YZF-88 26-Aug-16
COLO 3-D 26-Aug-16
Treeline 26-Aug-16
YZF-88 26-Aug-16
TD 26-Aug-16
t-roy 26-Aug-16
TD 26-Aug-16
26-Aug-16
Fun day yesterday watching bucks establish dominance,spar and outsmart hunters (ok that wasn't fun). This is kind of a vent but also an tip of the hat to the smart animals we persue.

Put my dream buck to bed (huge typ 4x4) but he got up to switch beds mid morning like usual but he froze solid...for 20 min as another gasped for air climbing up an open face then cutting under me. That buck didnt twich a muscle the entire time. When the guy was out of sight...he bedded right back down. It was impressive how he kept his cool.

My turn! Due to wind, I had to cross the same exposed face he was looking at to get above in timber! It was partly cloudy so I waited in shadows and slowly crab clawed the open only when a cloud covered the sun. Five hours later it worked!

Now at 40 yards and arrow nocked. Just need him to stand up for a clean shot. No hurry. Wind perfect and steady. Relaxed. I already had the taxidermy form picked out in my head. Then his smaller companion gets up and starts meandering up hill. He pretty much stepped on me, freaked out and took the big guy with him.

It was a rough deal after a very long day but I proved stalking smart can be done in less than ideal conditions. I found him again still hunting but he heard me crash on rocks and crack a bow limb. Wish these pics did his size justice.

So the curse continues yet again but since my wife has a good elk tag that that is a higher priority for now.

26-Aug-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
This is him as he watched the hunter for 20 minutes.

26-Aug-16
very cool

26-Aug-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Check out those back forks.

26-Aug-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Here is a pic of him bedded. Wish I had a pic of him next to the other two bucks I wouldn't have hesitated to shoot either. Just no comparison.

I have so much respect for the guys that get it done year after year on big muleys.

26-Aug-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Here is a pic of him bedded. Wish I had a pic of him next to the other two bucks I wouldn't have hesitated to shoot either. Just no comparison.

I have so much respect for the guys that get it don year after year on big muleys.

26-Aug-16
That buck is a huge beast! I hope you get a chance to smoke him!

26-Aug-16
Smoker of a buck! Keep after him! He will probably stick tight in that area till he strips velvet.

26-Aug-16
Where is he going to go after he strips his velvet but before mid October? I have to help with an elk for the next couple weeks. Can't get back after him until late Sept/early October. This area is strictly strips of timber between rock slides and open faces of sage and small pine trees.

26-Aug-16
They are smart. I've seen bedded bucks laying so they are each facing opposite ways to keep an eye on things. Then one gets up to change position, stretch or get out of the sun and the other gets up as well, they turn 180 and bed.... both facing opposite ways yet again.

They like to use their scouts and guards too. Seen a big boy decide it was time to get up and go somewhere.... he goes over and hooks a smaller buck up out of his bed and force marches him out in the front of the group to take point....

You were close! Pretty cool.... sometimes it seems like the planets have to align to kill a good one.... You're in the mode now, you'll get a shot on him....

26-Aug-16
Beautiful buck! Utah?

26-Aug-16
Look for him in the thicker stuff after he's hard horn. They like to stay more in the open country in velvet, the brush hurts those tender antlers.

• Sitka Gear