maravia14x24 28-Sep-16
Teeton 29-Sep-16
HDE 29-Sep-16
Destroyer350 29-Sep-16
CO Oak 29-Sep-16
cnelk 29-Sep-16
HDE 29-Sep-16
17-Sep-16
Curious what out of staters perspective is for hunting Colorado in regards to hunting pressure and value? In the last 2 years I have noticed a large increase in hunting pressure in otc units, which is impacting the experience. I pay 49 dollars, not 629 to hunt a bull elk. Is it a "good value", or are you getting ripped off? There is something to be said about the opportunity to get in the woods, but it would be nicer without so many there to join you. What are your thoughts??

17-Sep-16
This is my second year hunting Colorado. Successful with a bull last year and success with my good friend harvesting one this year. I wouldn't say it is a good value but I love elk hunting and I don't have the opportunity to do it every year in my state. I agree there is a lot of hunting pressure. But if you go early and get well off the beaten trail it's not so bad.

17-Sep-16
I don't feel the cost of a bull elk tag is a good value anymore. When I started hunting CO 11 years ago the tag was $485. I thought that was a fair price. Even up in the low to mid $500s was still a good value. Not so much anymore. Guess it's the old supply and demand. If they weren't being bought, they would have to drop the price.

17-Sep-16
Most of us can't draw our home state which forces us to hunt out of state where otc opportunities exist. It stinks that you almost have to mortgage the farm to go hunting.

Normally, the price goes up because demand is down. Doesn't seem to be the case here, because we know a lot of people still hunt. I think CO just followed suit because neighboring states like NM and UT jacked up the price of non resident tag fees.

17-Sep-16
Where I hunt with a rifle, there are tons of road hunters. I always see bulls even if they are a mile away because I am willing to hike in a ways. I remember the first year I killed a bull on public in CO. I was 18, it was 1999, and I could barely afford the $250 tag.

17-Sep-16
I have been hunting Colorado elk for seven trips since 2003, mostly one point limited draw area, and OTC area. The OTC areas are overcrowded, and the LDA the herd is dwindling. The tag prices go up every year. As a recently retired hunter these tags are becoming OVER-PRICED for the VALUE. I don't smoke, gamble or drink, but as a year round sportsman and the license fees for hunting, fishing, boating, ATV, etc. in general are out of control. What do I give up?

17-Sep-16
If it's just a question of cost, I think the money is worth it. You're paying for the experience to hunt elk whether you fill a tag or not. The experience is worth the money. And there are better places to hunt than others in CO.

That said, CO treats their elk herd like a cash nipple. Other states manage their herds without the kind of money that CO rakes in. CO could make the OTC experience better if they took some lessons from surrounding states.

17-Sep-16
"Normally, the price goes up because demand is down. "

It's the other way around the higher the demand for goods and service the higher the price for those goods and services. If if the demand is going down at the current price, one is not going to stimulate the buyers by raising prices. Colorado game and fish has been advertising aggressively the past couple of years, apparently its paying off with increase hunter numbers. Us NR as a group must be flush with cash as most states aren't shy about in raising tag prices or application fees and the point game. I am sure a bunch could chime in about the 500-900 a year they spend just to be in the point game in a half a dozen states and not even draw one tag.

The likes of Nevada and Arizona your shelling out plus $150 a year to get in the draw and build points if go ten years you will have $1500 plus the tag fee of plus $500. OTC Colorado looks like a bargain tag fee wise anyways.

18-Sep-16

HDE's Link
Look at the basic supply-demand curve. As quantity demanded goes up, the price goes down. With supply, it's the opposite.

Even though the quantity demanded increases and price is evidently going up, could it be safe to say that hunting tags are a Giffen Good?

18-Sep-16
When I first hunted elk in Colorado I paid $25 for a non-resident permit. The hunting was great. How things have changed. Do not hunt there anymore; to much pressure and the price is ridiculous.

18-Sep-16
Last I heard, Colorado was down 30,000 NR elk hunters due to price increases. Haven't seen any data that says their ads have brought those numbers back up significantly. Link?

As for me, I will keep shelling it out as long as I can, but after I retire (in 7-8 years) may just have to hunt them with a camera. Since we get an automatic raise EVERY year, it will probably be in the $900 range by then.

18-Sep-16
HDE, FYI, as demand increases, so will price -- not the opposite. When more people want something, it becomes more expensive.

18-Sep-16
HDE, looking at otc units, demand has increased. In Market Equilibrium theory, increasing demand increases price per unit.

Simply putting it, Look at any Market equilibrium table describing increasing demand in a market. With supply being a function of demand. Increasing demand increases price.

God Bless

18-Sep-16
bigeasy - only if there is a fixed quantity of supply.

I suppose it depends on which curve shifts. If demand shifts (to the right) along the supply curve, then yes, as quantity demanded goes up so will price. If supply shifts (to the right) along the demand curve, as the quantity demanded goes up price decreases. Usually the interpretive outcome is 'Ambiguous'.

Market equilibrium is just the price point that buyers are willing to pay and the amount vendors are willing to sell. The quantity supplied is is infinite, so that is not a driving mechanism for price point, popularity of the activity and opetating cost are. The only reason price can increase is there is ample supply and the ones willing to pay will regardless. The demand will never change, but the quantity will always vary.

18-Sep-16
Huh!

18-Sep-16
What I believe, is that they raised prices because they wanted more money. It was a calculated risk and ran off a LOT of hunters. But you don't have to sell near a many tags at $650+ to bring in the same or more dollars.

The REAL dagger though is that they put in the law that NRs get an automatic "cost of living" increase EVERY year. Resident pricing is locked at current levels and each and every price increase has to be approved by the legislature.

So we are the frog who was put in cold water and a fire built under it. He doesn't notice that he is being boiled to death because the heat goes up gradual, just like our fees go up. And just like compounded interest, X% of $650 is more than X% of $350

18-Sep-16
It definitely seems high. I guess for me its worth it. I look at elk hunting as a 2 or 3 week vacation. Beautiful mountains, fresh air. A million stars at night. No work or society headaches. Elk singing me to sleep if I'm lucky. If Im really lucky I actually get one.

If I want to go elk hunting and I Dont draw elsewhere, I'm going. I'm not getting any younger, I have a limited number of Septembers left, and I'm not going to let 600 dollars stop me from enjoying them.

19-Sep-16
I paid $560 to hunt Whitetail in Kansas, comparatively speaking I would say it's a steal!

19-Sep-16
Which one is a steal? Were you successful in getting a whitetail? Elk success runs about 20%

19-Sep-16
HAHA! So much misinformation. The Colorado Nonresident tag cost is tied to the CPI. When the CPI increases then the NR tag increases. As far as value? Where else can a person wait until mid September walk into a Walmart and be hunting nearly 3/4 of the elk units that afternoon?

Everyone wants to complain about numbers, but doing anything else means we will not get to hunt every year. It also does not mean you will see any less hunters where you like to hunt. In some cases (actually many) forcing a draw means the people in the unit will hunt harder and as a result the best areas will become even more crowded.

If you do not like the OTC units you can choose every year to put in for one of the many limited units that require only a couple points to draw.

People complain about the price of the tag all the time, yet we are still seeing more and more hunters in CO.

Again the value comes in being able to hunt every single year in the same unit etc. No other state really allows this for NR except maybe Idaho.

19-Sep-16
I hunt Colorado every other year-I don't like paying 600 plus $, but I'm hunting elk and its worth it to me. This year I wanted to add a bear tag since I started seeing bear on my 1st season Rifle Elk trips in the flat tops- will not pay the 300 NR fee to maybe shoot a bear. If the DOW wants to reduce the bear population-sell that tag for 50.00 or so to NR-they would certainty sell more. Im elk hunting while I can-with a retirerement income in 8 years-it probably wont happen. How is the DOW going to deal with the baby boomers who have money disappearing?

19-Sep-16
The bright side for nonresidents:

Living somewhere besides Colorado is often way cheaper and is often the least expensive way to go for an elk hunter. Elk season is a month long but really a 1 or 2 week deal for most hunters. A guy can live somewhere close to great whitetail and turkey hunting on a few acres cheaper than what many Coloradoans pay for a home in a subdivision. on a postage stamp size lot.

19-Sep-16
Wondered how long it would take for a resident to chime in, as the question was asked of nonresidents. That said, I am never afraid to hear the other side of the argument, and Coelker knows his stuff. If I have put out in misinformation, please point it out. I realize the price increase is tied to the consumer price index which is why I put "X" percent. It is not the same each year, but you can count on it going up by some percentage each year except for a very rare year when the CPI is flat. I think the reason they are hitting you residents up now for an increase is they know they will really kill the golden goose if they have any other drastic upticks in our price.

And yes, I would choose going all limited and only hunt every other year if it means that some of my friends didn't get priced out, which they have. But the CP&W can't/won't do that, because it would mean less revenue!

19-Sep-16
I'm done with Colorado OTC units. Being a NR, I realistically can only hunt 5-6 days a year with a day of travel on each end. The $600+ tag really isn't worth it to me anymore. I have just found too much pressure in the areas I have been and without the advantage of preseason scouting, killing a bull becomes a long shot. Success rates bear that out.

19-Sep-16
txhunter58 went more to my point on limited versus otc in so many units. To not have any limits on the number of hunters in any unit seems wrong. It's really not the nonresident hunter that is likely creating the increased pressure, I think it is the ridiculous number of people moving to Colorado that is providing the up tick. They do have levers to pull in reducing B tags in these units (which I'm all for), but I'm not sure that is enough.

I just want a quality hunt when I hit the woods each year (selfish I know), and I think that is right thing to do for nonresidents travelling 1000's of miles and paying a lot of hard earned money to come hunt.

19-Sep-16
I don't know anyone who wouldn't want less crowding and less pressure during their hunt. The problem is I know very few who are willing to sit out multiple years between tags and who are willing to pay enough extra in license fees to offset the lost revenue from that would come from fewer hunters. Add in the pressure from businesses that rely on the money hunters spend and its a tough sell.

I don't necessarily accept that the current size of CPW budget is required to manage our wildlife but the CPW is convinced its not enough, so anything that reduces revenue will be a fight.

20-Sep-16
txhunter58,

Then the question is this... there are units in the states where A NR can draw every 2-3 years. The crowding is less and the numbers are limited. There is nothing right now saying you have to hunt in an OTC unit.

It is a choice we all make... On the flip side as a resident or a nonresident, I would much rather have an option to hunt every year (even if it is not a "quality" option).

That being said I would gladly help you out in finding a better hunt every couple of years.

In general most OTC units tend to flow on some level, and even areas with in the units tends to flow with pressure. This however happen everywhere. Some word gets out that a bull was seen in a certain area, and for the next 2 weeks everyone is hunting that area. Or in my case they kill a huge bull in the unit and suddenly the next year there are 5 to 6 times more NR resident hunters on that very ridge. After 2 years they all but disappear.

So the real question is, what do you expect for $600 and is there a unit or a hunt that can meet that expectation?

If you go to a limited unit, realize there may not be any less hunters in the area you select, but the nice part is every year the number of hunters will remain pretty similar.

Also for limited hunts there are lots of other options as well. Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Montanna, Idaho, new Mexico, etc.

Lots of guys use Colorado as a plan C. Did not draw Utah, Did not draw WY, At least I can still make it to Colorado.

20-Sep-16
I am a Colorado resident. I don't like even paying close to 60.00 with the rescue fee and conservation stamp. There are some political forces at work. Originally the Colorado Lottery was voted in with most of the money supposedly going to Parks ad Recreation as well as game management. That didn't last long. Greedy fingers could not help themselves. So now game management is financing most of itself again while the money is siphoned off for crap.

I don't normally run into a lot of hunters where I hunt, even though its an OTC area. I'm finding there are a lot more muzzleloader guys hitting the bush.

No doubt there are plenty of hunters roaming around. Here is some logic for you. The price of licenses in Colorado for elk are cheaper than any other state. AND you are guaranteed to hunt elk in the OTC areas.

On the other hand, I do believe there is an assault on hunting in general in an incremental fashion. I eventually believe it will be a rich man's indulgence at some point in the future, not unlike Germany and other European countries. For southern deer populations hunting is safer due to the massive herds.

It would be intellectually dishonest to say that our future is bright in some respects. The cost of licenses never goes down. Ever notice that? Nothing ever goes down unless its an influenced commodity such as fuel of food.

20-Sep-16
For all the nonresidents complaining about the cost of a mediocre OTC hunt, it would probably cost me about the same to come to your state and do a similar DIY public land hunt for whatever big game species you have as well. You have a huge opportunity to have a great hunt here every single year as long as you're not set on shooting the next record book bull, although big bulls exist here as well. Too crowded? Well, most of those crowds YOU guys see are also nonresident hunters. Get outside the box and hunt units farther from the first chunk of national forest you get to along the highway. I have talked to very, very few nonresident hunters in the units I hunt. So tag prices go up, so what, the prices for all consumer goods go up! You (should) get a cost of living raise every year too right? Like COelker said, it's tied to the CPI...

20-Sep-16
Coelker. I am satisfied with my hunting experiences as 9 out of 10 years I hunt a limited license. And that is every year. 2 out of 3 years, that is a cow, but I still love the experience

And I can afford the cost, but have friends who for whatever reason have been effectively priced out of coming. And who knows whether or not I can afford it in retirement because it will be $1000 before I am done wanting to come.

So my beef is not overcrowding, but the ever year slow boiling frog increases. "It is only 2%, 3% etc" still adds up. I dare say residents wouldn't agree to the same deal. Whether or not they should is a whole other argument.

20-Sep-16
Colorado charges the Non-Resident 10-12.8 times what they charge the Residents fees. The New England states charge the NR only 2.3-3.8 of the Resident fees. ALL of the western states need to bring license fees down to 5-6 times R/NR ratio.

21-Sep-16
txhunter58,

Actually it was proposed by several resident hunters and groups to tie resident fees to the CPI in the same manner as the NR fees. In our current funding model the preice of tags increase at one time. When increased it puts the CPW into the Black and they have excess money compared to budget. This allows the CPW to fix big projects that have been hanging over head, and also allows them to increase the fund balance and create a surplus amount of money. With time cost increase, but the revenue is flat. After a couple years the CPW hits a break even year then slowly slips into the red. As the budget slips into the red it pulls money from the fund balance to off set increases and starts to cut programs and staff. Eventually getting to a point where they have to go back in and increase revenue again by increasing cost. This has been the resident model for tag cost since before I could hunt. In the early 90s we saw a price hike, then early 2000 a small kick, then 2008 a chunk and now another chunk.

Under this model every single price hike must be approved by the state. For NR the statute ties the increase and thus the increase occurs regardless. For many of us we would rather see a slow progressive increase each year as opposed to a 25%, 50% 100% jump every 8-10 years....

So to a certain extent yes residents have asked for and many would like the price to be tied in stone and somewhat predictable as opposed to the issues we have now.

21-Sep-16
Fisher rick,

Let me ask you what sort of demand do you have for NR hunts in the North East? How many magazine articles feature the vast public lands and unspoiled wilderness of up state New York? How many TV shows dedicate entire seasons to covering the abundant Nonresident hunting opportunities in Vermont?

Sorry but the ratio does not matter at all. For a single license you are correct on the ratio, but residents also buck up a fair share of other fees and lic. For example the average resident buys more licenses... 2 elk tags, 1 deer tag, a small game lic. a fishing lic. bear tag etc. While you may buy one or 2 expensive tags we are buying 5-6 lower tags. Add inteh fact that buy buying multiple tags the state gets additional federal funding and things can balance out pretty fast.

21-Sep-16
"So to a certain extent yes residents have asked for and many would like the price to be tied in stone and somewhat predictable as opposed to the issues we have now. "

Glad to hear there is some movement in that direction. It really makes a lot of sense. However, if that actually happens, I will buy you a 6 pack of your choice. :-) Just don't think it will pass and I think you have a big hurdle to ever get there. Doesn't each and every "tax increase" have to be approved by law? Maybe lawyers know a loophole in that?

21-Sep-16
I will probably always hunt CO. I live in SE KS and the scenery doesn't hold a candle to the beauty of CO. Many people do not understand how hard public land hunting can be out there and many are burnt out after the first attempt. I have hunted elk there 5 seasons and I know what to expect. I think it is still an ok deal.

21-Sep-16
"Normally, the price goes up because demand is down. Doesn't seem to be the case here"

As others have said, that's the opposite of how micro-economics works. The chart that you linked to is one where supply is increasing and demand is decreasing. The opposite is in play here. If they followed true supply and demand principals, they would continue to raise the price each year until supply equals demand, which would yield a price MUCH higher than it is today. Strangely enough, when I took Micro-Economics in college (Arizona), the professor was an avid elk hunter and used supply and demand of elk permits as examples constantly! He felt that Arizona should increase the price of elk permits until supply equals demand, and many students argued that it would then become a wealthy person's sport.

But to answer the original question, it is nice that Colorado has a mix of both. They should possibly continue to raise the price of limited entry permits until supply equals demand, but have OTC maintain a more reasonable price to give everyone a chance to hunt. Living in a state where elk permits are normally closer to once per decade than every year, be careful what you are willing to give-up!

21-Sep-16
The supply is not fixed though, it is infinite so always able to increase. The supply for year "whatever" is only determined after the demand is over for that year.

Anywhere along the demand curve, as quantity increases, price decreases, usually following how much is available or supplied, bringing the price back up (demand shifts to the right). The price will increase for demand to match a supplied quantity. Basically, a game department can charge whatever they want (up to a point) and people will pay. The price is a projection at how many tags they think they can sell. Supply lags behind demand as far as price goes.

There are two schools, among many, of economic thought, supply side and demand side. One where supply is the driver, the other where demand is.

It is not just simple 'as demand goes up, so does price'.

The last paragraph above in StickFlickers' post is what NM and UT do, but NM comes up short in the OTC department.

21-Sep-16
I meant Colorado is a steal compared to whitetails in Kansas which is a rip-off I'm willing to deal with ;)

22-Sep-16
They don't call it the shoot 'em up state for nothing. I'll gladly hunt elk in Colorado again, but it will only be on private land. Haven't found a spot yet on public that impresses me with little to no pressure.

22-Sep-16
My wife and I are NR with 20 pts. Planning on burning them this year and getting out of the game. Not because I don't mind playing the game but want to hunt a good unit while we're still able to.

It's supply and demand and it isn't going to get any better or cheaper. Never has, never will.

26-Sep-16
I have hunted OTC every year in Co since 2002. I think it is worth it too me to get to hunt elk every year. I have been on a rant to anyone who would listen since day one of this years hunt. I don't mind the hunters, even though I am 65 years old I can get back far enough to avoid the legal hunters. What has me out of joint is the quads, atvs, orvs, jeeps, cars, and pickups ignoring the posted no motorized vehicle signs. We parked at a designated parking spot, hiked in 30 to 45 minutes to get to a creek crossing only to have a pickup drive passed us on a trail that was designated as no motorized vehicle traffic. I watched so called hunter riding non-motorized trails in side by side orvs with the passenger holding his bow in his hand with an arrow knocked. I saw pristine mountain parks, beaver ponds and streams that looked like an they had been part of a off road race course. I saw switchbacks on numbered roads where every curve had been cut across by careless riders. I saw streams that crossed the numbered roads where you had to slow to a crawl because the machines had decided the stream bed made a good trail. I made 2 trips to the Forest Service Headquarters to complain. I gave specific examples of violations and was told "that is a good example". I complained to the cpw game warden and was told if I see them I will give them a ticket. I have no problem with these machines if they are used lawfully, but when they are not they ruin it for at least me and I expect a lot more people. End of rant for now.

26-Sep-16
Why hunting Colorado last week we ran into a biologist doing field work. He said hunt numbers are down, not sure if he meant res or nonres or both. Something like 30K, also not sure if he meant this year or last. He said that they (dow) thinks that the hunter numbers have peak and it's going to start to go the other way. He said that cost of licenses and hunter satisfaction is some of the reasons why many of past hunters are not coming back.

From many of hunters I know from back east have said, I believe they are correct. I myself don't think I would pay the cost to hunt a Colorado otc unit. I hear many of folks that have hunted in past years say the hunting in Colorado is not as good as 10 years ago. Haven hunted Colorado many of times since the 90's, I also believe the hunting in Colorado is not as good as 10 years ago. I have not seen as many elk as I did 10 years ago and I'm sure I'm a much better elk hunter now, than then. Will I hunt a otc unit again.. Not sure?? Ed

26-Sep-16
As a Non Resident-the cost is fairly high at $640 plus to get a tag. I can only afford to go every other year myself. But compared to other states-it is easier to just go hunting in Colorado. With that said its easier for guys like me to hunt. I can see where out of State hunters would be unsatisfied if there hunting off of a trailhead in a OTC unit. I only hunt 1st season Rifle in an easy to draw area of 23 or 75 , but I always do a drop camp and have had great experiences and just love hunting Colorado, but more important to me is seeing the mountains and the whole camping experience-most of the time I have been able to kill an elk-which is always a bonus. I also only hunt in motor less units to avoid the people conflicts -the rougher terrain the better for me as far the quality of solitude and with Elk hunting-those go hand in hand. experience as far as being solitude.

27-Sep-16
Zeke, I've seen some of that.too. It is aggravating to say the least. I found a couple 4 wheelers parked next to a camp a good two miles past where they were allowed to go. They tore a lot of stuff up getting there. I can only assume they figured that was the easy way to get camp in.

I came close to letting the air out of their tires, but wound up just going the other direction.

People are disappointing at times.

27-Sep-16
Hypothetically, what would've that proved by letting air out of their tires...?

Good for you for just walking the other way.

27-Sep-16
HDE.... was pissed at the time..... I figured they would have to walk to get a battery powered air compressor or something. Thought it might teach them a lesson.

28-Sep-16
Wouldn't have proved anything, but the person would have thought twice before he did it again.

That said, all ATVs in CO have to have a sticker/license. Why not take a picture of the ATV and license, then get enough of the background to prove where it was and turn those pics over to the DOW. Not sure if that is enough to prosecute them, but they could at least look them up and give them a call.

28-Sep-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

28-Sep-16
Based on this graph, it appears that OTC license purchases have remained fairly stable through 2013. Note that the total license sales line mirrors the limited license quota line.

photo License sales_zpsqn7nksbf.jpg

28-Sep-16
What caused the decrease in total license sales (green line) in 98/99? Looks like it never has recovered. Is that the reason for the price increase?

28-Sep-16
Deer licenses went from OTC to totally limited in 1999.

Cow licenses went way up that year due to the booming elk population, which is reflected in the quota line.

28-Sep-16
Non-resident bull licenses went from $250 to $450 in 2001, which is reflected in the green total license sales line. The "recovery" in sales the following years is misleading, because cow license quotas continued to increase (which you can see in the red line). We never got the majority of those NR bull hunters back.

28-Sep-16
Thanks for the graph. Helps explain it in easy to see form

28-Sep-16
Naturally, sales will follow a quota.

28-Sep-16
"Naturally, sales will follow a quota."

Yes, but there is no quota on the OTC licenses, which are included in total sales on that graph. My point was that OTC sales seem to be somewhat stable, as the limited quota line and total sales line trend the same way. Above it was mentioned that a CPW employee noted the large loss of hunters. That would appear to be due to lower limited license quotas, versus the cited "cost of the license and hunter satisfaction."

28-Sep-16
I have not read all of the above comments.

If I could go to another state and buy an elk license over the counter for $600, i would go there and hunt. maybe not every year.

Colorado has a problem with hunting pressure. most areas i used to hunt, i dont bother anymore. elk numbers are down, bull numbers are down, bull quality is down, hunt quality is down. but, hunter numbers are up.

it is management for "maximum opportunity", i call it maximum revenue.

29-Sep-16
maravia14x24 , you are right Co Dow is run like a business Max revenue. But I think they didn't plan for the way it went. And now it looks like it mite be going the other why.

I think they (Dow) knows what's going on. Now we will have to see if they can make change.

I used to go to Colorado just about every year. With the cost of the License and my lower satisfaction. I don't anymore. This year I had a good hunt in Colorado. But that was a drew unit that I used 17 points on. I will get a point next year for only 3 dollars. But will I spend 40 for a point I'll have to wait and see. I would spend $800 on a Colorado license if I thought I would get a good hunt. But don't at this time think I would spend 600 for a poor hunt. That's what I told the biologist doing field work.

Ed

29-Sep-16
"Yes, but there is no quota on the OTC licenses, which are included in total sales on that graph. My point was that OTC sales seem to be somewhat stable, as the limited quota line and total sales line trend the same way. Above it was mentioned that a CPW employee noted the large loss of hunters. That would appear to be due to lower limited license quotas, versus the cited "cost of the license and hunter satisfaction."

So, I must be missing something. Price increase is due to what then??

29-Sep-16
It's starting to remind me of ski passes and how much they have gone up the past few years. Its making it almost impossible for a resident that lives 1 1/2 hours away from Breckenridge to be able to afford it. Then you have tons of people on the mountains and even more traffic on the roads. Which really hurts the experience. I cant even imagine what a family of 4 from another state pays for a week of skiing.

The costs for everything in Colorado is skyrocketing and its going to get worse!

29-Sep-16
"So, I must be missing something. Price increase is due to what then??"

NR price increase? NR prices are tied to the CPI and are adjusted annually. Usually the CPI goes up, but not always. So NR prices usually go up annually, but not always.

The flip side is that R prices have not increased since 2006. The purchasing power of each dollar collected today has dropped to $0.83 since that fee increase due to the CPI increase.

29-Sep-16

cnelk's Link
Here is a good read

See link

29-Sep-16
^^^Very relevant

• Sitka Gear