Beendare 10-Oct-16
smarba 10-Oct-16
Owl 10-Oct-16
Mad Trapper 11-Oct-16
Fuzzy 13-Oct-16
Mr.C 13-Oct-16
BigOzzie 13-Oct-16
09-Oct-16
Ok. So, I know this may sound stupid but what are your thoughts on how effective deterring a bear or lion from attacking using an air horn be? Also, I was curious if barking like a dog would deter a bear or lion? I know it may sound crazy, but don't bears and lions run from dogs usually? Again, I am half serious about this but thought it might provoke sound interesting conversation.

10-Oct-16
Hillary barked like a dog and so far she hasn't been attacked by a bear or lion, so it may work.

10-Oct-16
You do realize that dogs usually run at the bear or lion while barking. I doubt that you look enough like a dog to pull it off , lol, get some pepper spray!

10-Oct-16
Not sure many bears or lions would want to take a bite out of that hag.

10-Oct-16
Dept of Fish and Game would have to give the bears and lions rabies shots

10-Oct-16
I used an air horn on a black bear in NJ that was walking at me and it did not have much affect on it. A charging Grizzly you would be screwed.

10-Oct-16
Just make sure that the air horn has a VERY small horn, and is as smooth as possible. This way when the Grizzly shoves it in you it won't hurt quite as much.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to get some Hillary camo. Even a predator wouldn't eat anything that dry and bitter.

10-Oct-16
it just might work.

let us know how you make out with the tactic.

10-Oct-16
I don't expect to encounter a bear or lion anytime soon. Just randomly thought about it. The dog thing made me think that they may be conditioned to run from them. Interesting to hear the air horn had no effect.

10-Oct-16
44 makes an air horn sound like it's whispering...... one of the few things you hear about in the sidearm/spray debate. (I said sidearm.... rifle/shotgun it's no debate IMO)

You don't have to wait until they are on top of you and you don't have to shoot them. (nice to have the gun out and at ready just in case too) But I've heard numerous reports of warning shots fired that deterred the bear that was showing, um, too much interest....

WRT the dog barking.... just hope it's not in CA.... there are cats that live on dogs in parts of CA.....

10-Oct-16
Interesting that it didn't deter the black bear. Seems like it would work on a black. Wonder if the bear spray folks had considered incorporating it into bear spray? And yes Hitlary is safe from anything with a heartbeat grizz included.

10-Oct-16
TD beat me to it, many mountain lions consider barking dogs an easy meal!

10-Oct-16
I wouldn't worry about cougars. They are ambush predators. The first inkling you will have of an attack will be as he lands on your back. As often as it happens, it's not even worth a second thought. But if you want to try it, you should bark like several dogs. Cat versus wolf = dead wolf. Cat versus 2+ wolves = dead cat. I have even seen a pack of coyotes chase a cougar.

10-Oct-16
I was just in Alaska fishing. Our guide carried an air horn, bear spray and a 44.

10-Oct-16
I bet the barking trick would work on Black bears...especially in areas where they have been run by hounds or possibly areas with wolves.

On Grizz...I doubt it.

10-Oct-16
As Beendare says, I think barking would only (possibly) work where lions/bears have been run by dogs before.

Also in most cases I do not believe the sound of a gun would do anything to deter.

I personally saw an "interested" galloping grizzly (not actually charging) giver ZERO reaction to a .270 warning shot fired at a distance of less than 50 yards.

Friend who went to Africa said when PH fired rounds directly over the heads of African lions at relatiely close range they didn't even flinch.

10-Oct-16
"I was just in Alaska fishing. Our guide carried an air horn, bear spray and a 44."

-The 44 angers the bear, the spray seasons the meat and airhorn is the dinner bell. Makes sense.;)

11-Oct-16
Anybody think of Caddy Shack when they saw this post?

13-Oct-16
good luck with that

13-Oct-16
YOU FIRST!

13-Oct-16
I have chased a bear barking like a dog, it works. BUT the situation was not a tense one, we were living in a camper and came home to find a sow and two cubs black bear in the garbage can. We (dad and I) bailed out of the truck barking like dogs. The bears ran, the sow ran the cubs up a tree then she ran off. We stood at the base of the tree and the cubs came down to shoulder height and we petted them and they climbed back up the tree. They were tiny spring cubs. Soon we heard the sow popping her jaw and we ran like heck back to the truck.

that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

The bears were not threatening us. I don't think I would bark at a bear that was threatening, in fact I don't think I would do this again under any circumstance. The popping jaw sound makes the hair on your neck stand up. Kinda cool.

oz

• Sitka Gear