BOHNTR 03-Sep-16
31-Aug-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Mr. Automatic does it again...wow!

31-Aug-16
Way to go Randy!!!! Awesome buck!

31-Aug-16
He is definItely Mr. Consistent. What a buck!

31-Aug-16
Wow!.. Can't the man shoot a hard horned deer for once?

31-Aug-16
Wow!.. Can't the man shoot a hard horned deer for once?

31-Aug-16

spike78's Link
Doesn't really impress me. Read this article and tell me Randy puts any scouting or effort in these hunts. One of his bucks was glassed the night before by the guides and Randy went in for the kill the next day. If Randy did these DIY from start to finish I'd be impressed. Scouting is 90% and the hunting is 10%.

31-Aug-16
Agree with spike78 100%. Nothing to be impressed with.

31-Aug-16
I love it when guys know everything about a hunter after reading an article about him.

31-Aug-16
Unbelievable. Both Randy Ulmer's ability to consistently get it done and the sour- grapes envy exhibited by wanna-be's suffering from small penis syndrome.

31-Aug-16
^^^^ Exactly

31-Aug-16
Personally I'm more impressed by the guides, they get it done.

31-Aug-16
Haters are going to hate regardless if he hunted with a guide or not. Admire the animal for once guys! If the guy gets his rocks off shooting big deer with a guide and he is living his dream. Good for him! Gees

At least he is hunting with a bow. Do any of you know how much scouting it takes to kill a trophy? How much time it takes away from your family? You obviously have to either live in the state, or have a ton of vacation time? Do any of you even have a diy trophy?(magazine worthy)? If so were you hunting alone? Anyone help?

Love the sport, and try to look at things with an open mind.

31-Aug-16
Blacktail Bob +1! Although, I understand if you scrape off some of that velvet, dry it and boil it in some tea it may be able help with that syndrome.

31-Aug-16
I'm with Blacktail Bob here. . . I can't state it better than his bluntness

And I bet Mr. Ulmer doesn't care about whether anyone else is impressed by him. I wouldn't

31-Aug-16
Randy is a BAAAAD man! You know how I know? Because look at all the haters^^^. You know you have truly arrived when half the people hate you, and the other half envies you, but they ALL respect you. Heavy is the head that wears the crown...

31-Aug-16
+1 Bob. What a beast!

31-Aug-16
+100 Bob. It blows my mind that guys on this site and others are always so quick to belittle the success of others. Be happy for Randy and what he's achieved, he's earned it. Appreciate the animal and the hunter that took him. I've said this before and I'll say it again, once you start to be happy and celebrate the success of others you'll start to find much more happiness in your own life, be it success or failure.

Congrats on another amazing buck Randy! You are the man as far as I'm concerned when it comes to mule deer!

31-Aug-16
You know, it's not like Randy Ulmer posted that photo here to brag and say "look at how great I am".

From what I have "read" he kills plenty of good animals in AZ on his own.

The guy has worked hard in his profession and in his hobbies. He's put himself in a position to be able to buy landowner tags and all levels of "guided" hunts.

Good for him and what a great buck.

Thanks for posting Midwest, I can wade thru all the hate.

31-Aug-16
I've never heard anything negative about Ulmer, and I can't say that about many of these "professional hunters". I spent half a day last weekend watching poor shot selection and just poor shots on the outdoor shows. I've not seen that from Randy.

31-Aug-16
Kudos to Randy. Beautiful Buck. Most of these whining wanna be jealous hunters couldn't carry his jockstrap.

31-Aug-16
Good for Mr. Ulmer! I remember shooting around him in the IBOs years ago and that guy can flat shoot a bow and arrow! He's also an extremely accomplished bowhunter. Hats off to him. Lots of sour grapes on some of these threads...

31-Aug-16
I love it when guys know everything about a poster after reading a post from him.

kind of as silly as when guys know everything about a hunter after reading an article about him.

31-Aug-16
Wow. What a massive deer. And he does it every year and in several states. Impressive

31-Aug-16
Statement of the year... Bob ^^^^^^^^^ :)

31-Aug-16
I never said I hated Randy nor do I think he's not a good Hunter. It just cracks me up on how all these people look at celebrity hunters like gods. They simply have the time, money, and connections to be put in a magazine with these trophys. I have much more envy for the Joe shmoes that get it done DIY. Send anyone of these celebrities out here to the North East and they wouldn't know where to begin.

31-Aug-16
"...kind of as silly as when guys know everything about a hunter after reading an article about him."

Or one post. I guess it goes along with interpreting a first impression...

Depending on what is going on in life will depend on how you process others activities. That's just the way it is. And, it is ok to disagree, really, it is. I wouldn't call disagreeing a "haters" trait.

It is a dandy buck though.

31-Aug-16
spike78 Your mistaken, The northeast has nothing on the west!

31-Aug-16
spike78 Your mistaken, The northeast has nothing on the west!

31-Aug-16
Junior you are correct, we have no elk, antelope, mule deer, etc. I'm itching to go out west. Any deer out here is well earned with limited public land that is hammered by all, low deer numbers, no ag land to grow giants. We do have some big white tails here and there though.

31-Aug-16
Bou-I'm not basing anything on an article. I know (knew) him and know how hard he works and what he puts into his shooting and hunting.

31-Aug-16
Congratulations to a fine gentleman and an amazing animal!

31-Aug-16
Ditto Blacktail Bob.

31-Aug-16
I remember a story from Pete Shepley. Seems he was giving a presentation on hunting, and was talking about his desert bighorn. Some clown out of the crowd said if he had Pete's money, he could kill big animals too.

Pete offered to buy him a desert bighorn sheep hunt. If he killed a sheep, great. If he didn't kill a sheep, he owed Pete double the cost of the hunt. The man shut up.

Just because you have a great guide doesn't mean it is automatic. You still have to get up there and get the job done. Randy does it year after year, guide or no guide.

I don't see him as a "celebrity" hunter, I seem him as a darn good hunter that has been very successful. I congratulate him for his success and only wish I could tag along sometime!

31-Aug-16
How long is his arm holding the antler.

31-Aug-16
i think the guides should do presentations on the hunting aspect. The celebrities could give presentations on keeping their camo bright and clean, sitting comfy in the stand the guide put up, backing out until morning on every shot animal, and looking pretty at 5 am.

31-Aug-16
Year after year another photo of giant next to the legend himself! He has had an impressive run. Congradulation to RANDY. Has anyone seen a photo or been to his place and seen all these deer he has shot over the years all in one place? That has got to be one BIG room or big pile . he has got to have over twenty or more of these giants by now ) >>>------->

31-Aug-16
Randy, Congrats on the on another "once in a lifetime" monster mulie!!!

+1000 for what Bob said.

"Send anyone of these celebrities out here to the North East and they wouldn't know where to begin."

I agree that some of these TV celebrities are not good hunters but I have to disagree with you about someone like Randy Ulmer. You can put him in any part of this country and he is going to come out more often than not with a top end trophy. The difference between people like Randy Ulmer and most is that they have a desire to succeed that most here cant even comprehend. Most think and say "If I had the time, money, blah blah blah I could do the same things" Well who is stopping you from making that money or finding that time? If there is a will there is a way, some peoples will to succeed is simply greater than others.

Randy congrats again on one hell of a buck and I wish you nothing buck luck the rest of your season.

31-Aug-16
I'm w/ standswittaknife...big animal and cool but I have little interest in killing deer still in velvet

31-Aug-16
Wow you guys have to much time, that Buck is a dream deer!!! I don't care if Elvis had killed it .....it's the Deer that's incredible !!!

Don't forget why we have this site, not for BS

31-Aug-16
Awesome buck!! Congrats Randy...he is in a league of his own...guides or no guides imo.

Matt

31-Aug-16
Randy is one of the best bowhunters I have ever met He gets it done. He goes out of his way to help other hunters. Any one that says anything bad about him is a dumb ass. If its so easy go out and do it your self.

31-Aug-16
Nice buck, congrats to Randy. That being said, I do feel like we need to see more DIY photos/articles with regular animals that most of us hunt and kill, and less guided trophy animals that most of us will never get a chance at. Not taking anything away from Randy, but I give myself more credit for the doe I shot DIY last year than I give to someone put on a huge buck. I think this is what most of the "haters" are saying also.

31-Aug-16
Another great buck! I have nothing but respect for Mr Ulmer. Totally enjoyed his elk hunting seminar at the last P&Y convention. Job well done!

31-Aug-16
Impressive animal. As per usual for Randy. Looks like he ten ringed him too.

31-Aug-16
Congrats Randy on yet another great buck! I'm sure this seasons bull pics will be en route soon.

A second Kudos on his P &Y elk hunting seminar....very open with sharing ideas and strategies.

I spoke to him for a few minutes at the convention....humble, classy and one heck of a hunter....

Mark

31-Aug-16
Actually never met but if I did I would want to shake his hand and congratulate him on job well done hell of a buck.Don't understand the negativity.Lewis

31-Aug-16
Bigdan +1!!!

31-Aug-16
I've met him and the way he treated my very young sons at the booth he was in at the IBO worlds made a HUGE impression on me. He dropped right down on his knees and chatted with my two sons like long lost friends, signed the IBO program and asked if they were getting other signatures, they said they wanted to, so he took them over to a group of 3D Pros, introduced them, chatted them up as archers and upcoming hunters and got about 10 of them to sign the book. My kids remember that, and him, to this day, and they are in their mid 20's now.

He's one of the good guys.

31-Aug-16
Dear Lord! You the man, Randy!

31-Aug-16
Every year there is a picture of Ulmer with a GIANT muley.

Every year there are "bow hunting gods" saying they are not impressed.

The following year there is another picture of Ulmer with a GIANT muley.

The following year the "bow hunting gods" fail to throw up a pic of their own, yet again.

Repeat in 2017, 2018, 2019................

31-Aug-16
Congrats to Randy. I bet even his nerves were rattled as he came to full draw on that one.

31-Aug-16
Scoot, let's clear some things up here. I am far from crabby and usually always in a good mood. I never said Randy couldn't shoot some big bucks on his own. Do I think these celebrities would be able to kill a lot of impressive animals with no guide and without public land access, hell no. As far as penis envy, who wouldn't want it just a tad bigger. I've had no complaints, at least not to my face. I'm not jealous, good for them to make hunting their livelihood. I'm still far more impressed with the caliber of guys on here then any tv Hunter.

31-Aug-16
Way to go Randy!!! Consistently taking truly wild fully mature Muley's year after year is nothing short of impressive. A successful Bowhunt for a fully mature wild deer is very special and requires overcoming an almost endless number of game-over obstacles (many unforeseen). Guide or no guide, very few hunters possess the stealth, stalking ability, knowledge of the species in this environment, and shooting ability under field conditions to get it done on these ghosts time-after-time. This is very different from many of the guided hunts on managed ranches we see on many hunting shows where deer are used to encountering people – and, that's still poses often overwhelming challenges when bowhunting (by far, most are still unsuccessful in taking fully mature bucks).

Although I do not know Randy personally, I know a few people who do. All speak very highly of him as a hunter and man, and he is lauded as an archery/bowhunting luminary. I truly enjoy sharing in the success of Randy, Jake, Ricardo, and many others – after all “that which is hardest to do, is sweetest to see done.” As a bowhunter, I’m personally very grateful for the few fully mature trophy deer I’ve been fortunate to take over many years in the field.

BTW – Pat set this site up for us to exchange info and help each other to better enjoy the sport we all enjoy. As a long-time member I used to post regularly – sharing hunting success, experience, and insights. However, more and more, posts are hijacked by naysayers with little or no actual experience in the subject of the discussion, or folks trying to pimp a product or business. We’d all be better off if we focused on supporting/helping one another.

31-Aug-16
I don't think anyone is saying Randy is a bad guy,he seems like a nice guy but have never met him. It is obvious that in today's hunting world that if you have the cash to spend you can pay folks to put you on some great animals, and good for those who chose to pay the bucks. It seems every year Randy ends up with some amazing deer and he has found a great spot to hunt. Now it's been mentioned that celebs hunters could do it on their own, i would be willing to bet very few could do it as consistently as they do with a guide. Would Lee and Tiffany kill the quality of bucks they do if they weren't raising them? Doubt it. Would any TV celeb Hunter kill the quality of animals they do if they didn't use guides on every hunt? Doubt it. Once again I have to agree with spike78, the DIY guys on here impress me more. There was a story by a bowsiter and at this time I can't remember his name but he just wrote about his elk adventure where he alone walked 35 miles packing a elk out , that's impressive, very few including myself could do that.

31-Aug-16
FYI , the title is " the high and lows of elk hunting" idyllwildarcher is the Hunter/writer. Go read his post and you'll know what's impressive.

31-Aug-16
I've met Randy and we talked mule deer like two regular guys talking mule deer. If I didn't know who he was I'd have thought he was just some guy off the street ogling big deer mounts. He never mentioned who he was, or that he had a giant one mounted right next to the one we were drooling over.

Good for him. We would all do what he does if we could.

31-Aug-16
Before guys go bashing him that he doesn't do any DIY hunts you should do your homework first.

31-Aug-16
Well done again Mr. Ulmer. I would sure like to know if he is still using his Ulmer edge mechanicals still. They fly so true and leave a great blood trail, i know trophy taker was making them but don't see them in their catalog. Anyone know if their being made still ?

31-Aug-16
So what the sour grape crew is saying is Mule Deer are so easy to kill that all you have to do is put one to bed. Wake up. Walk over and shoot it.

I'll stick to my whitetails that spook when you even think about them.

Glad to know Mule Deer are as dumb as some say here.

(BTW Above comment was meant to be sarcastic for those who don't get sarcasm)

31-Aug-16
The man is a flat out predator !! He is on such a different level it is scary!

Congrats on a fine trophy . Can't wait to see this year Bull! Hunt

31-Aug-16
Randy is topshelf hunter and person, congrats to him.

The amount of assholes that bash on here is growing daily. It unreal that they think they can build themselves up by tearing others down.

31-Aug-16
I don't understand the need of some to make negative comments about someone else's success. Very small minds.

No one cares if you're impressed or not.

31-Aug-16
For anyone absolutely wanting to bash a "celebrity bowhunter", there is plenty of ammunition on the outdoor channels every single day. I don't see Randy Ulmer as one who deserves any criticism. And, for those of you who think it's wrong to look up to someone for what they've accomplished, well, I'd look up to you too if you could do what the likes of Ulmer, Adams, etc. have accomplished. I don't care how much money you have, it's still up to you at the moment of truth to get it done. I've killed a whole lot of deer, a couple caribou, bears, etc., but I fully admit that I'm not as good as Ulmer, and I'm not the least bit embarrassed about it. Some people are just really good at what they do, and you shouldn't begrudge them for that.

31-Aug-16
I've never hunted the Northeast. I probably never will because I try to avoid real challenging critters. I like hunting the dumbest most plentiful animals I can find.

That said, what is it about the Northeast that makes hunting there so much more of a challenge?

31-Aug-16
Beast of a buck. To me it's ugly but it's a beast. I'd shoot it in a heart beat.

31-Aug-16
I'm with Bob and Dan 100%.

31-Aug-16
I've met him and my personal take is he is a very generous humble man.

I would like to learn more about his mental training when he is on the stalk. Guided or not he has incredible discipline consistently stalking and killing these monsters.

And Bob, thanks for telling it like it is. too much negativity when nothing but congratulations were in order.

Way to go Randy!

31-Aug-16
These deer don't get big by being stupid. Maybe a guide finds them heck maybe I find them. As a life long mulie hunter I can tell you just cause you found them doesn't mean you going to kill one. You better be at the top of your game because that deer is everyday of his life to get that big. Just remember our season is pretty short but he is in season everyday of his life to some predator. Hats off to your Randy because you truly are a top predator.

31-Aug-16
Got to make a good stalk and shot no matter who spotted the animal.

31-Aug-16
Awesome buck! I know a number of Randy's bucks were guide by Greg Krogh. That guy is an animal in finding some of these animals. He find some crazy stuff! Randy is a killing machine. He killed a bighorn sheep in Colorado this year too. DIY

31-Aug-16
Real nice buck congratulations, your probably sick of hearing that but a lot of young and old hunters look up to you and they should.

31-Aug-16
I think Randy needs to do the public a favor and provide us with a video walk through of his trophy room and spend five minutes talking about the hunt of each of the animals. The gentlemen is extremely accomplished and I have followed him since I was a young lad just starting out. Mule Deer is my passion so he was always someone I looked up to.

I couldn't even imagine getting the opportunity to sit and chat with him over beers about his life and hunting.

There are those who dream about it; there are those who live it.

Congrats again Randy!!!

31-Aug-16
Blacktail Bob, I've followed your stories and seen the bucks you have taken with all your hard work. I have no doubt you could take some nice bucks in the north east, the celebrity hunters never come this way for good reason. Why people are offended by what I said is beyond me. I have no doubt that any buck stalked in open country is no easy task. I'm sure Randy is very good at shooting and stalking. All I'm saying is that when your placed in great areas with great bucks you have a way better looking photo album. I'm not tooting my horn as I do not think I'm one of the greats. I'm just saying their are a lot of average joes on this site alone that should be more so in the lime light than some of these celebs. If that offends anyone then you are missing my point.

31-Aug-16
I agree that it would be nice to see him post a hard-horn muley of this caliber.

31-Aug-16
LMAO!!!

I appreciate this thread.

That picture is so fake! He's sitting, like, eight feet behind the deer. Who would want to shoot a deer like that with its lacking symmetry? It's got little bubbles instead of a right eye guard or brow tine. That drop tine is just way out of balance. Doesn't anyone pay attention to the composition of their pictures? And c'mon...old school hat, old school face paint and KUIU?

I am a surly bazterd right now and when I opened this up, I thought, "Hey. Nice buck." I offer my congratulations.

I made up that other stuff.

31-Aug-16
A lot of his trophy mounts are on display at the Arizona Archery Club in North Phoenix. I'm guessing he ran out of room at home a long time ago.

31-Aug-16
I understand the argument that 95% of trophy hunting is locating trophy animals, and the fact he has a lot of help doing so is a huge benefit. It does eliminate much of the legwork. Is stalking and shooting an animal that someone else located for you as much of an accomplishment as someone doing it totally themselves? I don't know. As much as he hunts, I doubt he has time to do the legwork for every hunt. I'm sure he is talented and smart enough to do so if he had the time.

He is just in a different hunting situation than most of us. Not better, or worse, just different.

I'll be grinning ear to ear if I shoot a doe in a few weeks. Happiness is a personal thing.

31-Aug-16
My first thought when reading the title of this thread was "I wonder how many posts it will be before someone starts slinging negatives."

Congrats to the first five posters and certainly to Randy!

31-Aug-16
Congrats Randy! Awesome deer.

31-Aug-16
wowsa, what a magnificent once in a lifetime deer!!! Congrats to Randy Ulmer!

31-Aug-16
wow its tines are as big around as Randy's head

31-Aug-16
Great buck taken by a great bowhunter. Anyone who has followed Randy Ulmer's adventures knows that he is definitely the real deal. Very nice guy as well.

31-Aug-16
Congrats to Randy, I do believe he has worked hard to have what he does, good for him. I laugh at these threads because some people have to try and bring others down. It is like guys busting Stan Potts chops for being a celebrity hunter, funny thing is he was killing bigger and better whitetails before he became "famous" He killed 3 200" bucks before most people had ever even heard of him. Shawn

31-Aug-16
Phenomenal Buck Randy, a HUGE congrats!

31-Aug-16
One of these days Randy is going to write a book REALLLY laying out how he achieves his results year after year. Maybe most of the rest of us could never do it for a variety of reasons. I guarantee it isn't just lots of eyes in the field in prime property finding a monster. Even with that, we know it isn't that easy to get on bucks that have eluded predators over long lives. How he successfully arrows true wildland 'once-in-a-lifetime' bucks year after year boggles the mind. All I can say is he's done it again. Congratulations!

31-Aug-16

spike78's Link
For anyone interested in shooting a monster muley here is where Randy goes. His guide ain't to shabby as he has many in the books as well.

31-Aug-16
Randy and Greg are friends. So before you start knocking Randy down, he's helped locate other animals for Gregs clients as well. Wow, some people... I used to travel with Randy when we both shot for HCA. You'll not find a better person anywhere, and to see someone jealous of his accomplishments is just sad. Seriously, get off your high horse. He didn't was a guide for his Colorado hunts, and he helped his nephew kill a great buck as well...

31-Aug-16
Just because someone points out something valid, doesn't mean they're jealous or envious - that's just so simple-minded. Maybe some guys just like to present another part of the story, especially if it's legit. Quit using "jealousy" and "envy", like you're a qualified psychiatrist and know what's in someone's head you've never met.

Just because someone uses a high-priced guide, or hunts private land, doesn't make them a marginal hunter. Maybe he's fortunate, maybe it's through hard-work, maybe it's something else altogether.

I personally think he's an amazing mule deer bow hunter and a talented archer.....with the right connections.

31-Aug-16
Lots of people have time and money. Randy has unparalleled success. Big time congrats to him, he does what others cannot do.

Interesting how some people talk about how easy it is to kill something out west even though to this point they're still only "itching to get there."

Personally I've heard the NE is the easiest place to kill a whitetail lol

31-Aug-16
Wow to the buck and to the guys that feel that they need to belittle others accomplishments. Guides or not.

Who cares? I don't know the guy but I can be happy for him. These are the same guys who would be borrow and steal to have an opportunity at half the Bucks he passes.

It seems like these days everyone is a cry baby.

31-Aug-16
For the last time I'm not putting any of these known hunters down. Everyone is so mesmerized by all these trophy animals but the fact of the matter is that you take a handful of guys on this site and put them with great guides and in prime areas and they would have photos like above. I never said Randy is not a good Hunter and I certainly did not say he was not a great guy. Their is quite a bit of over reacting going on.

31-Aug-16
Apauls, come here and let me know when your tired of seeing squirrels lol. I don't know what NE state your talking about but it sure ain't mine. I did happen to live down south for a couple years and I can tell you after that the NE is not the easiest. I see your from Manitoba so you may have the same amount we do.

31-Aug-16
"Everyone is so mesmerized by all these trophy animals but the fact of the matter is that you take a handful of guys on this site and put them with great guides and in prime areas and they would have photos like above"

That's just it....nobody has but him!! Shoulda,woulda coulda.....Delta will take you from Mass to the best mulie hunting you can find if you make it a priority.....

No telling how many blown opportunites he has had on bigger or equal deer in his career......

Will ushers opportunity........It doesn't take a tremendous anything to stack up any trophy species ...just simple will and financial discpline

31-Aug-16
Genesis, that is a good point. I have hunted in states around mine but I have yet to spend a lot of money on a hunt out west. Who knows, maybe I will retire there. Funny how I can compliment guys on this site and still get bashed. As far as jealous, absolutely not as I know everything I have yet to do is on me. In all fairness to the celebrity hunters I'm sure it wears them down traveling that much. I talked to a pro fisherman once and he said it's not as glamorous as it seems with constant traveling, waking up early, don't see the family, seminars after the season. I respect what they do, I just think people put them on a higher pedestal than the average joe.

31-Aug-16
Always enjoy seeing what Randy Ulmer kills each season. What a great buck.

31-Aug-16
I'd hunt like Randy if I could - my only gig at him at the tremendous long arming that isn't necessary with such a huge buck

31-Aug-16
Any one can find a good deer. But putting and arrow in it is not easy to think 90% of the hunt is the guide . your nuts

31-Aug-16
All I know is that I've hunted mule deer more times than about any other species except Sitka Blacktail, Black Bear and Mountain Goat. I don’t have any photos like the ones of Mr. Ulmer with his great trophies. I can’t help but admire a guy who does it year after year like he does. If it was just that he's a top echelon shooter, that would be one thing, but you can’t accumulate a series of trophies like he has with only shooting skills. Mr. Ulmer is a true top echelon Bowhunter.

31-Aug-16
Randy Ulmer never disappoints.

31-Aug-16
"I don’t have any photos like the ones of Mr. Ulmer with his great trophies."

-BTB

Yeah, but you DO have them of Blacktails and have done it year in year out and without a guide. I think that's what these guys are saying. I don't think they're hating on Mr Ulmer as much as people suggest, nor envious, but rather saying that they're just not impressed by the result of a hunt with a guide.

Another impressive deer. Grats to him!

31-Aug-16
Another giant mulie, congrats to him.

31-Aug-16
How many guys who aren't as impressed that he's done what he's done with a guide have actually hunted public land mule deer with a guide or hunted mule deer period?

As Big Dan points out finding them isn't that difficult if you're in a good area, killing them however is a whole different deal and once the stalk is on the guide isn't going to help you much.

Randy hunts public land in NV that anyone on this site can hunt if they know where it is and can draw the tag.

Word is, from a very reliable source, that once Randy finds the big buck he wants, it may take several days but it's all over but the picture taking. He's that patient and that good.

31-Aug-16
"I don't think they're hating on Mr Ulmer as much as people suggest, nor envious, but rather saying that they're just not impressed by the result of a hunt with a guide."

Then why post anything at all? What was the motive? If you're not impressed, show some class and move on. And who said this buck was killed with a guide? He's killed a pile of big animals without a guide as well.

31-Aug-16
Guide or no guide you still have to execute, there are no guarantees. That's what Randy and others like him do, execute consistently.

31-Aug-16
Yea if you have nothing good to say. Don't say nothing. When I see gun kills posted on bowsite I just move on and say nothing.

31-Aug-16
"Genesis, that is a good point. I have hunted in states around mine but I have yet to spend a lot of money on a hunt out west."

There is a famous quote, "Why do those who know the least know it the loudest?"

Why are folks expending so much energy arguing with a person who has admitted they do not hold an informed opinion on the matter?

Congrats to Ulmer, he is a heck of a bowhunter - whether people with no frame of reference understand that or not.

31-Aug-16
No doubt chasing big mule deer with a bow is tough duty, you definitely have to be dedicated and determined. And if you are, you'll eventually catch a big buck slipping up and be complacent at the wrong time for him.

I've watched shows in the past when hunting tv was not that big yet and watched people like Randy U. And Dwight S. mess up big time. It doesn't always work out.

Everyone has those kinds of stories I'm sure.

01-Sep-16
Year in-year-out some years multiple states----->unreal bow hunter for sure.

Good luck, Robb

01-Sep-16
Congrats to Randy and his consistency is amazing regardless of whether he uses a guide or not. Equally impressive is his reputation of humility and kindness. I don't see any harm in civil judgement of others' accomplishments and it seems to be human nature. I'm taking a guided rifle mule deer hunt this fall and I'll sleep pretty well regardless of what some on this forum might think of that.

01-Sep-16
Blacktail x 2. Congrats to the great Dr.

01-Sep-16
"When I see gun kills posted on bowsite I just move on and say nothing."

Good one Dan. Although I may be a slow learner, I feel the same way.

01-Sep-16
Outstanding buck.... Congrats.

01-Sep-16
Randy is NOT a "celebrity". He is a flat out killer, and anyone who knows me, knows I don't have a ounce of hero worship in me. Best bow hunter ever in my opinion. No one else is even close...

01-Sep-16
I wonder why he needed a guide???

01-Sep-16
Bob it took me a while to come around I got reamed by some here. I also don't like live hunts that the author does not say what kind of hunt it is. But its best to zip it and not reply.

01-Sep-16
It's interesting how people get so upset when someone has an opinion different than theirs. It's kind of a strange phenomenon where we think everyone should be exactly like us, which makes no sense. People are all different and we have different points of view. It's what makes us grow and learn.

How someone takes an animal matters. It matters to all of us. The level of effort put into a hunt matters. It matters to us personally on our own hunts, as well as to how we form our opinion of other hunters. There's nothing wrong with people questioning another hunter's level of effort involved in a hunt, or that it changes their opinion of that hunter.

Nate Simmons hikes up into the high country on his own, public land. Kills giant mule deer with a bow. Also misses giant mule deer sometimes. Does it all himself. I do respect someone like that more than someone who pays others to locate trophy deer for them.

01-Sep-16
...as bowsite consumes itself.

01-Sep-16
Totally agree with BTB and BigDan. I guess we're the silent minority...on Bowsite. Mike

01-Sep-16
I grew up reading Ulmer's articles on shooting. Really helped me a lot! But how does one determine best bowhunter? I have always thought it interesting that people feel the need to declare the "best" when it comes to hunting. IMO hunting is not a sport, it isn't about scores. But then again who doesn't like seeing another hunter's success?

01-Sep-16
Theres two letters that would make my kness go weak and maybe I would pass out. One is a letter saying I just drew Montana breaks bighorn sheep tag and the other is a letter saying I just won a mule deer hunt with Randy Ulmer.

01-Sep-16
As soon as I read the title I wondered how long it would be before some clucks start bashing him....well that didn't take long. Amazing buck

01-Sep-16
For the first time in my life....I'm embarrassed to be from the North East

01-Sep-16
Shug, luckily your from the bottom of the Northeast. And with NJ deer numbers it ain't like up here. Just busting you.

01-Sep-16
From now on, everyone please post whether your kill was guided or DIY so we know whether to be impressed and respect you or not.

To see the rules for "True DIY", you'll need to see TBM's old thread.

Thank you.

01-Sep-16
I'm not sure anyone has questioned Randy's shooting ability, character, or if he's a class act or not. Where the wires are crossed is in the manner in which the buck was taken. It's apparent Randy had nothing to do in the locating or scouting of this deer. He was notified that a buck fitting the characteristics of some of the monsters he's shot in the past had been located, and upon arrival was guided to the general area. From there he went into hunt mode and got the job done. (All paraphrasing aside).

What some are maybe questioning is if this is an ethical form of hunting (in their own definition)? It does lose it's luster in that this deer wasn't shot with the excitement that usually accompanies the taking of a trophy class animal from "Joe Shmo" hunter. I'm sure Randy was elated to some extent, but more for the magazine article or tv video yet to be produced. Which is what Randy does for a living. No harm in that.

Another thought could be, many have ventured on to the bowsite over the years asking for advise on where to hunt, which areas hold more mature game, etc... Some get very general advice, but it usually comes with many posts stating "by a pair of boots and do the homework yourself. That's why it's called hunting!" Very few get phone calls with the coordinates on where and when to show up....

Congrats to Randy. It is an awesome buck!

01-Sep-16
I guess at least a few get what I meant. Midwest, like him or not his elk hunt was impressive and nobody can deny him that.

01-Sep-16
I wish he would of been wearing an HECS suit, and the backpack ozonics contraption. I also wish he would of made the shot at over 101 yards, to one up that stud Levi.

01-Sep-16
Spike, have you even met Randy, let alone hunted with him? Have you ever stood beside him when he's shooting?

Usually the first guy to leave camp and the last one back, he'ds killed a true truckload of great animals on his own.

Fred Bear hunted with guide sometimes.

Yes, he hunts primo areas at primo times and pays for the privilege. Good for him, he's worked hard at basically two careers and earned it.

Like Jaq says, he can talk trophy deer and elk with the best of them, including hunting tactics and past solo hunts.

...and he's a helluva a lot more open-minded that some guys on Bowsite.

And why, yes, I did out shoot Randy Ulmer once...Ok, only one target out of 30. Well, he did put it too me on the other 29, but that one time...

01-Sep-16
Blacktail Bob: "That said, what is it about the Northeast that makes hunting there so much more of a challenge?"

I'm more than a touch curious about that one myself.

01-Sep-16
Great deer. Great bowhunter. Great guy.

01-Sep-16
I think you guys are under the impression that I shake my head at the use of a guide. I have been on a guided bear and deer hunt and had a blast. If and when I go out west I would assume I'm going to use a guide. All I'm saying is these pro hunters go on numerous guided hunts every single year with top outfitters in trophy states. Naturally they are going to do well in regards to the quality animals. I'm sure these guys are great hunters or else they wouldn't be where their at. I just think people give them more credit then may be due. And not once did I say western deer were dumber than eastern. Some of you are making up stuff as you go along. I guess I should have put it like herdmanager and Bigred. Or better yet, kept my mouth shut.

01-Sep-16
Being from the Northeast myself, I don't think the hunting is all that challenging. Having hunted big mule deer and having seen many many great big mule deer, one in particular that still haunts me, it was truly a giant. I can tell you that I don't care if he used 10 guides, that is a major accomplishment, regularly killing big mule deer like the one in the photo. I have yet to do it and like I said, I have seen a lot of great big ones, but have never been able to close the deal on one. To me, hunting and killing whitetail in the Northeast, is way easier. Spike, I think most get what you are saying but I appears you don't fully understand the scope of the accomplishment.

01-Sep-16
No spike I don't think you should keep quiet. What you said was your opinion and unfortunately the attack dogs come out to protect the individual in question. It's amazing how they pack up sort of like wolves, hmmm. Opinions are what makes this go around, and it seems that when someone has a different opinion the guardians jump out and crucify. I didn't read one word that spike said that was derogatory towards St. Randy, and yet spike is called this or that by guys who feel the need to protect another. If you don't agree with comment say so and move on, or say nothing. The hero worship from some of you guys is getting a bit overdone. I have made comments on here that are in conflict with what others think and I get skewered and that's just how it goes, I can deal with it and defend it. I might suggest that the guardians of the celebs let them speak for themselves if they choose to and if not, so be it. If spike 78 came out here and called Randy a low down poaching son of a B, then I could see the defense but that didn't happen. I think I read of two maybe three guys who personally know Randy, and I'm sure he's a good man and understandable that a friend would want to defend another friend, but those who don't know him personally just disagree without all the hate, spike made no hateful comment, but some of the defenders did, funny how that works out.

01-Sep-16
I will not defend anyone, but the point about hunting in the North east compared to the west or mid west. I will say it is totally different, it takes a deer here in NY anyway at least 2 more years in general to grow the same type of rack a mid-west deer does. I have hunted in the NE my whole life, killed a ton of deer. I have been hunting the mid-west for the last 7 years and I have killed quite a few big deer(relative to size of NY deer at the same age) and I find it no doubt easier to kill deer in the mid west then here in NY. Randy as I have said, deserves everything he gets as he is the one who put himself in the position to do what he loves and be successful at it. Shawn

01-Sep-16
You want to kill a big animal you go where there are big animals. If not then no big deal, less commitment is required.

I do remember Mr. Ulmer nearly killed himself in an ultralight plane flying (or rather, when it quit flying) on a preseason scouting trip. To quote, um, someone else....that there is some next level thinking..... the extra mile.

Bob + how ever many posts that was..... spot on.

01-Sep-16
BigRed,

"It's apparent Randy had nothing to do in the locating or scouting of this deer."

Why is that apparent? There is a picture of Randy with another huge muley but no story on the hunt itself. Did you talk to him about this one? Where was it stated this was a guided hunt or that he had nothing to do in the locating or scouting of this deer? I'd love to hear the story. Like said, he's killed a pile on his own, too. Please tell us what you know!

LBshooter,

" I didn't read one word that spike said that was derogatory towards St. Randy..."

If anyone posted a pic of their kill on here and spike78 posts "Doesn't really impress me, I doubt there was any scouting or effort put in to your hunt." I would call that a derogatory statement.

01-Sep-16
Bam, there you go...Way to go Randy!

01-Sep-16
" I have been hunting the mid-west for the last 7 years and I have killed quite a few big deer(relative to size of NY deer at the same age) and I find it no doubt easier to kill deer in the mid west then here in NY"

Move up a few age classes and challenge yourself

01-Sep-16
Bowsite hasn't changed

02-Sep-16
Never will change. Per Shakespeare, "Not so much brain as ear wax."

02-Sep-16
Genesis I have been killing older age class bucks I would say. 4.5 and up to 7.5 in both NY and a few states out west. Shawn

02-Sep-16
You know what, I'm actually surprised. There has really only been one or two flat out haters on this thread. I would say that is pretty decent in this day and age.

02-Sep-16
Wow to the beyond impressive mule deer. As to the rest of this, it's getting old, and harder to open these threads.

02-Sep-16
Midwest. It's in the article that was posted earlier in this thread about the hunt.

" I couldn’t believe our good fortune, I had finally relocated the buck, and the hunt was starting in just two days. That night at Camp I called Randy and told him the great news."

But heh... I'm not stirring the pot. It simply isn't for me. I'm much more excited for the guys and gals who post a Youtube video showing their success's and failures, or post a thread on bowsite telling their story, than the guys over commercializing hunting for the benefit of a magazine article and their sponsors.

02-Sep-16
As far as "haters" go, spike has been a pretty respectful hater at least guys :) You have to admit that

I guess the big problem spike, is that it would be one thing if you had done something similar, THEN said "hey guys it's no big deal."

The problem comes in when a person says "hey guys doing ________ is no big deal" but they've never done it themselves. Because it is impossible for said individual to really KNOW if it is hard are not. They are only surmising. The fact that to my knowledge there are many people with time and money like Randy, and there 0 other people to my knowledge that consistently archery kill monster mulie bucks like Randy tells me that what he is doing is something very unique. We can THINK that we would be good enough, but we will never truly know without actually doing it.

I know I've hunted some Alberta mulies a couple times and been extremely humbled by giant mulies that just somehow seem to live almost out of luck. I can think of bucks that I have had "dead to rights," and friends of mine that have had bucks "dead to rights" that for whatever reason turn around and feed the other way, or do whatever they do. Big mulies live their lives in the open and have a 7th sense with it.

To LBShooters point - people naturally get their hackles up when someone degrades an accomplishment or makes a statement that said accomplishment is easier than others think when they really have zero idea about how hard it is because they themselves have not done it.

02-Sep-16
Don't some of the high profile guys send teams into areas they are going to hunt ahead of time and pattern the big guys? A Kansas outfitter told me one of the shows (a guy you all know) sent his team to the camp 4 days ahead of time to do the scouting. The team was jetted in on a private jet and he picked them up.

02-Sep-16
What have I learned here? That is a great deer. Randy is a great guy, great shot, and great hunter. If a person has a different opinion, they are a hater. If you don't do it yourself, you don't know how hard it is and are not allowed to comment. Hmmm, what I think of this? Person "A" has limited time to scout and hunt, and limited funds to travel. Person "B" has no time or financial restrictions, is free to DIY all season, and has tags in multiple states and guides scouting for him. He can be on the next plane to anywhere for the entire season. You guys tell me who is going to be posting pics of huge mullies year after year? We are beating a dead horse here over an apples to oranges comparison.

02-Sep-16
And I am not saying person "B" did not earn it, seems he worked hard to get where he is today.

02-Sep-16
BigRed, That hunt in the article was from 2007.

02-Sep-16
Thanks for the kind words Apauls. If I truly thought it was easy to staulk a deer I wouldn't be up in my tree stand every year hah. I personally do not know what it's like to staulk a mule deer and yes I am impressed by Randy's stalking and shooting skills I just meant that the pros are not 100% of the hunt from start to finish. I also think hater is a strong word. Now why in the hell would I hate these Hunters?

02-Sep-16
Here's something else I learned from this post: Bowsite can be a fairly tame site. I've read other threads, on other websites, (MonsterMuleys...) and they all but crucify him!

02-Sep-16
Ok here is my take on all these types of threads... #1, we all need to be the best archers we can. Know your gear, be proficient with it, know your effective range, and have 100% confidence in your shot at the moment of truth. The rest of it does come down to scouting and putting yourself in the right situation at the right time (and understanding your quarry and using the wind to your advantage). That part comes in all shapes and forms. For some, it means working hard to afford the best guides, scouts, and property. To others, it's spending less time on career and more boots on ground and knocking on doors. There are extremes at both ends of the spectrum, and everywhere in between.

Provided it was taken under legal, fair chase conditions - there was work involved one way or another.

I would say that Randy's success in the "industry" and hard work and dedication have earned him the right to not have to spend weeks and months with boots on the ground and scouting. My point is - he paid his dues, and has created a situation where he can do this year over year.

That's a helluva a lot different than just plopping 20 grand on a high fence 200+ inch buck.

02-Sep-16
Huh. I thought he was a dentist.

I know a few dentists that make a good living and do a lot of hunting.

A LOT.

Good for them and good for Randy.

I notice Randy Ulmer is not here on the Bowsite tearing down all the internet experts. Makes one think.

Huh.

03-Sep-16
So let me see if I get this straight. If I'm hunting my buddy's farm and he tells me that he's seen a big deer in the back clover field and I go over there and crawl through the brush and shoot the deer, I have no accomplishment?

Randy still had to close the deal. Some of you guys need to get a life.

TMBB

03-Sep-16
Brotsky, otcwill, Pat lefimine and other positive guys x 100. Don't know Randy but look at the smile on his face, glad to see it and all the pics any of you post that make you happy. I plan to drink a beer later today to help Randy celebrate and promise to do the same for the rest of you, as long as you appreciate the opportunities we have as bowhunters and the bonds and friendships it has brought to so many of us. Next time I stumble around and tag something I'm gonna post it with a big smile too, and invite you to celebrate with me! Life is short , lets laugh at ourselves more and enjoy each chance we get to hunt.

03-Sep-16
Couple years ago I posted a pic with an elk I was so proud of. Several posters wrote that I obviously spent too much time hunting, spent too much money, must be neglecting my family and work. etc and I was a sorry SOB in general. So I looked em up. It was my wife and kids.....

03-Sep-16
Time, money and quality land all play a part in someone's success. But so does patience, persistence and attention to detail, just to name a few. Lastly, there is always the element of luck. How does one give more value or less value to one of these elements?

I know a couple local bowhunters that get the job done on just about anything they hunt. I think they have learned that ratio quite well. They are students of the hunt.

I have guided bear and moose hunter's. And as most other guides can attest some hunter's are just "better" than others. I am sure if I were to take Ulmer on a moose hunt he would be right at the top.

I bet the guides love when Ulmer is in camp because they know a hefty buck is going down.

03-Sep-16
Rock on, Randy! Congratulations on another awesome mule deer, my friend.

• Sitka Gear