GF 06-Oct-16
jeck66 06-Oct-16
Rut Nut 06-Oct-16
mountainman 06-Oct-16
tradmt 06-Oct-16
Rut Nut 06-Oct-16
ELKMAN 07-Oct-16
03-Oct-16
Another griz attack NW of Dubois Wy -- Sunday morning as an elk hunter went in to retrieve his elk. Ambushed by a sow and her cubs which were feeding on it. No other details were given but when they do come to light-- someone will post it up. Might be time for a limited griz season to open up in the near future?

03-Oct-16
Open a season and put the fear of man back into these bears. Period. Side note- Problem bears from around Cody are dropped north of Dubois. When I lived there in 2009, there were something like 30 collared bears in the Ramshorn/Five Pockets area. This might have something to do with it as well.

03-Oct-16
I'm very doubtful that a limited bear season will do anything to impress bears in that area.

I've read where actually FEWER bears will be killed with a limited season than are killed now -- because now, most of the bears are killed by G&F ... quite a few, actually.

Not that I'm against a season -- I'm not. But let's not think it will "put fear into the bears."

Odd, because both hunters and anti-hunters both get the biology wrong. Open a season and everyone can get what they want: Hunters get to hunt, and antis get fewer bears killed.

03-Oct-16
This happened in MT, not WY.

03-Oct-16
No the one in MT happened on Saturday in the Madison Valley. No elk was killed and he was attached twice. I'll try to post a link.

03-Oct-16
Time for a season for sure. 4 encounters/attacks in MT in the last week. Sunday's attack on Todd Orr is an amazing story. Something needs to be done as this is out of control. Time to wake up Fish and Game....

03-Oct-16
Wow...didn't know there were two attacks.

03-Oct-16
I certainly wouldn't oppose a season on bears so don't take this the wrong way. I'm definitely a hunter and am no way an animal rights advocate. I almost had to laugh when reading some of these replies. We, the hunters, are tromping around in bear country and we blame the bear when there's an attack. They are doing what bears do, where they live. I feel sorry for the victims that were attacked but also hate it for the Bears that get the bad rap. I'm just glad we don't have Grizzlies here in South Arkansas!

03-Oct-16
We don't know many of the details, but having had multiple close encounters with grizzlies, I would NEVER approach a carcass left overnight in the woods without a gun in one hand and a can of spray in the other with the safety off. I also would never have gone alone, especially when he had 2 friends who were hunting with him but not visiting the carcass with him. The second he noticed the carcass had been disturbed, he should have been leaving the area, backing away with weapons and spray ready.

Again, I don't know all the details, but from what is known, it seems some level of grizz country common sense was missing.

04-Oct-16
Bojack, that is pretty much the exact mentality of the liberal animal rights activists. They just have to laugh and scoff at the silly hunters walking around in the bears domain, yet they are sure glad that the griz is not in their backyard. All the while, griz are forced upon those who may not want them either. Why is it, that people don't have the right to be there?

04-Oct-16
Bojack- You said it perfectly. You don't want the bear blamed but sure are glad they don't live where you live. That's BS. Maybe you would feel differently if you did have Grizzly Bears in South Arkansas. We are having to deal with these bears based on peoples opinions who don't live here and don't have a clue. I don't mind having the bears, I think we need them. However, we need to be able to put some fear into them and protect ourselves. Grizzlies have NO reason whatsoever to run away when they see a human.

04-Oct-16
Some of these responses show just where hunter's rank as a group intellectually. "Wow". Is all I can say...

04-Oct-16
Lol! I figured that's the responses I'd get. Like I said, I'm glad we don't have them here, and I'm not saying that its "silly hunters" walking around getting attacked. And I'm certainly not defending the Bears. I'm just saying that we, as humans, hunting in bear country get attacked and all of a sudden we want to kill more bears, making it safer for us. I certainly agree we have a right to be able to enjoy the mountains and places they call home. What if someone walked in your house while you and your family were sitting down eating dinner, in your house, would you attack them or run away?

04-Oct-16
When I read, "I'm definitely a hunter and am no way an animal rights advocate" I get the same feeling as when I hear someone start a conversation with "let me tell you the truth..."

04-Oct-16
Ben yehuda, take it however you want!

04-Oct-16
"I'm definitely a hunter and am no way an animal rights advocate" is usually followed up with this logic - "can't we just leave the animals alone in their homes?" - if that's not being an animal rights advocate, what is?

Truth is this - if you live in a house, you are more than likely living in a place where an animal once called "home".

So from the comfort of your home (that was taken from an animal) we sit and tell others out West that they ought to stay out of the animal's homes or just live with the consequences of invading the animal's homes - sounds a little hypocritical to me.

Better idea - let those in the west deal with the issue at hand. None of us in the midwest have to deal with this grizzly and or wolf issue day in and day out (thankfully). It's not up to us to manage them and the wildlife in their state.

--Mitch

04-Oct-16
lets put a few griz in NYC and see how many minds are changed about staying out of animals homes.

04-Oct-16
Well I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone on here that have to "deal" with the Bears. I just thought it was kind of comical when I read the first couple responses to this post. I guess when I sit back and look at it from another point of view, I can understand. When I see a rattlesnake in my yard I kill it, before it attacks. So with that said I apologize for my ignorance!

04-Oct-16
and now we all know why there are always archery leftovers for this area......

I once heard this was an area where they relocate the problem Yellowstone bears, not sure of the validity of that. but I heard it from more than one source.

Hope for his speedy recovery.

04-Oct-16
I know the area and it is most definitely Grizzly country. You can never take hiking or hunting in that area lightly as it relates to Grizzly, even the ranches further out.

04-Oct-16
Remember that the state fish and game departments in WY and MT are very limited in what that can do about the grizzly problem until the federal government delists the griz from the endangered species list. By law the states can't get control until the feds give up their control.

Even though I live in Virginia I voiced my opinion to my elected officials to support the delisting of the griz from the endangered species list. I can't remember now which government officials but I took Randy Newberg's advice and went to the link that he suggested.

To those of you outside of WY and MT: how would you feel if people in other states told you that you could no longer shoot/trap coyotes in your state?

04-Oct-16
There've actually been 3 attacks this year.

There was a guy that got attacked in the early part of archery and got out of the hospital right as we got there. It was the talk of the town. Then another guy got nailed right as I left. The 3rd was in MT.

The grizz are out of control in the Dubois area. Remember, there was a guy who was killed there in 2014. I talked with a local who had a friend on the recovery team and he said they brought him out in a 5 gallon bucket.

It's also true that F&G is killing problem bears. For a while, many bears were relocated into this area out of ease of getting them far from people. Many bears were taken from the Pinedale area and moved to the Dubois area since it has large non-wilderness areas where a truck with a bear in it can be driven far from population centers and released. A local told me that just prior to the archery season, F&G killed 4 grizz south of Dubois in 69. Everyone I spoke to said they never were able to catch up to the bear that killed the guy in 2014, nor the bear that put the local bowhunter in the hospital this year. There's at least one man-eater out there.

The entire south fork of the Shoshone and Wind river basins are over-run with grizz. We need a season badly. What a season will provide, is to take out the more aggressive and visible bears. The bears that are way up in the wilderness are not as much of a problem. Also, F&G needs to continue to kill bears that are a problem.

04-Oct-16
I don't blame bears for doing what they do. A carcass or gut pile is a big meal. The radio collar results have show a bear has gone 10 miles upwind to cash in on that caloric feast.

That being said, people are going to be in bear woods. If anti's think it's only hunters, that it pretty typical for their (lack of)knowledge.

Wolves changed their tactics and interactions with humans significantly since they became hunted. I hope bears do also, over time anyway.

I've read the statistics about bear spray and agree it is generally an effective deterrent, but folks are spraying bears and it isn't working. Mr. Orr did what he was supposed to, and is a tough cookie and lucky to be alive. I bet in the future he has the pistol out and is ready to use it.

04-Oct-16
When bears hear a rifle shot and run to it....there is a problem.

There are tons of brown/grizzly bears in Alaska and I don't think they have the same mentality as the GYE bears. In areas where bears are hunted, the most aggressive, most visible would be culled.

Without considering the safety aspect grizzlies in the GYE are well beyond population objectives. Their numbers should have been lowered long before now. I would like to see a very controlled hunting season but more importantly I would like to see the numbers of grizz lowered to a much safer level by whatever means is most effective.

04-Oct-16
Bowfreak - I couldn't agree more

04-Oct-16

Amoebus's Link
Attached is a list of documented fatal bear attacks in NA since 1830.

It is an interesting question if hunting will cause them to fear humans. I wonder if anyone has studied that? A quick look at the list above shows quite a few deaths in Canada and Alaska where there has been hunting all along.

You have a top predator that hasn't had much to fear in its recent evolutionary history (10,000+ years). On the other hand, they appear very intelligent and able to pass behavior to their young.

All the anecdotal evidence I have says that black and grizzly bears are fearful of humans (i.e. the ones that I have seen while fly fishing all ran a significant distance once they spotted/smelled me). Both of the grizzly spotted ran more than 1/4 mile across meadows - but, maybe that was the smell of uncontrolled fecal matter...

04-Oct-16
Bowfreak speaks directly to what I was talking about when I said "put the fear of man back into them". Rifle shots are indeed a dinner bell there. It's tough for the elk to even vocalize much up there anymore for fear of getting eaten, proven by the fact that a grizz will come to your call better than an elk will. If they learn that a gunshot=pain rather than gunshot=dinner, both the human population and bear population will be better for it. Coming from a bow hunter that hunts that very country.

04-Oct-16
Yes, there's more attacks in Canada and Alaska, but there are 25,000 grizz in Canada and 30,000 grizz in Alaska. That's almost 1,000 times more bears than the GYE.

The GYE has 600 bears and there's been 3 maulings in 3 years (one of which resulted in death) in just the southwest 1/9th of the GYE.

There was also a guy killed in Yellowstone this year.

04-Oct-16
I'm about blue in the face with the comparison of the American West with Alaska and Canada, concerning top predators. The American West is not Canada or Alaska. You can't compare the behaviors of animal species and, expect them to behave the same in these locations as they do in the West.

Any animal, that has been conditioned to certain circumstances, is going to react differently than if it were exposed to different variables. Bears with nothing to fear from humans become conditioned to such behavior. However, if you start hunting and killing them, they will act appropriately. Which is what is needed. God Bless

04-Oct-16
"Yes, there's more attacks in Canada and Alaska, but there are 25,000 grizz in Canada and 30,000 grizz in Alaska. That's almost 1,000 times more bears than the GYE."

If your canada/alaska numbers are right, then there are about 100 times more bears than in GYE, but there are 35 million people in Canada (3.8 million mi**2) and 4 million visitors yearly to Yellowstone (3.4 thousand mi**2). As WV likes to point out, a lot of variables. Best number would be the number of human/grizz interactions in each.

Don't be blue, WV - cheer up. Maybe the Yellowstone grizzly are attacking more people because there are less cutthroat trout... (ahhh - you are getting blue again).

"However, if you start hunting and killing them, they will act appropriately."

How do we know that - and what is 'appropriate' for a grizzly? (That is all I was asking above.) If we kill 50% of the grizz, we will create less human/grizzly interaction (i.e. maybe less deaths), but will the 50% that remain somehow learn from that (or will the small % of them still kill and eat a human if given the chance)?

And another interesting question is "If we start hunting grizzly again in the US, will there be fewer or more human deaths?" If you look at the deaths over the last 180 years, a portion of them are hunters heading into thickets trying to find their wounded bear. It wouldn't take a lot of deaths caused by wounded grizzly to overtake the historical average of < 1/year.

But, I like Deertick's post above most of all (including my own).

04-Oct-16
Oops, bad math there on my part to the tune of x10. Thanx for pointing out that error.

Still, when you have 3 attacks in 3 years in an area that's less than 500 square miles, I don't see how that math compares to AK and Canada. Alaska is 663,300 square miles and has a death about every other year from its 30,000 grizz.

I spoke with a local last week who said he'd been charged 4 times in the last 3 years in the same area and repelled all 4 attacks with bear spray. Four charges. And he said that wasn't including bluff charges. The 4 charges were repelled at 10 yards or less.

Just like people, every animal has its own personality and much of that depends on socialization from its mother. Canada and AK grizz are taught to run from humans because they are predators; because humans kill grizz. Lower 48 bears are taught that humans are food sources and/or not to be feared. It's getting worse every year. And hunters are taking the brunt of it because the greenies can just go hike and mountain bike in areas where there's no grizz. Elk hunters are the only ones crazy enough to hike into grizz country.

04-Oct-16
Why is it that Colorado can choose to ignore federal laws prohibiting marijuana use but Wyoming and Montana cannot choose to periodically ignore federal laws prohibiting shooting griz?

What would stop the state agencies from simply announcing that during the month of October they will be unable to spend state resources enforcing the federal ban in specific areas where griz have become a problem?

04-Oct-16
Bojack- PM sent and thanks for reconsidering on the situation.

05-Oct-16
Deertick I can't understand why you think that a griz season wouldn't change their behavior. If the most visible/aggressive bears were targeted by hunters it would most definitely change their behavior.

Fish learn not to bite certain lures after a short while. The coyotes learn to avoid my traps. Elk learn to be shy coming in to elk calls. Do you doubt these animal behaviors too?

05-Oct-16
I have a cousin and some friends that live in Dubois, friend of mine said he has 1 if not both legs broken and it pretty much ripped his face off. I guess the guy is from Pennsylvania. This year we seen 4 or 5 Griz while hunting, all from a distance. Idyll I heard the same from a friend of mine about the 5 gallon bucket, I think his brother in law is the Sherriff or something not sure?

05-Oct-16

AH's Link
Link to story

05-Oct-16
Jason Hunter, wildlife supervisor for the Lander Region, says the victim on Saturday shot the elk in heavy timber and deadfall where visibility was reduced and went back to retrieve it Sunday morning.

“He did get to the site of where his elk carcass was and noticed it had been moved or cached,” Hunter says.

The victim turned around to leave and was immediately attacked, according to Hunter.

“He had no time to react,” Hunter says. The department says no shots were fired during the attack.

05-Oct-16
As far as behavior and hunting. Sorry but bears will learn really fast... I can point to Colorado and the hunting with dogs issue for bears. As a kid we owned a cabin in the mountains. In 7 or 8 years prior to the hunting with dogs ban we never had a bear issue. We would leave garbage out, we would gut fish and leave the gut in the burn barrel etc. One time we had a bear get into the burn barrel. We called up the Houndsman and had that bear chased and it never returned.

Since the dog ban the bears in Co are not afraid of dogs at all. In fact there has been some evidence that when they hear a dog bark they approach due to the likely hood of a dog food bowl. In some of the mountain resort towns they have had certain bears target only camps and site where dogs are allowed.

If a bear can learn how to find certain items they can surely learn how to avoid as well.

At the very least fewer bears will mean fewer issues.

05-Oct-16
It surprises me that some people actually think that you can't instill fear of human in Grizzly bears. It is saying you can't change the way and animal thinks of humans. Look what we have done with horses. You think wild horses just walked up to humans and let them get on their backs. We have captured wild animals and made them our friends and livestock. A perfect example is seeing a mountain goat while elk hunting. It wasn't being hunted and was used to seeing humans, so it just laid there and watched us take photos of it. Later that evening, we had elk see us and they bolted. Im sure by not hunting elk ever and hunting only goats, those roles would have changed a bit. This is the exact reason hunters trying to find unpressured animals to hunt, they are less educated on human influence.

05-Oct-16

05-Oct-16
I don't doubt that you can change behavior in animals (and people). I am questioning if hunters could do this.

There are 1500 grizzly in the U.S. 500 in Yellowstone. So, 1000 huntable bears. What would be the number of bear tags that would be biologically (and politically) allowed? 50? 100? The number is going to be pretty low because females don't breed until 5, only have cubs every other year, etc. Wiki reports that the grizzly has the lowest reproduction rate of any terrestrial mammal in NA. In other words, it will be small because shooting too many will take a long time to correct.

My guess is it would be closer to 50,maybe less. Hunters would get 30-40 of those and scare another 10-20. That leaves 1450 bears that wouldn't 'learn' anything from a hunt. If hunters target the bold bears, those are probably the same ones that are getting killed now by officials.

How exactly would a hunt smarten up the bears?

Idyll - I like your comments. I still think the bear interactions are probably similar in Yellowstone verses Canada/Alaska but haven't run the numbers. Maybe tonight...

05-Oct-16
It simply amazes me that some here (Bowsite) really question whether or not hunting grizzly's will bring them to fear ol' two legs.......

really?

05-Oct-16
Before there was a Canada goose season in my state those things would be in our fields by the hundreds if not thousands. We would drive them off with vehicles and shoot guns to scare them away but they would come right back. They acted like tame birds.

Now we have a season and the geese are wild animals again. If I drive a quad into the field 500 yards from them, they are gone. The geese are also scattered over a larger area instead of being so concentrated.

I know a bear is not a goose, but if a goose learns I think it is safe to say a bear is smarter than a goose!

05-Oct-16
I think its the liberals that have infiltrated the colleges. I know one guy who loves the idea of having an ecosystem with apex predators, he's a bio major. When confronted w/ opposition his argument is I hunt, but I don't depend on it. Well pal, some do, and some have a passion for hunting which he does not, and though they appreciate the outdoors they aren't going to hug every tree along the way.

Gotta love those who criticize when they are on the outside looking in. Its like "I don't care if all the elk are gone, I don't like the taste". "I don't live in grizz country, but who cares if a bear acts like a bear and kills some people in the process, you're in his woods".

05-Oct-16
Bullhound,

What I am talking about is more like natural selection. Through hunting or other population controls the most visible, most aggressive bears would be the easiest to remove.

Grizzlies are smart animals. My friend who is a rancher on the fringe of grizzly country has told me numerous stories about them. Often times a grizz that kills cattle will be trapped. They are caught by FWS setting up traps near their recent kill. Once that animal is caught and taken to the other end of the grizzly area they start killing cattle again. Only now....they kill a cow and don't return to the kill site. They eat their fill and then kill another one when they feel like it. They quickly associate returning to the kill site and being trapped.

I don't even care if grizzlies are ever hunted. I only care that they are controlled and their numbers are kept at objective. I only care that they are managed by sound biological practice and not through a failed government bureaucracy that cowers to the whims of activists.

05-Oct-16
I talked with a WY G&F biologist last year. He said they were looking at starting with 5 grizz tags once they're off the ESL. He didn't know how many MT or ID were going to start with.

It'd be a slow process, but I'm sure it'd help.

06-Oct-16
Bullbound - "It simply amazes me that some here (Bowsite) really question whether or not hunting grizzly's will bring them to fear ol' two legs......."

Idyll - "He said they were looking at starting with 5 grizz tags once they're off the ESL"

It looks like I have overestimated the amount of tags they might issue for the 1000 huntable bears.

Bullbound - how would 5 or 10 tags change the behavior of the rest of the population? There are probably that many nuisance bears killed each year already and the others don't seem to be getting the message (aren't acting appropriately)? We aren't talking about deer/geese/most game species where a significant portion of the population sees hunters or gets shot at.

06-Oct-16
Bowfreak comment,"When bears hear a rifle shot and run to it....there is a problem"

Time to step away from the magazines Bowfreak! That comment is a joke right? So if I was rifle hunting Brown bears on Kodiak all I need to do to bait one in is fire my rifle and they will come running? Ha!

Lets not have these idiots that write some of these hyped up articles overrule your common sense.

If you want to get laughed at to your face....ask an F&G warden in Ak that question.

06-Oct-16
I believe what Bowfreak was referring to was a recent study of collared griz in the Rockies(forget what state) that someone posted here. Study showed that bears actually were conditioned to follow gunshots in elk season looking for food(elk carcass).

06-Oct-16
Beendare....I am not talking about Alaska. I am talking WY. If you don't believe it that's your issue. I have first hand information from people who live, hunt and ranch there and that is exactly what they have told me.

06-Oct-16
Don't the bears get hunted on Kodiak? Apples and oranges argument. Why is it that we are no longer allowed to feed bears in Yellowstone? Is it because they learned to see human's trash as their food source? And not have a problem walking up to cars? How about elk on a golf course? Are they less afraid of humans than their timber dewelling brethren because they don't get snuck up on all the time by people with sharp sticks? Yes, rifle shots are a dinner bell to bears in Wyoming. Get back to us when you've spent more time in Wyoming grizz country.

06-Oct-16
I also read an article awhile ago that talked about a radio collared griz that actually followed a group of hunters ALL day. At times only being a hundred yards from them. I was a few years ago.

But it shows how dangerous these situations can be.

06-Oct-16

mountainman's Link
Found the article.

06-Oct-16
Thanks for the link mountainman. Another example from my time living in Oregon, is the predator/prey relationship with sea lions and salmon. We had sea lions take salmon off the hook while fighting the fish, and even had a salmon taken out of my buddy's hands while bleeding it over the side of the boat. Can't shoot them either. So how do these animals learn this behavior and how do you deter it if conservation has your hands tied?

06-Oct-16
Mountainman's article is a little unnerving, but mostly because it shows how effectively these bears learn to exploit a food source.... Good news is that if they can learn to follow the humans around, then they can just as quickly learn to stay the hell away from those damn 2-leggers. Provided we give them a reason to.

But overall, I think Striker's post has the most realistic view of the world. You just don't approach 500 pounds of bear attractant without some bear repellent in hand (literally!) and a buddy or two to back you up. Not in Griz Country...

I wonder if there are stats out there on what % of Griz attacks occur at the kill site? Just seems to me that if you're going to see one, that would be the place with the greatest probability of a run-in... especially next day, when they've had time to find it. With numbers on the rise, the competition for carcasses is probably getting tighter, too...

06-Oct-16
BEENDARE's COMMENTS "Bowfreak comment,"When bears hear a rifle shot and run to it....there is a problem" Time to step away from the magazines Bowfreak! That comment is a joke right? So if I was rifle hunting Brown bears on Kodiak all I need to do to bait one in is fire my rifle and they will come running? Ha!

Lets not have these idiots that write some of these hyped up articles overrule your common sense.

If you want to get laughed at to your face....ask an F&G warden in Ak that question."

Haha... comments coming from the guy living in California. A rifle shot is a dinner bell in Wyoming. Something needs to be done, and a hunting season is the only answer that will work.

06-Oct-16
Thanks Mountainman- that's the one I was referring to.

"So attuned to the movements of hunters are the bears that scientists believe they may even listen for the sound of gunshots, knowing that they signal a meal to be scavenged."

06-Oct-16
No problem rut nut. The eeriest thing in that case was that there was no gunshot. It simply followed looking for the opportunity .

06-Oct-16
It shows a Grizz is way smarter than the average liberal.

06-Oct-16
Yep- It already associated hunters with food and followed them all day(unseen).

I have killed deer with my bow a few times just before last light. By the time I found the deer it was well after dark and there are plenty of black bears in my area. Needless to say, I gutted those deer in record time, had my pistol handy and every time I thought I heard something in the brush I stopped what I was doing, grabbed the pistol and turned the spotlight in that direction. Luckily, there were no "incidents" to report!

07-Oct-16
All I can say is it BETTER be done on a unit by unit, or regional quota system...

• Sitka Gear