Native Okie 16-Oct-16
jstephens61 17-Oct-16
Kurt 17-Oct-16
BigRed 18-Oct-16
olebuck 18-Oct-16
tradi-doerr 18-Oct-16
CO Elkaholic 18-Oct-16
14-Oct-16
i'm from the south and have been out west the last 5 years on DIY hunts. mostly with my two brothers. I was grounded this year due to having a baby.

we have been using a older pop up camper which has worked good, but we no longer have that option.

I have been gathering materials to build a new trailer to haul most of our camping gear, and atv. the trailer will have some dry storage for tents, cots, chainsaw, generator, camping supplies, battery/inverter, etc. there would also be built in spots for the following.

20/30 gallon food grade water drum propane tanks racks for 2 large coolers spot for 5 CUFt deep freezer cargo area for small ATV fuel tanks

maybe a few integrated lights for camp lighting. possibly a propane burner built in for cooking, with a roll out canopy / shelter to cook under.

been looking at these two builders as a basis for ideas and layout.

http://www.flextrailers.com/

http://www.schuttindustries.com/XVENTURE/Trailers/XV-Series/XV2.aspx

any ideas you guys may have post them up......

never to late to start preparing.

14-Oct-16
For the money I have looked at converting an enclosed trailer...

14-Oct-16
olebuck- A BS poster had a slick converted trailer set up on an older thread. (Steve?) When the search function is up, maybe we can link that old thread as folks posted many different ideas.

15-Oct-16

Kolbeck's embedded Photo
Kolbeck's embedded Photo
Kolbeck's embedded Photo
Kolbeck's embedded Photo
Kolbeck's embedded Photo
Kolbeck's embedded Photo

15-Oct-16
That is nice. I'd ditch the cots and install some fold down sleeping platforms that can store up right when not in use or could double as sitting benches.

15-Oct-16

Greg / MO's embedded Photo
Greg / MO's embedded Photo
This has been elk camp for the past five years or so... One year in that stretch I was running a bit low on funds and couldn't afford to pull it out so I took the company car and a tent to save on money, but it sure is nice when you have these kind of amenities :)

16-Oct-16

tacklebox's embedded Photo
tacklebox's embedded Photo
I can testify that Gregs trailer doesn't suck ;)

16-Oct-16
For the money you can just buy a used toy hauler and you'll get a shower and it'll be insulated. Unless you just want to do the conversion for the fun of it.

16-Oct-16

TX Cazador's embedded Photo
I use the "KISS" method so I can stay mobile
TX Cazador's embedded Photo
I use the "KISS" method so I can stay mobile

16-Oct-16
I like the enclosed trailer method because you can add as much as you need and keep the cost low. The other benefit is you can use it to store all of your gear in during the winter. Keeps things simple at home.

16-Oct-16
I'm moving to an enclosed trailer next year. Very versatile.

17-Oct-16
What size enclosed trailer would you recommend. I can put my quad in the truck. I'm thinking a 7x12 or 14.

17-Oct-16
I bought a 6' X 12' CargoMate single axle trailer to haul my RZR and camp in. Cost about $5,000 2 years ago. I upgraded it with insulation on walls and roof, 2 stabilizing jacks on the back, 3' wide RV style am way door with screen door, inside lock. Etc. Also a folding jack versus the vertical fixed style. Got two 30" X 30" sliding and screened Windows. Finally got the high clearance Dexter axle, spare tire and radials all around. Really happy with it as a small hauler and small camping trailer. It already has made 3 trips from BC to CO, one to AZ, and a a lot around home. Nothing not to like about it. I went with barn doors in the back and use a ramp I store under the trailer to load a quad or the RZR.

For camping I simply use a cot, folding table, 4,000 btu catalytic heater, an led light on the ceiling over the table and one burner Coleman stove, etc. Added about 25 large cup hooks to hang clothes up, etc. Also put up a dollar store paper towel rack. Due to the height I Carry a milk crate to facilitate stepping in and out of the unit.

18-Oct-16
What you described is a Jumping Jack trailer. Look them up online.

18-Oct-16
TX Cazador,

That is really similar to what I am wanting to do. an enclosed trailer is just to much for us to pull 1500 miles. plus we drive to some pretty rough places when we go to NM.

My pop up camper was modified to have more ground clearance.

the jumping jack trailer are cool, but I'm more interested in a trailer to haul cargo and gear, I would prefer a nice spacious tent for sleeping.

18-Oct-16
I've been in two feet of snow watching the baseball game from a lazy boy the day before the season opener at 12,000 ft in a trailer just like Greg's. I sure felt sorry for those guys that were tent camping. -10 is on the cold side for me when sleeping out.

It has spoiled me for late season hunts.

18-Oct-16

tradi-doerr's embedded Photo
tradi-doerr's embedded Photo
My hunting buddy bought a 5x10 last year and it worked so well for him I bought one for this year. light weight and spacious enough for all my/son's gear and then some. And we can keep all the food inside and not have to worry anymore about the bears getting into it, and can lock up expensive things when away from camp.

18-Oct-16

CO Elkaholic's embedded Photo
CO Elkaholic's embedded Photo
This is one my brother and I built that works real well. It's set up to haul 2 ATV's but we use it for food storage as well.

• Sitka Gear