shorty 03-Oct-16
TD 04-Oct-16
Sivart 04-Oct-16
Elkaddict 04-Oct-16
Ckapp22 04-Oct-16
Z Barebow 04-Oct-16
Sivart 04-Oct-16
03-Oct-16
I have a very old school garmin etrex. It has served me well for prob 15 yrs.

The only thing I never liked about it, you only had 6 digits to name a waypoint. Therefore I would forget what them meant after a while.

What do you guys recommend. I only use it for elk hunting

03-Oct-16

Dirty D's Link
If you have a Smartphone have you looked at the apps that are currently available? I love my Backcountry Navigator app and it's super cheap. As long as you load maps before loosing a cell signal they work great, I try to load mine at home when I have wireless. Then you can use the app/GPS when your phone is in Airplane mode. May not be the advice you were looking for but it might be worth considering...

03-Oct-16
garmin Oregon 600 or 650

03-Oct-16
Haven't made the plunge to phone yet, but Oregon 600 series is pretty tough to beat. Cabelas has sales going on right now Oregon 600, Montana 610 and Etrex 20XT bundle.

That said, I learned on a Garmin 12 and got so used to the 6 character point names that I never bothered to change.

Just use a standard naming convention and it's pretty easy to keep track of points. Easier than huge long descriptive names IMO.

Carl

03-Oct-16
I use the etrex with my paper map and write the waypoints names on the map at their location.

03-Oct-16
The Garmin Montana would be my choice. I have both the Montana and the Oregon. The big screen on the Montana is much easier to read.

04-Oct-16
Touch screens are the way to go for naming waypoints. Typing (texting) instead of toggling to a letter and hitting "enter".

I used both a cell and a GPS this year. The phone had a better screen and more detailed map to read. The GPS was faster and more accurate to lock on to a position. If in the trees, in a low spot it was even worse for the cellphone. I've been having issues with my cell battery, but even on airplane mode the battery use was fairly high if you left it on.

We use garmin rinos, the radios work fairly well with no cell service and pin pointing where your partner is can be VERY handy at times where a cell is worthless. And the rino is built to be banged around, rained on, etc. I have an otter box on the cell but it's nowhere NEAR in the garmin's league WRT durability. Lets play "hot peppers" with your cell and my rino and we will see....

They both do certain things very well, both have their advantages. Although if garmin came out with a screen sized and as high def as a good smart phone..... never mind, I will likely continue to take and use both in the future.

04-Oct-16
Can someone explain to me what the diff is between the different etrex models? What do you give up in comparison to the Oregon? The Montana is out of my price range.

Is there a good website or youtube video that explains them better. I'm a slow learner....lol

04-Oct-16
Look at a Garmin 62 or 64, great sale prices.

04-Oct-16
I personally had a garmin 64 and loved it. If you are used to the size of the etrex, the screen size wont be an issue for you. I think the only advantage to the Montana and Oregon series is the screen is bigger if I'm not mistaken.

This year I had two gps units stolen out of my jeep and I just replaced one of them with a rino 610. It has a 2in screen and is also a built-in radio. Nice if you are hunting with buddies or just want to have a radio for emergencies. If you watch craigslist/ebay, you can usually pick them up for around $200 used. Buy the onxmap chip for your state for $100 and you will be set.

This year I hunted with the onxmap app on my phone. Really nice having the giant screen to look at. If you download maps before you hit the woods, having cell service isn't an issue. The gps still works with no cell service and it will tell you exactly where you are. If I didn't already have the onxmap chip for the gps unit, I probably wouldn't have replaced the gps units and just used my phone moving forward. Having the chip and not having to worry about cracking the screen of my phone while hunting..well worth the $200 for the garmin.

04-Oct-16
Depending upon requirements, another option is to pick up a used Garmin NUVI. Battery life will be shorter, will weigh a little more, and might not be as rugged. Garmin sells them much cheaper than handhelds and they have a microSD slot for your Land owner chip. You can use your phone to supplement.

If you want to leave your GPS on all day, handhelds are required.

04-Oct-16
I've narrowed it down to the etrex 30 or the Oregon 650 which is on sale.

The only concerning on the Oregon is the battery life and it's a little heavier.

• Sitka Gear