elkmtngear 20-Oct-16
TD 20-Oct-16
The last savage 20-Oct-16
wyobullshooter 20-Oct-16
Z Barebow 20-Oct-16
APauls 21-Oct-16
>>>---WW----> 21-Oct-16
19-Oct-16
I got to thinking the other day about the use of Decoys. Out of all the elk either my Son or I or the 5 of us on the ElkNut Crew have taken or assisted in not one elk has been taken with the use of one! Interesting! No doubt there are a time & place for them but obviously not "a have to have" item. I've carried one on several occasions but it seemed cumbersome & not easy & quick to use. I believe hunting dark timber really minimizes the necessity for one.

Have you taken an elk where you felt a Decoy made the difference in filling a tag? Who doesn't use them but still enjoys successful call-ins & kills?

ElkNut1

19-Oct-16
I have taken 1 cow with a decoy. I believe it worked because the cow was being harassed by a young bull and came to the calls looking for some relief from the pretty persistent bull. I was set up on the edge of the meadow where they were and my partner was just down the edge from me with the decoy calling. He was in a slight depression and I was up a bit higher in elevation. The cow could not see him or the decoy until she was even with me in the field if that makes sense. When she saw the decoy she slammed on the brakes and I took a chip shot at 10 yards. If I had not shot she would have blown out of there. She didn't like the decoy at all. Funny story, she went 60 yards back toward the bull and layed down. He horned her until she stood up and ran her into some awful deadfall where she died. When she death moaned he came out looking for the source of our calling but we had a pretty poor setup and he didn't totally commit. I have also used the decoy to cross meadows that elk were in at a distance and it worked like a charm. They looked up and went back to feeding.

19-Oct-16
I've never used one and called in, and killed, elk under three yards! This year's elk bugled once, then came in on a string and at under 10 yards stopped to trash a tree. That was his last act of dominance! Between myself and my hunting partners, we have taken over two dozen elk with a bow and not once used a decoy.

19-Oct-16
 photo Kenny Hero Shot_zpsiazvrmhl.jpg

photo Jeff Hero Shot_zpsmesplogt.jpg

Paul, Of course, you know I was in the Business, but we've taken quite a few bulls where I feel the decoy helped an incoming bull "close the gap"

My partner and I took both of these bulls in NM this Season, using the butt decoy, with NO vocal calling (except to stop the bull for the shot)

Best of Luck, Jeff

19-Oct-16
My wife, who is good with sewing and pie making, said that she could make an elk cow butt that would look as good as the store bought variety.

I hunted with it for 2 seasons and all I can say is she apparently did not make a heterosexual version because it didn't bring one bull into my bow range. Or sight range. Or hearing range.

She still makes great pies.

19-Oct-16
I've killed one bull with a decoy (and some calling) and it was one of the most amazing experiences I've had bow hunting. I carried that thing around for miles/years after and have never had it work again like it did that one time.

19-Oct-16
I used a "Heads Up" deke last year. I was hunting a park and had a bull bugling at my 10 o'clock over the hill out of sight. He got quite for around 3 minutes; I looked to my 3:00 o'clock and there he stood 250 yards locked on staring at the deke. He came to around 80 yards and would not commit. I killed a cow that came to check the deke later.

19-Oct-16
I've carried one around with me for many seasons and have used it a few times but never had it work. It's weird to me as it most definitely SHOULD work. I could say similar about turkey decoys though. I've had those work a few times but have killed way more turkeys without. I think it's one of those right time,right place, right animal things. Certainly not a required item for success.

19-Oct-16
A few things I've witnessed:

A lot of bulls tend to "freeze up" when they see the decoy. If you're in a team situation, it's easy to get them to commit at that point, by raking the ground, or softly cow calling from behind the decoy. I've done both, and watched bulls visibly relax, lay their ears back, and start circling right in, to get hammered by the shooter out front.

Solo is tough. I rarely deploy the decoy unless I believe I'm inside 80 yards or so, and then I'll plant it, call aggressively, and move ahead immediately and off to the side.

Did this last Season (moving in between 2 vocal bulls), and ended up missing a bull at 35 yds broadside, when he stopped to look at the decoy. Chirped with my diaphragm after he jumped, and he came straight in, looking "through" me at the decoy. I was able to draw on him quickly as he came inside 15 yds, unfortunately, he only left half his chest out from behind a tree, preventing me from taking the frontal. I believe the decoy had him convinced enough to almost allow me a second opportunity.

As AZBugler said, it depends on the bull and the situation. I'll deploy it when I think it will make a difference.

Best of Luck, Jeff

19-Oct-16
I've used one on 3 different occasions, with less than desired results. First two times were several years ago out of my treestand. On two separate occasions, had a cow come in, spot the decoy, hit the brakes...and haul a$$ back the way they came. Needless to say, I quit using a decoy there! lol! Honestly, I think it had more to do with the setup rather than the decoy itself. It's pretty thick in where my stand is, so the elk were 20yds or so from the decoy when they first saw it. I think if they first see it from a distance, the results would probably be much different.

This year I decided to try one in a saddle that I like to hunt in the mornings. Figured if one saw it from the far side of the saddle, it would be 80yds or so and might just be the ticket for making a bull commit. Only one problem...small bull instead came over the ridge 15yds from where I had the decoy. He literally turned inside out when he saw it!

Moral of the story? I know some people like Jeff have had great success with decoys, but I think I'll just leave mine home from now on. ;-)

20-Oct-16
I've bowhunted to 40 yrs..never tried a decoy..until 2 yrs ago in central Illinois..I bought I think was a Montana decoy,cardboard buck that looked great.i put him up,named him floppy due to the wind blowing I'm around.first set ,two separate times a small buck came investigating floppy from a woodlot 100 yards away.both bucks trotted off after getting within bow range..my buddies suggestion was to make ole flop into a doe,so I took a knife ,and cut his antlers off neatly and layed the cardboard antlers the night table next to the bed.this blowhard know it all from the room next door stands in our doorway talking total bs..he says to me,,, wat's that laying on the night stand?? never missed a beat...I said."those are sheds I found today!!! My buddy spit beer all over the dam place laughing....the guy just walks away.. never saw him again...I retired floppy.. he or she just never worked out..

20-Oct-16
Thanks guys!

Jeff, great bulls there, if anyone can have success with Dekes it would be you! (grin) Thanks!

ElkNut1

20-Oct-16
I've carried it quite a bit since I'm usually solo and thought it would give me an edge.

Only response I ever got was when I put "Miss September" up at a waterhole. A cow and calf came in to investigate. The cow hung up at 50 yards and stared at "Miss September" for a few minutes.

It seems that "Miss September" was just too much because that cow and calf couldn't leave out of there fast enough. Truthfully, "Miss September" shows just a little more than a respectable cow should.

20-Oct-16
Decoys on static setups (waterholes, etc.)...not so good IMHO. I almost always use mine "running and gunning" . After all, you're trying to convince other elk that you're an elk...the decoy can add some credibility if used in the right situation. But it's definitely not going to work in every situation. Just another tool for the arsenal.

Best of Luck, Jeff

20-Oct-16
I've killed a couple bulls with em. Bulls that hang up are usually coming into a call and looking for an elk. They don't see one, they get nervous.

Very first time we popped out a MT deke years ago (Cameltoes) we were making a few cow calls and a little rag bull 1/2 or 3/4 mile away on the next ridge just lifted his head to look and then go back to eating. We popped out the deke, called, he saw it in a second and literally came in on a rope at a trot, mewing like a cow as he got closer. Like he was asking permission to come in. Used a Heads Up on a rag bull this year we bumped up from his bed. He settled right down for a minute..... until the wind swirled... we weren't going to shoot him anyway, but very interesting his reaction.

After that first time, I was a believer. They aren't magic. We don't always have one, but just one more tool. I'd guess the more folks use them the more elk get educated to them, like calling. Toss the stakes, like to hang em with light wire from a tree limb, maybe brushed up just a bit. light and fast.

I don't think I'd use it at water. I've seen herds take turns using water before.... didn't seem to want to all be there at the same time? Would be more of a "surprise!" than in a calling situation when they are looking for elk.

20-Oct-16
Sorry guys I didn't slow down long enough to see THAT IT WAS AN ELK THREAD.

20-Oct-16
We'll forgive you just this one time. ;-)

20-Oct-16
I have never pulled one in with decoy, yet. But situation has to be right. If I am set up in an ambush location, no decoy. And why use them in that situation? They are already coming. (EX Trail or water)

In my experience with deer decoys, they hate surprises. If they come around a corner and there it is, there they go! They need to see it from a distance.

21-Oct-16
No surprises exactly. They need to either be visible from afar, or accompanied with the proper noises in tight cover. In tight is not usually when you'll use the decoy though, because the animal is already close, which basically relegates the use to more open areas.

21-Oct-16
Tried one on antelope at a water hole. Had two bucks hang up at over 100 yards and just stand there and scold my decoy. They never would come in to water.

I have been able to cross open meadows with in 50 yards of feeding elk by holding a burlap feed sack out behind me and holding my bow with the other hand over my head. They looked up once but never spooked.

Another time I called a bull using the gunny sack. So they do work sometimes.

• Sitka Gear