>>>---WW----> 04-Oct-16
Amoebus 04-Oct-16
Rut Nut 04-Oct-16
78cj5 04-Oct-16
JLS 04-Oct-16
Blackbear3 04-Oct-16
IdyllwildArcher 04-Oct-16
03-Oct-16
I'd like some ideas on ease & practicalness on how some of you start a fire in the woods for those times one is needed? My son & I were on an elk hunt this year & on one of the midday times we were freezing our arse off & it took us 15 minutes to get one going. We got it done but I sure would have liked to have been more efficient at it, I felt like I was rubbing two sticks together! (grin)

What are some of your thoughts on what you carry, thanks!

ElkNut1

03-Oct-16
Coleman fuel always worked well in Alaska!

03-Oct-16
I had to do the same thing this year. When we left camp it was a light drizzle. By time we got 2 1/2 miles in we were soaked and it was snowing. I always carry a small fire kit and I have a toilet paper roll stuffed with dryer lint. It didnt take any time to get the fire going.

03-Oct-16
I carry a little magnesium stick starter, a film can with cotton balls covered in Vaseline, some fine steel wool (fantastic tinder starter) and a couple of the little slow-burn commercial fireplace starters that are about as big as a Jolly Rancher candy. That fits in the corner of my little survival kit.

If I can't get a fire going with those steps, I deserve to die...

:)

03-Oct-16
Jack hit it on the button- he must be a Boy Scout because that is the Boy Scout way. Two items that I would add is: small candle or two and a bic lighter.

03-Oct-16

Rut Nut's Link
I have a mini Bic Lighter and a couple of these bad boys(Wet Fire Tinder cubes). Never needed to use more than one per fire. Very lightweight and small. I keep a couple in my survival kit.

03-Oct-16
I have't seen those fire starters, gonna have to keep an eye out.

On a whim I picked up some starters that are paper bags filled with slow burning materials. Bag is about the size of a small mtn house meal, just light the bag. They do burn slow and probably could serve as a short time stand alone flame.

03-Oct-16
Always two mini Bic lighters as well, but I've been in situations with wet hands where the lighters didn't work. That's why I also have one of the little punch-strikers. Those always work.

My little survival kit is tailored to produce the headline, "Injured Hunter found safe after storm".

03-Oct-16
A 9 volt battery and some steel wool will work. Pull a piece of the steel wool apart and lay some dry grass on top. Touch the battery to it and it'll spark and heat up. Blow on it to get the grass going and add small twigs etc...

03-Oct-16
https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-7940-Fire-Stick-Pack/dp/B000I6I97W/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475510391&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=caughlan%2Bfire%2Bsticks&th=1

One little pack of these will last several seasons.

03-Oct-16

Rut Nut's Link
Don't know what that link didn't work. Try this one.

03-Oct-16
I second Jaquomo - I have had the Bic lighters fail in the rain and my fingers have failed in the cold (couldn't spin the wheel, nor could I hold a match). Anything that requires fine dexterity gets worse as you get colder.

03-Oct-16
Trioxane, it's amazing stuff.

03-Oct-16
Every hunter should read Jack London's classic short story, "To Build a Fire". Really makes you think about ALL of the variables.

03-Oct-16
I carry tampons, and a striker. Just pull the fluff out of the tampon, it ignites quickly.

The hardest part is finding dry leaf duff,twigs, whatever, to get the initial blaze hot enough to burn sticks, but If you find a big enough spruce, it will be dry around the base usually.

Best of Luck, Jeff

03-Oct-16
I have my mini stove with me in my pack and it starts up a fire ASAP!

03-Oct-16

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
I use cardboard and saw dust with wax on it! Works like a champ. And I always have a couple lighters around. Hunt

03-Oct-16
in Arkansas I take pine knots ... I shave them into little splinters and they ignite easily under the worst of conditions

03-Oct-16
Remember, 2 Bic lighters. There's a chance one will deploy and leak, but little chance 2 will.

03-Oct-16
Magnesium fire starter and a film canister with Vaseline soaked dryer lint packed in a Ziploc snack bag with some extra dryer lint.

The kids especially, make a big deal about harvesting "quality" dryer lint for me when it's their turn of duty to do laundry. And once you flick a simple spark at some dryer lint, you'll be glad to have everybody in the house excited to pull every bit of lint from your lint trap.

I also carry one packaged tri-ox tab.

03-Oct-16
We call these the "scoutmaster specials". Easy to make, we spend a couple hours a year making them.

Left over candles (anything you can get) Sawdust Dixie cups

Fill each Dixie cup about half full of sawdust Pour melted wax in each cup stir with a stick Make sure you get the sawdust good and saturated.

Once cooled, we put them in a zip lock

These will provide a 4" flame for about 20-30 minutes. Lights easy and burns long enough to get kindling going.

I always have at least 2 in my pack, and in each of our vehicles.

James

03-Oct-16
Definitely the Vaseline soaked cotton balls or dryer lint, they give you the burn time you need to Make something happen! Steel fire starters are cheap and light, I carry one in my pocket and another in my pack.

03-Oct-16
Pine pitch is all you need while in the Mountains. The yellow sap will last a long time once lit.

03-Oct-16
I have cotton, gauze etc in my first aid kit as well as several packets of neosporin, which has a petroleum jelly base (Vaseline) and burns well. Two lighters (one for cigars...) as well as the magnesium striker.

Have only tested it at home. Always got a good hot one going with what I carried pretty easy, even with the striker. The test as mentioned above will be finding decent fuel in the conditions where you really NEED a fire. Long story about a foot of snow in OR back in the 70s and the handful of matches and the candle I carried didn't cut it. Have carried a real fire starter ever since.... never been lost, but have been misplaced a time or two.... =D

Used the neosporin this year though.... found all about what I was told later is called "spanish dagger".....

03-Oct-16
Rut Nut is spot on. Those Wet Fire tinder cubes work like a champ. Just got back from AK on a river moose float and it rained and/or snowed every day. Most all wood was at least damp. Just hit the tinder cubes with a lighter and they ignite instantly. They burn very hot and last a few minutes, long enough to start a fire with small sticks and keep adding larger pieces of stick and finally larger logs. Most of the time you don't even have to use a whole cube, just about a half of one.

03-Oct-16
I usually carry 2 bic lighters in a ziplock bag, flint/steel, about 50 strike anywhere matches with the heads dipped in wax for waterproofing, and some solid fuel pellets. The pellets burn for 5 min or better and provide enough heat to make a canteen cup of coffee each. The dryer lint and Vaseline is also an amazing tool. 3-6 oz of equipment can keep you warm all night.

03-Oct-16
Thanks guys, some great ideas here! I've heard of some but have yet to try them out! Next year I will definitely be more prepared with fire starting material. Good stuff here!

ElkNut1

03-Oct-16
Goldenrod galls (from some type of wasp), fuzz sticks dipped in parrafin and dry TP.

I had a magnesium stick desinegrate in my pack once. Not sure why something like that would oxidize to the point it was worthless.....

The tampons in the serious first aid kit would probably work too.

Jack London's "To build a fire" is a must read.

03-Oct-16
A lot of good ideas have been given. I'll add that practice is important since starting a fire in the snow and rain can be quite a challenge even when you aren't cold, shivering and numb-fingered. Next time you get a chance, go out in the snow or rain and start a fire using the supplies you usually carry while hunting. It will tell you a lot about whether your fire kit and skills are adequate or whether you need improvement.

03-Oct-16
Nothing like trioxane and a spark to get a fire started.

Lint from the dryer is good too, but doesn't compare to a bar of trioxane.

03-Oct-16

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo

03-Oct-16
Atleast 1 bic lighter, pack of matches and a flint striker all in separate plastic bags; if 1 fails you have two more. I also always have a bag of dryer lint.

On a side note, if you haven't already, everyone should read "To Build a Fire" by Jack London. This story hit me hard when it comes to being able to build a fire in any and all conditions.

03-Oct-16
I use Coughlin's fuel pellets that you put in the esbit stoves. Works every time. Weighs nearly nothing too. If you can find dry tinder, you'll get a good fire in a minute or less.

Had the same thing happen about 4 years ago. Was hunting the wilderness and rain yurned to snow in about 15 minutes In the 15 minutes it rained, I got soaked. Gathered up some dry rhodedendron twigs right off the shrubs and, used the fuel tablet to get them going. In 15 minutes I had a fire you had to stand back from. Used another tablet when I got back to camp that night too. EVERYONE was HAPPY I brought the little things.

They aren't expensive or cheap. But, I caught them on sale about 5 yeras ago and bought several hundred for less than $20. They burn for about 10 minutes. Plenty of time to get a good fire going. God Bless

03-Oct-16
From someone who's spent a night in the woods, the lower / inner dead conifer branches get your initial flame into a fire. I overheard this from another hunter one time who spent the night in CO and really helped me out in my excursion.

03-Oct-16
Firesteel and trioxane. Petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls work well, and I still use them occasionally but trioxane works very well in all conditions.

03-Oct-16
Ever see Fritos as a fire starter? Those things burn forever. Light 'em on fire. Don't ever eat those things.

03-Oct-16
carry a strip of bicycle inner tube about 2" x 10" available anywhere guaranteed to get you going. it will work.

03-Oct-16

orionsbrother's Link

04-Oct-16
A roadside flare works great on a rainy day, gives you 30 minutes to get a fire going

04-Oct-16
You really carry a roadside flare in your backcountry hunting pack?

Sounds like a good idea, but...

04-Oct-16
LOL! pretty good.

I've tried to pack flares but when they pull you off the plane and ask you about them it can be embarrassing.... not to mention inconvenient.... they don't understand the whole boyscout "be prepared" thing...

04-Oct-16

Ksholle1's embedded Photo
When I am in the back country, I usually pack some Esbit fuel tablets. They are light and burn extremely well. I normally cut the tablet into quarters and only use one at a time. They are light and something I always carry.

04-Oct-16

04-Oct-16
The best thing is practice. I am a teacher and have an outdoor ed class every year and the kids think they know how to start a fire until they try. The kids that have been lighting fires all their lives have no problems though.

Wet rotten wood and no air flow are the two biggest culprits to a fire that just won't start.

A good knife can help you get dry wood.

Lots of tips above about good things to have but practice with them and learn how to start a fire in the rain at home then in the field it will be second nature.

04-Oct-16
Since we are talking about making fire in times of need and usually includes rain or snow - what are some tricks to getting a fire going during those conditions? Not the actual starter but finding the right wood, making wind breaks, etc.

Just want to hear your experiences/advice. I'll chime in later.

04-Oct-16
Ah. A literal flaming fire.

Not an inflammatory thread about Rage BHs on elk or where the heck is TBM

Still, at least I know now what to carry to start a fire

04-Oct-16
to get a fire going in wet conditions, big heavy pine trees are your ticket. They usually provide enough protection underneath from the rain to at least get the fire started and the tiny dead branches are the ticket for getting a fire going. if you have a lighter, you can light these little branches directly without need of a starter. you can usually find dry pine needles on the ground around the base of the tree that help as well. Just remember this tip, if the branches are loaded with snow, shake them off before you start building your fire underneath them.

the most common mistake I see people make with fire starting is they try to use too big of wood too quickly. Literally get the smallest stuff you can find preferably nothing larger than a soda straw (toothpick size if best) and slowly add increasing larger material.

if you can't find any dry stuff, then you get take dead branches and shave the outer wet layer off till you get down to the dry wood. then you can make a handful of dry shavings to get it going.

04-Oct-16
My youth pastor at church asked me to do a male geared youth even and I decided to show them how to build a fire without any sort of "fire starter." Of course I decided to try it at home first.

I used the bow and arrow method. Had I not done it at home, I can tell you it probably would not have worked for me outdoors even though I thought I knew how to do it. Wood selection would have killed me. Ex) Pine is a no-go (wouldn't have guessed. Learned a lot, and looked like a cave man jumping up and down in the garage when I got it going. Now I'd say I could prob make it happen in a survival situation.

I think everyone should try it once :)

04-Oct-16
Thanks again for the recommendations folks! Here's what I've decided on!

The Cubes, several have shared that one, they look great despite cost! Cotton Balls with Vaseline, 1 Bic lighter, waterproof matches! This should serve me well.

I've always carried things to get a fire going in the back country but my starting kit need serious upgrading. This should help me out immensely, see you can teach an old dog new tricks, thank you!

ElkNut1

04-Oct-16
Wet fire brand fuel cubes work great. Used them for years, and as far as I know they don't go bad, get waterlogged, etc.

However, this summer I picked up a pack of Weber charcoal starters at Home Depot. They are the same chemical (the name of which escapes me) and slightly larger than the other brand. BIG DIFFERENCE - 24 pack at the Depot was like $4, compared to around $10 for 6 or 8 wet fires.

I keep 3 or 4 in my emergency kit at all times. And a handful in the truck console just for campfires. They burn for an honest 20 minutes or so. And as some others mentioned, You don't need to burn a whole cube. Shave a little off with a pocketknife and stow the rest. Good Luck

04-Oct-16
Elknut, test out your "waterproof matches" beforehand and make sure they will strike in wet conditions, with a damp striking medium. I learned my lesson the hard way (similar to the victim in Jack London's story) and tossed them after that in favor of the little push-striker, which always works.

Also, test your Bic lighter at least once a season. As others have pointed out, and I also learned Bic lighters can "go bad" over time.

04-Oct-16

Grubby's Link
I had to reread "to build a fire" it had been a while.

04-Oct-16

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
This is my basic "go everywhere" fire kit, always in my survival kit whether hunting, hiking, scouting, backcountry fishing, whatever. Fits in a pouch the size of a cigarette pack.

04-Oct-16
Jaq, I hear you sir! I did have a bic lighter in my kit, it worked for two thumb strikes & then went kaput! No doubt they need to be replaced yearly! I keep my matches in a small ziploc bag along with my other fire starting materials. I will go with the water proof matches this time & may even melt wax over ends for extra protection, all in a ziploc which seems to work very well.

It sure is true how ones fingers do not operate smoothly when it gets darned cold, I hope all take that thought to heart when in the woods & a fire is needed. I've always been prepared as is my son to start a fire but this year a real upgrading was in store & I'm glad so many here shared their thoughts & ideas, thank you all!

ElkNut1

04-Oct-16
I carry Esbit tablets (As noted above) as I use them in my stove also.

I used them in 2013 on a MT elk hunt that went all Bear Grylls on me. I was lucky that I was camped in an old abandoned hunting camp as they left wood. (It was very old). I had to sort through the rotted chunks but was able to light 3 fires to dry me and my gear out.

04-Oct-16
I always carry two Bics. Usually one in my pocket or pack and the other in a vacuum sealed pouch. Another trick is to remove the child safety clip so you can strike it even with cold fingers that don't have much feeling left in them.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkhQ1KwqyT0

04-Oct-16

Amoebus's Link
Elknut - If you want to cover your bases, get the push striker like Jaquomo (and others) have shown. I have had wax-covered matches in a ziploc (which will let in water in wet conditions) that wouldn't start. Once the wood part of the match gets wet, it wicks up to the striker end and they are no good.

All the materials in the world do you no good if you cannot get a spark to them.

The video is a good demonstration of using a birch polypore (mushroom) in starting a fire.

04-Oct-16
Thanks guys. I have seen those "sparkie" fire starters in the catalogs, but wondered how they work. Think I will pick one up to add to my survival kit. Looks very easy to use and I like the fact it's one hand operation.

04-Oct-16
One thing I carry that hasn't been mentioned is alcohol wipes. Very small, light, and you can carry several of them. With the vaseline I add germ-x to the cotton balls in a pill case. Just make sure it is pretty much air-tight so it doesn't evaporate. I carry a striker for an oxy-acetelene torch that you can pick up at any welding shop. If you find a lightning struck pine, or one that has been injured get the hard sap and shave it down. A few tea candles and dryer lint work well also.

04-Oct-16

JLS's embedded Photo
JLS's embedded Photo
I make mine out of egg cartons, dryer lint, and paraffin wax. Fill the cups up with lint and then pour the melted wax on top. You can add a piece of cotton string for a wick if you are feeling fancy. I make a batch every winter.

I carry two lighters and waterproof matches.

Lower branches off of a Douglas Fir are great for a fire. Dead whitebark pines are great. Find some pitch to create more heat.

As in "To Build a Fire", think about WHERE you are building your fire. Not only for protection from snow, wind, and rain, but can you sit by it and warm up or are you still standing in the rain or snow?

04-Oct-16
In my fanny pack I carry a large pill bottle with a Bic lighter, matches and some trick birthday candles (the kind you can't blow out) . I also carry a 9volt battery, steel wool and a large candle in a tin in my large pack. The steel wool burns like crazy when you short it out on the battery. If you pop the blisters on spruce trees you can get resin to put on tinder too, it burns like crazy.

04-Oct-16
I once lit a fire during a downpour in the Selkirks using wood that'd been rained on for days.

Here's how I did it: You need to make two teepees. The outer (larger) teepee is made with small dead trees. 3-4 inches wide and 6-12 feet tall are the best. This outer teepee keeps the rain off of the inner fire. It's open on one side, but at least 80% of the circle should be enclosed with a lot of brush to keep the rain off of the inner fire. The opening should be towards the wind to fuel the fire.

On the inside, you build a 2nd teepee. It should be about 3 feet high and be made from the dead sticks that are on the bottom of most conifers. Spruce are great because they keep their lower branches dry by their design to sluff off snow. The branches should be 1/2-1 inch in diameter and leave all the small sticks attached.

Assuming the inner teepee wood is wet, which was the case when I made my fire, it needs to get dried off before it'll light well. This is done by using your stove. The flame from the stove should not be touching the wood or it'll just burn it and not start a fire above it because the wood above is wet. Place the stove under the smaller teepee which also should be enclosed about 80%, but have an opening for you to get your stove in and out.

Turn the stove on and let it run for 15 minutes or so. Again, make sure it's not lighting the inner teepee on fire. If it does, your stove could explode. You just want it to heat up the wood. You should see steam coming out of the wood above it. Once it appears dry, put squares of toilet paper or fire starter into the small branches of the inner teepee and lift your stove to light them, then remove the stove. The inner teepee should light. Be careful not to smother and add wood very slowly so as to not suck the heat out of the fire. Once you have coals, you're golden.

Eventually, the bigger teepee will light and you'll have a raging inferno so plan accordingly. Adding more wet trees to the outside maintains your structure and keeps the outer teepee from burning too much.

When I lit this fire, it was literally raining cats and dogs and the wood was soaked. Not only did I get a fire started, but I kept it going. If you're by yourself, you're going to need to have a large supply of wood ready to go before you light it. I had 3 guys collecting wood while I baby-sat the fire. Eventually, we were able to warm up, but it took a lot of wood.

• Sitka Gear