Shifty@ work 03-Oct-16
Shifty@ work 03-Oct-16
Shifty@ work 03-Oct-16
flyingbrass 03-Oct-16
Mertyman 04-Oct-16
BullBuster 04-Oct-16
caribou77 04-Oct-16
21-Sep-16
My buddy and I are headed towards the north slope next summer for caribou and I'm needing to upgrade my go-to clothing lineup. We'll be hunting Aug 4-11th.

For those of you that use Sitka gear, which specific pants/jacket/layers and rain gear would you recommend for that time of year? I'd like to hear from someone with experience in AK compared to just what the salesman in a big box retail store recommended.

For those of you that use Kuiu, same thing please.

I already have a couple of pieces of Sitka and am wondering if they will work, or if I need to start from scratch. I also have a pair of Kenetrek gaiters and am hoping those will work as well, or are there better gaiters for that terrain?

There is time to get things finalized and purchased, but it's never early enough and I'd like to get a start on it now.

Thanks for the help!

21-Sep-16
Starting with the boots...The place I got dropped this year, you'd be hard pressed to wear ANYTHING but rubber boots or even hip boots. Leather boots and gaiters were worthless.

I have a bit of mountain and Ak experience with Sitka Gear (and KUIU, First Lite and Kryptek). Nothing wrong with ANY of these brands, I just happen to prefer Sitka at the current time.

That time of year, I would skip the softshell and go with a rain jacket and a Puffy. I prefer the Storm Front or the Cold Front in a dual purpose rain jacket. For a Puffy, I like the Kelvin Ultra.

You need one good pair of regular pants and one pair of rain pants. I took the 90% Pants and the Storm Front Pants. You could go Mountain Pants or Timberline Pants or even the Ascents. All great choices in pants. I have them all and would have to say the Mountain Pants are most versatile if you are going to own one pair.

For base and mid layer, the new Sitka Line is awesome. I take two Short Sleeve, one Mid Weight Quarter Zip and the Heavy Weight Hoodie. I always have one pair of the light weight long johns as well.

Nothing wrong with your Kene Gaiters, but know depending on where you are dropped, it may not be the best option.

Good luck...

22-Sep-16
Thanks for the input kota-man; much appreciated! I appreciate the other PMs I've received as well.

23-Sep-16
I hunted caribou on the North Slope in 2012 and echo kota-man's boot recommendation. I wore leather boots exactly one day up there (the first day). Fortunately, I had a pair of rubber boots along for "backup".

Big Sitka fan here too. I brought both Ascents and 90% as regular pants. Didn't own any Timberlines at the time, but those would definitely be my choice for that area now. The waterproof butt and knees are great features on wet tundra!

Quality rain gear is an absolute must! My Sitka rain gear is getting some age on it, but still going strong!

Good luck!

03-Oct-16
Just hunted Greenland for muskox and caribou at the end of July to first week in Aug.

Kuiu Guide jacket and Guide pants. Verde is great in the tundra and small willows.

Same pattern in Chugach rain pants and jacket.

I honestly saved money on long johns I had two pair of pategonia capalene one med. weight and one heavier weight. I also wore a pategonia nano puff jacket. You can find them half price on the internet in green or black I got mine for 99$

I had an old sitka hoodie digital color,

I wore the same pants and jacket all week, I would have liked a down layer for the boat but I don't think you will have that problem if not in Greenland.

Darn tough socks 3 pair and Asolo Drifters boots. Best of luck.

03-Oct-16

Shifty@ work's embedded Photo

03-Oct-16

Two of us were in Kuiu Guide pants and Jacket. We did not know each other before the hunt but laughed that we had almost identical gear. We wore the same stuff almost all day every day. The other hunters did comment on how much they liked it and that they often lost us while glassing for us while watching our stalks on animals.

03-Oct-16
better take a pair of waders or you will get frost bite on your feet like I did 3 years ago! you will be in pain the rest of your life! Alaska is no joke. Water is no joke! we had many or our trip get 1st degree frost bite from being wet for 7 days. Caribou hunting should get much more respect !

04-Oct-16
Thanks for the additional info Shifty. I was hoping someone would weigh in on the Kuiu side!

The waders/hip boots are already thought out as well, so thanks everyone on the boot tips too.

04-Oct-16
I have a ton of Kuiu stuff. I hunt with the Guide pants and jacket a lot. However both don't block the wind well. Kind of cuts through them, so they can be a problem when it gets in the 40s and below.

04-Oct-16
I love my guide jacket and pants too, and verde blends very well on the tundra, but agree with the above. They dont block wind that well. They are like any other softshell, whether its a sitka 90% or Kryptek Cadog. if you want to stop wind, you need wind stopper or rain jackets.

• Sitka Gear