Fuzzy 29-Aug-16
DonVathome 30-Aug-16
TK 30-Aug-16
elkmtngear 30-Aug-16
INbowdude 02-Sep-16
bentstick 02-Sep-16
EmbryOklahoma 03-Sep-16
28-Aug-16
What are some good recipes? Preferably one for the grill and one for the crockpot with lots of veggies (I have a big garden).

Simple better, dont want to spend 45 minutes in prep.

Thanks!

28-Aug-16
For chops on the grill:

Let sit for 10-15 minutes out from the fridge. Simply coat with olive oil, then season with garlic powder, and then with Montreal steak seasoning - simple, but will eat like candy. Grill and put a bit of a char on it at the end. Add more or same seasoning, if desired, while grilling.

For pulled pork:

Butt, shoulder or rump roast. Don't trim the fat until after cooking, no need to brown first. Set in crock pot, fat-side up.

Cover bottom of crock pot with a bed of chopped onion and chopped garlic. Add a cup+ of liquid (choices): chicken broth, apple juice, sprite/7up, root beer. I use half apple juice and half root beer.

Rub: tablespoon chili powder, tablespoon kosher salt, half-tablespoon cumin, tablespoon brown sugar, half tablespoon cinnamon. Mix together and thoroughly rub on and into pork.

Cook on lowest (longest) setting, usually 6-8 hours. Strain onion/garlic out of liquid, then add the onion/garlic back to the pulled pork. Use forks/knife to pull pork and trim fat - add bbq sauce (usually two+ cups).

If you like it spicy just add tabasco (or your choice) to bbq sauce. Serve on favorite fresh bun or roll.

Enjoy!

28-Aug-16
For hams or shoulders,1 cup apple cider vinegar,1 cup of water, season meat to liking, I use garlic salt. put in roasting pan add vinegar ,water cook @ 300 Deg until it falls off the bone. Forrest

28-Aug-16
Get some Stubbs Pork Marinade. Fork tenderize and marinate one of the loins...grill with indirect heat to internal temp of 155 degrees.

My Wife was afraid to try Wild Pork until I did these... now she's begging me to kill more pigs!

For ribs, low and slow in foil with a little apple cider vinegar (2 to 3 hours)...then finish on grill with sauce.

Lately I've been making pulled pork from the hams and shoulders (similar recipe to wild1), haven't found a need to grind any of my wild pig.

Best of Luck, Jeff

29-Aug-16
Crockpot roast.

Rub with a good dry rub, or Tony Cachers seasoning, add a tablespoon of oil to preheated crockpot.

Place roast in pot and add a 12 ounce room temperature beer.

Cook on high 3-4 hours and add 1 large peeled and quartered Vidalia onion, 3 large peeled and thick sliced potatoes over top and reduce to low for an hour to 2 hours.

29-Aug-16
Here is one for you Don. Being we kill a lot of hogs down here in S Tx this is a favorite. You will need a smoker for this. I like to use apple, cherry, or pecan for smoking. This is for a whole ham. Pork Rub 1/4 cup Cayenne or a little less if don't want to spicy 1/4 " Pepper 1/8" " Salt 1/4 " Onion Powder 1/4 " Garlic Powder Mix together and rub on ham and let sit 4 hrs.

Cook at 225 degrees 1hr per lb 3 hrs before it is done coat entire ham w brown sugar and wrap tight w heavy duty foil. Once done remove bone and excess fat then pour juice over meat. I have to warn you it is easy to make a pig of yourself eating this.

29-Aug-16
Chops on the grille:

Place chops in a zip-loc bag with Italian dressing. Let marinate for a few hours in fridge(preferably overnight). Grille on med-low heat until center reaches 150 degrees. Take off, let rest 10 minutes, enjoy.

29-Aug-16
TK bear is great done like that too

30-Aug-16
Good info guys, since it has to be cooked longer then I like (mediumish) is it ok on grill? My first though is it would be dry? Thinking crockpot - but dry meat seems to still taste dry in crock pot even if dripping wet (never figured out how that happens!).

Thanks!

30-Aug-16
Most wild hog is not dry so crock pot would be ok.

30-Aug-16
Don,

Loin is nice and moist if cooked as described in my post above...I quick-sear it first all around, then put it on an elevated rack, and turn the flame all the way down. Close the lid, and let it go for maybe 25 minutes.

As I said, I go for an internal temp of 155 degrees.

I wrap it in foil immediately when I pull it off the grill...slice, re-wrap, and serve as needed.

Best of Luck, Jeff

02-Sep-16
I need to update my cookbook entitled, "Swine and Dine"

02-Sep-16
I like this chile verde recipe for older hogs: http://honest-food.net/2012/09/27/wild-boar-chile-verde-recipe/

http://honest-food.net has a lot of great recipes, some are a bit more prep time, but its a site that I'll look up when I'm not sure how I want to cook something.

03-Sep-16
Heck, I might actually process a pig this year instead of dragging it to the fields for the buzzards and yotes. Some of those recipes sound good!

• Sitka Gear