BigOzzie 01-Oct-16
houndy65 05-Oct-16
PAstringking 05-Oct-16
PAstringking 05-Oct-16
Hopeless Place 26-Oct-16
Matt 26-Oct-16
IVL 27-Oct-16
30-Sep-16
What state would you look at focusing on for cats? I am looking to spend around $5000 for a hunt. I would like to plan the hunt during Christmas vacation in a few years.

30-Sep-16
NM or UT

30-Sep-16
Unless you are looking specifically for a dry ground, horseback type hunt, then the farther north you go, the better your chances of having good snow conditions. Even here in Colorado, we only have decent snow in about half the state for most of the winter. The biggest problem out of state hunters have is showing up for a scheduled hunt only to find out there is no snow and its 50 degrees all week. Lions leave just as much scent on dry ground as they do in snow. Hounds can run a track on either but the advantage you have on snow is that you know if it's a female that you don't want to waste your time with or it's a tom, the direction of travel, about how old the track is and whether it's a mature tom or a female. Just keep in mind, lions don't leave tracks on frozen dirt.

30-Sep-16
Hey Matt, try cat track outfitters in colorado. He has several good reports here. Shot my tom on day 1 or my hunt in 2012. He does good dry or snow.I think he is running 4800 or so. Great guy. Any questions send a pm and I'd be happy to answer

30-Sep-16

PAstringking's embedded Photo
Idaho is good and don't need snow

30-Sep-16
Also, the Navajo Reservation is plagued with lions right now. Might not be a bad hit either. Contact Window Rock headquarters.

01-Oct-16
Montana is great I cheer each time I see one tagged. oz

05-Oct-16
I am a life long houndsman,if I had to pick a place to hunt for a trophy cougar I would pick Alberta and go with Cougar outfitters, Jay Fuller. I knew cougar outfitters former owner John Cassidy way back when. If you want a chance at a B&C cat, that is where you want to go.

05-Oct-16

Utah isnt bad either....

05-Oct-16

In Wyoming it can snow at basically any time...this was September

26-Oct-16
None. British Columbia.

26-Oct-16
Another thought - find someone who hunts them where you elk or deer hunt. You may not find yourself hunting in a trophy area per se, but you can help the herds you hunt and learn your area better in the process.

27-Oct-16
I read his original post, did not make mention of a trophy cat. simply stated a cat hunt. The best idea out there was to hunt cats where he deer or elk hunts, good advice if that's a possibility start there. next i would look at ease of tag some not all are over the counter, and he wants to hunt during Christmas vacation. pick the area with the best conditions for that time frame. some places don't get snow around that time and if the outfitter has snow dogs only that could be a problem. You need to decide what type of terrain you would like to hunt because there are so may different types of terrain out west all are equally good but what do you prefer? everyone wants to kill a cat but what type of hunt do you want to make a memory of a life time! Horseback and dry ground in AZ, UT, NM. MIx of snow and Dry ground in ID, CO, Deep snow In MT, WY. A lot of things to decide then you can star a new thread one your ready to ask about an outfitter!

• Sitka Gear