Grunt-N-Gobble 30-Sep-16
ohiohunter 30-Sep-16
5575 30-Sep-16
writer 30-Sep-16
Finey18 30-Sep-16
22-Sep-16

ohiohunter's embedded Photo
I was lucky enough to draw my NM Valle Vidal once in a lifetime (OIL) elk hunt. Beautiful place and judging by all of the fishermen its a great place to cast a fly.

I had heard all the rumors about how many elk there are in this unit and how it will be hard to sleep amongst all the bugles. I didn't experience the bugles, I did however have great time in the mountains and proved to myself my mountain legs and lungs (and hip!) were slightly better than I had thought.

My girlfriend and I arrived the Sunday before my hunt on Thursday, we set up camp and started talking to the fellas who had the first hunt.

22-Sep-16

The Valle

22-Sep-16
I drew the tag in 2011...keep it coming!!

22-Sep-16

After setting up and touching base with a great guy from USO, Willy, Maria and I decided to do some hiking/scouting. She loves spotting elk, but hates pictures :D

Willy was helping Robert guide some Pennsylvania guys on their first elk hunt. Despite being Steeler fans they were some good guys having a great time getting in on some elk. The first hunt had minimal bugling at best, spot and stalk was the way to go.

22-Sep-16

We had some inclement weather, but it usually passes pretty quickly. One night it came down pretty hard, but by the time my hunt started there was very little rain.

22-Sep-16

Prior to my hunt I helped out a friend of mine set up camp. His hunting partner had a funeral to attend and I knew they had a big wall tent that isn't fun to set up solo, so I went to help and get in a day of hunting. I'm glad I did b/c it was raining pretty heavy over in the Gila and he probably would've slept in his truck.

The rain had caused some big washout/ puddles on the way so I tested the waters before he pulled the trailer through. I stopped on the dry stuff to feel out the soaked ground and to my surprise I found this!

22-Sep-16
Nice!

23-Sep-16
Horse packed my bull right by those same corrals.

Best elk hunt of my life, and one of the top two or three, overall.

23-Sep-16
I am with your Maria--I hate pix too! haha

Can't wait to read more James.

Good luck, Robb

23-Sep-16
This is awesome! Looking forward to the rest of your story! I apply for Valle Vidal every year, it's my dream hunt! So far I've only been able to live it through Bowsite from you lucky guys that keep stealing my tag! Ha! Thanks for sharing your hunt so I can live vicariously ohiohunter! Ha!

23-Sep-16
I knew a girl like Maria once. She was in witness protection! "But thats none of my business" ;)

23-Sep-16

Maria left Tuesday morning leaving me to fend for myself until her return late Sunday the 18th. Thankfully the USO guys were more than welcoming and let me devour some stove cooked grub over my reheated meals.

One of their hunters tagged out just before I landed in camp and the second hunter lucked out on the last day's hunt. Another Non res guy from California scored on a nice bull with nice 3rds, loooong 4ths, and nice 5ths. Beautiful bull probably 340ish which was the biggest anyone (that we knew of) took in the first hunt. I swear they must've had hooves knowing where they packed that bull out of.

My first day hunting I wasn't quite sure where to go. I tried to scout, but at the same time I did not want to interfere with other hunters so my scouting was shallow to say the least. I head up toward a known bedding area hoping some elk would feed up into me but they were moving later than I had expected with a bright moon and the thermals quickly became my enemy.

I spotted a few elk in the bottom but couldn't make out any bulls. I backed out before I blew them out and along the way found a nice piece of bone. Being as this was a recent shed I knew this bull was most likely alive and I would be elated to harvest one of this caliber.

Bugles were sparse, typical morning and evening with no real conviction.

23-Sep-16

Their bull, hope they don't mind. They seemed pretty mellow guys.

23-Sep-16
The evening of the 15th I headed to where a guy lost a bull to a rage. There were a few more vocal bulls in this area but I think they were quiet either due to the moon or the previous hunters pulling out of their spike camps. Either way I had only caught a glimpse of a good bull and the sounds of his antlers hitting limbs. He popped out below me, again thermals and poor position for me on a rocky ridge.

That evening I heard some bugles from across the canyon and glassed a herd being governed by what looked to be a small bull. I could only make out his spread. This is where I was headed tomorrow.

24-Sep-16
The next morning I was dragging and the temp dropped making it hard to get out of a warm bag. I went to a new spot pointed out to me by a bowsiter. I was parked contemplating my next move, well really wanting to take a nap.. then a slew of vehicles parked around me. I watched the crew head up the mountain in the dark which didn't really bother me, its not my mountain. I watched them walk off then I pulled away and dropped down towards the bottom where the temperature was even cooler, 25* burr. Considering it would hit close to 70* soon. That hunt was lackluster with little to no bugles, but I did walk into a spike feeding, he finally spooked. Morning hunt was over and I was ready for a good lunch and my evening hunt.

That evening I ventured to where I had seen the herd, after about 1000+ft climb I got into some timber where a there was some regular bugles from above. I tried to circle to move in but was limited by a deep rocky ravine, so I circled the other way and met the herd. This time they were accompanied by an old mature bull. Big body sway bellied WIDE dark horned beautiful bull. As I glassed him I could see he was missing his 2nd and 3rd on one side (not broken, but didn't grow), the other side was nice but barely a 6th pt, a big 4x6. Thankfully I did not move on him b/c they did not feed to where they had the previous night, they were feeding away from my bugles and the other bull's bugles. I would've gladly taken that herd bull but I had no cover to work with.

I decided to work the vocal bull as I thought he was a gamer, I raked, called and waited. A spike came straight to my sounds. I tried to draw on him to see if I could, but he caught my pack moving from the back side of the tree, kinda forgot I'm wider than usual. He was off, yet the bull on top was still there. I moved in. After hearing a few grunts and bugles I think he had some cows and by the time I crept to the top he had pushed them over and moved on. It was getting dark and bugles had ceased on my mountain and others in ear shot so I hunted my way out.

24-Sep-16
The next evening I hit a new spot, all of these areas are close to one another to where you can hear and sometimes spot the elk across the canyon. As the sun spread its warmth upon my slow stalk up the mountain I was halted by the sounds of some rocks and horns tapping limbs. I froze and saw the hind end of the elk. It fed out right in front of me maybe 20yds broadside, it was a raghorn 5x5. He looked right at me as I stood in the wide open w/ my homemade cow hat on, he was convinced I was just a groupie admiring his spindly horns. He was followed by another raghorn 4x4 or so. I watched them feed off until I heard some bugles up the mtn.

The bull was moving the same direction (right to left) but on the ridge. I hustled but could not get in front of the bull. He steadily moved along the ridge and over. That evening I moved to a previously visited mountain.

I worked my way slowly in the heat up 1400ft just to hear a bull in the bottom. He bellowed almost like a red stag BUUUUURRRRRRRRRP, I had no idea what I heard. Then again BUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRP.. chuckle chuckle with little to no high pitch, he did this several times. I never laid eyes on him but could only imagine. I had other bulls bugling all around me but none were accessible and none were coming to my bugles. My 1400ft descend was in the dark. Thankfully Maria had returned to camp, I was beat.

24-Sep-16
Look forward to hearing the rest of your hunt.

It's refreshing to hear that USO was friendly and willing to help you out to a certain extent. Too many times outfitters become possessive and competitive of the territory due to $$$ involved and don't work together so everyone has a good hunt. It's great when two parties can work together as to not mess each others hunt up.

The property I hunt in Eastern CO for deer shares a common boundary (fence line for 5 miles) with a big outfitter. For years they acted like they owned the deer and would mess us up on purpose on that boundary so we didn't kill "their" deer. I finally got know their head guide who's a hell of a hunter and now they go out of their way to not mess up our hunt and we do the same for them. We've even both called each other when we knew of a big buck bedded on each others ground so their clients or our group could get a chance to kill it.

Hope to see a big bull at the end of this thread. Thanks for sharing.

25-Sep-16
Looking forward to the rest.

25-Sep-16
Lost a bull to a Rage or to a poor hit?

Glad you're getting into elk. Great place. I want to go back and fish there, sometime.

25-Sep-16
From what I was told the hit wasn't bad, sounded like poor penetration, long trail, and a night of heavy rain. They searched the following day to no avail.

25-Sep-16
Keep er' coming!

26-Sep-16
The suspense is killing me.. Did she get the decoy out?!

27-Sep-16
Well did you get him???????????

27-Sep-16
Either he did or got burned out as the thread started 2 days before the season ended.

27-Sep-16
"That evening after my hike and Maria's return we got to bed a tad later than I wanted"...mmmmhhmmmmmmm

And he stalls at "Get the decoy out?!?!?!?!" Caaamman man!

27-Sep-16
I knew it wasn't good when Maria came back! LOL, this waiting doesn't make the heart grow fonder... Mike

27-Sep-16
Lol. Killer!

27-Sep-16
I glance back at Maria to see if the decoy is deployed, nice, she did it so quietly I didn't hear it 5ft away.. my attention is back towards the elk. I gain a little more ground in the direction of the raking.

Maria makes the gesture w/ her hands 2 pointing up the ridge, there is another elk! This explains the bugle exchanges, he is on a string to the Raker. They are both uphill from us, I drop to my knees giving me a better view. The Raker is at 12 oclock, the intruder is at about 2 oclock. He is moving slow, a few steps and stops.. few steps and stops. He's at 1 oclock with small debris hanging in the way. I range him, 51yds. He stands like a statue, no doubt he is a shooter in my book.

2 more steps he turns only his head acknowledging the decoy and my homemade cow hat. Without effort he throws out a bugle as to say "its ok ladies, I got this", turns his focus back to the Raker and continues his stealthy approach. He made zero sound as he moved across the crunchy ground riddled with pin needles.

27-Sep-16

28-Sep-16
After realizing he wasn't overly interested in us cows I had to prepare myself for a 50yd shot, I adjusted my bottom sliding pin. I was sooo hoping to get the chance for a frontal. He continued his stalk on the Raker until he hit a lane that was the size of his vitals filled w/ nothing but air.

His slow approach made this picture perfect. I drew and punched the trigger sending my qad exodus at his vitals. I saw a flash of the arrow and heard the hit, that sweet sweet sound like hitting a pumpkin. He took off in a dead run straight down the hill towards the soft bottom, I immediately poured on the cow calls. The Raker oblivious to everything was dumbfounded and casually walked off.

I tried to hold off, but just had to get to where he was standing. Nothing, no blood, no tracks, no arrow.. I was puzzled and light was fading. I kept ranging a rock I was near to confirm the distance.. no dice. When it was time to turn on the lights I knew it was time to back out, we would probably do more harm than good.

28-Sep-16
In utter disbelief we returned to the campground and talked to an outfitter who was just hanging out after they had already harvested. He pulled out aerial photos the the entire Valle unit and speculated where he may have gone, two guys offered to help me in the morning which I gladly excepted their help and experience.

They suggested going in a little late w/ good light. We did, after repeating everything I did the night before I still couldn't put my finger on it. One guide, Mike, was looking well beyond where the bull was and asked me "are you sure he wasn't here?" I replied, no way would I shoot that far. He found scuff marks as the other guide, Paul, tried to cut a track below.

Mike: "I got blood"

Turns out I wasn't where I thought I was and the 50yd shot was shifted about 15yds, again I was so sure.

28-Sep-16
You lost me with "I was hoping for a frontal". Are you talking about the elk or Maria? It reads like you were ok with a 50 yard frontal? Really, what did I miss.

29-Sep-16
I was hoping to get a frontal shot on this hunt. Maria was hoping for a Texas heart shot! lol joking joking. He was 50yds perfect broadside.

29-Sep-16
When he bugled at us he only turned his head. It wasn't a typical posture for a bugle. He didn't stretch his neck out and lay his antlers back.

29-Sep-16
??Why were you hoping for a frontal shot??

29-Sep-16
Ya got me confused as well

'Turns out I wasn't where I thought I was and the 50yd shot was shifted about 15yds, again I was so sure'

Then ya typed

' He was 50yds perfect broadside'

This is turning into a 20 hour in Labor before the birth---haha

Good luck, Robb

29-Sep-16
I believe he's saying in the excitement he lost where he was standing or where the bull was standing and thus the 50 yard spot was off when looking for blood.

29-Sep-16
I'm just wondering if the real hunt took 8 days!

29-Sep-16
Link....X2

I'd get fired if I took this long to get a short article written.

We've also found out that "to be continued" articles don't do well because people lose interest or get pizzed off...

29-Sep-16
Longest. Story. Ever.

29-Sep-16
A little patience goes a long way. Ohiohunter is taking time out of his day to share his hunt with us and some of you aren't showing much appreciation. It's his story, let him tell it at the pace that he wants to.

29-Sep-16
never take a girlfriend on a hunt. Do one or the other. :)

29-Sep-16
^^^^agreed. Don't read if you aren"t interested.

29-Sep-16
Looking forward to the rest, Ohio!

More pics, too, I hope!

29-Sep-16

Easy ladies, I'd just rather type this story in my skibbies chewin on some cope at my own comp. During the day I just like to piss off the customers of rage broadheads.

Link, you are spot on in your assessment.

Mike: "I got blood"

I bee line it straight to him, Paul who is 3/4 side hilling stoops down "is that him". Sure enough less than 100yds away he was piled up. He was even turned around facing the direction he came from, I doubt he had any idea he was hit and was probably watching the Raker move on or heard the cow calls.

I was so elated, I was very pessimistic about this recovery based on the night before.

The blood trail, that we saw, was one drop followed by a splash about the size of 2 hands, from there you could see him. But still no arrow. The side shown is the exit.

We took some pictures and Mike went to find the arrow. He comes back, "I found your arrow, it was stuck in a tree!"

29-Sep-16

First thing Paul did was feel his ivory, he said its pretty flat he's an old bull probably on his down side. When I pulled off his jaw and looked he only had the one ivory. He also had what looked to be a broadhead scar along w/ a large yellow bubbly puss mess on his side, looked like a bruise.

29-Sep-16

First things first get the meat on ice then the final pack out. The last pack out would've been 2 trips but the camp next to us had some great guys willing to help, and gave him, Carmine, a chance to try out his new pack.

The shot was a tad high which would explain the immediate light blood trail, had he made it further I'm sure it would've opened up.

As always you're learning new things every time in the elk woods. I know I should've been a little more studious and less stubborn relative to my position (and the elk's) at the shot.

The elk in the Valle don't respond as well as you'd think to calls, and it wasn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be despite the elk numbers.

29-Sep-16

One thing would've made locating the shot would've been my illuminocks, but I was down to my last one and grouping 2 arrows (one bh and one fp) I busted it w/ my fp at 40yds. I guess thats a good and bad thing.

29-Sep-16

I had intended on sticking around but I knew this meat needed immediate attention and I needed the extra cargo of Maria's vehicle. I figured it was best to pack it up.

29-Sep-16
Very nice bull good story and congratulations.

29-Sep-16
Nice bull, thanks for the story

29-Sep-16
Great hunt! Fantastic bull.

thanks for sharing!

29-Sep-16

Thank you, VV was no cake walk. Everything is up unless you're spike camped.

Time for some stew!

29-Sep-16

Maria is great in the woods, she has no problems helping to pull back the skin while skinning and she debones the meat as I pluck off the quarters. She also packed out the straps and loins.

When she killed her elk she insisted on carrying, not packing, out her elk's head. I think her determination exceeds mine. Being mostly a solo hunter it was awesome to have her there to share the experience.

29-Sep-16
Great story and hunt. Thanks for sharing it with us.

--Mitch

29-Sep-16
Sa-weet! Thanks for the story and pics....you're a lucky man to have a wife like that. Congrats!

29-Sep-16
Great story Great bull!

29-Sep-16
Very very nice ! Congrats ! Hunt

29-Sep-16
Congrats on your bull. My guess is you have a 4 year old bull but the hunting area certainly holds some old bulls, it could be a much older bull.

29-Sep-16
Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.

29-Sep-16
Great write up and congrats! thanks for taking the time to share it.

29-Sep-16
Glunker, you could be right. He did only have one ivory and the inner portion of his middle molars were wore to the gum line. When I pull the head I'll post a pic.

I know I laid eyes on a few old bulls. The one I saw looked good from the side, but when he turned he was 48"+ to my untrained eye. Huge bodied animal. Talked to a guy who was part of a 55" 5x5 harvest.

29-Sep-16
Sweet!

29-Sep-16
Outstanding.... congratulations. Ed F

29-Sep-16

Here is the one tooth that fell out very early on during my process. This is one of the middle molars I was talking about.

29-Sep-16

There wasn't much holding it in.

30-Sep-16
Damn nice----you two are a good looking couple.

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

30-Sep-16
Great story-I hunted right close to that area within 30 miles of it I believe, with Ute Creek outfitters-cushy hunt compared to yours. Shot a big 5-5.

30-Sep-16
Congrats!

I seriously laughed out loud on the frontal/Texas Heart Shot paragraph....gotta love elk camp!!

30-Sep-16
Ohiohunter, thanks for taking us along on your hunt.. I enjoyed reading it, as I think a lot of others did too.... Ed

30-Sep-16
Congrats James! Sounds like a great hunt!

30-Sep-16
Congrats, I hunted the VV about 30 years ago and remember it like it was yesterday. A great experience.

30-Sep-16
Thank you again guys, is a beautiful place. It amazes me how many residents are clueless when I say Valle Vidal.

30-Sep-16
Great hunt, Great story. Sounds like you got a keeper on both counts.

30-Sep-16
thanks for sharing that great story,,,,and congrats on the fine animal!!

30-Sep-16
Awesome story. Congratulations and good work!

30-Sep-16
Congrats on a fine bull. Nice write up too!

30-Sep-16
thanks for the story Ohio. Congrats

Bill V

30-Sep-16
Thanks for sharing.

30-Sep-16

Age this elk

30-Sep-16
Congrats man thats a good bull for sure!

30-Sep-16
You can seen a deer's front tooth off to get it aged, I assume you can do the same with an elk?

Good bull.

Great experience.

Thanks for sharing.

30-Sep-16
Great bull B oil story. I would love to draw the VV some day.

• Sitka Gear