Jack Harris 11-Oct-16
Too Many Bows Bob 11-Oct-16
Tracker 11-Oct-16
Zbone 16-Oct-16
Bou'bound 16-Oct-16
09-Oct-16

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Tomorrow opens the first "modern day" archery bear season in NJ. 6 days of bow, with the last 3 also allowing muzzleloader. I generally am overrun with bear and consider them a nuisance, but with so many masterbearbaiters working their craft over the past several months in preparation, I actually have seen far less. I do have a decent size bear around - this will be my target. I am not overly jazzed for this, but I am off for Columbus day so I got my $2 tag the other day. I figured since they stole over 20 of my sunflower seed birdfeeders over the years, to use that as bait, plus some apples, and some Moultrie Bear Magnet oil. Sure smells good. Weather looks great - I expect a LOT of world class black bears to fall tomorrow, this will be much more productive than the gun season we have as they are already entering hibernation for gun season. All things being equal, I would rather take a P&Y minimum whitetail tomorrow, than an upper P&Y bear but I will give it a shot none the less. Here is the one I have in mind, which pales in comparison to bears I have had around in past years.

09-Oct-16

I am leaning toward the gender being "male"... Not quite sure though.

09-Oct-16
After eating bear for the first time I would much rather have that in my freezer than a deer. First time I ever hunted in NJ wow I couldn't believe all the Bears. Kicking myself for not getting in on this action. Good luck.

09-Oct-16
Jack are u saying u can bait? Or are you making just a joke??

09-Oct-16
You can bait with some restrictions in NJ. I am up from Maryland to partake in the event. Today was the very first time I have ever steps my feet in the NJ woods so my expectations are not high. That being said we did find a promising spot this afternoon. Spot actually caught our attention with some nice deer sign also. Good luck to all hunting.

09-Oct-16
yes baiting is legal without restrictions for ground hunting, there is restriction for elevated platform. The amount of baiting that has been going on in this state leading up to it is beyond anything I have ever seen. I have not been - just started a few days ago when I decided to do it, so I am waaaay behind the competition. The pics of bears I have been seeing from others look like big blood soaked ticks, just as fat as I have ever seen.

09-Oct-16
kill one Jack , what are they costing you for a tag $ ? I know NJ dnr likes money more then wildlife. Glad those things are far and few around me. But we have more then are share of hogs.

09-Oct-16
it's pretty steep - $2

10-Oct-16
We have had a massive influx of New Jersey bears at my land over the border in New York. The New Jersey bears are a very aggressive so please knock a bunch down:)

10-Oct-16
Good luck!!!

10-Oct-16
Good luck Jack! Please post up some pics and weights of bears if you see any being taken, etc. I'd love to see how big some of those beasts are! Get a good one!

10-Oct-16
Jack, Jack, Jack!!!!!!! You out there. I'm working and checking here and on the Nj threads to see how the hunt is going. I'm pretending to be doing this hunt with my neighbors to the east. Ed

10-Oct-16
Anybody thinking new world record?

10-Oct-16

Jack Harris's Link
I went out, and of course was covered in deer all morning until 10:15. Watched this guy eat acorns all around me for an hour, then make this rub for an hour. The kind of rub you would say "big buck made that" well a little buck did! Saw him scratch it with front hooves too, and lick and eat it.... Enjoy the footage!

10-Oct-16

Jack Harris's Link
see if this link works better.

10-Oct-16
Jack, I would come to NJ to hunt bear if you would guide me !

Then, I could add to the thread " Outfitters from Hell ", and you could add to the thread " Hunters from Hell ". Win, win ! :)

Good luck !

10-Oct-16

Jack Harris's MOBILE embedded Photo
Jack Harris's MOBILE embedded Photo

A woman I know just shot a rather large specimen. She is as avid a huntress u will ever find. She even self filmed it.

10-Oct-16
Great for her..

10-Oct-16
Received a text this morning from my buddy in NJ. He shot a 398# bear. Looking forward to hearing the whole story soon

10-Oct-16
Surprised there are no outfitters starting up and guiding people ?

10-Oct-16
Keep us posted!

10-Oct-16
The CBS news at 5 o'clock reported that at least five bears had been killed. I think the total will be more than that

10-Oct-16

Pete In Fairbanks's embedded Photo
Pete In Fairbanks's embedded Photo
Jack,

This is a 6 year old photo, but I think I recognize that bear butt...!

Pete

10-Oct-16
That bear shot today by that gal weighed in at 472# dressed and 525# live. I know of at least a few dozen that were shot and I surmise it will be a helluva lot more for the one day total. Almost everyone I know that put the effort in and ran baits from July forward, connected today. If they didn't connect - they at least saw some smaller bears. I put zero effort into it, I was not all that excited to shoot one to be honest but I sort of got into it a few days prior and did no real baiting although I put out some Moultrie bear magnet oil which smelled great. I saw more deer in my woods today than I did all last year combined, which made me quite happy.

10-Oct-16
Fish and game had 27 bear is checked in at 2 PM

10-Oct-16
Jack, go get one of those bird feeder stealing over grown raccoons!

Wish Pa would allow baiting for archery bear.

11-Oct-16
202 day 1... It was a good day, and I bet many will make P&Y except for those shot with x-bow

11-Oct-16

Too Many Bows Bob's Link
Here's an idea for baiting. Good luck guys.

TMBB

11-Oct-16
There were 3 bears killed in the area I was hunting. One not 100 yards from me

16-Oct-16
Any world record rumors yet?

16-Oct-16
we are getting some bad PR for an archer shooting the bear that was an internet sensation for walking upright all the time. he was named "pedals" which makes no sense unless he was a bike rider. regardess he's dead and the PR is not good

• Sitka Gear