good enough to take 75 or 100 yards shots and they know it.

30-Aug-16
This is a stud. I think I read where the Viet Cong was drinking water and stood up at the shot and the bullet hit him in the throat. Got to know your limitation.

Carlos Hathcock, nicknamed the “White Feather,” focused on 7 characteristics that he thought made a good sniper. He told his fellow teammates they were:

“Being an excellent marksman, a good woodsman, emotionally stable so as not to be easily excited, smart and keenly observant, aware of his surroundings, good with a map and compass and patient.” During his career, he would be credited with 93 confirmed kills, a number which he heavily contest as he stated his count was near 300. His record-setting shot came at 2,500 yards (1.42 miles) against a Viet Cong insurgent, from his scope-mounted Browning M-2 .50 caliber machine gun,=. His record stood for 35 years.

30-Aug-16
Been hunting with a bow since 1965, just didn't get elk bit until 05

30-Aug-16
Why does everyone care how far the next guy shoots? A guy is dedicated to shooting and extends his range and he is a bad hunter???

30-Aug-16
Sounds like you have a man crush on Levi...or maybe just a thrill going up your leg ala Chris Matthews.

30-Aug-16
The kid was brushing his teeth and Carlos would of missed the shot had he not stood up while the bullet was on its way. Those long shots with a rifle are basically a trig question and the coriolus effect also has to be accounted for!! What I find funny is bad hits happen even with a rifle from a 100 yards and a bow from 10 yards. Could Levi of gut shot the Elk? Yup, could he have gut shot it at 15 yards? Yup!! Shawn

30-Aug-16
Not a crush, just sick of people complaining about long distance shooting because its not for them.

30-Aug-16
There was an entire thread dedicated to bashing Levi about shooting and elk in the heart, so I decided to lighten the mood about him. Doesn't seem like it worked too well. Seems like some of you guys are oblivious to the fact that someone can outshoot you?

30-Aug-16

30-Aug-16
The real question is: "Does he stand up for the National Anthem"? If so I am in the Levi fanboy club. If not, I am not impressed and don't care if you hit dimes all day at 200 yards, animals move, and 100 yards is too far. Furthermore, the guy must have a bionic eye to pick a spot at that distance.

30-Aug-16
100 is the new 50!

31-Aug-16
"Seems like some of you guys are oblivious to the fact that someone can outshoot you?"

and others to the fact that they use shooting and hunting interchangeably

31-Aug-16

• Sitka Gear