Glunt@work 27-Oct-16
Glunt@work 27-Oct-16
Mr.C 28-Oct-16
smokey 29-Oct-16
03-Oct-16

Rut Nut's Link
You guys hear about this?

03-Oct-16
I did read that and take notice of the bear going through the spray. That's my worst fear about spray.

03-Oct-16
That is one bad MOFO!! Glad he made it!! Could not get to his pistol in time. I would of thought after the first attack he would of had it in his hand on the way out. Shawn

03-Oct-16

fawn's Link
Although the bear spray didn't stop the bear, the guy survived the attack. Here's an article comparing lethal force v bear spray and it looks like so far, the body of evidence shows bear spray is the most effective.

03-Oct-16
Wait there's 3 sides to every story, The guys side, the bear's side and the truth. I just find it hard to believe the part about spraying the shit out of the bear. "I" know of no bears stories where a bear took a full shot of bear spray and stayed around. Glad the guy was able to tell the story. Ed

03-Oct-16
Flavoring........must have been a cajun bear.

Glad the guy got out in one piece and was able to get medical help. Showed it to my wife....probably a poor choice on my part.

03-Oct-16
Bear spray is a joke!ask that guy how affective it was on a sow grizz with cubs ,,,bet he draws next time..I would have been shooting at 50 yrds because a died bear cant maul you

03-Oct-16
I discharged a can of bear spray once on purpose just to see. It shot a charged spray pattern well past 30' and large enough to cover a 5' radius or so as in a shotgun pattern.

The lingering mist, or whatever you call it, in the air was enough to cause you to cough, eyes water, and nose run.

A full blast in the face could only cause severe discomfort to say the least. In the event I had to use it, I would discharge the entire canister.

As for draw and fire, you'd better be an excellent marksman when a fight or flight situation comes up, otherwise you can empty a magazine without even knowing you did it.

03-Oct-16
I used bear spray once with fine results. A really big bear was headed right at me. I pulled the spray can, waved it in the air and yelled like a drunk Packers fan. That bear ran like hell and didn't look back.

03-Oct-16
Bear spray in one hand .44 in the other !!

03-Oct-16
He had a gun from what I read. Never got it drawn. After second attack he found it still in holster, bear had tore the holster off him.

Lucky dude to still be alive.

Now I wonder if FWP will consider this aggressive, predatory behavior?

03-Oct-16
Kevin, I think what scared the bear off in your case was you acting like a drunk Packers fan, not the spray so much. Packers have had this effect on Bears for years now.

04-Oct-16
Probably hard to think straight when you are put in that situation, but I'm surprised that he didn't get the gun in his hand to use if the bear spray didn't work. I would use the gun first to fire a shot in the air, hoping the sound would scare off the bear.

My son has used bear spray on a large charging grizzly and had it work as planned. A friend of mine shot a charging female grizzly in the chest with his elk hunting rifle, then proceeded to get his leg and back chewed up pretty badly. He was getting dragged off by the already shot bear, when his friend shot it twice more to finally kill it. Without his friend, he would have been dinner. I also know someone who got charged when they had a rifle in their hand, and the guy admitted that he just froze, and didn't do anything, luckily it was just a bluff charge. I don't feel comfortable with just the bear spray either, but better than I do without it.

04-Oct-16
Very lucky man indeed!

I'm surprised he didn't get the gun out as soon as he spotted the bear, and definitely after the initial attack!

Of course every scenario is different and like Mike Tyson says "everybody has a plan...............until they get hit in the face!" ;-)

I've never had any experience with Grizzly's, but have had some close encounters with black bears here in PA. Had one come in on me while I was bowhunting on the ground. Once it got closer than 30y the pistol came out. The thing bluff charged me a couple times and stopped just out of arms reach popping it's jaw and raking a sapling with it's claws the last time. I was able to back out of there, but had the pistol aimed at him the entire time. If he had come 1 more foot I would have shot. After that exprerience, the pistol comes out EVERY time as soon as I see a bear. Even when I am up in my treestand.

04-Oct-16
Climb.on

That was a good one and also true! lol

04-Oct-16
Ouch. Very very ouch.

The guy was lucky the bear didn't go full on 'Revenant' otherwise we'd be reading his obit. not seeing his 'there I was, getting mauled by a bear...' video

Walk softly....and carry adequate bear protection

04-Oct-16
I just don't think pistols on grizzlies/brownies is the best choice unless you are amazing under pressure. I mean how many guys (including myself) miss stationary objects while hunting let alone a charging man killer.

Shotguns or pepper spray would be first defense then pistol at close range.

I still go back to Nick M. video of him hunting over bait and watching those two gizzs come in. They look like Ray Lewis on crack.

Either way, the best defense is taking a buddy who is a little slower than you.

04-Oct-16
Nothing is fool proof. Maybe his can was old and therefore not as effective. A mother bear protecting Cubs is probably the meanest creature you can come up against. I doubt F&G will shoot her because she was doing what nature intended, lucky guy to make it out alive.

04-Oct-16
Rut nut. That Tyson quote is wrong. It's: "Everyone hath a pwan. Until they get hit in the fathe."

Glad I've never been charged. With my shooting skills I'm certainly safer using a can of spray than I am a gun. But I'd rather not find out with either.

04-Oct-16
When I hunt in g-bear country I trust bear spray over a pistol. If a bear got me and I was able to get my hand on the bottle, I feel if I only was able to spray even thought it was still in the holster I have a chance.

What do you think is the time from when you see the changing bear till they are on you?? My guess is less than 5 seconds. 5 seconds being long. I have over the years watched a few u tube videos of bear charges. I think most, the bear where only 30 yard from the guys from when they saw them for the first time. Most bear charges come from thick cover my guess is.

Ed

04-Oct-16
LOL Will! :)

Yep, nothing is foolproof. And who knows what each of us is capable of until we are in that situation. But my preference is to bet on the gun rather than a can of spray.

BTW, I shoot a lot with my pistol and feel very confident with it. Several years ago I got one of those lazer sights that automatically goes on when the finger goes in the trigger guard. Very simple to use(no buttons to push) and tightens up the groups surprisingly!

That said, I pray I never have to test it on a bear(especially a griz! ;-)

04-Oct-16
Bear spray data reports that attacks will be fully deterred or drastically truncated by bear spray. Looks like the bear spray worked...on the lower end of spectrum but nonetheless.

I wonder if the second attack wasn't one of the other bears. He said the second was worse. A mother and sub adults can approximate size. Not the case if obviously smaller.

04-Oct-16
Owl, I was wondering the same thing. They all look alike to us, and maybe the second attack was a different bear. They'd have to determine DNA from saliva and hair, which I'm sure they've considered.

I'm not an expert on bear behavior, but why the bear would purposely hunt him back down after leaving him during the first attack. That's crazy...

After reading the story, we all have the "why didn't he", or "I would have". But unless you're in that situation, no telling what moves you're going to make. This guy managed to make it out alive and somewhat intact. That's pretty impressive. And why the spray wasn't affective, that's the real mystery. A lot of us put our faith in that stuff working.

04-Oct-16
If he held a bic lighter up in-front of spray would that work better ?

04-Oct-16
2 more maulings last week just north of YNP-

one near Gardiner where the guy had a pistol but it was never used....

and the other in Cabin creek where the guys sprayed the bear but got mauled anyway.

The local article in Dillon paper I read said they were still trying to sort out the situations as they had just happened.

04-Oct-16

akbow's embedded Photo
akbow's embedded Photo
I have some experience here and can tell you that I wouldn't carry bear spray unless it were the only legal deterrent (can't carry firearm while bowhunting or something). I've been bluff charged and it is tough telling the difference between a bluff and real charge. I believe the bear spray works fine for bluff charges, but would be far less likely to stop a mother bear defending cubs. I've had both situations with sow/cubs and one was a bluff charge with gnashing teeth, swatting gravel, short bursts of charge, etc... The other time, there was no hesitation from 30 yards. I hit her with a shotgun blast with a slug at point blank range and she kept coming, knocked me down and I hit her again at point blank while laying on my back. It actually burned the hair off her chest it was so close. While she bit at the burning hair I hit her again and then she ran off. I ended up with some scratches and bite punctures to my left calf, but relatively unscathed. In no way do I believe that bear spray would have deterred her anymore than a shotgun blast would have. I wouldn't trust my life to a bear "expert" that thinks bear spray is more effective--I don't care how many biased tests they run. Just my opinion...

04-Oct-16
akbow... That's the kind of feedback this site needs. First hand knowledge.

All I can say is, Wow! Glad you were able to defend yourself and here to tell us about it.

04-Oct-16
akbow - crazy! Glad you made it out ok on that deal. I can't imagine.

04-Oct-16
have faith in lead !!!! for those that use spray let me take out life ins on you !!! so i can fund my hunts ...

04-Oct-16
the grizz of the lower 48th are nasty SOB . no fear no respect is given to hunters hikers , most above have never been charged or even seen a grizz while hunting

04-Oct-16
^^^ and I hope I never do.

I'm a bad enough shot with a pistol at 15' on a stationary target, would be much worst on a moving target with the equivalent heart rate of jogging for 1/2 a mile...

04-Oct-16
I only carry my pistol on my hip because of situations like this. Even if I get rolled and have no idea which way is up my gun is still in a common index point on my hip. Drop leg holsters can slide around and be in your crack. None of these trump having a partner with a cool head and a medium to large bore rifle though. I used to think my 338wm was adequate until I had to stop a wounded moose at 10 ft this year let alone a brown or griz in a alder thicket.

05-Oct-16
I can hit a beer bottle thrown overhand with a .22 or a buck running flat out at 200 yds. I'm sure I could hit a huge bear.

05-Oct-16
Hitting them is not the problem. Killing them when they surprise you at 40 yards running 30 mph, is.

Thorton, please come to WY and kill grizz (in self-defense of course). We need sure-shots like you to help with the numbers problem. If you kill a grizz in self defense, I'll pay for your elk/deer tag.

05-Oct-16
Thornton. Have you ever seen a grizzly bear In the wild? Hunt

05-Oct-16
Hinting that it can't be done [shooting a charging animal with a pistol] is like saying a guy can't make a 80 yds shot with his bow.

Now of course a guy that shoots his pistol twice a year at a range is going to be sorely undertrained for a charging grizz.

How many guys practice with their chosen line of defense? Pistol or Spray?

I don't think there is a perfect solution...but I darn well know practicing for a lethal encounter to the point where its fast and intuitive is going to increase your chances of survival.

05-Oct-16
The reason we are seeing more and more grizzly encounters/attacks these days is because that old guy on 'Jeremiah Johnson' that hunts grizz has been dead for a long time now.

05-Oct-16
He didn't start looking for his gun until the SECOND attack, according to his self-filmed video. I find this a little odd and perplexing -- at least to me and the way I believe *I* would be thinking in this situation.

So he opted for the bear spray on the first attack; fine, a lot of people are conditioned to believe that would work best... BUT, after that attack was over, I darn sure would have been walking down the trail back to my truck with my pistol IN HAND after that.

05-Oct-16
I remember the first brown bear I ran into under 30 yards in the woods. My 44 felt like a toy.

05-Oct-16
I have been bluff charged and I can tell you when something the size of a Volkswagen is coming at you at about 30 MPH and when you first saw it it was 40 yards away you only have a nanosecond to "think". I can tell you that you will not react quite like you think, don't care how tough you are. I had a 454 in a chest holster that I barely got drawn. I may or may not have had time to shoot before it was on me had it kept coming. Glad I didn't have to find out as it veered and ran by me at about 5 yards and thank God kept going.

05-Oct-16
Ive never heard any jokes about bear poop smelling like lead and gun powder just bells and bearspray..hahahaha...what ever your choice just be untra aware when in bear country

Im talking pistol here not long gun,Long gun you may have problems with a pistol you can still shoot even if the bears on you,try that with bear spray and itll be all over you as well thats all im say n ...and like other hope i never have to go there..

Bsafe

05-Oct-16

Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo
Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo

Thornton, ever been 10 yards from something like this? I can promise you won't be able to shoot as well as you think, especially when it's unexpected.

05-Oct-16
Akbow, did you go back to find the bear you shot 3 times?

06-Oct-16
Oh great. Purdue wants to know if the griz is okay.

06-Oct-16
I want someone to invent a polymer double-barrel handgun. When fired it blasts a charge of pepper into the face of a bear, plus it emits a huge flash-bang simultaneously. Think flare gun/bear gun.

I am not a fan of these hissing gas canisters which don't exactly feel like whoop-ass when a grizzly is headed at you. I've been there and done it.

06-Oct-16
Be glad you're not in Jersey. We can't carry more that 3/4 oz of pepper spray and if you get caught even saying the word handgun here, you are on death row. Our politicians are way worse than any bear.

I realize we only have black bears here, but still, options would be nice to have. Your best deterrent if you hunt in NJ is to have a hunting partner you can outrun :)

06-Oct-16
.45 + solid brass rounds.......or long rifle ........grizzly is more athlete than you want to mess with.

The best deterrent is a bear season

06-Oct-16
"The best deterrent is a bear season"

-Sound wisdom.

06-Oct-16
every case is not the same and sometime one will work well and the other wont IMO a gun in this case would have been my first choice remember he knows she coming from 80 yrds,plenty of time to get your S together for good steady shots(you instantly became the predator).yes I know there fast!...now on a trail in brushy area "up close" spray in hand and ready would probably help the most (defence) or at least give you time to draw 2 bears no IMO when she mauled him the first time she set back in the brush to let him ripine a bit and just watched him and protected her dinner until she was hungry.Then when dinner got up and started jogging away she went back on the attack and just tracked him through the trees until she was close enough to strike again.....bear flare would light the forest on fire and then youd have a whole new problem hahahah

06-Oct-16
If that bear was after dinner, the guy would not be around to tell his story right now.

06-Oct-16

Be glad you're not in Jersey. We can't carry more that 3/4 oz of pepper spray and if you get caught even saying the word handgun here, you are on death row.

ARE YOU SERIOUS??????!!!!!!!! LESS than one ounce of bear spray is the legal limit in NJ???!!!!!

06-Oct-16
Just so everyone is aware, at 80 yds and assuming the bear was at top speed of 30 mph, it would be to you in about 5 1/2 seconds. In reality, less than 10 because it would take a few seconds to get to top speed, if it even did.

So, yeah, a guy could react in enough time, but you wouldn't get many shots off so make them count.

Most bear sprays discharge like a fire extinguisher, makes sense to use it as such in sweeping side to side to increase the contact area.

06-Oct-16
top speeds 50 if I remember right and yeah ya better make um count! it would be scary no matter what or how it went down .. Slow = dinner to a predator thats how it works out there and ya cant debate that

MikeC

06-Oct-16
I always wonder, when looking at these studies.... What % of the time would these have turned out to be bluff charges to begin with?

Because I'm sure that a bluff charge is a lot easier to stop.

Just sayin'.

Everybody grows up day-dreaming abut being the hero and single-handedly stopping whatever threat they're contemplating at the time, but I think my preference in Griz country is probably a partner - not one I can out-run, but one who won't run in the first place. Ideal situation, one guy has time to lay out a wall o' mist and the second one has time to be prepared with a hand-cannon for anything that makes it through the spray.

And I'll bet that those who were most effective with the bear spray are those who don't surprise the bear at close range by sneaking up from down-wind.

06-Oct-16

akbow's embedded Photo
akbow's embedded Photo
Purdue-- i did go back the next day and the urging of State Troopers to salvage the hide/head (Alaska law for DLP). In hindsight, I should have told them to ticket me and take my chances with a judge. Having to skin a bear when your leg is pretty stiff alone is a chore, I can tell you--trooper stood there the entire time and didn't lift a finger--except he was holding that shotgun at the ready. I don't think he felt very safe with 2-3 full grown cubs running around. Pic attached. I found her about 10 yards into the brush.

06-Oct-16
10 yards with 3 slugs in it, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

06-Oct-16
At least you didn't have to breathe pepper while you were skinning. Well done.

06-Oct-16
LOL

06-Oct-16
So if you are going to use spray, how close do you let them get before you spray? What do you do in the typical big windy day out west if they are upwind?

07-Oct-16
"ARE YOU SERIOUS??????!!!!!!!! LESS than one ounce of bear spray is the legal limit in NJ???!!!!! "

Yes, 3/4 oz is the max you are legally allowed to carry. Basically, it's one of those little personal protection canisters you attach to your keychain.

07-Oct-16
"So if you are going to use spray, how close do you let them get before you spray?"

I suppose most plans get altered or tossed altogether when 400+ pounds of grizzly is coming low and fast, but this is what I would be planning:

Wait until any bear is nearing the 30' mark. At that point trigger the spray and keep spraying directly at the bear until impact or diverted. Don't even think about running.

07-Oct-16
Hey Kevin, I haven't had time yet to read your Alaska solo thread yet, but will...

07-Oct-16

"ARE YOU SERIOUS??????!!!!!!!! LESS than one ounce of bear spray is the legal limit in NJ???!!!!! " Yes, 3/4 oz is the max you are legally allowed to carry. Basically, it's one of those little personal protection canisters you attach to your keychain.

WOW! Might as well just spit on it then............... :(

09-Oct-16
FWIW here's the guy's FB post (which I found on Eastman's):

https://www.facebook.com/todd.orr/po...10413769369912

https://www.facebook.com/todd.orr/po...10413732648994

Grizzly 10/1/16

Hello everyone. Thought I should share yesterday morning's Grizzly incident.

I took an early morning hike in the Madison valley to scout for elk. Knowing that bears are common throughout southwest Montana, I hollered out "hey bear" about every 30 seconds so as to not surprise any bears along the trail.

About three miles in, I stepped out into an open meadow and hollered again. A few more steps and I spotted a sow Grizzly bear with cubs on the trail at the upper end of the meadow. The sow saw me right away and they ran a short distance up the trail. But suddenly she turned and charged straight my way. I yelled a number of times so she knew I was human and would hopefully turn back. No such luck. Within a couple seconds, she was nearly on me. I gave her a full charge of bear spray at about 25 feet. Her momentum carried her right through the orange mist and on me.

I went to my face in the dirt and wrapped my arms around the back of my neck for protection. She was on top of me biting my arms, shoulders and backpack. The force of each bite was like a sledge hammer with teeth. She would stop for a few seconds and then bite again. Over and over. After a couple minutes, but what seemed an eternity, she disappeared.

Stunned, I carefully picked myself up. I was alive and able to walk so I headed back down the trail towards the truck 3 miles below. As I half hiked and jogged down the trail, I glanced at my injuries. I had numerous bleeding puncture wounds on my arms and shoulder but I knew I would survive and thanked god for getting me through this. I hoped the bleeding wasn't too significant. I really didn't want to stop to dress the wounds. I wanted to keep moving and put distance between us.

About five or ten minutes down the trail, I heard a sound and turned to find the Griz bearing down at 30 feet. She either followed me back down the trail or cut through the trees and randomly came out on the trail right behind me. Whatever the case, she was instantly on me again. I couldn't believe this was happening a second time! Why me? I was so lucky the first attack, but now I questioned if I would survive the second.

Again I protected the back of my neck with my arms, and kept tight against the ground to protect my face and eyes. She slammed down on top of me and bit my shoulder and arms again. One bite on my forearm went through to the bone and I heard a crunch. My hand instantly went numb and wrist and fingers were limp and unusable. The sudden pain made me flinch and gasp for breath. The sound triggered a frenzy of bites to my shoulder and upper back. I knew I couldn't move or make a sound again so I huddled motionless. Another couple bites to my head and a gash opened above my ear, nearly scalping me. The blood gushed over my face and into my eyes. I didn't move. I thought this was the end. She would eventually hit an artery in my neck and I would bleed out in the trail... But I knew that moving would trigger more bites so a laid motionless hoping it would end.

She suddenly stopped and just stood on top of me. I will never forgot that brief moment. Dead silence except for the sound of her heavy breathing and sniffing. I could feel and her breath on the back of my neck, just inches away. I could feel her front claws digging into my lower back below my backpack where she stood. I could smell the terrible pungent odor she emitted. For thirty seconds she stood there crushing me. My chest was smashed into the ground and forehead in the dirt. When would the next onslaught of biting began. I didn't move. And then she was gone.

I tried to peek out without moving but my eyes were full of blood and I couldn't see. I thought that if she came back a third time I would be dead, so I had to do something. Staying in position on the ground, I slowly reached under my chest to grab at the pistol I was unable to get to earlier. I felt I needed something to save my life. The pistol wasn't there. I groped around again but nothing. I wiped the blood from one eye and looked around. No bear.

The pistol and holster were lying five feet to my left. The bear's ferocious bites and pulling had ripped the straps from the pack and the holster attached to it. Now trashed, that backpack may have helped prevent many more serious bites on my back and spine. I picked everything up and moved down the trail again. I couldn't believe I had survived two attacks. Double lucky! Blood was still dripping off my head and both elbows and my shirt was soaked to the waist and into my pants. But a quick assessment told me I could make it another 45 minutes to the truck without losing too much blood. I continued the jog just wanting to put more distance between that sow and I.

At the trailhead was one other vehicle. I really hoped that person didn't run into the same bear. I snapped a couple quick photos and a video of my wounds, laid some jackets over the truck seat and headed for town. I stopped a rancher along the way and asked him to make a call to the hospital. When I got into cell service, I made a quick call to my girlfriend to ask how her morning was going, before freaking her out and asking her to bring me a change of clean clothes to the hospital. Another call to 911 and I gave the operator a quick run down of my injuries and asked her to call the hospital and give them a heads up that I was ten minutes out. Moments later I was met at the front door by the doctor, nurse and an officer. I had to ask the officer to open the door, put my truck in park, and unbuckle my seat belt. My left arm was useless. He was impressed I had taken the effort to buckle. Once inside, the x-rays revealed only a chip out of the ulna bone in my forearm. Following was eight hours of stitching to put me back together. Most were arm and shoulder punctures and tears. A 5" gash along the side of my head will leave a nasty scar, but I'm hoping my balding doesn't come on too quickly and leave that one exposed. And finally, this morning, numerous deep bruises and scrapes are showing up from the bites that didn't quite break the skin. Dark bruising in the shape of claws, line across my lower back and butt where the bear stood on me. Also a few more chest bruises and facial abrasions from being smashed and slammed into the ground.

Not my best day, but I'm alive. So thankful I'm here to share with all of you. In a couple weeks I will have to clean out the truck a little better. My girlfriend says it looks like I had gutted an elk in the drivers seat.

Todd Orr

23-Oct-16
Oh wow!! What an encounter!!

Sure would have had the pistol in my hand after the first attack.

24-Oct-16

arctichill's embedded Photo
arctichill's embedded Photo
I managed to "shoot" myself with bear spray in Alaska last month. That is some ridiculously brutal stuff! The worst part was that my buddy and I had just been dropped off by our Super-Cubs and due to weight restrictions we had about 32oz of water between us. It was quite a few hours before we got to a river. This pic was taken about 45 mins or so before I discharged the bear spray on myself.

25-Oct-16
I use pepper spray when riding a bike for rogue dogs, and it does work, and works well, if you hit them good. Twice I have sprayed dogs coming full blast with teeth out, and stopped both of them within 1-2 feet from my leg being dog chow.

Moving down the road at 20 mph helps my cause, so the attack doesn't seem to come so fast. I can't imagine getting a full on charge from something that weighs 400 pounds more than a big dog with a whole lot more attitude.

On one of the dogs, I had a few seconds to prepare, the other one came up on my blind side and I literally jerked the spray from my pocket and got lucky. Real lucky. It takes lots of practice on getting the spray in your hand correctly. And the stuff I use it much less potent than the bear spray stuff.

25-Oct-16
Yup. You need to practice with the spray. I'm frequently getting mine out and taking the safety on and off and I imagine that increases my odds of spraying myself, but I like my increased odds of deploying it when I need it. They sell placebo spray too and you can spray them and see the effects of wind and distance. I also carry mine in my hand with the safety off during higher-risk times, like when walking in the dark before sunrise, when approaching meat, etc.

Crazy story that guy's got. He's really lucky. It goes to show that the attacks really are survivable so long as the attack is not predaceous. It also illustrates how even with the best precautions, sometimes you just don't have the time to deploy your defense and we're all really relying on luck and live by these bear's graces. This guy had spray and a pistol and got mauled twice.

25-Oct-16
Wow, those are crazy stories, glad everyone was able to write about it. I have never seen a grizzly, but I have seen (closer than I cared for), Coastal grizzles or Brown bears while building a cabin on the peninsula of AK which are about 1.5-2x the size of an inland grizzly and I can tell you there is no way any revolver or pistol will be any sort of deterrent if they're really attacking; they might die eventually from wounds, but they'll get plenty of attacking in before that happens. I don't think the spray would work either. You'd need a shot gun with slugs (and plenty of them) or a big bore rifle. We carried spray and one person in our group had a 0.50 cal AR-10 and that didn't feel like enough firepower for my taste. The slug was huge, but it didn't look like enough powder behind it IMO.

AKbow, not that your bear looks small, but compared to the coastal bears we saw it looks small. Out of curiosity, is that an inland grizzly? Glad you had a shot gun instead of a revolver.

26-Oct-16
Ben H- It was in Cordova. Lots of big boars there lapping up the Copper River salmon, but this was a younger sow. It probably isn't the best pic either from that vantage point. Probably a 7-7.5' sow.

26-Oct-16
It will be interesting to see how the spray pans out...as we will see these stories in the media.

I think it will be hard to compare it to 'defense by firearm' cases as my guess is that a huge portion of these that worked and the guy survived are never reported...

27-Oct-16
yet another bear attack is the sierra madre`s...the bear stood the guy ran the bear attacked ! he survived to tell the story but was torn up pretty good....dont run stand your ground and fight for your life and a grizzly is a brown bear and a brown bear is a grizzly dont matter where they live

27-Oct-16
Love the bravado from guys who've never been there,...a lot of the same guys who can't hit a whitetail that's 20 yards away with an arrow because of buck fever.

And how many guys shoot deer on the run at 200 yards with a handgun?

27-Oct-16
Sierra Madre? What state, WY? I assume that was a non-ursus horribilis variety?

27-Oct-16
As for the NJ rules, in that moment when a bear or a pair of methheads is in the process of killing you or a family member/buddy, would following the rules still seem like a good idea?

27-Oct-16
I believe the Sierra Madre attack was a black near the town of Sierra Madre in California.

28-Oct-16
its not bravado ! its what your supposed to do!

29-Oct-16
I have had the same experience as Ironbow, bike riding and dogs.

Cans of bear spray need to be turned over about once a month to keep them mixed and prevent settling. Also they have an expiration date. I am not sure if they go bad after that date but why take chances?

• Sitka Gear