Ibow 25-Oct-16
Mr.C 25-Oct-16
wraith8 25-Oct-16
LBshooter 25-Oct-16
wraith8 25-Oct-16
25-Oct-16

Too Many Bows Bob's embedded Photo
Too Many Bows Bob's embedded Photo
Finally, on my 10th bear hunt I get my first bear, but that's another story. I went to Saskatchewan and got a nice bear, and decided for many reasons to use the local taxidermist that my outfitter used. The price was right and as it turened out is was a good thing that I left the hide, as my luggage didn't show up for three days after I got back

After the wait for the CITIES permit, the taxidermist finally contacted me to say that everything was ready to go and that the tanned skin would be shipped directly. Well, the short version of the next several weeks is that FedEx won't accept bear skins as they would have to file the papers with US Customs on the way over the border which would slow them down. I called FedEx and they were most unhelpful, attitude and all. My taxidermist has found alternative shipping and I should have my skin next week. But what a mess. Just wanted to warn everyone.

TMBB

25-Oct-16
nice bear. It will be worth the wait.

Just curious where you hunted for 9 trips without getting bear. That as to be a record you are glad to have behind you.

25-Oct-16
So is he using Canada Post then?

25-Oct-16
Congrats on your bear and I'm glad everything worked out with getting your hide home. Stressful stuff!

25-Oct-16
next time tell them its just a rug...congrats nice bear

25-Oct-16
I went with my Dad and brother to New Brunswick bear hunting earlier this year. Dad and I both tagged one and took them to the taxidermist the outfitter uses. He's close enough to the border, he'll make a trip or two each month into Maine to ship his hides and heads. I thought it was because the shipping charges and taxes were cheaper, but your issue may be the reason he does that instead. Nice bear by the way. Glad you were finally able to tag one.

25-Oct-16
How did they know what was in your package?

25-Oct-16
I would assume, if he was shipping from Saskatchewan to the US, the taxidermist had to declare the contents of the package. I know if I ship something from work to our plant in Mexico, there's a bunch of documentation that has to be filled out specifying what's being shipped, what it's made of, how many pieces, and what it's worth. I would think shipping something from Canada to the US wouldn't be much different.

• Sitka Gear