huntinelk 26-Mar-18
Treeline 26-Mar-18
Charlie Rehor 27-Mar-18
sticksender 27-Mar-18
Smtn10PT 27-Mar-18
MeanMachine 27-Mar-18
MathewsMan 28-Mar-18
20-Oct-16
After looking into goat hunting on Kodiak for a while, I had decided that it was on the definite to do list. I liked that the population was high enough to allow a 2 goat limit and they could be hunted when the hair was prime. Last February while at the Harrisburg sports show, I passed Gus Lamoureux booth and noticed his goat pictures and also that he was offering a pretty good deal on a 5 day goat hunt. After alot of pacing and quickly thinking it over, I decided to do what I never do I impulse bought the hunt. Even though it was only 5 days, he said most of his gun hunters were done in 1 - 2 days. They had only had a few bowhunters , but figured if they put me in an area with alot of goats the rest would be up to me anyway. The hunt was booked for Oct 17th.

20-Oct-16
Nice! Bring it on...

20-Oct-16

huntinelk's embedded Photo
Loading the Widgeon
Loading the Widgeon
Of course time flew by from Feb, other hunts , work and family obligations. I also was breaking in a new Hoyt Defiant Turbo, I did alot of shooting out to 120 yards, along with tweaking and tuning it to be ready to take the place of my Carbon Element. The day that I was to leave was also my grandmother's 90th birthday party. After attending the party for an hour I was on my way to Philadelphia airport. I left Philadelphia at 6pm and arrived at Kodiak airport at 7:30am without a whole lot of sleeping in between. Gus' hunters charter to his camp with Harvey's Flying Service , on their Widgeon plane, there is only about 100 of them left in service. They can take off and land on land or water.

20-Oct-16

20-Oct-16

Bob behind the scope.
Bob behind the scope.
Some of the area we were hunting
Some of the area we were hunting
Cabin
Cabin
When we arrived at Gus' place it was a quick turn over. I was introduced to my guide Bob, he really likes to talk...alot, I think he drew the short straw and had to take the bowhunter. Sort gear, change clothes , shoot bow, throw everything that was left in the cabin. We were on our way across the bay and up the mountain, to pass the time after flying , before legal hunting time. I told Bob that my goal was a mature billy. That evening we glassed 24 goats before dark, but only a couple billys and they were a little young. Still a very encouraging start, we hit our tents just after dark, a short while later , I heard snow hitting my tent.

20-Oct-16

Bob behind the scope.
Bob behind the scope.
The billy in question. Looks like a good one to me.
The billy in question. Looks like a good one to me.
The next morning we were up ready to go, when it finally got daylight at 8:00. Looking for white goats in the fresh snow, we weren't spotting as many as the night before, but we did spot a billy that deserved a closer look and he was in an accessible spot. Off we go bush wacking up the side of the mountains, through salmon berry, Devils club, and alder brush all covered with snow. My Katahola micro spikes and hiking pole were both a big help.

20-Oct-16
When we finally get to were the billy was, of course he is gone. There some tracks going straight up the mountain, where we couldn't get to, but there were also some going farther around the mountain. After some more bushwacking and a couple up and downs and a few more slip and falls we find him again. Bob set up the scope and after a quick look I decide he meets my criteria, it's on.....getting ready for my first stalk at a goat with a bow in my hand 10:00am on day one.

20-Oct-16
Oh yes.... looking forward to this. This is on my bucket list. Ed F

20-Oct-16
My bucket list too! Keep it coming!

20-Oct-16

The hat and horns before I left home
The hat and horns before I left home
We have good cover in the rocks and behind the contour of the mountain up to 120 yards, then it is pretty open for about 70 yards. I had taken a goat costume with me complete with horns, I figured this would be a good time to try them out. After reading about others success with them, I felt pretty good and just a little goofy.

20-Oct-16

This is the mountain that my first goat stalk is happening on. The goat is about 50 yards on the left side of the stream and about 3/4 of the way to the top. I am able to get above him and stalk across then down towards him.

20-Oct-16
We are still here.......!

Mark

20-Oct-16

Bob stayed at 120 yards to watch and to get some video. I moved slowly and not in a direct line, staying as low as I could when I was in the goats sight. When he looked towards me I would stop and act like a goat scrounging around for food. He seemed very unconcerned about me moving in above him.

20-Oct-16

Arrow ready to go
Arrow ready to go
Once I was across the stream a little way I was able to get out of his sight and head straight down to a rock that was above him, I figured it would be around 30 yards when I got to the rock. As I closed in on the rock I nocked an arrow, then crawled out on the rock to where I figured I would be able to see him clear and get a shot if he was still there. I got to the edge of the rock rangefinder ready and as I peaked over the edge...

20-Oct-16

Can see the shot location in this picture.
Can see the shot location in this picture.
He is still in the same spot, I punch the Leopold, it says 31 yards angle compensated. Not sure what the angle was, but it was pretty steep. I get up to my knees , I draw, making sure the bottom cam is going to miss the rock. As the pin hits that tuft of hair I'm focusing on the arrow is on its way. It hits the mark going to the fletches. He makes one jump and is over the edge. I think holy crap I just killed a goat on my first stalk. I hollered to Bob to see if he can see him laying at the bottom of the cliff, I know he is down there dead....then I find out just how tough goats can be. In the picture you can see the location of the shot, it looks like money to me.

21-Oct-16
So awesome! Keep it coming.

21-Oct-16
Bob and I head down to the level that the goat went towards. We found his tracks and blood crossing back over the stream. We follow him farther than I was expecting to, a couple times he turns to go up then continues on the same level. We come around the contour of the mountain and he is standing head down at 150 yards. We decided just to watch him and give him some time. After a half an hour he slowly moves into a shallow ditch that we can't see him in , but could see if he comes out. We plan to wait an hour and then go over and hopefully pick him up. We cooked some lunch and had some hot drinks to warm up and pass the hour.

21-Oct-16
As we head to the area that we last seen him, there is a narrow rock ledge that we have to go around one at a time. Bob goes around first and turns back says there he is and he's up. By the time I get around the ledge he has gotten over the next hill where I can't get a shot and he is heading into the cliffs...not good. I hurry to the top of the next hill, he is still moving slowly away. He is 95 yards, I spin the Black Gold sight to 95, worrying about him getting into the cliffs, I rush the shot, I hear the arrow hit the goat then the rocks, but I don't have any idea where I hit him. He made a turn into the cliffs towards a steep narrow shoot, again not a good thing.

21-Oct-16
After about a minute he came back out of the narrow shoot, he isn't able to climb it. Bob calls the distance 101, I spin the Black Gold again , Bob said watch the wind. I adjust for the wind holding just in front of the goat, just as I touch the trigger the wind stops, the arrow hits exactly where I was holding. The next arrow is on the string the goat has turned but still the same distance this time I hold on the goat, and send the arrow on its way. This time it hits him behind the last rib angling hard forward. He soaks up the shot and makes a jump over the top out of sight into the cliffs.

21-Oct-16
We only had one option to get towards where we last saw him go. We dropped a bit and bushwacked through some brush, coming around the bottom of the cliffs. As we get around it a raven is circling and calling up in a narrow hollow in the cliffs. Bob was on the up hill side, and said he was going to check. A few minutes later I hear what I was so hoping to hear, Bob said "here is your goat". Then about 10 seconds later, he said "crap he's not dead". I took off scrambling as fast as I can up into the cliffs. As I rounded the rocks there is the goat at about 18 yards and he has gotten up into the rocks about 30 feet straight above me. I send the last arrow in my quiver on the way. The goat lost his footing and did his best flying squirrel impersonation, hitting the ground less than 20 feet from me and rolling down the mountain towards Bob.

21-Oct-16

I finally got to put my hands on him.
I finally got to put my hands on him.
Maybe a little goofy, but this is how I was dressed when I stalked him the first time.
Maybe a little goofy, but this is how I was dressed when I stalked him the first time.
We finally had him on the ground. He is everything I had hoped for and then some. He had a big body, awesome long hair and 9 inch horns. He was 5 years old. I don't have much to compare it too, but he looks huge to me.

21-Oct-16
Wow! That was one heck of a hunt! Congratulations on the long follow-up shots, making it count when needed.

21-Oct-16
It is unbelievable how tough of an animal they are. I had heard it plenty of times , but now have experienced it first hand.

After the picture session and congratulations where over, we skinned and cut him up. Then began the long downhill back to the tents. Just as it was getting dark and we are opproaching the tents, we see a bear about 1/2 mile away, luckily he headed the opposite direction. The next morning we got up and broke camp in the alternating rain and snow. We hiked back down to the ocean and were taken back across the bay to camp. After we arrived at camp we found that both other hunters in camp had killed their goats the first day too.

21-Oct-16
Goats can soak up arrows and lead with ease sometimes. Then again, some just give up. Enjoyed the story!

21-Oct-16
Incredible. Grats on your goat.

Where'd all those arrows end up hitting?

21-Oct-16
Goats can soak up arrows and lead with ease sometimes. Then again, some just give up. Enjoyed the story!

21-Oct-16
Thing looks flippin' HUGE to me..... congrats!

21-Oct-16
Nice billy!! Congrats and good shooting! Hunt

21-Oct-16
It's insane how many Goats are down there isn't it? I too just wrapped up my first archery goat hunt. Congrats on a great accomplishment man!

21-Oct-16
What a great hunt thanks for posting by the way what did the hunt cost Thnaks Shane

21-Oct-16
Thanks for sharing---

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

21-Oct-16
excellent and congrats on beautiful goat and great shooting and wonderful story.

21-Oct-16
Congrats on the goat. Great story.

21-Oct-16
Wow...That's some fine shooting! Glad you didnt run out of arrows.

A big CONGRATS! Awesome looking good. The hair is beautiful.

21-Oct-16
Need to borrow that hat Ed. WOW ! GOOD DEAL , VERY EXCITING

21-Oct-16
Congratulations. He's a beauty!!!

21-Oct-16
Congratulations & thanks for sharing! Awesome goat! :)

>>>>-------->

21-Oct-16
Great hunt and nice billy. Thanks for sharing!

21-Oct-16
Awesome story! Congrats!

21-Oct-16
Beautiful mature Billy with great hair....congratulations on gettin 'er done Gene!

21-Oct-16
Beautiful Goat. Well done and congratulations!

21-Oct-16
CONGRATS on a great billy!!! Fantastic story!

21-Oct-16
A big congrats!!! A great Billy for sure!!! Your goat suit is the bomb!!!

Mark

21-Oct-16
Congrats!! Way to stay with it, I know exactly how you feel when he was heading for the cliffs.

21-Oct-16
Awesome billy and story. Thanks for posting.

21-Oct-16
Congrats - what a thrill! An empty quiver doesn't always mean bad shooting :) Thanks for sharing

21-Oct-16
I leave for BC in the morning and I didn't think it was possible to be more excited until I read this story. Great goat! Congrats

21-Oct-16
Gene, that is one hell of a story and great pics. I really liked that a lot as I set here in my office, just waiting to head for Nebraska next week. Thanks for filling in the time.

my best, Paul

21-Oct-16
How did that first shot not put him down fast. The picture looks perfect

21-Oct-16
Beautiful goat and great story. Congrats!

21-Oct-16
Great story...Great Goat...With Halloween coming, I can see Mark's wheels turning for his new costume!

21-Oct-16
Outstanding... Congratulations. I'm gonna do this. Ed F

21-Oct-16
Congrats on a nice goat!

21-Oct-16
Congrats! Goats are awesome! Mike

21-Oct-16
Great looking goat!

Headed there now and this thread gets me excited.

Shot placement looks a touch high in that picture. Not much though. Either way you got him and he's a beauty!

21-Oct-16
Congrats! Thanks for sharing your story. Tell us about your hat construction. What did you use?

22-Oct-16
Thanks for all the compliments. Even though it was a short hunt it had plenty of up and downs.

The first shot went in just above, almost touching the shoulder blade angling sharply downwards, but it angled back bit too much and got liver and guts. Looking back , I'm pretty sure if instead of waiting an hour to follow up, we had waited 3 or 4 hours this would have been a one arrow story...

The whole goat suit cost about $15 from ebay, basic tyvek painters suit, cheap white beanie hat, the horns are cheap plastic devil horns, they even had blinking lights in them. I spray painted the horns and headband with primer then wrapped the horns with black electrical tape.

There is a crazy amount of goats there. The morning I left, I was standing on the cabin porch with 10x binoculars and could count 30 goats.

Gene

05-Jan-17
I made it up to my nearest P&Y measurer last night. The official numbers on the goat are 9" and 9 1/8" lengths and 45 2/8" net score. The hide is at the taxidermist, I'm doing a life size mount.

Gene

05-Jan-17
Big Congrats !!

05-Jan-17
SWEET! Nice job! thanks for sharing. PM sent.

05-Jan-17
I'm late here...But what a fantastic story!!! Love your enthusiasm to use the goat suit!!! Can't wait o see that full body mount!!! Congrats and some fine shooting as well....

05-Jan-17
Great hunt and write up!! Congrats!!! Matt

05-Jan-17
Great job Gene! Post up pics of your mount when done!

Mark

06-Jan-17
That is a good score and no doubt the mount is beautiful.

Congrats again

Good luck, Robb

06-Jan-17
Don't know how I missed this one earlier. Great goat and awesome pics, congrats!

06-Jan-17
What a great hunt and awesome goat! Glad you shared it with us. Well done sir!!

21-Jan-17
Amazing, great write up...Would love to do this hunt!

21-Jan-17
Glad this thread got brought back up. Great read. Congrats!!

06-Apr-17
May have missed it, but can we get details on the arrow/bow setup?

Thanks!

06-Apr-17
Great trip, And Hunt thanks for sharing.

06-Apr-17
Bow was Hoyt Defiant Turbo 70 pounds Gold tip 250's, with a little extra weight up front, 4 fletch Blazers, 100 Rage extreme and 100 grain exodus was used. 462 grain total weight.

26-Apr-17
Thanks!

19-Aug-17

24-Dec-17

26-Mar-18

I went and picked up the mount today. My trophy room is over full, so we had to be a little creative to make use of the least amount of space possible. The bottom goat was from 2009, my taxidermist was able to make a stand and combine that mount with the new one.

26-Mar-18

26-Mar-18
That is a really cool mount! Congratulations on a great hunt and a great momento!

27-Mar-18
Mountain Goats are so beautiful. Enjoy!

27-Mar-18
Looks good!

27-Mar-18
Love those mounts! Congrats

27-Mar-18
Nice Goats!!! I hunted there in 1998.

28-Mar-18
Fantastic. You are in need of constructing a tall game room!

• Sitka Gear