Pigsticker 01-Oct-16
Pigsticker 01-Oct-16
WausauDug 01-Oct-16
Genesis 03-Oct-16
Genesis 03-Oct-16
Mike the Tiger 04-Oct-16
Candor 04-Oct-16
30-Sep-16
Anyone have any experience with this stand? I like the looks and functionality from what I can see.

photo ACTS_zpse9djy3rf.jpg

30-Sep-16
Get a set of climbing sticks and a light hang on(Chippewa, LW). Why limit yourself to a certain type of tree with a climber. Also you will be much quieter setting up then using a climber. Time wise, the climber may be a tad quicker but way noisier. Shawn

30-Sep-16
Anyone?

30-Sep-16
My good hunting buddy uses the non-aluminum version of this stand. He loves it, and I am always jealous when I see him laid up with the gun rest turned into a foot rest.

Not so much jealous when he is dragging around that heavy steel stand, so the Alumalite should be an awesome stand.

30-Sep-16
I've used a bunch of climbers and I really like the build of this one. I've been thinking of buying a new one next year and this is it. Folds up flat, the aluminum is relatively light, 20lbs. and I like net seats because you can stand up to shoot and they slide back quietly. Climber or Hang-On? my thought is its personal preference like blondes or brunettes. I'm a climber guy because over the years I'm just more comfortable w/ them.

30-Sep-16
I'm a big fan of Ol'Man climbers. My favorite. But I only have experience with the originals. None with the aluminum version, so can't give experienced info.

I will say I changed out the seats on my other climbers with the net seats like Ol'Man uses. I do prefer them. They don't get in the way like those on the Summits and others do. And pack better, IMO.

I can also say that as far as I normally pack in a climber, 10 extra lbs doesn't affect me at all. ;-)

I would LOVE to try one of those out though. :-)

30-Sep-16
seen a steel version in the woods , did not climb with it, it must have weighed 30Lbs

01-Oct-16
My cousin hunted out of an original for years. Sold it and bought the Alumalite. He is a big fan of the Ol Man. ihave used one, it is comfortable and carries easily

01-Oct-16
Bought one and gave it away!

01-Oct-16
I am sitting in a twenty year old man as I respond to this thread.

01-Oct-16

Pigsticker's MOBILE embedded Photo
Pigsticker's MOBILE embedded Photo

Hopefully, photo will load.

01-Oct-16
Pigsticker, looks like nice climbing in that pine!

03-Oct-16
I love Ol Man stands .This model doesn't pique my interest much as it is light in weight.

Unless packing VERY long distances a steel ol man gives better stability while ascending/descending.

Ol Man stands carry better than others because the weight is closer to the spine as well.Don't be run off due to the heaviness of them,it's an advantage with safety imo.

The one inherent falw is the floppy hose/cable which in the newer versions are prone to hanging up and catching on things.

So for early season when ivy and muscadines etc are on trees I prefer the API climbers (modified) with the stiff motorcycle chain .....

Ol Man seats are awesome

03-Oct-16
"Get a set of climbing sticks and a light hang on(Chippewa, LW). Why limit yourself to a certain type of tree with a climber. Also you will be much quieter setting up then using a climber."

Where did he say that's the only stand he will ever own??Mark owns every assortment of stand there is .

Lots of good applications for climbing stands that will stomp setting up a lock on in the dark.

Noise in a non factor with a climber.....in fact it's almost similar to rattling as I've "called up" several young bucks while I was climbing loud trees.

Climbing slowly, climbers can be pretty stealthy next to bedding areas and I prefer this modality to a lock on that leaves residual scent the day after hunting it.

Anyone sticking to one type of set up is missing the boat imo.

04-Oct-16
The Ole Man is a well made stand. The only knock against it is that I found it a little scary climbing hardwood trees, pine trees ok. Look at pigstickers photo, the sharp grating that digs into the tree is too dull for hardwoods. I find if you are not very careful you can slide down the tree. Your weight must stay on the outside of the chair. Take a look at the TreeWalker climbing stand, the the metallic screws that dig into the tree make this stand much safer IMHO.

04-Oct-16
I tried the Ol'Man and did not like it because of the floppyness of the cable system. I bought a TreeWalker and like it very much.

I agree with Genesis. There is no "one stand fits all" - like boats if you want something for different uses you need a different boat. I love my Loggy Bayou climber and use it sometimes and use the Treewalker others. Some applications I require loc-ons some I prefer a climber.

Of course I need an outbuilding to store all my junk.

• Sitka Gear