muskeg 18-Sep-16
spike buck 18-Sep-16
Ibow 18-Sep-16
Drahthaar 19-Sep-16
muskeg 20-Sep-16
Drahthaar 20-Sep-16
muskeg 20-Sep-16
18-Sep-16
Well actually .... called in two and a Blacktail Doe.

The rivers have had minor flooding for the last couple weeks making hunting the Salmon streams hard. The Bears can't fish easy and traveling the stream / river area can be very hard in these conditions.

So last evening we sneaked into a side creek I figured had some huntable water. The Beavers have been busy and have blocked a lot of fish ... the Bears had caught all the few fish that were there. So we hiked up into the woods and set up for a calling session. After a short time a Does came running in and danced around some blowing and stomping. Shortly later a small Black Bear came sneaking in ... from my elevated position I couldn't see it but the hunter and my Guide partner Brian, set up on the ground, signaled me. The Bear started to climb up on my perch on my blind side, as I worked the call. at less than 5 feet Brian called it off. The Bear ran. A while passed with calling sequences. I could hear movement but could not sight anything in this SE Island jungle.

A big Bear approached from my blind side again. As I glanced at the Hunter and Brian I saw Brian had his gun shouldered and the Hunter was at full draw. I slowly peaked down and saw the Boar moving around my perch toward them.

I heard the bow and arrow hit. The Bear startled and ran a few yards into the brush ... I watched as it walked away, stopped and kept walking slowly.

Brian had spotted the arrow on the bank behind the Bear. Clean .... no hair, fat or blood. Clean miss. We checked the area for sign but nothing.

Being on the ground that close, responding to the call, gets exciting.

18-Sep-16

muskeg 's embedded Photo
muskeg 's embedded Photo
coming in ...

18-Sep-16

18-Sep-16

muskeg 's embedded Photo
muskeg 's embedded Photo
Closer ... checking out the Hunter & Brian, to see what they were, and posturing a little.

18-Sep-16

muskeg 's embedded Photo
muskeg 's embedded Photo
just after the broadside shot ... startled wheeled around, probably at the arrows sound as it hit the bank behind the Bear.

Pictures taken by the hunters wife, who was along also, on her quiet cell phone.

My position was up on the old stump / tree to the right of the Bear.

18-Sep-16
Very cool!! Nice bear also.

18-Sep-16
Great picts!

19-Sep-16
Nice How do you call bears ? Forrest

20-Sep-16
I use a deer call .....

20-Sep-16
Thanks. Forrest

20-Sep-16
I call just like I do for Bucks during the rut hunt. Same type of series only more often. Bears seem to have a short attention span to the call. Calling to often is not good for Bucks but good for Bear.

Once I had a hunter than wanted to call. He was also a predator caller, can't remember where from. But he blew my call like a predator call, different than the way I make the call. It worked ... after a bit out came a Bear at less than 10 yards and just looked at him from the small side-stream bank.

• Sitka Gear