sticksender 28-Sep-16
APauls 28-Sep-16
Butcher 28-Sep-16
Proline 28-Sep-16
AccMan 28-Sep-16
Proline 29-Sep-16
AccMan 29-Sep-16
27-Sep-16
Had my first time in the tree the other night with a climbing stand, and already there are a few things I will do differently. Obviously not expecting the perfect smooth ride first time up. I bought a hand climber by XOP, essentially same as Lone Wolf.

My question is about adjusting the strap as you go up and down. Unfortunately I forgot my harness, as I was thinking I guess I would "dangle" from the tree and adjust the stand and then continue. What do you guys do? Poplar trees always have a rough barked bottom and then they thin out as you go up, so adjustments are for sure necessary when you get to hanging height. Of course being my first sit of the year I also forgot a rope, so I was wearing my pack with bow in it, perched on the seat and leaning down below me to adjust the stand bottom - definitely a recipe for disaster I do not want to repeat!! lol

27-Sep-16
Do not try that again! Never get in the stand without your safety harness. You will learn, if you don't break your neck first, to put the stand on at an angle. This way as the tree gets smaller, the platform will level out. It does take some practice. Please, please, use the harness and a pull rope. Don't want to read about you falling and wishing you had.

27-Sep-16
Yes, I know Jim. My problem is that the tree thins out MORE than I am able to compensate by putting the stand at an angle.

For example, going down I had the platform perfect when hunting, then half way down the tree I had to perch myself on the seat and adjust the platform to loosen it way off. By the time I got 4' from the bottom the stand was already almost at a 45 degree angle to the tree again. I only hung my stand about 18' up. I simply jumped off at this point. Never using it without a harness again that's for sure.

Simply put, there is no amount of angle that I can start at to have me roughly level when I get to the top. Of course this is based on one tree - but it's in the right spot, and it is a "normal" poplar tree so I foresee this every time.

27-Sep-16
That is why I got rid of the two climbers I had. First you need a limbless tree and even the LW's are noisy. A set of 4 sticks and a nice light hang on like the Chippewa wedge-Loc is the only way to go. I can be up a tree and settled in a tree almost as quick as a climber and a lot quieter! Shawn

27-Sep-16
Ive used 3-4 screw in tree steps to get up into the tree already . It gets me away from the wide base and where the tree starts to narrow a bit. Climbers arent a cure all for sure....

27-Sep-16
I'm not familiar with your model, but with mine it is very unsafe to attempt to re adjust the angle once partway up the tree. I've got myself into some scary predicaments trying it before. You get better at predicting what setting to place it at on the ground the more you use it. For me, with an average tree (14-16" at the base), I'll need close to a maybe a 30 degree, but never a 45. That's a lot of taper. It just might not work in those trees.

27-Sep-16
I have used a stand made by Arrowstar. It has belts like the lone wolf. The foot platform belt can be preloaded with a bungee cord that is attached inside the alum tubing. Then while climbing you place your wt. on the seat and while lifting with your feet, pull on the belt anchor and the bungee pulls the belt tight. Unfortunately they have gone out of business, so I don't know where you would find one.

27-Sep-16
Apauls, I've done the exact thing numerous times. Probably not the brightest nor easiest thing to do, but it works. That 15sec fix will make you sweat for sure.

On my lone wolf its hard, but at the same time its nice to be able to flick the lever open and palm the entire mechanism while you feed the belt through while catching each notch with the lever. On my ol'man is easy b/c the attachment is further from the tree and you can sit back further on the seat/climber giving you a more secure bite while working.

All I can say is be careful and tie yourself off, I wouldn't suggest it be done but sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do. Core strength is the key to quiet climbers.

27-Sep-16
Disclaimer: This is what I do. Do not try this.

Must have a harness & the stabilizer straps to attach both top & bottom sections together.

Next: while sitting, use your heel to lift the front edge of the platform to take tension off. Reach down & adjust the strap with one hand.

Really tough trying it with a summit as it almost requires two hands.

28-Sep-16
I've been using climbers for 25yrs and they are much like being a bowhunter. You must practice to become fast, quiet and comfortable. There are also lots of little adjustment to make the stand work best for you such as the right seat, ties / straps and padding to minimize noise. Always use a strap, always tie the sections together.

28-Sep-16

Jimbo's Link
I'm just glad you're alive to start this thread! You should never climb without a safety harness.

Take a look at the "Equalizer" treestand at the link. It's made to be adjustable as you climb the tree.

28-Sep-16

Bowfreak's Link
Apauls,

There is a stand designed to fix this very problem. I am not a big fan of climbing treestands but this is the one I plan to buy. Cougar Claw treestands. You can adjust it SAFELY while going up and down with no fear of the cable coming out of the stand.

As an aside I had the strike force climber from XOP. It undoubtedly was the worst climber I have ever used for climbing. It locked onto the tree great and it was comfortable but the position I had to get in to climb was horrible. I hated the stand so much I gave it away after one hunt.

28-Sep-16
After you climb a few trees you will figure out how to set the cables so the platform and climber level out as you climb the tree. I've had the platform start at a 45 degree angle on some trees, but by the time I get up 15ft the platform is level.

Unless the stand is designed to be adjusted while climbing, I would not recommend changing the cable positions except when on the ground.

28-Sep-16
You should not have to adjust the stand while ascending. Carry a couple steps with you if the tree has a really wide base. That way the stand can be a several feet off the ground.

28-Sep-16
Same as snap although probably shouldn't recommend that. Make sure the straps that connect the top and bottom stand are tight just in case you loose your grip the platform doesn't fall to the ground. Also keep your harness strap tight. Can't do my summit like that. Also with my lw I can adjust the belt higher on the tree and pull the platform out the down with my feet and help with leveling as well the tree is not too slick. If that makes sense

28-Sep-16
One word..........as Jimbo said ....Equalizer. Great climber but unfortunately they are no longer made I believe. The company was sold when the owner died a couple years ago and somehow the new owners never got it back up. Not sure the issue unless something changed. Like above I recently bought the Chippewa Wedgeloc. Great stand. Gives more flexibilty than a climber

28-Sep-16
I have a LW sit and climb and can adjust the belt in seconds; it's pretty fast and easy and I do it all the time.

As others have said, I always have my harness on and I have the two sections connected with the stabilizer straps.

I just sit on the seat portion, wrap my feet around the base section and lift slightly to loosen the tension/weight on the belt, then I lean forward usually with one shoulder against the tree and my head to the right side and then reach down, flip the right lever open and slide the belt.

28-Sep-16
Jimbo and Proline, X2 on the Equalizer and will solve the tree issue. Best stand I have ever owned. They have been threatening to start selling again, most recently were supposed to be selling again by the end of September but their web site says not ready yet due to some "technical glitches". I need parts for mine and if available again will by another as a spare because, as we all know, the second you by the best thing ever, they discontinue it.

28-Sep-16
Ol'Man Drone is my go to climber and both top/bottom have a turn buckle system to adjust as you go up/down while never disengaging the cable from the tree

Problem solved

28-Sep-16
Thanks Genesis. I see that model is no longer made. Do the new Ol Mans have the same setup?

28-Sep-16
I adjust my LW in the same manner as Cheesehead Mike mentioned above. Very simple and safe, as long as it's done correctly. It's extremely rare to find a tree I can climb without needing to adjust the platform belt on the way up.

28-Sep-16
Guess I really should have bought the sit and climb option. I've got the hand climber, so your forearms are on the seat, not your bum. I'm sure I'll iron out the wrinkles. For the past 5 years I have been using a LW hang-on and thought this would be nice for those straight poplars.

28-Sep-16
You can do it with the hand climber, sit on the seat, use the back of your heels to apply pressure to keep from slipping. I use my left hand to reach down and adjust

28-Sep-16
TC if they sell them again I also will buy one to hang onto. Great feature to level out. seat isn't the best so I rigged mine up with a Hazmore.

28-Sep-16
The Equalizer stand is being produced again. Buckhorn Outdoor Products bought out the original manufacturer. It is now called the Higher Level with several versions. They also sell replacement parts for the older Equalizers. They have been in production for about a year now.

https://squareup.com/market/buckhorn-outdoor-products-llc

29-Sep-16
Thanks Accman. They look very much the same. Will research. Have you used or seen one?

29-Sep-16
I saw them at the Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh NC. I have not used one but they look great and may pick one up there next year at the show. They are built in a small town outside of Raleigh. I have a friend that has a couple and swears by them, the only downside is weight. A bunch of the guys on Archery Talk have been buying them and I have heard nothing negative.

• Sitka Gear