Bowhunting Colorado Units 21+30
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
astrovan2487 04-Oct-16
BOWNUTCO 05-Oct-16
astrovan2487 05-Oct-16
MathewsMan 06-Oct-16
04-Oct-16
Just wondering if anyone has experience hunting elk in Colorado units 21 and 30 recently. I will be going out the 2nd rifle season to bow hunt for elk. I know it's not the ideal time but family/friends planned a rifle trip so I'm tagging along with low expectations on the hunting quality. I have hunted those units before, back in 2013 I bowhunted during the early muzzle loader season and was pretty disappointed how crowded it was. Is the 2nd rifle season worse as far as crowds go? If the big game hunting is that bad I've got a back up plan, bringing my dog to do some small game hunting if the elk are scarce. I have a good idea of where the elk were hanging out early September but I'm sure those areas have changed later in the season. Any info is much appreciated, thanks!

05-Oct-16
you will put more meat on the table hunting chuckers or grouse during second season rifle season than hunting elk with a bow then,,,use a rifle put meat in the freezer!! ... the elk will be moving to winter range. The places you hunted in sept will have about 3-4% of the elk that were there in sept. good luck!!

bownutco

05-Oct-16
Yeah I figured bow hunting that area would be pretty close to worthless, might give it a try for a few days anyways. I'm not big on rifle hunting but I wouldn't mind getting a cow for meat. Thanks for the info!

06-Oct-16
You will see some great Deer.

• Sitka Gear