dryone 02-Oct-16
Vail94 02-Oct-16
ELKMAN 03-Oct-16
Nesser 03-Oct-16
Dryone 04-Oct-16
ki-ke 04-Oct-16
5575 08-Oct-16
30-Sep-16
I am looking for any suggestions of what units and Guides to look at for the 2017 elk season that will give a chance at a 350 bull. We will have 9 points and will be hunting with rifle. We do not want to do a town hunt like most of unit 7 offers. I have been looking at unit 45 or 34 with Bighorn outfitters.

30-Sep-16
You will be looking to draw type 1 tag I'm guessing. Go to Eastman's Hunting Journal Forums. There are a lot more rifle hunters that hang out there and may be willing to share info. It helps if you can share some info about an area or state unit as well. Also....subscribe to their magazine and you an access their "MRS" section on various animals in various states. One of their monthly subscriptions will cover Wyoming ELK units.. Guy Eastman breaks down every single unit in Wyoming and gives you his assessment of trophy potential and points needed to draw it. Really informative. Best of luck

30-Sep-16
+1 ^^^^^^ what Jaeger63 said.

Good luck, Robb

30-Sep-16
I just hunted with Bighorn. Rich and Dustin are great guys along with all their guides. Let me know if you need some info. We did see a few nice 300+ bulls but none would come in close enough for me. Shot a nice 5x5 had a great time.

30-Sep-16
Unit 62 Wood River Ranch. Not one second's hesitation if you can draw the tag.

30-Sep-16
Marcus, you will not be disappointed if you hunt with Bighorn. These guys are hard-working family guys who love the hunt.

I personally won't stick my neck out for many people, especially outfitters, however these guys are good people. Hard working family guys, who know how to, and love to hunt.

PM sent.

30-Sep-16
I would talk with the biologist in the unit before I ever went off Eastman's estimates, their numbers seem to be grossly inflated.

30-Sep-16
Check out Beaver Trap Outfitters. They hunt Unit 38 and kill some pretty nice bulls. I just hunted there nd saw several that might meet your expectations.

30-Sep-16
Thanks for the info the hunt was originally going to be a archery hunt followed by a rifle hunt if needed. But I do not have the time or money for both hunts, so decided to go with rifle. I do get the Eastman's hunting journal but was looking for hunters who have used some of the guides that they recommend. Thanks

01-Oct-16
I think you're short on points for a 350 bull unit.

01-Oct-16
Rifle changes everything. Many of the bighorns units are not good or may not be accessable by rifle season. Look to a migration hunt west of the Bighorn valley.

01-Oct-16
45 was a tough hunt for me this year. 2 weeks, 80 -90 miles on boots and didn't draw my bow. Best bull I saw was maybe 320. Great country though.

01-Oct-16
If you draw a rifle tag you could then get the archery stamp and hunt a unit that the rifle hunt starts October 1 then hunt say 9 days archery and if you have to grab your rifle and get it done. Fred

01-Oct-16
62 can bow and rifle hunt. Griz.

01-Oct-16
To clarify Royboy's post, there's no such thing as a "rifle" tag in Wyoming. The only license that's weapon-specific is a Type 9 (Archery Only).

If you hunt during the special archery season, then you do require an archery license in addition to your elk license. However, if you elect to hunt with archery equipment during the regular season, you do NOT need an archery license. However, the florescent clothing requirement is in place during the regular season, regardless of weapon.

01-Oct-16
He doesn't have the points for 62.

01-Oct-16
Do yourself a favor and call Rich and Dustin at Bighorn Outfitters in Buffalo. Just returned from an archery elk hunt in the wilderness area of Unit 45. Hardworking, honest and a pleasure to be around. You won't regret booking with these guys.

02-Oct-16
Thanks Vail94,Im pretty sure we are going to use Bighorn outfitters just not sure if it will be unit 45 or 34. where you successful in your hunt?

02-Oct-16
I was not successful in getting the bull we were after. I had my chances. We were into elk nearly every day. More importantly, though, I wouldn't hesitate going back.

03-Oct-16
A friend of mine had 45 this year, and they said it is the most over rated hunt they have ever been on...JS

03-Oct-16
I would second that! Definitely not an 8-10 point unit. Maybe it was and someday will be again but not this year.

04-Oct-16
Thanks again for the info I think I will stay away from 45 and maybe just go with 34. Unless I can find a guide that has camp hunts in unit 7.

04-Oct-16
Dryone

I'm paddling the same boat. 1 point less than a realistic shot at 62 or an equivalent unit where 350 bulls show up on a more than occasional basis.

Like you, I'm not overly keen on a town hunt, or a ranch hunt where the hunting is centered around ag fields. I am Bowhunting, so that might open a few additional doors. I relish the idea of a camp hunt, but will consider a ranch hunt in an LE unit.

I'm a DIY guy at heart, but the heart in my heart wants to hunt big, undisturbed Bulls one time in exchange for 10 years of accumulating points.

I do have some ideas and what seem to be wonderful leads, but I'm still looking for another seasoned suggestion or 2 prior to burn time.

Steve

08-Oct-16
My buddy is a small outfitter and has a dream ranch in WY and only takes one hunter a week on 20K acres. His hunters are 100% on bulls over 300 inches, mainly archery hunts but he does take a rifle hunter or two a year. You'll see 200-750 head of elk a day and that's no joke. Takes about 6 pref points to draw and a 340-370 bull is very possible. Best archery bull this year went 376. PM me if your interested, its the real deal.

• Sitka Gear