Cajunarcher 15-Sep-16
steff 17-Sep-16
JRABQ 17-Sep-16
Beav 17-Sep-16
Treeline 29-Sep-16
13-Sep-16

Cajunarcher's embedded Photo
Just returned home from a caribou hunt in NWT with fellow bowsiters bigpizzaman and sticksender. This was my first time hunting caribou so needless to say I was pretty excited!! After meeting the hunting crew of 7 people that were all headed to redstone in Norman wells, we were all ready to fly out to camp. Unfortunately the weather wasn't following our planes so we were forced to spend 2 nites in Norman wells waiting for clear skies. Finally we got the call that we were flying out.. Thank god! After everything was settled in base camp we loaded horses and headed out for the 7 mile ride in to spike camp. The scenery was breathtaking ! Tim and I hunted hard everyday and with this being my first caribou I wasn't nearly as picky on size as he was . On day 5 I was presented with a shot at a nice bull ( my standards lol) . I looked him over for few seconds and quickly decided I would be tickled to death with him on the last day so my mind was made up. I settled my pin on him and touched off . From the amount of blood pouring out of him I knew he wouldn't make it far . A few minutes later Tim and I was standing over my first caribou and I was a very happy hunter! Few last words I wanna say is thanks again Tim from the bottom of my heart for invited me to tag along on this hunt with you ! Also thank you sticksender for everything you did on this hunt to make me feel welcomed to hunt with 2 great bowhunters. I don't think the other hunters in camp are on Bowsite but I had a blast with everyone there!!

13-Sep-16
Congrats! I spent some time in Norman Wells with Tim as welll. He makes for "good company"...;)

13-Sep-16
Yeah your right Kota man! Never a dull moment lol

13-Sep-16
Congrats!!

13-Sep-16
Awesome bull. It looks like those "openers" did a number on him.

13-Sep-16
Thanks nick ! Lol!!! Buzz

13-Sep-16
Congrats on your bull! Looks like a great adventure.

13-Sep-16
Nice bull Lee! Congrats

13-Sep-16
Beauty!! Congrats on a nice mt.caribou

13-Sep-16
Congrats! And Nice bull! More pics of the beautiful country are always welcome....

13-Sep-16
Way to go. Awesome.

13-Sep-16
Tim spent a week at our camp this spring and like you learned, he's a real nice guy, but I didn't get no invite to hunt caribou! You have a real nice trophy there, well done.

13-Sep-16
Great bull, congrats!

13-Sep-16
I'm envious!!! What would you guess his weight at?

14-Sep-16
Congrats again, man. Looking forward to checking it out and for the taxidermy haul road trip this weekend!

14-Sep-16
Very nice!! Congrats!!

14-Sep-16
Congratulations... beautiful bull!

14-Sep-16
Great bull! Congrats!!

14-Sep-16
I like that a lot. Congrats. Paul

14-Sep-16
Great bull.

How about more details on the hunt and kill?

Did you spend most days glassing or hiking?

How did you get this bull? Did he walk past you or did you have to stalk a long ways to get your shot?

How about the hike out? How far did you have to haul the meat?

14-Sep-16
Congrats on a great bull!!!!

great questions Angler!

Mark

14-Sep-16
Beautiful bull! Congrats on a great hunt!

14-Sep-16
Angler, we hunted a big natural mineral lick that the caribou came to pretty regular. We hiked 4 miles from camp on way to hunt this lick everyday. We glasses the lick for a few days determining a few blind locations for an ambush. It was tough to bowhunt it cause it's very big . I ended up shooting mine on 5th day as it came by my blind . The shot was 70 yds and the bull was down in about 100 yds at most. I used a rage 2 blade titanium and almost had a complete pass through , just fletchings were hung up in ribs on exit side.

14-Sep-16
Congrats Lee!

14-Sep-16
Congrats Lee, he's a real pretty bull and you made a fantastic shot on him. Taking a good bull like that is no small feat, and you got 'er done. Excellent picture too. A real pleasure it was to spend the camp time with you & Tim.

14-Sep-16

Medicinemann's Link
Lee,

I hunted with Tim at Redstone back in 2010. I have included a link to our hunt. My 7th or 8th photo shows the mineral lick that you are referring to. Would you please tell me where you were positioned, relative to the photo? Since I have been there, it would allow me to recall your experience in even more detail.

Great looking bull!! I am also impressed that BPM was able to walk the 50 yards to camp (from the float plane), without destroying his shoulder!! LOL

Jake

14-Sep-16
Cajun, Thanks for the details... 8 miles every day sounds like a lot. But it also sounds worth it.

Did you have to carry the meat back that same 4 miles?

How did you break the caribou down? When I hunted Alaska, we left the meat on the bone and literally took everything except the head, skin, and entrails. We took out the ribs, entire spine including neck, and legs. I can't imagine doing that with a bull as big as yours and with a 4 mile hike/carry.

14-Sep-16
Great story and pics Cajun!!! Enjoyed the trip.

Medicineman, I don't know you are BigPizza, but I have followed along just enough here to laugh out lout at the shoulder comment!! Hilarious!!

14-Sep-16

Hey Jake I hunted directly across from where u killed your bull( closer toward the main creek) . Angler the guides actually packed the bull out on horses back to camp so we didn't have to pack it on our backs. Photo is blind I shot it out of .

14-Sep-16
Congrats....!...looks like an incredible hunt....

14-Sep-16
Way to go buddy, congrats on a great bull!

15-Sep-16
Congrats !!

15-Sep-16
Congrats on another successful hunt and fine trophy.

15-Sep-16
Great bou! Congrats!

15-Sep-16
Thanks guys

17-Sep-16
Great bull. Congrats. Thanks for sharing!

17-Sep-16
Sounds like a great adventure, congrats!

17-Sep-16
Congrats on a nice bull!

29-Sep-16
Awesome 'bou! Love that country up there - super remote and lots of game! Need to get up there again soon...

• Sitka Gear